Important note: This Wiki page is edited by participants of the EOWG. It does not necessarily represent consensus and it may have incorrect information or information that is not supported by other Working Group participants, WAI, or W3C. It may also have some very useful information.
EOWG Current Projects
- 1 2018 Current Work
- 2 2017 Charter Work
- 3 Notes
- 4 2015 Charter Milestones status
- 5 Previous Work Schedules
- 5.1 Policies Relating to Web Accessibility update
- 5.2 Accessible Media Tutorial
- 5.3 Mobile Accessibility Developers' Intro
- 5.4 ARIA Developers Intro
- 5.5 Smart Search
- 5.6 BAD Update & Support Material
- 5.7 Tips for Evaluating
- 5.8 Tips for Advocating
- 5.9 Tips for Procuring
- 5.10 Accessibility, Usability, and Inclusion: Related Aspects of a Web for All update
- 5.11 Accessible UI Components List - ["Widgets Library"]
- 5.12 Current Work Roles
- 6 Pending Issues
- 7 Additional Projects
- 8 Ideas on future work
2018 Current Work
(up-to-date 18 July 2018)
- Business Case Revision (Sharron leading)
- Understanding documents for new WCAG 2.1 success criteria (Norah, Sharron, Brent leading)
- Accessibility Statements (Shadi leading).
Planned schedule: (see Review Stages)
- 27 June — rough concept draft sent to EOWG.
29 June — discuss in EOWG telecon.
- 18 July — approaches discuss in EO-Plan telecon.
- 24 July — send draft survey questions to eo-plan.
- 25 July — finalize survey questions and plan EOWG discussion in EO-Plan telecon, add to agenda, send to EOWG.
27 July — discuss in EOWG telecon, including mock-up.
- 25 July — send survey to EOWG with complete draft, deadline 8 August.
- 15 August — discuss in EO-Plan
- 24 August — (if needed) discuss in EOWG telecon
- 00 Month — additional EOWG discussion as needed
- 00 Month — EOWG Thorough Review (ideally at least 13 days Thur-Tue)
- 00 Month — EOWG Approval to Publish (assuming only few minor changes, can be 1 week Wed-Tue)
- 27 June — rough concept draft sent to EOWG.
- Web Accessibility Roles and Responsibilities (Denis & Brent leading)
- Minor revisions to: (Shawn leading)
- Contacting Organizations about Inaccessible Websites
- Developing Organizational Policies on Web Accessibility
- Accessibility, Usability, and Inclusion
- Policies — minor updates (Robert leading)
- Updates for WCAG 2.1 (Shawn & Chairs leading)
- Accessible Online Learning additions to EOWG Resources - potential new portal page & content
- Publishing - potential new portal page & content
2017 Charter Work
- Essential Components of Web Accessibility update published with site May 2018
- How to Make Your Presentations Accessible to All update published with site May 2018
- Involving Users in Web Projects for Better, Easier Accessibility update published with site May 2018
- Involving Users in Evaluating Web Accessibility update published with site May 2018
- Developing Web Accessibility Presentations and Training update published with site May 2018
- Introduction to Web Accessibility updated 7 February 2018
- Selecting Web Accessibility Evaluation Tools updated 23 December 2017
- Stories of Web Users updated 22 December 2017
- Easy Checks - A First Review of Web Accessibility updated 22 December 2017
- Web Accessibility Laws and Policies updated 15 December 2017
(fyi, WAI Resources:)
- Overview of “Web Accessibility for Older Users: A Literature Review” significant update published with site May 2018
- Older Users and Web Accessibility: Meeting the Needs of Ageing Web Users minor update published with site May 2018
- 8 Role Pages, e.g., Resources for Developers new pages published with site May 2018
- W3C Accessibility Standards Overview new page published with site May 2018
- Teach and Advocate Overview new page published with site May 2018
- Planning and Policies Overview new page published with site May 2018
- Design and Develop Overview new page published with site May 2018
- How WAI Develops Accessibility Guidelines through the W3C Process: Milestones and Opportunities to Contribute updated 16 February 2018
- Referencing and Linking to WAI Guidelines and Technical Documents updated 15 February 2018
- Evaluating Web Accessibility Overview updated 13 February 2018
- Accessibility - W3C updated 1 December 2017
- Mobile Accessibility at W3C updated October 2017
Note: Please do not edit this section because it synchs with Timelines in 2017 Charter; Coordinate suggested revisions with Brent, Sharron, and Shawn.
