From W3C Wiki
Photo of the W3C Social Web Working Group taken at Face to Face Meeting, 2015-03-18 at MIT.

Social Web WG Face to Face Meeting at MIT (F2F2)

The Social Web Working Group's second face to face meeting is in MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA on and .

Canonical URL
Additional URLs
IRC Logs


The meeting will be held at

Ray and Maria Stata Center, MIT
Building 32
32 Vassar Street
Cambridge, MA 02139

The meeting room 32-D463 ("Star")

Food throughout the day will be provided, courtesy of QCRI.

Additional beverages and food are available for sale in the café on the ground floor of the building and nearby. There is a small Starbucks counter and a cafeteria on the first floor of the Gates tower (around the corner from the ATM machines in the Stata Center lobby near the information center). There will be wireless Internet access.

A few notes about the building

The Stata Center can be a bit confusing as there are two towers: Gates and Dreyfoos, each with its own bank of elevators. Although this meeting is in D463 (in the D (Dreyfoos) tower), because of the layout of the fourth floor, you can use either set of elevators. D463 is just off the large dining area in the center of the building, and there are signs for 32-D463 in many places. See the 4th floor map or if you really want: video of walking from Main & Vassar.

The building is on an automatic locking system. Doors to the elevator foyers on the 4th floor will be open during the workday but the stairwells automatically lock at 5pm (with the only unlocked exit door on the first floor).

Please be careful of your belongings even when stepping away even for a short while. The building is open to the public and there have, unfortunately, been thefts.

How to get to the Stata Center

The MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) is located at the northeastern edge of the MIT campus on Vassar Street near the intersection with Main Street.

Boston Logan International Airport is the closest international airport to MIT. The travel time between the airport and hotels in Cambridge will vary between 30 minutes to one hour depending on traffic conditions. Taxis from the airport are plentiful and fares will range around $30-40.

The Stata Center is located a few blocks away from the MBTA Red line Kendall/MIT stop (directions). We strongly suggest that visitors use public transportation. Alternately, several of the the hotels provide shuttle service to MIT. Information on parking is located below.


The MIT Parking and Transportation Office does not offer pay lots for visitors. They note: "Because the number of visitor parking spaces on campus is limited, it may not be possible to accommodate every visitor who wishes to park at MIT.... We strongly recommend using public transportation when visiting the MIT campus." There is hourly on-street parking available around the Stata Center though Cambridge is a busy area and parking may be difficult to find, especially in inclement weather.

Information on paid parking lots near campus can be found on MIT's parking site.


MIT also has a list of nearby hotels.


Boston has received a fair bit of snow and cold temperatures should still be expected (see the local weather forecast) so please remember to bring warm clothes - boots, hats, gloves and a coat are appropriate for the outside and extra layers would be good to have inside the building.


Participation is limited to Working Group Members (including invited experts). If you wish to attend please join the Social Web WG (per How to participate), or contact a chair on IRC #social for observer consideration.

  1. Tantek Çelik (chair, pesceterian and low carb)
  2. Evan Prodromou (chair)
  3. Amy Guy (vegan)
  4. Ann Bassetti
  5. Aaron Parecki (vegetarian and low-carb)
  6. Jessica Tallon
  7. Christopher Webber
  8. Ben Roberts
  9. Sandro Hawke
  10. Arnaud Le Hors (chair)
  11. Adam Boyet
  12. Harry Halpin
  13. Matt Lee

Invited Observers

  1. Randall Leeds (Annotations WG, eat all the things)
  2. Benjamin Young (Annotations WG)
  3. Frederick Hirsch (Annotations WG, eat all the things)

Consider also signing up to participate in IndieWebCamp on Thursday and Friday immediately following the Social Web WG f2f. Many of us are attending both.

Remote Participation

People who cannot attend the meeting should be able to participate via phone. It is expected that the meeting room will have a phone and we will be using IRC like on any weekly calls (#social).

