Important note: This Wiki page is edited by participants of the EOWG. It does not necessarily represent consensus and it may have incorrect information or information that is not supported by other Working Group participants, WAI, or W3C. It may also have some very useful information.


EOWG Meetings 2020

From Education & Outreach
Jump to: navigation, search

EOWG Meetings main page

Draft minutes are available at the end of the teleconference at the URI: http://www.w3.org/YYYY/MM/DD-eo-minutes where YYYY is the year, MM is the month, and DD the date. <-- you have to change that in the linked URI :)

Contents

18 December 2020 Teleconference

18 December 2020 Minutes

People who missed the meeting and have read or skimmed minutes:

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020

Agenda 18 Dec

  1. Media bullets — discuss possible changes after survey input (survey replies), background in 147.
  2. COGA Content Usable doc (Editor's Draft) and EOWG comments (google doc)
  3. Outreach and promote W3Cx course
  4. Work for this Month
    • Promote the course
    • COGA Content Usable survey due 11 January
  5. Happy New Year!


04 December 2020 Teleconference

04 December 2020 Minutes

People who missed the meeting and have read or skimmed minutes:

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020
  • [done] Sylvie, 14 December 2020

Agenda 04 Dec

  1. WCAG supporting document redesign (<45 minutes) (Hidde, Shawn)
  2. W3Cx education course (<45 minutes) (Shawn)
    • Outreach
    • EOWG input on course update in 2021 (hopefully) — plan for course review over the next 6+ weeks (e.g., What is wrong and should be corrected asap? What sections need significant copyediting? (all needs minor copyediting) Ideas for re-working some sections? Any videos need re-doing?)
  3. Making Audio and Video Media Accessible (remaining time) (Shawn)
  4. Work for this Week & Weekly Survey (5 minutes)

20 November 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Making Audio and Video Media Accessible approve updates based 30 Oct input (<30 minutes)
  2. How to Make Your Presentations Accessible to All edits for approval and open issues:
  3. Quick Tips for Making Audio and Video Media Accessible?
  4. Work for this Week (5 minutes)
    • Deadlines for additional comments on today's topics: Monday 23 November, then a few days off from EOWG work!

Summary

Following review and discussion of linked items above, the following resolutions were passed:

  • Accept changes to GitHub #126 and #127
  • Create a QuickTips page for media accessibility

Minutes of 20 November meeting

Participation

  • Present: Brent, Estella, Hidde, Jason, Laura, MarkPalmer, Shadi, Shawn, Sharron
  • Regrets: Howard, Kevin, Andrew, KrisAnne, Crystal

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Name, date
  • [done] Sylvie, 04 December 2020

13 November 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. How People with Disabilities Use the Web update (existing resource, requirements analysis, gap analysis)
    1. Review Objectives
    2. User Stories new Draft Mockup
      • Comments on format and sections of the mock-up?
      • Do we want both Barriers and Needs?
    3. Gap Analysis in progress — fyi, for later: Anything missing? What are the parameters for adding another story? Do we want to add a user story for Autism Spectrum Disorder?
    4. Who wants to contribute, particularly writing?
  2. How to Make Your Presentations Accessible to All
  3. Teleconferences in November and December reminder
  4. Work for this Week

Summary

Discussion of Agenda items. Indicators, conclusions, resolutions:

  1. Reaction was "WOW!" great work on How PWD Use Web by Kevin and Mark. Feedback included:
    • general structure accepted
    • tendency toward putting one persona per page as long as option exists for printing or downloading all on one.
    • maintain tech focus and use life experiences to enhance but not be major focus
    • think about wording of "Assistive Technology and Adaptive Strategies"
    • reconsider "top" in Top Barriers and Top Needs
    • will distribute cross referenced spreadsheet of needs covered in personas across W3C and consider mapping them to SCs or Principles
    • Sharron and Estella volunteered to help with writing
  2. How to Make Presentation Accessible, EO accepted minor changes made and approved by Chairs and passed the following to accept this rewording. RESOLUTION: "Consider how to use motion or animations, such as text or images flying in from the side. Is it useful and necessary? Certain types of motion can be particularly distracting for some people, and can make some people ill."
  3. WrapUp with thanks, reminder that we will have fewer meetings over year end holidays, and a look at Work for This Week.

Minutes of 13 November meeting

Participation

  • Present: Sharron, Laura, Shawn, Brent, Mark, Kevin, Estella, Shadi, Daniel, Vicki, Hidde, Jason, Sylvie, KrisAnne, Crystal,
  • Regrets: Howard, Andrew, Denis

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Name, date

06 November 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Curricula first page
    • Discuss proposed new approach (comment on overall structure, headings, etc. ; not yet wordsmithing)
    • Discuss change of "Introductory modules" to "Foundation modules"
    • Discuss expand-collapse or not, and options
  2. (if needed) WCAG-EM Report Tool update feedback on open design issues (~20 minutes)
  3. Accessibility icon set (draft page)
    • What formats to provide?
    • Any usage parameters?
    • Thoughts on location in IA and visibility in nav?
  4. November & December meeting schedule
  5. Work for this Week

Summary

Discussion of agenda items. Conclusions:

  1. New approach to curricula: accepted, approved
  2. Icon set: accepted
  3. Schedule: accepted
  4. Work for this week: acknowledged

Minutes of 06 November meeting

Participation

  • Present: Sharron, Shawn, Brent, Daniel, Crystal, Laura, Kevin, Hidde, Shadi, Vicki
  • Regrets: Sylvie, Howard, Andrew

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Andrew A, 12 Nov 2020
  • [done] Name, date

