Important note: This Wiki page is edited by participants of the EOWG. It does not necessarily represent consensus and it may have incorrect information or information that is not supported by other Working Group participants, WAI, or W3C. It may also have some very useful information.
EOWG Current Projects
2018 Current Work
(updated 20 October 2018)
Business Case Revision (Sharron leading)
Status: Expect approval to publish survey to go to EOWG in October
Accessibility Statements (Shadi leading)
Status: Expect approval to publish survey to go to EOWG in October
Translations (Shawn leading)
Status: Expect final proposals by early November (on-going work could be heavy for a few months or more)
Need: (starting in Dec 2018) People to help review submitted translations. Possibly people to help format submitted translations.
Understanding documents for new WCAG 2.1 success criteria (Norah & Brent leading)
Status: Progressing per Tracking Sheet
Need!: EOWG participants to contribute to reviews and revision suggestions
Policies — minor updates, add data for regions (Robert & Mary Jo leading)
Status: Open issues; Framework for region data in progress
Need: People to help process the submissions through Policy Workflow
Need: Data on US, Canadian, Australian regions (states, provinces, territories)
Updates for WCAG 2.1 (Shawn leading)
Status: Easy ones in progress; substantive ones to be prioritized
Need: (Nov 2018) EOWG participant(s) to do link updates via GitHub pull requests
Accessible Media Guide / Make Audio and Video Accessible (Shawn leading)
Status: To be prioritized
Web Accessibility Roles and Responsibilities (Denis leading)
Status: Moving along slowly
Need: ? Does Denis & company want more contributors at this stage?
Accessible Online Learning additions to EOWG Resources — potential new portal page & content (Dave & Mary leading)
Status: Moving along slowly
Need: ? Do they want more contributors at this stage?
- Tutorial Roadmap: (Eric leading)
- (done) 2.0 -> 2/2.1 in text
- Identify 2.1 gaps in existing tutorials
- Filling 2.1 gaps in existing tutorials
- Put in new design
- Develop new tutorials
- WAI-Guide project work
- Mobile Accessibility guidance - rethink Mobile Developer Intro and related resources (Shawn leading)
2017 Charter Work Completed
@@ Shawn will update soon (include pointer to https://www.w3.org/wiki/WCAG21updates#Done_-_EO )@@
- Essential Components of Web Accessibility update published with site May 2018
- How to Make Your Presentations Accessible to All update published with site May 2018
- Involving Users in Web Projects for Better, Easier Accessibility update published with site May 2018
- Involving Users in Evaluating Web Accessibility update published with site May 2018
- Developing Web Accessibility Presentations and Training update published with site May 2018
- Introduction to Web Accessibility updated 7 February 2018
- Selecting Web Accessibility Evaluation Tools updated 23 December 2017
- Stories of Web Users updated 22 December 2017
- Easy Checks - A First Review of Web Accessibility updated 22 December 2017
- Web Accessibility Laws and Policies updated 15 December 2017
WAI Resources that EOWG contributed to:
- Overview of “Web Accessibility for Older Users: A Literature Review” significant update published with site May 2018
- Older Users and Web Accessibility: Meeting the Needs of Ageing Web Users minor update published with site May 2018
- 8 Role Pages, e.g., Resources for Developers new pages published with site May 2018
- W3C Accessibility Standards Overview new page published with site May 2018
- Teach and Advocate Overview new page published with site May 2018
- Planning and Policies Overview new page published with site May 2018
- Design and Develop Overview new page published with site May 2018
- How WAI Develops Accessibility Guidelines through the W3C Process: Milestones and Opportunities to Contribute updated 16 February 2018
- Referencing and Linking to WAI Guidelines and Technical Documents updated 15 February 2018
- Evaluating Web Accessibility Overview updated 13 February 2018
- Accessibility - W3C updated 1 December 2017
- Mobile Accessibility at W3C updated October 2017
2017-2020 Charter Work Schedule
The table below includes a column for the latest Status of deliverables and work items. The other columns show the initially planned schedule; those other columns will not be changed/updated in this table. EOWG work priorities are evaluated regularly by EOWG and WAI staff. Work priorities are periodically revised based on current education and outreach needs, editor availability, and the progress of deliverables in other WAI Working Groups with which EOWG has dependencies.
|Priority||Resource||what & notes||Status on 20 Oct '18||Q3'17||Q4'17||Q1'18||Q2'18||Q3'18||Q4'18||Q1'19||Q2'19||Q3'19||Q4'19||Q1'20||Q2'20|
|1||Policies||First: Update with submitted data
Later: Address issues slated for post-launch enhancements: Policies issues in GitHub; update data for other regions, e.g., Australian states, Canadian provinces, and US states.
