WG WoT Thing Description WebConf

From Web of Things Interest Group

The WoT Thing Description task force is responsible for defining the information model for WoT Thing metadata, its interpretation, and its common representation. In addition, the task force covers WoT Binding Templates topics to define the mapping from the abstract interaction model used in the Thing Description metadata to concrete IoT protocols and payload encodings.

Wednesdays at 7am US Pacific / 10am US Eastern / 4pm Europe / 10pm China / Midnight Korea & Japan

This is a WoT WG WebConf and underlies the W3C Patent Policy

Call Moderation

The TF is moderated together by Ege Korkan and Michael Koster

  • Koster: Basic architectural design, document structure, etc. Project management (keep people informed on the process)
  • Ege: concrete description based on the design (constructing the statements for normative/informative style for implementability and testability), call moderation
  • Together: Work on how to improve the spec collaboratively, e.g., schedule of the deliverables, and keeping up with the deadlines.
    • We join the calls together unless there is a conflict.
    • Responsibility is not split, it is shared. If someone asks a question, both should be able to answer it.
  • Feedback from the TF:
    • Cris: Testability should be assured
    • Kaz and Koster: TD still does the governance of testing, we are responsible. To be further discussed and the relationship to testing TF clarified.

Zoom

IRC

The IRC is used for the minutes, speaker queue, and sharing links etc.

Scribe List

If an attendee joins after a break, do not give them the scribe role immediately. The one at the top scribes next time they join. Move people to the bottom once they scribe.

  • Mahda Noura
  • Michael Koster
  • Daniel Peintner
  • Kaz Ashimura
  • Luca Barbato
  • Cristiano Aguzzi
  • Jan Romann
  • Ege Korkan

Agenda

Cancellations: See https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Main_WoT_WebConf#Cancellations_and_Schedule_Updates

Note: Wednesdays start with TD topics and Thursdays start with Binding Templates topics. The other topics will be allocated dynamically based on time left. We will strikethrough discussed topics.

Backlog

For all members, you can edit this header before the meeting and add your points. Please do not insert your topics directly into one of the other headers. TF Moderators will adjust the agenda accordingly.

  1. Example Item 1: Discussing topic ABC (Ege Korkan)
  2. Errata Management: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/2019
  3. Historical Data Analysis: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/analysis-historical-data-work-item.md
  4. Needed by other TF label: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/1980
  5. Reviews of the individual bindings to extract use cases
    • Waiting for UC Pipeline to be defined
    • Extracting missing mechanisms and documenting them
      • Missing op mappings that are possible
      • Missing protocol mechanisms (e.g. can we do message pattern X of protocol Y in the binding Y?)
        • Asking for more input from experts can help
        • CA: An example would be the request-response pattern in MQTT. If we can not do it, it should be a use case. If we can, it is a lack of documentation, thus a simple issue.
        • MQTT: HiveMQ
        • CoAP: Jan Romann knows people. We can also ask Klaus Hartke from Siemens
        • HTTP: Needs people but the WG is quite knowledgeable in general
        • Websocket: Needs people
        • SSE: Needs people
        • Modbus: We got a lot of input already but can be double-checked
        • BACnet: Quite recent, needs more time

May 29 and 30 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: Ege cannot join this and next week's Thursday.
  5. Quick Schedule:
    • Wednesday: TD Tooling Sub TF Report, Initial Connection, TD Project/Backlog
    • Thursday: Registry, Binding Mechanism Refactoring, TD Project/Backlog

TD

  1. Toolchain Discussion
  2. Project and Backlog

Binding Templates

  1. Note published: https://www.w3.org/TR/2024/NOTE-wot-binding-templates-20240528/
  2. Registry
  3. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec

Resource Management

  1. Discussion on merge or squash commits in general


May 22 and 23 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: Ege cannot join next two weeks' Thursday.
  5. Quick Schedule:
    • Wednesday: Errata, TD Tooling Sub TF Report, Binding Note Publication Resolution, TD Project/Backlog
    • Thursday: Registry, Binding Mechanism Refactoring, TD Project/Backlog