30 October 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. New WCAG 3 Intro page - discuss draft content in-progress (updated Thursday) (15-60 minutes)
    • Is this the right amount of information? More or less?
    • Is this the right tone, format, etc?
    • Is it clear? Does it answer your questions? Do you have questions that aren't answered that we might want to address on this page, in a blog post, or in an FAQ?
  2. Making Audio and Video Media Accessible - consider the following additions (based on TPAC videos) (30+ minutes)
    1. Goal: Highlight particularly significant things that many novice video content creators might miss on quick skim.
    2. Goal: Make more explicitly clear that text in video needs to be available in alternative format.
      • Change is new paragraph starting with "Generally, all text in the video should be included..." under "Tips for Writing Descriptions" the Description page in Preview 126, (Diff 126).
      • Provide comment on change in GitHub Pull request #126
      • Question: Is not covering text a common enough issue that it should be more explicitly included in the Audio Content and Video Content page? Changes in 127 have just a pointer "Guidance on what to include is in the “Creating Audio Description of Visual Information” page, Tips for Writing Description section." that doesn't say anything specific about including text in description.
    3. Consider reviewer suggestions:
      1. Add "screenplay" with "descriptive transcript" in Planning page and elsewhere. (as shown in diff)
      2. Add guidance on creating separate audio track for speech, background, etc. - for potential future implementation. issue 120
    4. Expand guidance on live captions?
    5. Expand guidance on doing your own captions?
    6. Notice of fixes and minor changes (per minor change process) - see changelog
  3. WAI Curricula (~15 minutes)
    • Update on status (additional module in development)
    • Understand background on proposed new titles
  4. WAI site design input (if time)
  5. Work for this Week & Weekly Survey (5 minutes)

Summary

EOWG considered, commented, and discussed the items above.

Minutes of 30 October meeting

Participation

  • Present: Brent, Crystal, Daniel, Hidde, Kevin, Laura, Shadi, Sharron, Shawn, Vicki
  • Regrets: Andrew, Greta, Howard, Mark, Sylvie

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Andrew, 12 Nov 2020
  • [done] Name, date

23 October 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. WCAG Support Materials Redesign
    • Discuss draft of About Techniques
    • Discuss draft ofnew WCAG 2 Documents page
  2. EOWG liaisons in other groups
    • COGA TF
    • WCAG 3.0 / Silver TF
  3. Reminders
  4. Optional survey posted today - short, easy
  5. Wrap Up and sharing

Summary

Shawn convened the meeting in Brent's absence. Hidde led a discussion of the progress in his work on the WCAG Support Materials Redesign. He pointed participants who needed it to the Requirements Analysis for the redesign. He shared his screen to walk us through the current drafts of About Techniques page, All Techniques page, and draft new WCAG 2 Documents page examples. Discussion included appreciation for the improvements to the usability and appeal of the pages as well as suggestions that an editorial pass is needed and some ideas for increased clarity, including improvement for screen reader performance. More background to the project is found here: previous WCAG 2 Documents and please note: "It helps you know where to go for which type of information." and "Different documents for different purposes" Details of the discussion are found in the full minutes, linked below. Next was a request from the Chairs for someone to serve as liaison to other groups that could benefit from closer collaboration with EO. KrisAnne agreed to see if her boss will agree to her taking on that role on the COGA TF. As well, Chairs are seeking someone to liaise with WCAG 3.0 / Silver TF. Write to the Chairs if interested - thanks! Shawn reminded the group that the week of 26 October is https://www.w3.org/2020/10/TPAC/breakout-schedule.html TPAC Breakout Week] and that registration is free but required. Also, the Daylight Savings Time change means EOWG meeting on 30 October and/or 6 November will be one hour different in Europe and some other places. Links to meeting time in different timezone is in Upcoming Teleconferences above. Final reminder was for a quick optional survey: Quick reactions to illustration style The meeting closed with news and updates from participants.

Minutes 23 October

Participation

  • Present: Shawn, Kevin, Hidde, Sharron, Daniel, Laura, Crystal, Estella, JasonMcKee, Vicki, Sylvie, KrisAnne
  • Regrets: Howard, Brent, Mark, Shadi, Andrew, Amanda, Greta

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Andrew, 12 Nov 2020
  • [done] Name, date

09 October 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. WCAG-EM Report Tool - (~30 minutes)
    • Discuss early draft of new user interface (using styles from recent ATAG Report Tool)
      • Note: this is still a rough mock-up with several bugs
      • Compare to currently published WCAG-EM Report Tool:
        • No menu bar anymore (necessary functionality moved to side bar instead)
        • New approach for translations (reusing same approach from WAI website)
        • Other overall thoughts and suggestions?
  2. WCAG Support Materials Redesign - background: Requirements Analysis - (~60 minutes)
    • Discuss proposal to provide important metadata near the top of the page (not just the sidebar, which goes to the bottom of the page on mobile and for users with big text/zoom)
    • Discuss idea to help meet requirements objective “make it easier to discover guidance”
      • Create a “landing page” that lists all of the types of guidance
      • Include a 1 sentence description/definition of each type of guidance listed
      • Provide a few examples of each guidance type
      • Draft landing page (to potentially replace the WCAG 2 Documents page)
    • Discuss the draft 1 sentence description of each type of guidance (created by EOWG, to propose to AGWG)
  3. TPAC starts next week. Please register for EOWG joint meeting and others of interest. - (~10 minutes)
  4. Work for this Week & Weekly Survey - (5 minutes)
    • Reminder: Big curricula survey due Tuesday 13 October
    • Reminder: Joint meeting on ARIA Authoring Practices Guide (APG) on Thursday 15 October @ 11:00 ET

Summary

@@@

Full Minutes for 09 October

Participation

  • Present: @@
  • Regrets: @@

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Name, date

02 October 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

2 October 2020

  1. Curricula (~25 minutes)
  2. Reminder: Meeting Thursday 15 October @ 11:00ET with ARIA WG folks to discuss ARIA APG Redesign
  3. Work for this Week (5 minutes)