||what & notes||Q3'17||Q4'17||Q1'18||Q2'18||Q3'18||Q4'18||Q1'19||Q2'19||Q3'19||Q4'19||Q1'20||Q2'20|
|1||Policies||First: Update with submitted data
Later: Address issues slated for post-launch enhancements: Policies issues in GitHub; update data for other regions, e.g., Australian states, Canadian provinces, and US states.
|complete submitted data updates|
|1||Editorial guidelines||Expand existing Style guide.||complete|
|1||Understanding WCAG 2.1||Assist AG WG in developing Understanding support material for new WCAG 2.1 success criteria — probably through a joint Task Force.||slow||most active||active||maybe slow||little||little||little||little||little||little||little||little|
|1||Priority 1 Resources to be determined||Minor updates for WAI site redesign.||complete|
|1||Intro||Update 1 and replace 2 with that conent; check if any info from 2 should be added for WAI page or moved elsewhere.||complete
|1||UI Components List||Implement Action Plan for Improved Quality & Management of List.||[charter milestone: complete March 2008]|
|2||Mobile resources||Reframe and update set of pages: landing page, overlap, experiences, and new Mobile Developers' Intro.||complete|
|2||Older user resources||Reframe and update set of pages: overview, overlap, lit review, presentation.||complete
|Outreach||Developing Presentations and Training||First: Update with links to new material.
Later: Develop more content.
|[charter milestone: complete Dec 2018]
|Outreach||Presentations||Update (or retire) existing presentation content and markup bcase, using WCAG2, benefits WCAG 2, components.||[charter milestone: complete Dec 2018]
|Outreach||Translations||Develop framework; review translations.||[charter milestone: complete Dec 2018]
|Outreach||Outreach campaigns||Develop plans, implement.||[charter milestone: complete Dec 2018]
|Easy Checks||Easy Checks||Develop interactive version.||[charter milestone: complete March 2019]
|3||Tips Getting Started||Planning into 2: Managing, Directing.||complete|
|3||Presentations||Develop new presentations for outreach.||complete|
|3||How PWDs Use Web||Significant restructure.||complete
|3||Business Case||Update - needs rethinking approach.||complete
|3||Select Authoring Tools||Update.||complete
|3||Selecting Eval Tools||Update to synch with Tools List categories.||complete|
|3||Eval resources: 1, 2, 3||Update (or retire).||complete
|3||Better Web Browsing||Update or retire.||complete
|BAD||(update, if editor availability)|
|Accessibility Conformance Statements||(develop, if editor availability)|
|Curriculum/Training/Teaching material||maybe material for trainers, maybe full course/curriculum for self-study (if editor availability)||
|Tutorials, developer guides, or other "explainers"||on other topics (if editor availability)||complete
[[Note: Please do not edit the table above or section below because it synchs with 2017 Charter; Coordinate suggested revisions with Brent, Sharron, and Shawn.]]
Additional in Charter
If projects are defined and resources are available, EOWG may also:
- Develop publishing-related information in coordination with Publishing@W3C — This will most likely be adding information to existing EOWG Resources — for example, adding publishing examples to the sub-pages of How People with Disabilities Use the Web, although it could be new resources.
- Revise existing material or develop new material around the needs of users with cognitive disabilities, and accessibility solutions.
- Support user interface development, and education and outreach around "Silver" with the AG WG.
- Develop more role-based guidance — Work in the WAI Engage Community Group related to role-based guidance may develop to the point it is mature enough for EOWG review and publishing on the main WAI website.
- Revise existing material or develop new material based on AccessLearn CG input.