|In progress||complete submitted data updates|
|1||Editorial guidelines||Expand existing Style guide.||Ongoing||complete|
|1||Understanding WCAG 2.1||Assist AG WG in developing Understanding support material for new WCAG 2.1 success criteria — probably through a joint Task Force.||In progress||slow||most active||active||maybe slow||little||little||little||little||little||little||little||little|
|1||Priority 1 Resources to be determined||Minor updates for WAI site redesign.||Completed||complete|
|1||Intro||Update 1 and replace 2 with that conent; check if any info from 2 should be added for WAI page or moved elsewhere.||Completed||complete
|1||UI Components List||Implement Action Plan for Improved Quality & Management of List.||On hold for WAI-Guide project coordination||[charter milestone: complete March 2018]|
|2||Mobile resources||Reframe and update set of pages: landing page, overlap, experiences, and new Mobile Developers' Intro.||Completed||complete|
|2||Older user resources||Reframe and update set of pages: overview, overlap, lit review, presentation.||Completed||complete
|Outreach||Developing Presentations and Training||First: Update with links to new material.
Later: Develop more content.
|Update links: completed;
More content: Starting Jan 2019
|[charter milestone: complete Dec 2018]
|Outreach||Presentations||Update (or retire) existing presentation content and markup bcase, using WCAG2, benefits WCAG 2, components.||[charter milestone: complete Dec 2018]
|Outreach||Translations||Develop framework; review translations.||In progress, to be completed Q4 2018||[charter milestone: complete Dec 2018]
|Outreach||Outreach campaigns||Develop plans, implement.||[charter milestone: complete Dec 2018]
|Easy Checks||Easy Checks||Develop interactive version.||[charter milestone: complete March 2019]
|3||Tips Getting Started||Planning into 2: Managing, Directing.||complete|
|3||Presentations||Develop new presentations for outreach.||complete|
|3||How PWDs Use Web||Significant restructure.||Completed||complete
|3||Business Case||Update - needs rethinking approach.||To be published Nov 2018||complete
|3||Select Authoring Tools||Update.||complete
|3||Selecting Eval Tools||Update to synch with Tools List categories.||Completed||complete|
|3||Eval resources: 1, 2, 3||Update (or retire).||complete
|3||Better Web Browsing||Update or retire.||complete
|BAD||(update, if editor availability)|
|Accessibility Conformance Statements||(develop, if editor availability)||To be published Nov 2018|
|Curriculum/Training/Teaching material||maybe material for trainers, maybe full course/curriculum for self-study (if editor availability)||Starting Jan 2019||
|Tutorials, developer guides, or other "explainers"||on other topics (if editor availability)||In progress||complete
|Role-based guidance||(develop, if editor availability)||In progress|
|Accessible Online Learning information||(develop, if editor availability)||In progress|
|Publishing-related information||(develop, if editor availability)|
Additional in Charter
If projects are defined and resources are available, EOWG may also:
- Develop publishing-related information in coordination with Publishing@W3C — This will most likely be adding information to existing EOWG Resources — for example, adding publishing examples to the sub-pages of How People with Disabilities Use the Web, although it could be new resources.
- Revise existing material or develop new material around the needs of users with cognitive disabilities, and accessibility solutions.
- Support user interface development, and education and outreach around "Silver" with the AG WG.
- Develop more role-based guidance — Work in the WAI Engage Community Group related to role-based guidance may develop to the point it is mature enough for EOWG review and publishing on the main WAI website.
- Revise existing material or develop new material based on AccessLearn CG input.
EOWG work priorities are evaluated regularly by EOWG and WAI staff. Work priorities are periodically revised based on current education and outreach needs, and the progress of deliverables in other WAI Working Groups with which EOWG has dependencies. Therefore, the priority of deliverables listed above are subject to change based on changed circumstances, and timelines below may be adjusted.
Older info: EOWG Work under 2015-2017 Charter
Ideas on future work
- (Ideas included in the 2017 Charter are above)
- (Previous ideas at [https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/EO_2017_Chartering#Possible_work_in_scope: 2017 charter possible work in scope)
Sent to WAI Coordination Call:
- Proactive on [accessibility aspects of] emerging issues, such as Vibration API, Push/Notifications APIs, Gamepad API, graphics accessibility
- Internationalizing the accessibility work at W3C (beyond translations), including increased attention on the "crossover" issue of sign language users, since that community includes many who see their issue as one of language rather than disability
- Standardization of gestures across OS on touchscreen devices (POS, EFTPOS, kiosks etc)