Summary

@@@

Full Minutes for 02 October

Participation

  • Present: @@
  • Regrets: @@

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Name, date

25 September 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

25 September 2020

  1. Icon set, updated view with all together — discuss survey results (especially speech icon comment) and come to resolution. (5-75 minutes)
  2. ARIA APG Redesign Project — overview of project and invitation to participate. Meeting Thursday 15 October 11:00amET. (~15 minutes)
  3. Work for this Week (5 minutes)
  4. EOWG Current Work — brief orientation on current projects with upcoming tasks for EOWG (surveys, draft discussions, etc.) (remaining time)

Summary

@@@

Full Minutes for 25 September

Participation

  • Present: Laura, Brent, Sharron, Kevin, Mark, KrisAnne, Estella, Jason, Hidde, Kenzo, Shadi, Shawn, Daniel
  • Regrets: Andrew, Greta, Vicki

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Name, date

11 September 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Introduce new EO participants Crystal and Jason
  2. Discuss draft requirements document for updating How People Use the Web
  3. Review and comment on Revised icon set
  4. Wrap

Summary

Kevin White submitted a draft Requirements Analysis and Project Plan for an update to the suite of documents on How People with Disabilities Use the Web (linked in the agenda above). Kevin explained his approach in trying to create a logical segmentation of the material to present less of a wall of text to readers. Consideration was also given to creating a more intuitive relationship to the WAI site redesign implemented after the document was created, and to the potential for video illustrations of some of the personas. EO noted its appreciation of the value of this resource in raising awareness and promoting understanding and expressed gratitude to Kevin for this thoughtful approach. A survey is coming to allow EO participants who missed this meeting to weigh in. Next the group considered the proposed changes to the icon set that Kenzo presented to us (linked above) Most preferred version 'a' of the ear icon and suggested a few more tweaks. While changes to the speech icon were considered (e.g., example of a mouth). After discussion, EO agreed to accept the changes as final for all of the icons other than the ear and thanked Kenzo for this good work. Next, Shawn alerted the group to the fact that AGWG is trying for First Public Working Draft of WCAG 3.0, formerly known as Silver. If you have colleagues in AG, they can complete the related AGWG Survey. Individuals can comment in GitHub and EOWG will expect to provide group review and comment once the draft is published. The meeting ended with a reminder to stay in touch with Work for this Week and Daniel's reminder to expect a survey on the Curricula work in the next week or two. Thanks all!

Full meeting minutes of 11 September

Participation

  • Present: Sharron, Brent, Kevin, Krisanne, Vicki, Crystal, Shawn, Hidde, Kenzo, Mark, Daniel, Jason, Shadi
  • Regrets: Laura, Andrew, Amanda, Greta, Estella

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Andrew, 15 September 2020
  • [done] Name, date

28 August 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Finalize EOWG feedback on COGA Content Usable (draft in e-mail)
  2. Review and feedback of disability icons
  3. Work for this Week

Summary

@@

Meeting Minutes 28 August

Participation

  • Present: @@
  • Regrets: @@

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Name, date

21 August 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. COGA "Content Usable" (COGA survey results) discuss EOWG group suggestions on the document  (~60-90 minutes)
    • Purpose (not something that EOWG decides, but can offer COGA Task Force recommendations on how to organize for various purposes / audiences)
      • What is the objective: to inform about cognitive disabilities? to use as guidance to remedy issues?
      • Who is the target audience: accessibility advocate? developer? content writer? designer?
    • Length of document and density of information
      • Does it suit the target audience?
      • Are there suggestions on how to shorten this so that information is easier to find?
    • Structure and finding information
      • Would a developer quickly find information that needs to be addressed?
      • Could a designer easily identify the problem, the solution and the SC in one instance?
    • Usability Section
      • Should this be here or in a separate document?
    • User Stories & Personas Chapters
      • Should the User Stories and Personas be separate (as now) or in one document rather than 2 big chapters?
      • Should this information be in an Appendix?
    • Other recommendations?
  2. Work for this Week   (~5 minutes)
    • Video Survey deadline Monday 24 August

Summary

EOWG discussed the topics that Vicki has gathered from the survey answers and listed in the Agenda (above). Discussion was detailed and appreciative. It led to ideas for reformatting and suggestions for how to work with COGA to ensure this excellent information and hard work is found and used by the widest possible audience. EO will continue to work together to present COGA TF with a coherent set of actionable recommendations.

Meeting Minutes 21 August

Participation

  • Present: Brent, Mark, Daniel, Shawn, Howard, Laura, Vicki, Kevin, Sharron, KrisAnne
  • Regrets: Estella, Hidde, Shadi

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Andrew, 27 August 2020
  • [done] Name, date

14 August 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. COGA "Content Usable" information integration with existing WAI resources (COGA survey results)   (~60-90 minutes)
    1. Target audience: designers and developers?
      • Reminder of potential integration in new WCAG supporting materials redesign: COGA design pattern
      • Does info for other audiences fit in this document, or elsewhere?
    2. Discuss possibility of developing a COGA "landing page" or Overview page with pointers to WAI resources and COGA-specific info? Related pages:
    3. D. Appendix: Business Considerations, The Aging Population as a Market — Existing Resources:
    4. 2.3. Building the User into the Development Process — Existing Resources:
    5. Overlap with usability, benefits beyond disabilities (in several places in the doc) — Existing Resources:
    6. Usability Testing, Focus Groups and Feedback — Existing Resources:
    7. Other discussion before completing the survey?
  2. Work for this Week   (5 minutes)
    • COGA survey closes Monday.
    • Need more time for WCAG Video survey? when?
  3. Curricula update   (5-10 minutes)
  4. WCAG Supporting Materials Design update   (5-10 minutes)
  5. (optional)   What's New in WCAG 2.2 Working Draft — discuss ideas for edits to draft persona quotes

