Main WoT WebConf

From Web of Things Interest Group
Jump to: navigation, search

The Main WoT Web Conference is for discussing general WoT IG and WG topics and logistics, and to provide an opportunity to summarize and coordinate the activities of the various task forces. For information on individual task forces, please see the WoT Web Page or follow the links below to the individual task force Wiki pages.

Contents

WebConf Information

Call Logistics

Please check times carefully in your timezone. Daylight Savings time started in the US on March 13. All meetings are set in W3C relative US Eastern time. On March 27, most places in Europe will also start Daylight savings. Therefore in Europe and in places without daylight savings, times for meetings will shift around these dates.

Time

Wednesdays at

  • 8am US Eastern
  • 5am US Pacific
  • 1pm GMT (and UTC, for now)
  • 2pm Central Europe
  • 10pm Japan

WebEx


Note: To avoid a repetition of fraudulent calls, the ICS files, host codes and meeting passwords should not be shared on the public list or a public wiki or other web page, e.g. in the agenda or minutes.

IRC

The IRC is used for the minutes, speaker queue, and sharing links etc.

Schedule

Deliverable and F2F Meeting Plan

The schedule is under discussion; please see the draft in the wot repo.

Special Meetings to Discuss Next Charter

  • Dates: Jan 16-18
    • Monday Jan 16: 8am-9am Eastern; logistics TBD
    • Tuesday Jan 17: 8am-9am Eastern; logistics TBD
    • Wednesday Jan 18: 8am-10am Eastern; logistics TBD
    • Thursday Jan 19: 8am-10am Eastern (tentative); logistics TBD

Upcoming Publication Moratoriums

  • None currently

Events

Past


Upcoming

  • TBD

Useful resources

Ongoing Items

Ongoing Action Items

Publication

Wide Review
Communications
Done
Mostly Done
  • TD: TAG: still under review, TAG has done first pass, "largely happy", but want to re-review after seeing Architecture
In Progress
Drafts
To Do
  • Clean up and label issues (all repos)
Explainers

NECESSARY for wide review process. Would be good to link them together.

Process

Resources

  • Tools for W3C Spec Work
  • Useful material for process, minute-taking IRC setup, wide review, etc.
  • Any comments or requests for improvement?

Editors

  • Ongoing topics to discuss in Editor's call:
    • Terminology discussion
    • Document consistency check between Architecture and other specs (Scripting, Discovery)
    • Draft implementation reports
    • Schedule review

Use Case Review

Collaborations

Status of collaborations with Other W3C Groups.

WoT CG

WoT Japanese CG

Spatial Data on the Web IG

  • Ontology needed for geolocation data for use with WoT
  • Overlap with some external liaisons, e.g. with OGC, OpenAR, IEEE
  • Joint discussion with the Spatial Data on the Web WG (SDW-WG) on Jun 23 - draft minutes
    • joint call during TPAC not possible, instead want online meeting
    • We need to define next-charter deliverables, e.g. geolocation ontologies, discovery extensions, etc.
    • Next joint meeting on July 21 during the SDW call

Accessibility IG

  • To Do: Update/Add Use Cases and Requirements

Charters

WG Rechartering

  • AFTER the 12mo extension
  • Draft WG Charter for the next period, 2022
  • To do: update draft based on latest template for 2023
  • To do: update deliverables, calendar, etc.
  • See https://github.com/w3c/wot/issues/978
  • Need to finalize and submit the new WG charter a few months before the end of the extended charter
  • Planned meetings Jan 16-18 to finalize new draft
    • Monday Jan 16: 8am-9am Eastern
    • Tuesday Jan 17: 8am-9am Eastern
    • Wednesday Jan 18: 8am-10am Eastern
  • should consider a common model for IoT security as well as data model and protocol

Liaisons

Status of engagements with external standards organizations.

OPC UA

ITU-T SG20

  • Next steps
    • ITU-T wants to "... focus on ontologies, digital twin and AI related aspects in the smart city context."
    • Plan to develop a document on a new smart cities ontology as an initial step.
    • Gyu Myoung Lee shared slides from WF-IoT
    • Next SG20 mtg is 19-28 July 2022; need further followup before then
    • We have proposed Gyu Myoung Lee joining a near-future main call for a 15 discussion

ECHONET

  • Next steps:
    • Clearly define concrete use cases and technical requirements for ECHONET/WoT Binding
    • Gap analysis: Identify missing features needed in WoT-next (to be covered in next charter)
    • Initial discussion to be done within the WoT-JP CG while we (WoT-WG/IG) are concentrating on spec finalization.