TD

  1. Errata Rendering Script removal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/2023
  2. Toolchain Discussion
  3. Project and Backlog

Binding Templates

  1. Note Publication: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/issues/362
  2. Registry
  3. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec

Resource Management

  1. Discussion on merge or squash commits in general

May 15 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets:
  5. Quick Schedule:
    • Wednesday: Errata, TD Tooling Sub TF Report, Binding Note Review, TD Project.
    • Thursday: Cancelled
  6. Readme PR: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/2016

TD

  1. Errata Management: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/2019
  2. Toolchain Discussion
  3. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  4. What can be done without use cases will be anything without the use case label:
  5. At the end, look into the "In Progress" column of the project

Binding Templates

  1. Note Publication: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/issues/362
  2. Registry
  3. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec

Resource Management

  1. Discussion on merge or squash commits in general

May 8 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets:
  5. Quick Schedule:
    • Wednesday: TD Tooling Sub TF, Binding Note Publication, Project Management: splitting the workload. If time left: Registry Mechanism/Requirements, Refactoring (Binding to TD)

TD

  1. Toolchain Discussion:

Binding Templates

  1. Note Publication: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/issues/362 - https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pull/363
  2. Registry
  3. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec

Resource Management

  1. Discussion on merge or squash commits in general

Project Management

  1. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. GH Project: https://github.com/orgs/w3c/projects/80
  3. What can be done without use cases will be anything without the use case label:

May 2 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets:
  5. Quick Schedule:
    • Thursday: Errata (process and ontology erratas), Refactoring (Binding to TD), Binding Note Publication, Project Management, Small PRs to Binding

TD

  1. Ontology errata:
  2. REC Resources:
  3. Toolchain Discussion:
  4. High-level overview of the work: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md

Binding Templates

  1. Registry
  2. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec
  3. Small PRs to Bindings

Resource Management

  1. Discussion on merge or squash commits in general

Project Management

  1. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. GH Project Automation Workflows: https://github.com/orgs/w3c/projects/80/workflows/19195242

April 24 and 25 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets:
  5. Quick Schedule:
    • Wednesday: Ontology Errata, Project Management, if time left Toolchain Updates,
    • Thursday: Refactoring (Binding to TD), Small PRs, if time left: Resource Management and Registry Requirements

TD

  1. News: We reached Issue/PR 2000!
  2. Ontology errata:
  3. Toolchain Discussion:
  4. High-level overview of the work: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md

Binding Templates

  1. Registry
  2. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec
  3. Small PRs

Resource Management

  1. Discussion on merge or squash commits in general

Project Management

  1. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Workflow:

April 18, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: Daniel
  5. Quick Schedule:
    • Thursday: TTWG Binding Registry Analysis, Toolchain Updates, Ontology Errata, Refactoring (Binding to TD)

TD

  1. News: We reached Issue/PR 2000!
  2. Ontology erratas:
  3. Toolchain Discussion:
  4. High-level overview of the work: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md

Binding Templates

  1. Registry
  2. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec
  3. Small PRs


Resource Management

  1. Discussion on merge or squash commits in general

Project Management

  1. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

April 11, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets:
  5. Quick Schedule:
    • Thursday: TD Next and Binding Registry. If time is left and there are PRs, toolchain

TD

  1. TD Next Editor's Draft: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1997
  2. Toolchain Discussion:

# High-level overview of the work: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md

Binding Templates

  1. Small but important Modbus Changes: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pull/359
  2. Registry

# Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec

==== Resource Management ====

  1. Discussion on merge or squash commits in general

Project Management

  1. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

April 3 and 4, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets:
  5. Any volunteers for TTWG registry analysis? https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/1188
  6. Quick Schedule:
    • Wednesday: Small TD stuff, Toolchain and then Refactoring
    • Thursday: Resource Management Joint Discussion
    • If time left: Project Management Proposal