It would be useful to have a list of people who plan to participate in such a way so we can request an appropriate amount of telephone ports. Please, add your name to this list:

  1. elf Pavlik
  2. Bill Looby (talk)
  3. Andreas Kuckartz (talk)
  4. Henry Story (talk)
  5. James Snell
  6. Ben Werdmuller

We use:


  • dedicated computer
  • dedicated screens
    1. participants webcams
    2. participants demos / slides
  • loudspeakers
  • appropriate microphone


Group members who don't plan to participate may note their regrets here:

  1. Erik Wilde

Goals for the meeting

  • Determine steps to get Activity Streams 2.0 CR.
  • Determine steps to get Social API FPWD.
  • Determine steps to get Federation Protocol FPWD.
  • Determine whether IG is on track to provide needed use cases and requirements
  • Determine next Face to Face meeting candidate location and dates
  • Close as many Open Issues as possible


Being edited. The times and general subject areas are largely set - please do not edit them directly but instead make suggestions in the "Additional Items" section below.

If you have items specific to the general subject areas, feel free to add them as list items inline under that subject area, and the chairs will help prioritize them with f2f participants.

Day 1 - Tuesday 17 March 2015

Settling down + breakfast.
Welcome & logistics
Recap of meeting goals
Agenda (re)prioritization by attendees (items to keep / postpone)
Activity Streams 2.0
  • Discuss how to get AS2 to CR, tests, conformance, behaviors
  • Next steps on ISSUE-8 Test suite for activity streams 2.0
Activity Streams 2.0 continues
Activity Streams 2.0 continues
  • Discuss whether to keep discussing some AS items (e.g. JSON-LD issue)
  • Decide ISSUE-21 Role of JSON-LD and RDF [1] with Web Annotation WG members — Pavlik elf (talk) 13:17, 5 March 2015 (UTC) and Frederick / Annotations
    • ISSUE-7 Are AS consumers required to understand the pre-JSON-LD syntax?
    • github#52 New media type or application/ld+json plus profile
  • ISSUE-4 Do we rely on explicit typing or support implicit typing based on explicit property names? - Evan
    • ACTION-35 Come up with a simple proposal for implicit typing based on property names
Social Web API
Social Web API continues

Day 1 recap, adjustments to agenda for day 2, dinner plans
WG Dinner? Pending dinner.
St. Patrick's Day, Boston, Irish style. JJ Foleys, Kingston St, Boston -- take the Red Line to downtown crossing. No food coloring or anything weird!

Day 2 - Wednesday 18 March 2015

Telcon / remote participation setup / debugging
Relationship of user stories to Social Interest Group Harry Halpin
Next F2F meetings: possible locations, dates, host

Federation Protocol
More demos of API & Federation Candidates showing User Stories on people's actual decentralized (personal) social web sites to help continue discussion of API & Federation Candidates. One line per tool (client of server) you plan to demo.
  • Cross-media-type discussion - Sandro
any other agenda building from the below and any other "Additional Topics" people in the meeting propose
No-host dinner proposal: Veggie Galaxy (a diner around the corner)

Additional Items

Attendees, please add suggested items to this list below (rather than editing the TBD sections) and the chairs will help discuss what to add when.

Postponed items:

Proposed discussion items

  • Discuss ISSUE-14 (as:Link) and ACTION-42 (MediaObject) — Pavlik elf (talk) 12:53, 5 March 2015 (UTC))
  • Collections - how to model them and what we can reuse? — Pavlik elf (talk) 12:35, 15 March 2015 (UTC)
    • ACTION-44 Collection - compare AS2 design with LDP, Hydra, etc.
    • ISSUE-20 Represent Collections using JSON Text Sequences (RFC 7464)
  • ISSUE-16 better separate grammar/vocabulary and improved spec structure — Pavlik elf (talk) 10:10, 15 March 2015 (UTC)
  • Strategy for ISSUE-17 Identity, Agent, Person, Persona, Account etc. need clarifications — Pavlik elf (talk) 10:49, 15 March 2015 (UTC)
  • Discuss implicit knowledge / inferencePavlik elf (talk) 11:48, 11 March 2015 (UTC)
    • ISSUE-12 Action Types Structure and Processing Model
    • ACTION-43 propose *lightweight* inference based on RDFa Vocabulary Expansion
  • ...

Related Events

Thursday 19 March 2015

IndieWebCamp Cambridge 2015 day 1, also at MIT.

Friday 20 March 2015

IndieWebCamp Cambridge 2015 day 2, also at MIT.