IEC CDD (Common Data Dictionary)

  • Ontologies for various industries - IEC61360, IEC62656
    • Units are a current topic of discussion, relevant to Profiles
  • Previous contacts with ISO TC184/SC4:
    • need clarification on how to refer to their ontologies from TD
    • some specific examples would be useful
    • parts are also used as upper ontology for ECLASS, so we will pick up a few things if we start with ECLASS
  • New contact with current IEC SC 3D - talking about how to proceed
    • They'd like to start with collaboration with the WoT-JP CG and bring feedback/input to the WoT-WG later.
    • Kaz will join their meeting on July 22 to confirm the next steps.
    • They already have liaison with ISO TC184/SC4 and ECLASS.

ECLASS

  • overlap with IEC discussion (see above)
  • need clarification on how to refer to their ontologies from TD
  • also a question about ECLASS logo on the WoT web page --> we have to ok for doing so
  • an example was given during the F2F that used ECLASS for Thing metadata, but there may be other use cases for interaction annotation; to be discussed

T2TRG/IETF

OneDM

OGC/OpenAR - Geospatial Data

  • Overlap in collaboration with Spatial Data on the Web IG
  • some discussion during the Use Cases call on Jan-25
  • Continue the discussion in Use Cases call

Microsoft DTDL

  • resources
  • Joint discussion with Microsoft DTDL on Tuesday, June 21
    • Minutes
    • Next steps:
      • Another meeting in about month, in UC slot: July 19
      • Agenda:
        • Goal is interconversion
        • need test plugfest project
        • need mapping of features, identification of gaps in our specs (both TD and Discovery), vocabulary

IEEE P2874

Possible

Cancellations and Schedule Updates

  • Use Case call planned for Dec 20
    • W3C Calendar entry - using new WebEx (for IE)
    • Goal: Extract requirements for WG charter discussion
    • Please make PRs: using requirements template, and/or updates to coverage.csv
  • Testfest: Dec 12-15
  • Cancellations during Testfest (at least, should cancel others):
    • Scripting 12 Dec 2022 CANCELLED (tentative, to confirm)
    • Security 12 Dec 2022 CANCELLED
    • Discovery 12 Dec 2022 CANCELLED
    • Marketing 13 Dec 2022 CANCELLED (tentative, to confirm)
    • Profile 14 Dec 2022 CANCELLED
    • Main 14 Dec 2022 NOT CANCELLED
    • Testing 14 Dec 2022 CANCELLED
    • TD 14 Dec 2022 CANCELLED (tentative, to confirm)
    • Architecture 15 Dec 2022 CANCELLED
  • All meetings Cancelled the weeks of Dec 26 and Jan 2
    • Scripting, Security, and Discovery cancelled Jan 9
    • Meetings will generally resume on Tuesday, Jan 10
  • Marketing
    • Now 30m only, starting a half-past the hour
    • Chairs and team contact will generally attend only first meeting each month
    • Note that Jan 9 is a holiday in Japan
  • Next WG Charter Development
    • Special Meeting Series week of Jan 16-20
    • Proposed:
      • Cancel all TF calls during this week
      • Reuse Security (1h), Editor (1h), and Main call/testing slots (2h)
      • 8am-9am Eastern Monday Jan 16 and Tuesday Jan 17, then 8am-10am Eastern Wednesday Jan 18
      • Aim to complete a finalized new WG charter to start May 1
      • Need appropriate pre-work (concrete proposals on deliverables, policy and procedure)
  • Other changes
    • Use Case calls held biweekly but (generally) suspended until TPAC
      • Can reinstate calls on demand if necessary
    • Editors' calls held biweekly (only if necessary) starting after TPAC
      • Now on Tuesdays at 8am Eastern alternating with Use Cases
      • NOTE: Architecture will use the (new) Editor's call slot for the next few weeks!
      • Using Editor's call Webex

Note: Please look in W3C Calendar for updated WebEx invites for Use Cases and Editor's calls. Note that if you see both a canceled meeting and an "active" meeting, it means I had to "uncancel" a meeting by creating a new entry, and the meeting will be held.