Summary

Discussion of items linked in the agenda

Minutes of 14 August

Participation

  • Present: @@
  • Regrets: @@

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Andrew, 27 August 2020
  • [done] Name, date

07 August 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Personal Pronouns in WAI style Guide
  2. Design review of new WCAG Supporting materials presentation
  3. COGA review discussion
  4. Review work in progress, wrap up

Summary

The meeting began with a revisit of the question of how to reference personal pronouns in WAI Style Guide. Looking at the current proposal and draft of updates to the Personas and use cases section and the approval to that section in the surrent survey, Shawn presented proposed wording for broader usage (beyond named personas and use cases.) This proposal uses the same approach and similar wording applied to references beyond personas and use cases. The group approved the approach. Next Hidde reviewed his latest iteration of the WCAG Supporting Materials Design. The group reviewed the Requirements Analysis and looked at the proposed Techniques to compare to the current Technique design. Discussion of recent changes mostly favored the changes and additional suggestions were made. (see full minutes for detail). Discussion of the COGA review led to consideration of whether/how to integrate much of it into existing documents to address the extreme length of this document. For example, some of the material could some fit in draft in WCAG guidance UI project There are overlaps with other WAI resources and some points seem to apply more broadly than only cognitive issues (e.g., usability testing and business case). However, others in the group were OK to have all in one place and thought it was an excellent orientation to issues and approach. The meeting wrapped up with thanks and a reminder to stay up with Work for this Week.

Minutes of 07 August

Participation

  • Present: Shadi, Hidde, Shawn, Laura, Brent, Howard, Vicki, Daniel, Estella, Sharron, Sylvie
  • Regrets: KrisAnne, Kevin, Mark

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Andrew, 25 August 2020
  • [done] Name, date

31 July 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. W3C "Code of Conduct" updated - Positive Work Environment at W3C: Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct
  2. Persona diversity and pronouns
  3. COGA "Content Usable" doc review - introduce COGA survey
  4. Videos for WCAG - introduce Video survey
  5. EOWG agree on dates for surveys closing
    • Straw proposal COGA survey: Tue 11 August
    • Straw proposal Video survey: Tue 18 August
  6. Education and outreach these days - e.g., virtual conferences
  7. Work for this Week

Summary

Shawn announced updates to the Code of Ethics and the commitment to a positive work environment at W3C and pointed the group to the revised version now posted: Positive Work Environment at W3C: Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct. Next item was to hear background of the consideration to review gender presentation within the WAI Style Guide as it is used when creating user personas. The group reviewed the Style Guide proposed wording and modified it during the discussion. Following discussion on the W3C Chairs list (member link), we are bringing it to this group for consideration since EO maintains the WAI style Guide. A suggestion is to neutralize the names and refer to personas by their job function or use "they" as the pronoun. In consideration of broadest diversity, the group chose not to impose one neutral pronoun - they - but rather to model a world where preferences are respected, including those who choose traditional gender labels for themselves. The style guide will reflect this. Next, chairs introduced two new surveys: COGA "Content Usable" doc review COGA survey and WCAG Video survey. Both are long but the instructions are meant to help facilitate quick movement through the reviews. EOWG agreed to close surveys on Tue 11 August for COGA and Tue 18 for WCAG Video. A brief discussion of the impact of virtual conferences and more online meetings to our work. Several noted that with people being at home and work loads often reduced, there is more opportunity despite the tendency of "online burnout." We wrapped with a reminder to stay up with Work for this Week and wishes for a restful weekend for all.

31 July Meeting Minutes

Participants

  • Present: Shawn, Laura, Brent, Shadi, Estella, Helen, KrisAnne, Sharron, Howard, Sylvie
  • Regrets: Vicki, Mark, Kevin

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Andrew, 7 August 2020
  • [done] Name, date

17 July 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. UI Design for WCAG Docs Review of design decisions, EO consideration and comment
  2. Videos for WCAG Discussion of intent and value
  3. Wrap-up Work for this week, outreach and housekeeping

Summary

The WCAG support documents often cause confusion about their status (normative/non-normative) and use. WAI staff has begun the process of redesign to address that confusion. The meeting began with a walk through of the UI design decisions that Hidde has implemented and a discussion of features and group preferences. The group looked at the draft prototype and discussed iconography, previous and next controls, and the pros and cons of introducing tab navigation to the sections. First impressions were quite positive and Hidde will take comments in consideration as he moves the development forward. Next the group considered direction of the video production based on EOWGs previously agreed decision to produce 4 sets of videos. Video-Based Resources. One set was defined as very short videos to illustrate each WCAG success criteria (SC), as described in the Deliverable 2 section. Discussion led to a group preference for using the video resources to illustrate the Principle of Accessibility and then consider making fewer videos for SCs, focusing primarily on those that lend themselves well to such treatment and are least likely to cause people to conclude that they have full understanding from watching a 30 second video. The meeting wrapped up with a reminder to visit Work for this Week and to review the WCAG-EM Report Tool and how updates and issues have been prioritized. A reminder that WAI staff is doing a workshop: W3C WAI Interactive Update: Guidelines, Emerging Technologies, and New Resources. Please help promote that. As well other announcements include: WAI Update e-mail, WAI Update tweet.