TD

  1. Prettier https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1970 -> Merged
  2. Small follow up PR: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1992
  3. Small PR on respec errors: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1993
  4. Toolchain Discussion:
  5. High-level overview of the work: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md

Binding Templates

  1. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec

Resource Management

  1. Thursday: Joint Resource Management Discussion with a focus on versioning
  2. Discussion on merge or squash commits in general

Project Management

  1. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

March 27 and 28, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. New IRC Web Client: Same functionality, new UI
  2. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  3. Agenda Review
  4. Draft minutes of last week:
  5. Regrets: Mahda
  6. Quick Schedule:
    • Wednesday: Toolchain and TTWG Registry analysis
    • Thursday: Resource Management Joint Discussion

TD

  1. Toolchain Discussion:
  2. High-level overview of the work: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  3. Prettier https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1970

Binding Templates

  1. Registry
  2. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec
    • We do not move the individual bindings, only the core document
    • Table of Contents review. Which section goes where?
      • Appendix A of TD overlaps with Bindings section 5
      • 7.2 and 7.3 have overlaps with binding mechanism.
      • 8.3 overlaps with HTTP binding -> We can remove 8.3 carefully by making sure that there is no information loss.
      • Anything that mentions the forms container need to be checked. E.g. 6.3.9 and 5.3.4.
      • Otherwise, we can move the whole binding document as a new section. Between section 7 and 8.

Resource Management

  1. Thursday: Joint Resource Management Discussion with a focus on versioning

Project Management

  1. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

March 20 and 21, 2024

Cancelled

March 13 and 14, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: Mahda
  5. Breakouts Debriefing
  6. TD cancelled for next Wednesday

TD

  1. Toolchain Discussion:
  2. High-level overview of the work: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  3. Versioning Discussion (FYI, discussion done separately)
  4. Prettier https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1970

Binding Templates

  1. CoAP: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pull/352
  2. Registry Requirements
  3. Refactoring and moving the binding mechanism document to the TD spec
    • We do not move the individual bindings, only the core document
    • Table of Contents review. Which section goes where?
      • Appendix A of TD overlaps with Bindings section 5
      • 7.2 and 7.3 have overlaps with binding mechanism.
      • 8.3 overlaps with HTTP binding -> We can remove 8.3 carefully by making sure that there is no information loss.
      • Anything that mentions the forms container need to be checked. E.g. 6.3.9 and 5.3.4.
      • Otherwise, we can move the whole binding document as a new section. Between section 7 and 8.

Management

  1. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

Use Case Discussion

  1. What to do here, what to do in Use Cases TF:
  2. Also see https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/261
  3. Expectations of stakeholders from the use case TF and the use case process: https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/272
  4. Geolocation Requirements: (links below are sent by Daniel and Michael Lagally)

March 06 and 07, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets:
  5. Breakouts next week

TD

  1. High-level overview of the work: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Versioning Discussion
  3. Toolchain Discussion:

Binding Templates

  1. CoAP: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pull/352
  2. Registry Requirements
  3. Refactoring and Moving the core document to TD spec

Management

  1. Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

Use Case Discussion

  1. What to do here, what to do in Use Cases TF:
  2. Also see https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/261
  3. Expectations of stakeholders from the use case TF and the use case process: https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/272
  4. Geolocation Requirements: (links below are sent by Daniel and Michael Lagally)

February 28 and February 29, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: Ege, Mahda
  5. Review discussion from February 28

TD

  1. Discuss semantic versioning, develop a consensus recommendation for the WG
  2. Discuss issues with the rendering script
  3. Brainstorming on high level processes for Toolchain, Ontology, and Registry analysis
  4. Toolchain Requirements: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1975/files

Binding Templates

  1. CoAP: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pull/352
  2. Registry Analysis

Management

  1. Reorganization of Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
    • We need to wait for the use cases TF for anything UC-relevant. Should we start this for other items, e.g. tooling, binding mechanism moving to TD etc.?
  2. Backlog Cleanup about Scripting API issues
  3. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

Use Case Discussion

  1. What to do here, what to do in Use Cases TF:
  2. Also see https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/261
  3. Expectations of stakeholders from the use case TF and the use case process: https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/272
  4. Geolocation Requirements: (links below are sent by Daniel and Michael Lagally)

February 21 and February 22, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: TBD
  5. Ege may not be available on 28 and 29 of Feb, definitely not available March 20-21.