Agenda

7 December 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Lagally

30 November 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: any?

Scribe: McCool

23 November 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Ege

16 November 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: McCool, more?

Scribe: Kaz

9 November 2022

cancelled

2 November 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Ege

26 October 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Daniel

19 October 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Michael Lagally

12 October 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Ege

5 October 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: any?

Scribe: McCool

28 September 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Sebastian

31 August 2022

Chair: McCool

Regrets: Sebastian, Koster

Scribe: Lagally

24 August 2022

Chair: McCool

Regrets: Sebastian

Scribe: Koster

17 August 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets:

Scribe: McCool

10 August 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Kaz

3 August 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Daniel

27 July 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: Lagally

Scribe: Sebastian

20 July 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Michael Koster

13 July 2022

Chair: McCool

Regrets: Sebastian

Scribe: Daniel

6 July 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: Lagally

Scribe: Ege

29 June 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: Daniel and Ege

Scribe: McCool

22 June 2022

Chair: McCool

Regrets: Sebastian

Scribe: Lagally

  • Guests, New Members, and Invited Experts
  • Minutes
  • Quick updates
    • Joint discussion with Microsoft DTDL on Tuesday, June 21
      • Minutes
      • Next steps:
        • Another meeting in about month, in UC slot: July 19
        • Agenda:
          • Goal is interconversion
          • need test plugfest project
          • need mapping of features, identification of gaps in our specs (both TD and Discovery), vocabulary
    • Joint discussion with the Spatial Data on the Web WG (SDW-WG)
      • will be done during the SDW-WG meeting on Jun 23 at 13:00 UTC (9:00 EDT, 10:00 ADT, 15:00 CEST, 22:00 JST); joint with OGC
      • About 10m; McCool will present summary
      • joint call during TPAC not possible, instead want online meeting
      • We need to define next-charter deliverables, e.g. geolocation ontologies, discovery extensions, etc.
      • Probably want a working meeting or two prior to TPAC
    • WoT WG Charter review concluded
      • Results: 21 supports; 2 suggestions; 3 abstains
      • The draft Charter will be modified based on the suggestions (need to remove the descriptions of 2.0 specs - Kaz to implement).
      • Kaz will bring the results to the W3C Management so that we can move ahead.
    • Cancellations and updates
  • TPAC 2022
    • 12-16 September, 2022 at Sheraton Wall Centre Vancouver, Canada
    • Doodle to identify good slots for WoT discussions
    • Joint meetings with related groups under discussion
      • Spatial Data on the Web - not at TPAC
      • DID
      • JSON-LD
      • Automotive
    • Registration opens end of June (probably June 30)
    • Please start to book your flights and hotels ASAP
      • Please see the logistics page for the hotel booking information.
      • Early Bird rate – until 31 July: EUR 290 [Rate limited to the 4 first persons of a same company]
      • Remote Early Bird rate – until 31 July: EUR 95 [Rate limited to the 4 first persons of a same company]
    • GitHub repo for TPAC2022-Health-rules
    • Sheraton rules
  • Publications
  • Testing
    • Testfest held on June 6-10
    • current status of the Implementation Reports and features at-risk
    • TODO:
      • Gaps in implementation reports
      • potential at-risk items in CR that we can resolve by PR (see testing/todo.csv)
      • another testfest in July
        • Focus on Profiles
  • Review Charter Extensions and Renewal
    • Items for the next WoT-WG Charter period?
  • Review Liaisons
  • Review Collaborations
  • WoT Web Page: WoT-CG vs WoT-IG Marketing TF
    • Should the CG manage the WoT web page?
    • Github issue, pros and cons.
    • need to clarify which information to be handled by the CG and which by the IG/WG
      • Question 1: Do we want to transfer all the WoT Marketing site to the CG?
      • Question 2: Do we want to handle the CG(s) as part of the consolidated "WoT@W3C Activity" like the " Publishing@W3C Activity"?
      • Call for meeting on 5 July in Marketing call to discuss, come to a consensus, follow up with discussion in main call
  • Review Ongoing Action Items
  • TF Reports
  • AOB?