Minutes 17 July 2020

Participants

  • Present: Shawn, Kevin, Hidde, Mitchell, Laura, Brent, Shadi, Estella, Helen, Vicki, KrisAnne, Sharron, Howard
  • Regrets: Sylvie, Daniel

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Andrew, 22 July
  • [done] Sylvie, 30 July 2020
  • [done] Name, date

26 June 2020 Teleconference

Agenda 26 June 2020

  1. Accessibility Roles & Responsibilities Mapping (ARRM)   (<50 minutes)
  2. ART Report Tool - approved to publish survey results when !! issues addressed - announcements planned for Monday.   (5 minutes)
  3. WCAG-EM Report Tool update project getting started - initial discussion of some issues:   (<50 minutes)
  4. Work for this Week   (5 minutes)
    • Subscribe to public-wai-announce@w3.org if you're not already.
    • Comment on WAI Style Guide and website design issues
    • Comment on WCAG-EM Report Tool issue prioritization

Summary

TBA

2020 June 26 Minutes

Participants

  • Present:
  • Regrets:

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] Mitchell Evan, 16 July 2020
  • [done] Sylvie, 30 July 2020

19 June 2020 Teleconference

Agenda 19 June 2020

  1. ATAG Report Tool - Review changes since Monkey/Thorough Review, before Butterfly/Approval to Publish. list of changes, open issues (mostly wishlist), closed issues
  2. Work for this Week & Weekly Survey   (5 minutes)
    • Reminder: Curricula survey closes Monday 22 June
  3. (optional)   WAI Style Guide question: Date Format

Summary

Hidde brought to the group the recent changes for final consideration. The expectation is that after this review and actions to address any discussion points, the ATAG Report Tool (ART) will be ready for final signoff for publication. Discussion included:

  • Overview page (content and wording)
  • Report page (headings and organization)
  • Evaluation box (content and functionality)
  • HTML download (headings and organization)
  • About page (data fields and organization)
Hidde thanked the group for all their input, asked them to be alert to the survey for final approval, and to add any concerns not covered today to the GitHub as soon as possible. Shawn reviewed the upcoming work and reminded everyone that there is an open survey on the ongoing the curriculum work. Those who were interested were invited to stay for a discussion of the need for a consistent format for date presentation in WAI resources. Discussion led to the decision to update the style guide to reflect that dates would be presented in local formats by default, accompanied by explanatory text.

2020 June 19 Minutes

Participants

  • Present: Kevin, Hidde, Sharron, Mitchell, Helen, KrisAnne, Howard, Shawn, Laura, Daniel, Vicki, Mark, Shadi,
  • Regrets: Brent

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020
  • [done] Sylvie, 30 July 2020

12 June 2020 Teleconference

Agenda 12 June 2020

  1. EOWG Charter 2020 - update, group name change - (5+ minutes)
  2. ATAG Report Tool (ART) - (<100 minutes)
  3. Work for this Week - (5 minutes)
    • Curricula survey open Monday 15-22 June - schedule time for review of modules 1-3

Summary

We discussed the EOWG Charter, and Working Group versus Interest Group. Participants shared several reasons why it is important to them and their organization that it be a Working Group and not an Interest Group. Shawn expects this 2020 Charter to go through as a Working Group. There may be changes to Group definitions in the future. The group name changed to "Accessibility Education and Outreach Working Group (EOWG)" — so keep that in mind if you look for it in alphabetical group lists, like to to register for TPAC or complete a survey.

We made the following decisions for the ATAG Report Tool:

  • Evaluation box as prototyped in this comment https://github.com/w3c/wai-atag-report-tool/issues/60#issuecomment-643185327
    • Use the simple design of links (OK that minimal affordance since it’s redundant with the main navigation links)
    • Two columns
    • Overall status bar
  • Evaluation box related:
    • Show same box content on all pages
    • Don’t need “On this page, you can add information about your report, or start evaluating straight away in Principle 1 .” at all
    • Provide Show/Hide for the box that would let the main content go full width
  • Result Options:
    • Default Result Options to “Not Checked” and eliminate the no results/“--” option
  • Report Summary:
    • Make the category names stronger (bold or bigger) so that they're easier to spot
    • Rename “Missing Results” to “Not Checked” and add number, e.g., “Not Checked (3)”

Next week we'll have a survey for the Curricula. Please schedule time for it.

2020 June 12 Minutes

Participants

  • Present: Brentb, Daniel, shadi, Estella, shawn, Helen, Mark, Laura, kevin, Vicki, Howard, Kris Anne
  • Regrets: Sharron, Sylvie, Andrew, Greta, Jennifer

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done]Sharron 25 June 2020
  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020
  • [done] Sylvie, 30 July 2020

05 June 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. WAI Curricula update
  2. ATAG Report Tool (ART)
    • Discuss Your Report box
    • Discuss ideas for Report page wording
    • Discuss any comments on substantive changes to other elements
  3. WrapUp - Work for this week, announcements, etc

Summary

Daniel began the meeting with an update of the progress on the WAI curricula module development. He reminded the group that Developing Accessible Content, Module 1: Page Structure is in Starfish review. The survey is meant specifically for Task Force participants but all of EO is welcome to comment if engaged and interested. WAI curricula survey.

Next up, Hidde asked for further detail on comments and suggestions submitted for the ATAG Report Tool (ART):

  • Extensive discussion was held on the "evaluation box." Background in GitHub 60 informed the decision to move the box from the left to the right and to analyze how it might be most useful. Borders and background contrast changes were considered and determined unnecessary. More detail about the number of unchecked items displayed was also considered. Hidde will process comments for next review.
  • Wording for the Report page entered as GitHub 129 was reviewed.
  • The group was asked to review and comment on substantive changes made to the following:
    • Executive Summary and other fields editable in Report page. background in 65
    • Revised first page to meet different users, described in 126
    • Color coding 93
    • Multi-level SC support 95
    • Updated link style for Implementing and Principle links 69

Hidde will take the discussion comments and process the open issues for Version 1. When complete, the Monkey review of the ART will go to survey, likely within the next two weeks. Please continue to review and comment.

The meeting wrapped up with a reminder to stay in tune with Work for this Week and post any new outreach that you have done/are doing. Have a good weekend everyone, take care!