TD

  1. TM Namespace: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/1807
  2. DONE Toolchain Requirements: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1975/files

Binding Templates

  1. Merged Editorial PRs: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+label%3AEditorial+sort%3Aupdated-desc
  2. CoAP: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pull/352
  3. Registry Analysis

Management

  1. Reorganization of Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
    • We need to wait for the use cases TF for anything UC-relevant. Should we start this for other items, e.g. tooling, binding mechanism moving to TD etc.?
  2. Backlog Cleanup about Scripting API issues
  3. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

Use Case Discussion

  1. What to do here, what to do in Use Cases TF:
  2. Also see https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/261
  3. Expectations of stakeholders from the use case TF and the use case process: https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/272
  4. Geolocation Requirements: (links below are sent by Daniel and Michael Lagally)

February 14 and February 15, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: TBD
  5. Ege may not be available on 28 and 29 of Feb, definitely not available March 20-21.

Bindings, Profiles, Design

DONE EXCEPT LAST POINT

  1. Ben Francis will be there on Wednesday to talk about this topic.
  2. Relevant discussions:
  3. Where should the discussion continue? -> Let's not let the results of yesterday go cold!

TD

  1. TM Namespace: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/1807

DONE

  1. Versioning Discussion: Ege, Luca, Mahda and Klaus H. met separately.

Binding Templates

  1. Merged Editorial PRs: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+label%3AEditorial+sort%3Aupdated-desc
  2. Profinet Binding: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pull/351
    • Only FYI and initial feedback at the moment.
  3. Registry Analysis

Management

  1. Reorganization of Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
    • We need to wait for the use cases TF for anything UC-relevant. Should we start this for other items, e.g. tooling, binding mechanism moving to TD etc.?
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md
    • New tables for non UC work items or integrate to first table with new categories. Ege to come with a proposal

Use Case Discussion

  1. What to do here, what to do in Use Cases TF:
  2. Also see https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/261
  3. Expectations of stakeholders from the use case TF and the use case process:
    • Let's create an issue in the UC repo after the call with the information below
    • TD TF Participants (first priority)
      • Ege:
        • 1. An issue created in the TD repository that has all the information needed to start working on the discussions to design the feature. This means that the TD TF is not required to contact the people involved in the creation of the use case and requirement and that no other document but the issue is required to create the feature
        • 2. The person to contact who is interested in implementing it in a WoT implementation (Thing or Consumer). If the feature is needed by TD TF participants, this can be omitted by putting the TF participant as the contact. This is important so that we do not work on features that no one is interested in implementing, ending up removed after testing for the implementation report. (+1 from Cris)
      • Luca:
        • 1. So that we do not lose something. E.g. there is a whole application area due to a missing feature.
        • 2. From a Marketing POV: People who are looking for a problem can find the solution to their problem. -> That implies that from use cases and requirements we point to the features (UC -> req -> feature)
      • Cris:
        • 1. Something actionable that we can discuss in the TD TF and implement into the spec.
    • Users or Implementors of TD (and WoT)
      • This stakeholder group should be clarified. E.g. do we mean developers, architects, end user (non technical person), etc.
      • Ege: Identify a similar use case to theirs and get more context about a specific feature.
      • Luca: There should be no need to go to use cases document to understand something. If that happens, our spec is not clear enough. For a more advanced user, we can show a way to submit a UC if they find a gap in the respective chapter of the spec. This will help us get more specific input. This can be guided via an issue template.
      • Cris: It would help to know if they are in "uncharted" territories. In that case, we can say that "you may have issues since we did not explore this area yet". If it already exists, then they can refer to the existing work and even contact the people (including WG/IG people) who were involved in that use case.
  4. Geolocation Requirements: Needs input from Michael Lagally

February 7 and February 8, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: TBD
  5. DONE: Goal of Wednesday: Clean the agenda! Talk about management and use case topics.
  6. What to do with the previous slot taking too long. We lose a relatively long part of the session.

