W3C Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
  • Past
  • Confirmed


Event details

Greenwich Mean Time
every 7 days, starting from 2023-02-23, until 2023-05-11
Location: https://www.w3.org/2017/09/i18n-meeting-info.html
Internationalization Working Group ( View calendar)

NOTE WELL This meeting is scheduled in the Europe/London time zone. That time zone observes Daylight Savings/Summer Time. Your local time for this call may vary due to differences in your local time zone's observation of DST/ST from that of the UK.



Things to do before the meeting:


Topic: Agenda Review
Send agenda+ requests to the public-i18n-core@ list in advance of the meeting!

Topic: Action Items
Review of open action items from previous meetings

Topic: Info Share
Share information of interest to the working group or pertaining to internationalization in general.

Topic: RADAR Review
Time to review new and on-going requests for specification review. Incoming requests are assigned to shepherds in this part of the call.
In addition, we review the status of specifications that have received comments. Please review your issues and owned items in advance of the call

Topic: Pending Issue Review
Review of new and pending issues raised by working group members or via the various bots.

Topic: Additions to I18N Glossary (proposal)
Richard provided a list of proposed glossary additions. Let's discuss adding them.

  • Proposal
    In addition, the WHATWG Infra folks have noted some breakage when we both define the same terms. We need to discuss how to avoid doing that while providing full service to our customers. See this issue for discussion:
  • https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/issues/20

Topic: IRIs and the URL spec: what's our policy here?
We re-visited our recommendations and the current status last week. Now we need to discuss whether we're happy with our recommendations.

Topic: Contact Picker API
Atsushi has an issue for us to review

Topic: Bidi named entities in HTML: now what?
HTML has established a firm policy against having any new named entities for reasons. Let's discuss.

Topic: Update the W3C style guide I18N section?
The section about I18N in the W3C style guide might need work...

Topic: Review proposed changes to accept-language
Chrome is thinking of reducing accept-language values on HTTP and in navigator.language so that only the first item is shown and the q list is not. Of course, this comes from security concerns.

Richard notes:

Seems to me that if you're worried about security you wouldn't add those q lists to your default, rather than clobbering all the multilingual people out there who want accept-language to work as designed.
What does the group think?

Topic: WoT Profile review two draft issues
Atsushi has brought us two issues for review!

Topic: AOB?


Getting too many of these notifications? Read this email from Richard on how to manage notifications.


If you are set to scribe and cannot make it, please send regrets to the chair. Volunteers to act as scribe cheerfully accepted.

Bert [2023-02-02]
Fuqiao [2023-02-09]
Atsushi [2023-02-16]
Felix [2023-02-23]

Chair's Link Farm


Export options

Personal Links

Please log in to export this event with all the information you have access to.

Public Links

The following links do not contain any sensitive information and can be shared publicly.


Report feedback and issues on GitHub.