EOWG work priorities are evaluated regularly by EOWG and WAI staff. Work priorities are periodically revised based on current education and outreach needs, and the progress of deliverables in other WAI Working Groups with which EOWG has dependencies. Therefore, the priority of deliverables listed above are subject to change based on changed circumstances, and timelines below may be adjusted.
[[Note: Please do not edit the section above because it synchs with 2017 Charter. Put additional ideas below.]]
- EOWG Charter 2015-May 2017
- EOWG Deliverables - introduces EOWG deliverables overall and deliverables for the 2015 Charter period
EOWG primarily works through GitHub and weekly surveys (W3C "WBS"), in addition to teleconferences. We use this wiki for some things like developing requirements and organizing project documentation. (We don't use e-mail much.)
2015 Charter Milestones status
*The first four columns in the table below are the planned milestones from the charter.
|Deliverable*||Requirements*||Prototype/Draft*||Published*||Status on 7 June 2017 (up to date still on 13 July)||Future work|
|How to Meet WCAG 2.0: A customizable quick reference - update||done||November 2015||February 2016||done. published March 2016.||Possible additional filters for mobile and related to WCAG 2.1.|
|Policies Relating to Web Accessibility - update||done||December 2015||on-going||done. published June 2017.||Continue gathering and vetting new and updated data.|
|Quick Start Guides - new
("Tips for Getting Started")
|done||done||March 2016||done. published October 2015 (months early).||Additional ones in development.|
| Widget Library - new
("UI Components List")
|January 2016||April 2016||October 2016||Was nearly done ahead of schedule, but big issue re-opened that will take a lot of work to address (Proposal for improved quality and expectation management). Currently lower priority than site redesign. Plan to get back to it in June 2017 and complete in August 2017.|
|Planning and Managing Roadmap - new||done||done||March 2016||done. published March 2016.|
|Showcase Examples - new
|done||March 2016||July 2016||done. published in May 2016 (ahead of schedule), and updated in Sept 2016.|
|Web Accessibility and Usability Working Together - update||February 2016||April 2016||June 2016||version published May 2016.||(Revisions waiting on input from COGA TF and EOWG reviewer.)|
|Easy Checks - A First Review of Web Accessibility - update||done||done||February 2016||published Dec 2016.||Easy Checks Next Generation definition/requirements.|
|Developing Organizational Policies on Web Accessibility - update||done||done||April 2016||done. published May 2016.|
|Web Accessibility Tutorials - complete drafts||done||done||September 2016||done. latest update published in April 2017.||Additional tutorials in development.|
|How People with Disabilities Use the Web - update||done||done||October 2016||done. latest update published in May 2017.||Proposed additional coverage of people with cognitive and learning disabilities, and significant re-organization.|
|Why Standards Harmonization is Essential to Web Accessibility - update||done||done||May 2017||[At risk for being canceled, unless editor availability. Possible editor availability in August 2017.]|
|Training Material||May 2016||March 2017||May 2017||[No other specific deliverables planned for this charter.]|
*The first four columns in the table above are the planned milestones from the charter.
Additional deliverables not in Milestones
- Participating in WAI - update
- WAI Translations - update
- [done & more in-progress by Susan & Sharron] Mobile Accessibility - update
- [done by MichaelC?] WAI-ARIA Overview and WAI-ARIA FAQ - update
- [done but could use Shawn review] ATAG Overview - update
- [done but could use Shawn review] UAAG Overview - update
- [done ? confirm with Shadi] WCAG 2.0 Translations - update
Optional / based on resource availability:
- [in progress] WAI website redesign, based on resource availability
- Other introductory material for technical documents - update and develop new
- Additional training curriculum materials, based on resource availability
- WCAG-EM Report Tool: Website Accessibility Evaluation Report Generator - update, based on resource availability
Additional work completed:
- [done] Web Accessibility First Aid: Approaches for Interim Repairs - significant update
Previous Work Schedules
- Policies List new draft- open issues
- 12 Jan draft page and submission form in 12 Jan e-mail, 13 Jan survey questions
- Policies List GitHub - includes open issues (these may be outdated and now irrelevant?)