15 June 2022

Chair: McCool

Regrets: Sebastian

Scribe: Koster

8 June 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: Michael Lagally

Scribe: Kaz

1 June 2022

Chair: McCool

Regrets: Sebastian, Ege, Lagally

Scribe: Koster

25 May 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Daniel

18 May 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: Kaz and JP Members (due to the JP Members meeting)

Scribe: Sebastian

11 May 2022

Chair: McCool

Regrets: Sebastian

Scribe: Lagally

4 May 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Sebastian

27 April 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Sebastian

20 April 2022

Chair: McCool

Regrets: Lagally, Sebastian

Scribe: Daniel

13 April 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: Lagally

Scribe: McCool/Ege

6 April 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Cristiano

30 March 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Daniel

23 March 2022

Chair: McCool

Regrets: Sebastian

Scribe: Lagally

16 March 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Sebastian

  • Guests, New Members, and Invited Experts
  • Minutes
  • Quick updates
    • US Daylight saving has started on 13 March 2022:
      • Plugfest/Testfest on 14-18 March is held at 8-10am EDT. Due to the Daylight Saving time, the time in non-US countries is different from last week. See also timeanddate for the time in your timezone.
      • The calendar on the WoT page ha been also updated accordingly.
    • Cancellation
      • Main call on Mar-16 for just logistics confirmation
      • Testing/Plugfest delayed by one hour on Mar-16
      • All the other TF calls will be cancelled on March-14-18
    • W3C Calendar system
      • People should visit the IG Calendar and the WG Calendar to get the ICS files and add the information to their own personal calendar.
      • Chairs' and Editors' calls now added (but only Chairs and Editors need attend)
    • AB meeting on March 23 about W3C LE at 11am EDT for WoT participants - McCool will register it to the WoT WG/IG calendars
    • Editors' sync-up call on Tuesday
      • Mar-15 call cancelled - next call will be held on Mar-22
      • Topics:
        • Continuing terminology discussion
        • Document consistency check between Architecture and other specs (Scripting, Discovery) to be continued
        • Draft implementation reports
        • Procedure and tools on publishing specs in general - Kaz will give an updated Tutorial like the one 2 years ago - to be discussed on March 22
    • WoT Japanese CG updates?
    • Chairs survey about TPAC 2022
  • Rechartering and Charter Extensions
  • Discuss decision process:
  • Publications
  • Marketing
  • Testing needed prior to CR transition
    • Testfest/Plugfest in progress
    • Planned outcomes:
      • Capture test data
      • Capture implementation descriptions
      • Update draft implementation reports for each deliverable
      • May need to organize another testfest
        • CR transition for Arch and TD are mid-Apr
        • PR transition is planned for mid-May
        • May have at-risk items in CR that we can resolve by PR
        • A final testfest start of May would let us fill gaps
  • Liaisons
    • ITU-T SG20
    • ECHONET
      • Next step: clarification on concrete binding for smart home use cases
    • ISO TC184/SC4
      • IEC CDD (Common Data Dictionary) - ontologies for various industries - IEC61360, IEC62656
      • need clarification on how to refer to their ontologies from TD
      • some specific examples would be useful
      • parts are also used as upper ontology for ECLASS, so we will pick up a few things if we start with ECLASS
    • ECLASS
      • need clarification on how to refer to their ontologies from TD
      • also a question about ECLASS logo on the WoT web page --> we have to ok for doing so
      • an example was given during the F2F that used ECLASS for Thing metadata, but there may be other use cases for interaction annotation; to be discussed
    • OPC UA
      • Sebastian presented the idea of UA Binding for WoT at the OPCF TCB (February 9, 2022)
      • receive positive feedback to setup a joint activity that should result into a W3C Note / OPC UA Companion document (details have to be clarified)
      • waiting for further details from OPCF TCB
    • T2TRG/IETF
    • OneDM
    • SDW/OCG/OpenAR - Geospatial Data
    • Possible
  • TF Reports
  • AOB?

9 March 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: none

Scribe: Sebastian

2 March 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: Sebastian

Scribe: Daniel

23 February 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Zoltan/Kaz

16 February 2022

On deck:

  • ITRF/T2TRG Review/Sync - March 10 - 15m WoT Update
  • TPAC Questionnaire
  • Conexxus - Retail Demo - Node-RED/Hitachi/Intel - May in Tuscon
  • AB Members Restructuring and LE Update
  • Wide Reviews and Tasks, incl Explainers

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: any?

Scribe: McCool

9 February 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Ege

2 February 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: none

Scribe: Lagally

26 January 2022

Chair: Sebastian/McCool

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Daniel

19 January 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Ege

12 January 2022

Chair: McCool/Sebastian

Regrets: any?

Scribe: Cristiano

Repo Management

Renaming Master to Main

See: Renaming the "master" branches to "main" (Member-only)

  • Make sure to update your forks and local copies
  • BEFORE making change in local copies or fork, check in all pending edits/updates
  • Do NOT rebase a fork until you make this change
  • To change in forks, look under Settings/Branches and change "master" to "main"
  • For local copies...
  • Simple way: delete and reclone
  • Alternatively, for local direct clones of the w3c repo
      1. git branch -m master main
      2. git fetch origin
      3. git branch -u origin/main main
  • See above link for instructions

You can understand what this does better by reading the git branch docs.

Here -m "moves" the branch (renaming master to main locally, basically) and -u associates a remote "upstream" branch with a local branch, so that git pull does the right thing (for instance). Note this means that you MUST update the remote first before trying to update your local copies. If you have other remotes you don't have to do anything, just either use the new branch name explicitly (e.g. git fetch upstream; git merge upstream/main) or make sure the upstream repo has renamed master to main if you want fetch and merge corresponding branches in one step using git pull upstream. Here upstream is the name that I (McCool) use for a remote pointing at the w3c repo in MY setup. I cloned my original local copies from my own fork on github, so I have origin pointing at my own fork. I then used git remote add upstream https://github.com/w3c/wot-testing to add an additional remote called upstream pointed at the corresponding W3C repo I can use for rebasing, etc. I do PRs by pushing up changes to my own fork, then doing PRs to the W3C repos from there using the web interface. See above link for more instructions.

Past Content