Complete minutes of 05 June

Participants

Present: Brent, Daniel, Hidde, Shawn, Laura, Helen, Kevin, Sharron, Estella, Howard, Shadi, Mark, Kris Anne

Regrets: Vicki, Jenn, Greta

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020
  • [done] Sylvie, 30 July 2020

15 May 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. WAI Curricula project update - (10 minutes)
  2. ATAG Report Tool - (30-90 minutes)
    • Summarise discussion in GitHub issues and survey
    • #107: autosave / localStorage.
    • #63: extra fields in Start page.
      • Current status: we seem to want extra fields, no consensus (just yet) on which ones. Note: we added one more since last meeting: “conformance target”.
      • Open issues:
        • (1) Which fields?
        • (2) Where in process? All on Start page or some on page at end?
    • #89: advertising Markdown support.
      • Current status: seems acceptable to have “Markdown supported” with each field (4-6 times per page), but ideally in a more useful way, i.e. pointing to a cheatsheet.
      • Open issues: is Hidde's suggestion ok? Do people have other ideas?
  3. Outreach - (10+ minutes)
    • Eval videos, other videos, and course for GAAD - share e-mail & tweets
    • Promoting W3Cx Intro Course extended through Sept (last extension) - share the news (tweet) and list your outreach in the "Record of outreach and mentions" sections
  4. Charter for AC review - (10 minutes)
    • ask your AC Rep to complete survey - AC e-mail, survey (note: including supportive comments in the survey is helpful for other AC Reps to see)
    • Support Statements in Additional Information are still welcome (please also put supportive comments in the survey, or, in the survey, put a link to your statement on the wiki page)
  5. W3C TPAC update - F2F cancelled, W3C planning virtual TPAC - (5+ minutes)
  6. Work for this Week - (5 minutes)

Summary

Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2020/05/15-eo-minutes

Participants

(listed in minutes)

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020
  • [done] Sylvie, 30 July 2020

(no meeting 8 May 2020)

1 May 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. ATAG Report Tool (ART) (10+ minutes)
  2. WAI Curricula (~15 minutes)
  3. WCAG Supporting Documents Redesign (~10 minutes)
  4. Re-Charter update (20+ minutes)
  5. Work for this Week (5 minutes)
    • ATAG Report Tool - Please add your input on the open issues for EOWG input
    • Re-Charter survey for AC Rep & support statments

Summary

Updates on work in progress. Request for AC Reps to complete charter review survey.

Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2020/05/01-eo-minutes

Participants

(listed in minutes)

People who missed the meeting and have read summary above and/or skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2018
  • [done] Sylvie, 30 July 2020

24 April 2020 EOWG Teleconference

Agenda

  1. ATAG Report Tool (ART) - Latest version of tool
    • Discuss open issues with EOWG agenda+ tag -
      • In the “Your Evaluation” page, auditors can fill in meta information like name of the tool, name of their company, etc. What would be a better name for this page? (see issue #59 for context)
      • If “Your Evaluation” fields are left blank, should they show up on the Report page? Should they show up in the HTML/JSON exports? (currently they are hidden from the report page, and included as empty values in the exports; see issue issue #71 for context)
      • What are everyone's thoughts on the “evaluation box”. Does it have the right visual hierarchy? Does it address the supposed user need? issue #60
  2. (if time) WCAG Supporting Documents Redesign - brief update on User Personas and Scenarios -
  3. (if time) WAI Curricula - update EOWG on Task Force work
  4. Work for this Week -

Summary

The group brainstormed page names, section titles and other details of the ATAG Report Tool, including the placement of the evaluation box, now found at the top. Brief updates were provided for the redesign of the WCAG supporting documents. The group was directed to updated info in GitHub. KrisAnne thanked Shadi for extending the availability of the Intro to accessibility video course. She relayed that colleagues were finding it very valuable and were especially impacted by the user stories, demos, and examples.

Minutes 24 April

Participants

  • Present: Shawn, Lewis, Shadi, Brent, Sharron, Laura, KrisAnne, Estella, Daniel, Hidde, Helen, Mark, Howard, Sylvie
  • Regrets: Kevin

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020

(no meeting 17 April 2020)

10 April 2020 EOWG Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Charter 2020 - (10+ minutes)
    • Anything before it goes to AC review?
  2. Curricula Task Force - (10 minutes)
  3. WCAG Support Material Design project - (60+ minutes)
  4. W3Cx course “Introduction to Web Accessibility” - (10 minutes)
  5. Work for this Week - (5 minutes)

Summary

@@

[@link@ Minutes of 10 April]

Participants

  • Present: @@
  • Regrets: @@

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020

03 April 2020 EOWG Teleconference

Agenda

  1. ATAG Report Tool (ART) Monkey Review survey (5+ minutes)
  2. WCAG Supporting Documents Redesign
    • Introduce new project
    • Initial questions, suggestions, input...
    • For reference: in-progress Requirements Analysis
  3. Work for this Week

Summary

Chairs announced the opening of the "Monkey Review" survey of the revisions to the ATAG report tool. After addressing some technical glitches all agreed to do the review by April 13. An extensive discussion was held to consider the Requirements for EO work on the Supporting Documents. The purpose is to redesign the interface to make content more easily findable, navigable, and usable. While content revision seems to be out of scope for the EO part of the project, editors will consider how to work with AG to more readily identify and possibly archive or remove outdated or irrelevant content. Requirements and User Scenarios will be updated based on these observations. The meeting wrapped with a reminder to stay current with the Work for This Week and watch for surveys. Thanks to all participants!

