Important note: This Wiki page is edited by participants of the EOWG. It does not necessarily represent consensus and it may have incorrect information or information that is not supported by other Working Group participants, WAI, or W3C. It may also have some very useful information.
- 1 2019 Outreach Planning
- 2 2019 Mentions of EOWG & other WAI resources
- 3 Misc Notes
- 4 Past Outreach Work
2019 Outreach Planning
- Promoting WAI Translations - started 28 March 2019; second wave in late July please :-)
- Promoting Accessibility Principles - ready mid-May 2019
- Quick Ref - ready 9 July 2019
- (? Next) Planning and Managing Web Accessibility
Dates to consider outreach around:
- GAAD (3rd Thursday each May)
- UN IDPD (3 Dec)
Everyone can do now
- To conference organizers — Encourage conference organizers to send this to all their presenters: How to Make Your Presentations Accessible to All https://www.w3.org/WAI/teach-advocate/accessible-presentations/ Hopefully some "thought-leaders" will follow the link, look around and find other useful info on the site, and spread the word about WAI resources.
- External promotion — For articles, blogs, tweets, etc. that cover topics related to WAI resources yet don't mention the WAI resource, add it to the comments &/or otherwise encourage the author to add it.
2019 Mentions of EOWG & other WAI resources
If related to translations, please record on the "Promoting WAI Translations" page under Record of outreach and mentions section (instead of below).
- Video Intro — on W3C home page and Poscasts and Videos page
- Deque training
- Perspectives videos (Keyboard Compatibility and Understandable Content) are used as part of Deque's Fundamentals Accessibility training materials.
- EOWG tutorials (Images, Forms and Page Structure) are used as part of Deque's Fundamentals Accessibility training materials.
- Planning and Managing Web Accessibility is used as part of Deque's Accessibility for Managers training materials.
- Tips for Getting Started is used as part of Deque's Role-Based Accessibility training materials (Designers, Content Creators, Developers).
- kudos: "I think the @w3c_wai did a really nice job with their site redesign. The new site is user friendly and chalk full of tips, tutorials, and reference material. Keep up the great work, it's greatly appreciated! #A11y #InclusiveDesign" @mr_marcsolomon tweet
- Accessibility brown bag at the Library of Congress - 25 + developers, designers, manager, content creator attended. We shared the draft ARRM with the group and discussed how to integrate the framework in our projects. The reaction was very positive. During the discussion as a response to questions, I shared the links to the Perspectives videos and How People with Disabilities use the web. This meeting is new and growing. It was our 2nd meeting. Next meeting is in June. - April 4.
- Tweet directed at developers with a link to a tweet with resources for developers: https://twitter.com/yatil/status/1114102076890648576
- "WCAG 2.1 Quick reference is super neat and easy to navigate! Nice work @w3c_wai ..." Romaric Pascal twitter 6 March
- Moving the Needle on K12 Accessibility. Presentation at SXSWedu. Hands on workshop, intro includes Accessibility principles, components of web accessibility, HPWDUW, more. March 4.
- Digital Accessibility Master Classpresentation at SXSW Interactive. March 9.
- Changing the Culture of Corporate Accessibility Training. Presentation at CSUN 2019. Workshop discussing how to create training within your company. Referencing WAI materials as a starting point.
- "I took the liberty to embed the great introductory video "Introduction to Web Accessibility and W3C Standards" on our website: https://www.e-accessibility.ch/#/eaccessibility." - 18 March
- Teaching Accessibility and Inclusive Design in Higher Education Curriculum. Part of this CSUN presentation reviewed "How people with disabilities use the web," "Web Accessibility Perspectives videos," and the business case for digital accessibility as resources for course content. March 13.