TD

  1. DONE: Wrong SHACL errors: PR: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1966
  2. Toolchain improvement analysis: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1967
  3. Versioning Discussion (to be done Thursday 08 Feb with McCool)

Binding Templates

  1. Merged Editorial PRs: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+label%3AEditorial+sort%3Aupdated-desc
  2. Registry Analysis


Management

  1. Reorganization of Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
    • We need to wait for the use cases TF for anything UC-relevant. Should we start this for other items, e.g. tooling, binding mechanism moving to TD etc.?
    • DONE: https://github.com/w3c/wot/pull/1176
  2. DONE: Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md
    • New tables for non UC work items or integrate to first table with new categories. Ege to come with a proposal

Use Case Discussion

  1. What to do here, what to do in Use Cases TF:
  2. Also see https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/261
  3. Expectations of stakeholders from the use case TF and the use case process:
    • TD TF Participants (first priority)
      • Ege:
        • 1. An issue created in the TD repository that has all the information needed to start working on the discussions to design the feature. This means that the TD TF is not required to contact the people involved in the creation of the use case and requirement and that no other document but the issue is required to create the feature
        • 2. The person to contact who is interested in implementing it in a WoT implementation (Thing or Consumer). If the feature is needed by TD TF participants, this can be omitted by putting the TF participant as the contact. This is important so that we do not work on features that no one is interested in implementing, ending up removed after testing for the implementation report. (+1 from Cris)
      • Luca:
        • 1. So that we do not lose something. E.g. there is a whole application area due to a missing feature.
        • 2. From a Marketing POV: People who are looking for a problem can find the solution to their problem. -> That implies that from use cases and requirements we point to the features (UC -> req -> feature)
    • Users or Implementors of TD (and WoT)
      • This stakeholder group should be clarified. E.g. do we mean developers, architects, end user (non technical person), etc.
      • Ege: Identify a similar use case to theirs and get more context about a specific feature.
      • Luca: There should be no need to go to use cases document to understand something. If that happens, our spec is not clear enough. For a more advanced user, we can show a way to submit a UC if they find a gap in the respective chapter of the spec. This will help us get more specific input. This can be guided via an issue template.
  4. Geolocation Requirements: Needs input from Michael Lagally

January 31 and February 1, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: TBD

TD

  1. Versioning Discussion (to be done Thursday 08 Feb with McCool)
  2. DONE: Toolchain improvements. Small presentation from Mahda with initial analysis results.
  3. Scripting API issues that are dependent on TD: https://github.com/w3c/wot-scripting-api/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Await-for-td
  4. Wrong SHACL errors: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/1345

Binding Templates

  1. Merged Editorial PRs: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+label%3AEditorial+sort%3Aupdated-desc
  2. Registry Analysis
  3. TO BE TRACKED VIA USE CASES TF: Reviews of the individual bindings to extract use cases
    • Extracting missing mechanisms and documenting them
      • Missing op mappings that are possible
      • Missing protocol mechanisms (e.g. can we do message pattern X of protocol Y in the binding Y?)
        • Asking for more input from experts can help
        • CA: An example would be the request-response pattern in MQTT. If we can not do it, it should be a use case. If we can, it is a lack of documentation, thus a simple issue.
        • MQTT: HiveMQ
        • CoAP: Jan Romann knows people. We can also ask Klaus Hartke from Siemens
        • HTTP: Needs people but the WG is quite knowledgeable in general
        • Websocket: Needs people
        • SSE: Needs people
        • Modbus: We got a lot of input already but can be double-checked
        • BACnet: Quite recent, needs more time