Minutes of 03 April

Participants

  • Present: Brent, Daniel, Estella, Helen, Hidde, Howard, KrisAnne, Laura, Mark, Shadi, Sharron, Sylvie, Kevin, Shawn
  • Regrets: Vicki, Jen, Eric, Lewis

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020

27 March, 2020 EOWG Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Curricula Task Force Statement - (20+ minutes)
    • Discuss as needed. Approve if done.
  2. ATAG Report Tool (ART) - (15+ minutes)
    • Update on status (what's read for review now, and what will be next week, e.g., Import button)
    • UI ready for review (no need to wait for survey), Monkey Review coming
    • fyi: ART open issues for iteration 0.3
  3. Eval Videos (video download) - (10+ minutes)
  4. EOWG Charter 2020 Draft - (15+ minutes)
  5. EOWG F2F Meetings - (15+ minutes)
    • EOWG F2F in June in Spain cancelled.
    • Conference in Spain in January 2021 - Maybe EOWG meet then? We'll ask in F2F survey to see who could come.
    • Estella invitation for EOWG panel or workshop.
  6. Work for this Week - (5 minutes)
  7. (optional) How's it going in accessibility and life?

Summary

@@

[@link@ Minutes of 27 March]

Participants

  • Present: @@
  • Regrets: @@

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020


20 March, 2020 EOWG Teleconference

Agenda

  • EOWG water cooler — We propose changing our meeting tool from WebEx to Zoom for future meetings. This week instead of a formal meeting, we'll have the new Zoom meeting open for at least 30 minutes, and you can test your Zoom settings (video encouraged), say Hi, and chat about accessibility and life.
  • New Zoom meeting info is in Teleconference connection info (requires W3C login permission)

Summary

No summary or minutes.

Participants

  • Present: @@
  • Regrets: Brent,

13 March, 2020 EOWG Teleconference

Agenda

  1. EOWG 2020 Charter Deliverables (<30 minutes)
    • Ideas for other potential deliverables ?
  2. WAI Curricula - Developing Accessible Content, survey results - (<60 minutes)
    • Proposal on assistive technology functions:
      Strategies of users of assistive technologies will be included as learning outcomes. General strategies for browsing content will be included in module 1 topic 1 (Different ways of browsing the web), and specific strategies will be included in following modules for each of the components.
    • Proposal on JavaScript knowledge requirements:
      JavaScript knowledge will not be required for the whole curriculum. Specific JavaScript knowledge will be required for the modules where functionality that needs JavaScript is discussed. Currently, we plan to include these requirements in module 2 (Navigating web interfaces), and module 5 (Forms).
    • General comments? Approach? Group review and input?
    • Task Force - existing EOWG participants, additional potential participants?
  3. ATAG Report Tool (ART) [Prototype, Issue list, Preliminary Version 0.3 feature list] - (5 minutes)
    • Status update
  4. WCAG-EM Report Tool (issues in GitHub) - (10 minutes)
    • Planning for next iteration, inviting suggestions, share messages next week
  5. Work for this Week - (5 minutes)

Summary

@@

[@link@ Minutes of 28 February]

Participants

  • Present: @@
  • Regrets: @@

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020

28 February Teleconference

Agenda

28 February 2020 Teleconference

  1. Evaluation Videos on Website
  2. Video Introduction to WAI Resources and WAI Website
  3. Policies wording
  4. Work for this Week & Weekly Survey
    1. ATAG Report Tool Survey - Complete by Monday, 02 March
    2. Curriculum survey in preparation for F2F

Summary

The meeting began with a proposal from staff for how to deploy the Evaluation Videos on the WAI site for presentation at the upcoming CSUN conference. There was some confusion and a few questions. After consideration, EOWG accepted staff recommendations and agreed to see how the deployment is received with the understanding that we have options for agile iteration once we get community feedback. Shawn introduced an idea for the creation of a Video Introduction to WAI Resources and WAI Website. KrisAnne, Helen and Estel-la volunteered to help develop the concept. The group discussed the need for a disclaimer on the Policies page and wording was suggested for that. The meeting wrapped up with a reminder to update availability survey, stay in touch with work for this week. Daniel will post a survey on Monday to gather thoughts on the next curriculum modules. The comments will inform discussion at the upcoming face to face meeting.

Minutes of 28 February

Participants

  • Present: Shawn, Sharron, Lewis, Estella, Helen, Daniel, Laura, Eric, Brent, Shadi, Hidde, KrisAnne, Howard
  • Regrets: Vicki, Kevin, Mark, Sylvie

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020

21 February 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

21 February 2020 Teleconference

  1. ATAG Report Tool (ART)
  2. Draft CSUN Agenda Topics under Planning
    • Overview and discussion
  3. Evaluation videos on WAI website
  4. Work for this Week & Weekly Survey
    • ARRM Survey due Thursday 27 February
    • ART Survey due Monday 2 March
    • Evaluation videos on WAI website (reviews coming later)

Summary

Minutes 21 February

Participants

  • Present: Brent, Helen, Lewis, Shawn, Estella, Kevin, Mark, Daniel, Hidde, EricE, Sharron, KrisAnne, Howard
  • Regrets: Vicki, Sylvie, Denis

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2020

14 February 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Evaluation Videos - discuss survey results
    • Video 5 at 0:26 - switching from "checklist" to "users" animation
    • Video 5 at 0:30 to 0:35 - change from "bad" to "improved process"
    • Sound effects with the icons of "Essential for some, useful for all"
    • Icon placement in "Essential for some, useful for all" segments differ
    • Video 1 at 1:47 - change color of boxes from turquoise to orange or red?
  2. 09-10 March Face-2-Face Agenda - suggestions and discussion of priorities
  3. ARRM review and discussion
    1. Role-Based Decision Tree - A framework to define accessibility ownership in a cross-functional product team...
    2. Role definition document - A list of all of the different roles that can exist within a cross-functional product team...
  4. Outreach for EOWG participants to do: Promoting W3Cx Intro Course
    • Promotion page has tweets to RT and example wording. Please add to the wiki any outreach that you do, or public comments that you see.
  5. Wrap-Up

Summary

Shadi brought to the meeting the results of the Evaluation video survey and thanked all who provided input. He walked the group through and confirmed changes that were made and bugs that are in process of being resolved. Brent next asked the group to b sure to complete the attendance survey for the F2F meeting in March at CSUN. Knowing who to expect at the meeting will allow Brent to meet reporting requirements to his company (the venue sponsor.) We will also be better able to plan the agenda. Next was a discussion of the status of the ARRM work. Since the timeline is at risk to have the documents reviewed and approved in time for Denis and co's CSUN presentation, a suggestion was made to leave the draft in the wiki. Several factors were considered and finally EO decided to explore the option to use a redirect for the URL if it is left in the wiki to avoid future confusion. Shawn will explore options and let the group know what those are. The meeting wrapped up with a reminder to keep up with current resources in development and to look for the ARRM survey early next week.