- Understanding the User Experience Behind the New WCAG 2.1 Requirements @ CSUN
- Developing Web Accessibility Educational Resources with W3C WAI @ CSUN
- Several links and embedded accessibility intro video in this PracticalEcommerce Article: WCAG 2.1 a Welcome Update to Web Accessibility
- WCAG Overview link in Vox 5 Feb
- Webinar overview of all WAI resources: Shawn/TPG 5 February
- Meetup overview of all WAI resources: Sharron in Austin 5 February
- Company-internal sharing on chats and social networks: Introduction video, business case, WCAG 2.0-2.1 evolution (Stephane – Jan 2019)
- Business Case Twitter mention by Mark Wilcock, retweeted a few times. Business Case tweet (Sharron, 08 February, 2019)
- Jennison Asuncion shared some instructions for 'talk hosts' at Accessibility Camp Bay Area on 9/March including: (Andrew)
"Whether you consider yourself a pro when it comes to leading talks that are inclusive of everyone, I strongly encourage you to review this resource www.w3.org/WAI/training/accessible.php"
- Business Case blogged by Australia Network on Disability in The Business Case for Digital Accessibility on 28 Feb (Andrew)
- Persona quotes for 2.1 SCs — "Digging the persona quotes @w3c_wai added to the WCAG 2.1 Guidelines. Eg:..." — Nina_Amato 23 Jan
Rough collection of ideas for now — for specific outreach campaigns, general activities, etc.:
- Update relevant Wikipedia articles to include info & links to WAI website
- Material to support other people's education and outreach - e.g., example presentations [is in current EOWG Charter deliverables]
- Sign languages for intro video & perspectives videos
- Specific outreach around low vision and cognitive issues and WCAG 2.1 - Wayne e-mail Nov 2018
- Demo(s) at TPAC
- ATAG & UAAG
- Videos &/or podcasts introducing topics &/or resources
- Maybe develop short video intros to Quick Ref, Report tool, others
- Overview video - Introduction to WAI Web Site [have from recent webinar - just need to get them to process captions]
- Evaluation resources
- How People with Disabilities Use the Web resource
- other ideas in March 2019 Survey
- Contacts for promotion - lists online tech news sites, blogs, disability organizations, reporters, etc. that might contribute to our outreach efforts
- 23 October 2018 EOWG minutes — General agreement for not trying too much right away, instead, small steps. Resolution: EOWG will have outreach on the survey and as a topic at every meeting for at least 5 minutes.
Past Outreach Work
General (old notes)
- Promoting Showcase Videos <-- example of past campaign
- Promoting Laws & Policies List
- Presentation at CSUN 2017 - CSUN2017 Walk through WAI
- Presentation at AHG2016 - Walk through WAI Resources
- Promoting Getting Started Tips
- Promoting Easy Checks
- Promoting Mobile Accessibility
- Promoting Components & ATAG, Outreach for ATAG 2.0
- UT May 2015
- Promoting UAAG
- Promoting Accessibility in Courses & training resource suite
- Outreach for ATAG 2.0 October 2013
- Promoting WCAG as ISO
- Promoting Make Presentations Accessible - February 2012
- Promoting BAD - January 2012 (inactive)
- Promoting Contact Orgs Inaccessible Sites - December 2011
GAAD 2019 tweets
Feel free to put any edits, rewrites, or comments after the draft text below. Feel free to add other ideas, too.
- Wondering what #GAAD and digital #accessibility is all about? See the Introduction to Accessibility at https://www.w3.org/WAI/fundamentals/accessibility-intro/ - #a11y
- Check out this 4-minute Video Introduction to Web Accessibility and W3C Standards https://www.w3.org/WAI/videos/standards-and-benefits/ Useful for promoting #GAAD #a11y
- Speaking of videos, our 1-minute Perspectives Videos highlight how accessibility is essential for people with disabilities & useful for all. https://www.w3.org/WAI/perspective-videos/ They demonstrate the impact of #accessibility and benefits for everyone in a variety of situations. #a11y #gaad
- The updated Accessibility Principles page provides intros to making digital content accessible to people with disabilities. It links to standards for websites, apps, browsers, and other tools. And to personas - stories of web users. https://www.w3.org/WAI/fundamentals/accessibility-principles/ - #GAAD #a11y
- User perspectives also introduce the new #accessibility standards in #WCAG 2.1 on the web page: "What’s New in WCAG 2.1" at https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/new-in-21/ - #GAAD #a11y
Have you heard about the new #accessibility standards in #WCAG 2.1 and haven't learned them yet? What’s New in WCAG 2.1 https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/new-in-21/ is the place to start to understand the user perspective. #GAAD #a11y
- It's Global Accessibility Awareness Day #GAAD! Do you want to help make it even more global? We're seeking volunteer translators for #WAI #accessibility resources. See https://www.w3.org/WAI/about/translating/ Thanks!- #a11y
- Have you ever wondered how people with disabilities use the web? Take a look at https://www.w3.org/WAI/people-use-web/ a collection of stories of web users, diverse abilities and barriers, and tools and techniques #gaad #a11y