Validator 0.8.6 release wraps up a year's worth of bug fixes and code clean-up
Over the past year, millions of pages were validated every day using W3C's services. We'd like to thank those who keeping service running smoothly by helping other users, carefully reporting problems, and developing code. We'd especially like to thank Ville Skyttä for continuing maintenance of the validator check perl script and Henri Sivonen for continuing work on the validator.nu code.
Changes in the 0.8.6 release notes include:
- Enhancement: improved error handling and diagnostics for problems
- Enhancement: updated Unicorn output.
- Enhancement: the EARL/RDF output format has been updated to version 1.0 (20091029 Working Draft).
- Enhancement: support for charsets specified with
<meta charset="...">in HTML5 documents has been added (provided that HTML::HeadParser >= 3.60 is installed).
- Bug fix: recommended system identifier for XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 documents was incorrect.
- Bug fix: direct input whenout overriding doctype or charset passed an invalid Content-Type header to the HTML5 validator.
- Bug fix: there were several errors in the JSON output.
- Bug fix: bad DC terms namespace prefix in the XHTML+RDFa "badge" example code.
- Bug fix: the SOAP API produced invalid XML when giving character encoding suggestions.
- … and a whole slew of minor spelling, code cleanup, server error log warning trash, minor performance and the like fixes here and there. Kudos to perltidy and perlcritic for many of these.
- occurred when decoding Content-Encodings, when cleaning up markup with Tidy, and when interfacing with the HTML5 validator.
The validator.nu codebase has seen over 100 fixes and enhancements since our 0.8.5 release in March 2009.
Integration with Unicorn, a project which aims to provide the big picture about the quality of a Web page by gathering the results of several tools, has improved. Unicorn development continues with a recent release of its own and will be a focus in the coming months.
Authors: Dan Connolly and Ted Guild