Management

  1. Reorganization of Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md
    • We need to wait for the use cases TF for anything UC-relevant. Should we start this for other items, e.g. tooling, binding mechanism moving to TD etc.?
      • This relates to the reorganization item above since we need to put work items into order

Use Case Discussion

  1. What to do here, what to do in Use Cases TF:
  2. Also see https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/261
  3. Expectations of stakeholders from the use case TF and the use case process:
    • TD TF Participants (first priority)
      • Ege:
        • 1. An issue created in the TD repository that has all the information needed to start working on the discussions to design the feature. This means that the TD TF is not required to contact the people involved in the creation of the use case and requirement and that no other document but the issue is required to create the feature
        • 2. The person to contact who is interested in implementing it in a WoT implementation (Thing or Consumer). If the feature is needed by TD TF participants, this can be omitted by putting the TF participant as the contact. This is important so that we do not work on features that no one is interested in implementing, ending up removed after testing for the implementation report. (+1 from Cris)
    • Users of TD (and WoT)
      • Ege: Identify similar use case to theirs and get more context about a specific feature.
  4. DONE: Ege to create labels that match the work item categories

January 24 and 25, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Note: Wednesdays start with TD topics and Thursdays start with Binding Templates topics. The other topics will be allocated dynamically based on time left. We will strikethrough discussed topics.

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: TBD

WoT Resources and TD 1.1

  1. https://github.com/w3c/wot-resources/pull/19

TD

  1. Data Mapping: https://github.com/w3c/wot/pull/1165
  2. Formatting before starting work: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/1926
  3. Versioning Discussion (to be done Thursday with McCool): https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/1166

Binding Templates

  1. Merged Editorial PRs: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+label%3AEditorial+sort%3Aupdated-desc
  2. Registry Analysis
  3. Reviews of the individual bindings,
    • Extracting missing mechanisms and documenting them
      • Missing op mappings that are possible
      • Missing protocol mechanisms (e.g. can we do message pattern X of protocol Y in the binding Y?)
        • Asking for more input from experts can help
        • CA: An example would be the request-response pattern in MQTT. If we can not do it, it should be a use case. If we can, it is a lack of documentation, thus a simple issue.
        • MQTT: HiveMQ
        • CoAP: Jan Romann knows people. We can also ask Klaus Hartke from Siemens
        • HTTP: Needs people but the WG is quite knowledgeable in general
        • Websocket: Needs people
        • SSE: Needs people
        • Modbus: We got a lot of input already but can be double-checked
        • BACnet: Quite recent, needs more time

Management

  1. Reorganization of Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

Use Case Discussion

  1. What to do here, what to do in Use Cases TF:
    • We do issue labeling here first.
  2. Also see https://github.com/w3c/wot-usecases/issues/261
  3. Splitting issues to find "promising use cases"?
    • They label issues that have use case like content with "Needs use case" label. The issues that do not get the label are probably one of the following:
      • Tooling: probably already has Tooling label, please add it otherwise.
      • Internal work: Example 1, Example 2. You should use the appropriate label or note the issue number for a quick discussion in the next calls.
      • Fixing something simple: Example 1, Example 2. You should use the appropriate label or note the issue number for a quick discussion in the next calls.
      • Unclear issues: In this case, use "Not Clear" label.
    • They evaluate the relevance of the issue to the charter. E.g. use cases that are more theoretical are lower prioritized, use cases with real application behind are higher prioritized.
      • First of all, "Needs use case" label should be present.
      • If another TF has raised it, use "Needed by other TF" label.
      • If you are not sure about the relevance to the charter, use "Relevance Unclear" label. If the group agrees, we will remove the "Defer to TD 2.0" label.
      • If you think they are relevant for the charter, make sure that they have "Defer to TD 2.0" label.
      • In the end, we will provide Use Case or User Story descriptions for the issues that have "Needs use case" and "Defer to TD 2.0" label.
    • Call participants on the 24.01 are to be considered.
    • We should look into Binding and TD repositories.
      • Together there are 268 issues. We are about 9 or 10 participants
      • We can give about 25 issues per TF participant. We should ask if they prefer TD or Binding issues first of all. Then split:
        • We cannot say issues with number 25 to 50 belongs to person X. There may be no issue 26 since that can be a PR or it is an already closed issue.
        • There are, luckily, 25 issues per page, except for the last page. So one page per participant makes sense but we should note down the issue range since a new issue will push all other issues by one.