Minutes 14 February

Participants

  • Present: Helen, Kevin, Lewis, Brent, Daniel, Denis, Eric, Estella, Hidde, Laura, Shawn, Mark, Shadi, Sharron, Sylvie, Denis, Howard
  • Regrets: Vicki, Estella, Mark

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2018

07 February 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. ATAG Report Tool update, review of survey results
  2. Accessibility Roles & Responsibilities Mapping (ARRM)
  3. WAI Curricula: Developing Accessible Content (Intermediate) - Survey results (30-45 minutes)
    • Overview of curricula structure
    • Module 1 - general structure to overview of module - discussion
  4. Outreach for EOWG participants to do: Promoting W3Cx Intro Course (5 minutes)
    • Promotion page has tweets to RT and example wording. Please add to the wiki any outreach that you do, or public comments that you see.
  5. Evaluation Videos (remaining time)
  6. Work for this Week & Weekly Survey (5 minutes)

Summary

Minutes 07 February

Participants

  • Present: Kevin, Hidde, Bill, Lewis, Helen, EricE, Daniel, Laura, Brent, Shadi, Denis, Howard
  • Regrets: Shawn, Vicki, Sylvie, Estella, Mark

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2018

31 January 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Evaluation Videos
  2. 9-10 March EOWG Face-to-face meeting
  3. Work for this Week

Summary

Brent began by requesting everyone to add to the wiki about the upcoming EOWG Face to Face meeting at CSUN Information is important to have for accountability and planning purposes. The remainder of the meeting was dedicated to a review and discussion of the visual graphic elements developed for Eval Video #5. Asked to complete a survey to approve graphics, several said they could not envision it. Shadi led a discussion to explain what would happen while the voice over was narrating. Conclusions were as follows:

  • Improve the visual indication - not only change the color of the circle but also change shapes or clarity of lines.
  • Show the upward swooping arrow to indicate business growth (within the circle of process)
  • Fade the arrow as people icons appear and the numbers grow - avoid zooming.
  • (Suggestion to also fade the process circle as people icons are introduced?)
  • Animations will be gradual and simple - not fast, complex movement
  • Growth of number of people will appear from the center screen rather than popping up randomly
  • will use a bar or column rather than a gauge to indicate WCAG conformance.

Shadi will take this back to the animators and complete this series of videos for presentation at CSUN. The meeting concluded with a reminder to complete surveys and continue to keep up with work for this week. Thanks all!

Minutes 31 January

Participants

  • Present: Sharron, Kevin, Helen, Lewis, Shawn, EricE, Laura, Howard, Daniel, Brent, Shadi
  • Regrets: Estella, Mark, Jenn, Sylvie

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2018

24 January 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Eval Videos (~45 minutes)
    • Discuss open issues in survey results
    • Discuss questions on Video script 5
  2. Authoring Tools Report Tool (15 minutes)
  3. Accessibility Roles and Responsibilities Mapping (ARRM) (ARRM Project page) (20 minutes)
    • Overview and introduce proposal for posting material in early March.
  4. Work for this Week and upcoming work (5 minutes)

Summary

Minutes 24 January

Participants

  • Present: Brent, Daniel, Eric, Estella, Helen, Kevin, Laura, Lewis, Mark, Shadi, Shawn, Howard
  • Regrets: Sylvie, KrisAnne, Sharron, Lewis

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2018

17 January 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Evaluation Videos
    • Discuss updated description of visuals in video 5
  2. Work for this Week & Weekly Survey
    • Prepare to review the assistive technology icons and the end-plate for the Evaluation Videos (sending Monday - discussion Friday, 24th)

Summary

The group reviewed the changes proposed for Video 5 in the Evaluation video series. Based on the discussion today, a new script will be out early next week. Please be alert to review and comment on that. The assistive technology icons and end-plate should be available on Monday for review. Please take the time to review in order to facilitate discussion next Friday. Shadi will post survey. Also look for an update from the Roles and Responsibilities matrix development group. They are targeting EO review in order to present a draft at CSUN of the current iteration of that resource.

Minutes 17 January

Participants

  • Present: Shadi, Brent, Eric, Estella, Helen, Kevin, Laura, Lewis, Shawn, Howard, KrisAnne, Sharron
  • Regrets: Vicki, Daniel, Jenn, Mark

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2018

10 January 2020 Teleconference

Agenda

  1. Evaluation Videos: (Requirements Analysis & Scripts)
  2. Upcoming Work

Summary

The meeting was dedicated to a review of submitted comments on the Evaluation videos. Shadi will take the resolved issues to the production team and have updated versions for final review within the next couple of weeks.

Minutes 10 January

Participants

  • Present: Lewis, Laura, Brent, Shadi, Mark, Estella, Shawn, Helen, Sylvie, Howard, Sharron, Eric
  • Regrets: Hidde, Daniel, KrisAnne, Vicki

(people who missed the meeting) Read summary & skimmed minutes

  • [done] name, 00 Month 2018