The Web Accessibility Initiative - Communities of Practice (WAI-CooP) Project invites researchers, practitioners, and users with disabilities to participate in an international online symposium exploring best practices and challenges in accessibility evaluation and monitoring.
- Symposium date: 16 November 2023
This online symposium brings together researchers, academics, industry, government, and people with disabilities, to explore practices and challenges involved in monitoring and evaluating digital accessibility. We aim to focus this discussion on current challenges and opportunities in three main areas, digital accessibility training, mobile accessibility, and Artificial Intelligence.
This symposium aims to foster a common discussion between researchers and practitioners to work in collaboration to discuss opportunities to improve the current state of accessibility research and practice.
After the symposium, the WAI-CooP project will publish a report, consolidating the discussions and findings.
- 13 November 2023: Deadline for registration
- 16 November 2023: Online symposium event
Participation is free, and you must register by 13 November 2023.
Session 1: Digital Accessibility Training and Education
- Moderator: Jade Matos Carew (The Open University, UK)
- Sarah Lewthwaite (University of Southampton, UK)
- Audrey Maniez (Access42, FR)
This session aims to explore the present landscape of digital accessibility training. We will discuss current challenges related to course offerings, scope, and regional focus, and explore opportunities for further integration into university curricula.
Session 2: Mobile Accessibility
- Moderator: Detlev Fischer (DIAS GmbH, DE)
- André Pimenta Freire (Universidade Federal de Lavras, BR)
- Paul van Workum (Digitoegankelijk / Abra / Appt foundation, NL)
This session aims to discuss current challenges on evaluating mobile applications. We will explore current standards and guidelines coverage, as well as discuss the role of automatic tools in mobile accessibility evaluations.
Session 3: Artificial Intelligence for Accessibility Evaluation
- Moderator: Matthew Atkinson (Samsung R&D Institute, UK)
- Yeliz Yesilada (Middle East Technical University, TR)
- Alain Vagner (SIP, LU)
This session aims to discuss the growing role of Artificial Intelligence in digital accessibility evaluation and monitoring. We will explore opportunities and considerations to ensure responsible and effective use of Artificial Intelligence for assessing digital accessibility.
The following times are in CET (UTC+1). Check your time zone.
- 14:00 Start of Meeting
- 14:00 - 14:15 Welcome Session
- 14:15 - 15:15 Session 1: Digital Accessibility Training and Education
- 15:15 - 15:25 Coffee Break
- 15:25 - 16:25 Session 2: Mobile Accessibility
- 16:25 - 16:35 Coffee Break
- 16:35 - 17:35 Session 3: Artificial Intelligence for Accessibility Evaluation
- 17:40 End of Meeting
Logistics and Accessibility
This meeting will take place on the Zoom teleconference system with real-time captioning, and International Sign Language. Connection details will be sent by email to registered participants.
- Carlos Duarte (LASIGE, Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon)
- Letícia Seixas Pereira (LASIGE, Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon)
This research symposium is organized by the WAI-CooP Project, an European Commission co-funded project.Back to Top