January 17 and 18, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Note: Wednesdays start with TD topics and Thursdays start with Binding Templates topics. The other topics will be allocated dynamically based on time left.

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week:
  4. Regrets: TBD
  5. Should we cancel February 14 and 15 meetings? TF: No need to cancel so far.

WoT Resources and TD 1.1

  1. Static Ontology files: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/1940 related to ontology fixes: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1952
  2. Tooling Description: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1933

TD

  1. Assertion ID Alignment: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1945
  2. Data Mapping: https://github.com/w3c/wot/pull/1165
  3. Formatting before starting work: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/1926

Binding Templates

  1. Merged Editorial PRs: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+label%3AEditorial+sort%3Aupdated-desc
  2. Registry Analysis
  3. Reviews of the individual bindings,
    • Extracting missing mechanisms and documenting them
      • Missing op mappings that are possible
      • Missing protocol mechanisms (e.g. can we do message pattern X of protocol Y in the binding Y?)
        • Asking for more input from experts can help
        • CA: An example would be the request response pattern in MQTT. If we can not do it, it should be a use case. If we can, it is a lack of documentation, thus a simple issue.
        • MQTT: HiveMQ
        • CoAP: Jan Romann knows people. We can also ask Klaus Hartke from Siemens
        • HTTP: Needs people but the WG is quite knowledgable in general
        • Websocket: Needs people
        • SSE: Needs people
        • Modbus: We got a lot of input already but can be double checked
        • BACnet: Quite recent, needs more time

Management

  1. Reorganization of Work Items: https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/work-items.md
  2. Project Management Proposal: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/proposals/project-management/project-management.md

Use Case Discussion

  1. What to do here, what to do in Use Cases TF
  2. Data Mapping
    • Issues/Discussion in BACnet, Modbus, recently Profinet. Relevant discussions before in LWM2M or Philips Hue.
    • Proposal: Start work on this by gathering all the relevant existing inputs into the https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/td-next-work-items/usability-and-design.md#data-schema-mapping and then move it to the new use cases workflow.
    • Notes:
      • Analyze PACK (or similar) mechanisms found in programming languages such as Python.
      • We need to differentiate serialization with concrete packing mechanisms and those that dont. So paying attention to contentType and contentCoding is needed.
    • Luca B. will do the first PR on this (not to TD spec but to wot repo) and people can comment with any missing discussion so far.
    • There can be proposals but no PRs to change spec at this point
  3. Use Case Analysis and Requirement Extraction Workflow
  4. Backtracking some additions in TD 1.1 and 1.0:
    • User Story is something written like a user.
      • As User X, I want to ABC so I can achieve XYZ
      • It should be specific to WoT (e.g. I want to monitor my trucks so I can have less maintenance costs is not good)
      • We can specify types of users (personas)
    • Thing Models
      • Use Case: Managing/Representing a set of instantiations of the same model of a device. Correlating (search) in a collection of TDs that represent the same model of the device.
      • User Story: TBD
      • Requirement: One file to represent a model of the device
      • Feature: Thing Model mechanism
    • Extension/Submodel in Thing Models
      • Use Case: Reusability. Consistent affordance definition for reuse, e.g. of temperature.
      • Requirement: Reuse of existing definitions found in Thing Models
      • Feature: tm:submodel, tm:extends etc.
    • synchronous word in actions
      • Use Case: Interacting with two robots that behave slightly differently (one replying rightaway and moving, other moving and then replying)
      • User Story: TBD
      • Requirement: A keyword should indicate this behavior
      • Feature: "synchronous" keyword with boolean type

January 11, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational (5 mins)

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above.
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week: None
  4. Regrets: TBD
  5. Should we cancel February 14 and 15 meetings? TF: No need to cancel so far.