- Policies List Requirements Analysis/Plan
|September||Defining format for listings, defining UI functionality|
|October|| Finalize format for listings and UI functionality|
Defining technical back-end for gathering and processing updates
|November|| Incorporate received comments. |
Revise prototype for table presentation.
Group work at Nov 14 and 15 face to face meeting to finalize format and function.
|December||Incorporate input from face to face.|
|January 2017|| Review resource layout and data proposal along with data input form. |
Incorporate group feedback and begin mock-up development.
Begin listing issues in GitHub repository.
|February||Further develop mock-up and begin addressing and closing issues.|
|March||Finalize UI of resource and data collection form. Continue initial data collection.|
|April||Collect data from known contributors.|
|May||Announce updated and invite public contributions. announcement|
|June||Update data that comes in.|
|July||Address post-launch issues.|
Accessible Media Tutorial
- Accessible Media Tutorial draft
- Media GitHub repo
- Survey results from AGWG review
- (old media GitHub issues)
- (Updated detailed outline)
- (Initial detailed outline)
- (Initial "new tutorials" requirements)
Mobile Accessibility Developers' Intro
- Mobile Intro latest draft, (mobile previous draft
- Mobile GitHub
- Proposed mobile accessibility insertions into other WAI Tutorials
- (old mobile GitHub issues)
- (Initial mobile accessibility requirements; Mobile accessibility tutorial initial outline; Mobile Accessibility mockup (expanded outline)
ARIA Developers Intro
- ARIA Dev Intro draft
- ARIA high-level input from EOWG weekly surveys
- ARIA interested reviewers
- ARIA GitHub
- (old ARIA GitHub issues)
- ARIA requirements, outline
- Resource-specific search: Prototype search box, with sample customizable scripts
- Search project page
BAD Update & Support Material
Tips for Evaluating
- Evaluating Tips draft
Tips for Advocating
- Advocating Tips draft
Tips for Procuring
- (Link to draft)
- Accessibility and Inclusion (Inclusion project page)
|December||Update based on comments. Finalize version for publication.|
|January||Gathering feedback from COGA Task Force and Staff|
|February||[waiting for feedback...]|
Accessible UI Components List - ["Widgets Library"]
|Q2 2017||On hold pending Editor availability after Tutorials and website redesign.|
|Q4 2017||Implement Action Plan for Improved Quality & Management of List|
Current Work Roles
The Review Team assignments that were here and been replaced with
EOWG Resource Management (Google Sheet)
If you need an alternative format, please inform Sharron and Brent.
- The following are likely to get voted out of priorities for this charter given other higher priorities and editor availability:
- Why Standards Harmonization is Essential to Web Accessibility update
- Training material beyond tutorials
- WAI Web Site Redesign
- status: Actively using agile process through visual design, information architecture, and technical backlog.
- Mobile Accessibility page update
- status: requirements analysis in development, plan to revise the top level page, address mobile more specifically throughout the WAI site.
- Template for Accessibility Evaluation Reports update - Updating references and links, aligning to WCAG EM Report Tool, other minor edits
- status: On hold for higher priorities
- Developing Web Accessibility Presentations and Training update - adding to current accessibility topics, refreshing training outlines, removing outdated content
- status: On hold for higher priorities
Ideas on future work
- (Ideas included in the 2017 Charter are above)
- (Previous ideas at [https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/EO_2017_Chartering#Possible_work_in_scope: 2017 charter possible work in scope)
Sent to WAI Coordination Call:
- Proactive on [accessibility aspects of] emerging issues, such as Vibration API, Push/Notifications APIs, Gamepad API, graphics accessibility
- Internationalizing the accessibility work at W3C (beyond translations), including increased attention on the "crossover" issue of sign language users, since that community includes many who see their issue as one of language rather than disability
- Standardization of gestures across OS on touchscreen devices (POS, EFTPOS, kiosks etc)