Binding Templates

  1. Merged Editorial PRs: https://github.com/w3c/wot-binding-templates/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+label%3AEditorial+sort%3Aupdated-desc
  2. Starting with Data Mapping topic by gathering use cases from protocols?
    • Issues/Discussion in BACnet, Modbus, recently Profinet. Relevant discussions before in LWM2M or Philips Hue.
    • Proposal: Start work on this by gathering all the relevant existing inputs into the https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/planning/ThingDescription/td-next-work-items/usability-and-design.md#data-schema-mapping and then move it to the new use cases workflow.
    • Notes:
      • Analyze PACK (or similar) mechanisms found in programming languages such as Python.
      • We need to differentiate serialization with concrete packing mechanisms and those that dont. So paying attention to contentType and contentCoding is needed.
    • Luca B. will do the first PR on this (not to TD spec but to wot repo) and people can comment with any missing discussion so far.
  3. Registry Analysis: Work is documented at https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/main/registry-analysis/Readme.md

TD

  1. TM.html and .svg: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1935
  2. Deleting td.js: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1949
  3. Updating robots.txt: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1950
  4. Deleting tag review and documenting it: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1953
  5. Formatting before starting work: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/1926
  6. Assertion ID Alignment: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1945
  7. Reporting on WebAgents CG on Manageable Affordances

January 10, 2024

Chairs: Michael Koster, Ege Korkan

Organizational

  1. Scribe: Pick a scribe from the list above
  2. Agenda Review
  3. Draft minutes of last week: https://www.w3.org/2023/12/20-wot-td-minutes.html (reviewed by Ege and Koster)
  4. New TD Call Slot:
  5. Wiki Organization: Archived everything from 2023 and older.
  6. Regrets: TBD

WoT Resources and TD 1.1

  1. TM.html and .svg: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1935
  2. Versioning: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1951
  3. Static dates: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/1940 related to ontology fixes: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1952

TD

  1. What to do with https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/blob/main/tag-review.html ? -> Add a mention in Readme and delete it. Provide link to a git version
  2. PLANNING.md deletion: https://github.com/w3c/wot/pull/1163 together with https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1948
  3. Management
  4. Project Management: TBD
  5. Tooling and under-the-hood work
  6. Tooling Description: https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/1933
  7. Analyses:
  8. Use Case Analysis and Requirement Extraction
  9. Backtracking some additions in TD 1.1:
    • User Story is something written like a user.
      • As User X, I want to ABC so I can achieve XYZ
      • It should be specific to WoT (e.g. I want to monitor my trucks so I can have less maintenance costs is not good)
      • We can specify types of users (personas)
    • Thing Models
      • Use Case: Managing/Representing a set of instantiations of the same model of a device. Correlating (search) in a collection of TDs that represent the same model of the device.
      • User Story: TBD
      • Requirement: One file to represent a model of the device
      • Feature: Thing Model mechanism
    • Extension/Submodel in Thing Models
      • Use Case: Reusability. Consistent affordance definition for reuse, e.g. of temperature.
      • Requirement: Reuse of existing definitions found in Thing Models
      • Feature: tm:submodel, tm:extends etc.
    • synchronous word in actions
      • Use Case: Interacting with two robots that behave slightly differently (one replying rightaway and moving, other moving and then replying)
      • User Story: TBD
      • Requirement: A keyword should indicate this behavior
      • Feature: "synchronous" keyword with boolean type

Agenda Archives

  1. 2023: https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/WG_WoT_Thing_Description_WebConf/2023
  2. 2022: https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/WG_WoT_Thing_Description_WebConf/2022
  3. 2021: https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/WG_WoT_Thing_Description_WebConf/2021
  4. 2020: https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/WG_WoT_Thing_Description_WebConf/2020
  5. 2019: https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/WG_WoT_Thing_Description_WebConf/2019