There is extensive work done in prior years that is important reference material explaining why design decisions in Silver were made. These links, including the links to the Silver Research project are here.
Silver Design Plan
- Goals for Designing Silver
- Design Plan for Silver
- Major Milestones for Silver
- 2019 Project Plan to start writing content and refining conformance
The Silver Research on the structure of Silver is complete. We have not started active research projects on the content of Silver, although research projects are welcome.
Silver Research Archive - links to Research Results, original research questions, lists of projects, and planning materials
Silver Design Sprint
- Problem Statements for the Design Sprint which were drawn up from the Silver Research project.
- Report of the CSUN Design Sprint. All the details and materials from the Design Sprint.
- Design Sprint Report Suggestions - Findings section of the Design Sprint report.
- Design Sprint Participants
- Silver Requirements draft (due to a bug in a W3C bot, it may not have the correct date)
This is a dense section with many different documents and proposals. Since we have largely completed the prototype work, this has been moved to the archive to keep the main page manageable.
- Information Architecture Archive
- Plain Language Archive
- Meaningful Involvement Archive
- View of Silver as a W3C Editor's Draft. This is a early mock-up and is not based on live data. Editor's Draft sent with the charter. This may or may not be identical to the prototype and needs to be diff analyzed.
September 2021 - The group is preparing to publish the Q3 2021 Working Draft. The new material in the working draft will include:
- User Generated Content Conformance section and glossary definition. This improves the accessibility of user generated content by requiring platforms hosting user generated content to:
- identify the user generated content,
- identify the steps taken to improve accessibility of user generated content, and
- meet new outcomes for third party content specific to guidelines (for example, provide a mechanism for users to enter alternative text for images). The example of the new outcome was not approved by AGWG for publishing, but can be viewed in the editors draft.
- Platforms that meet these requirements can claim conformance for user generated content.
- Reduce the ambiguity in testing with revised tabs and content sections in Methods and Tests. This is the result of joint work with the Accessible Conformance Testing (ACT) Task Force. The complete example is Decorative Images. All the existing Methods are moving to the new format, but the groups responsible for the content have not had the opportunity yet to update the material, so other Methods will have "To be done" sections. We expect it to be completed in a future draft.
- WCAG3 Explainer first draft. This moves much of the explanatory material from WCAG3 into a separate document to improve usability.
- Error Prevention - new guideline that illustrates a migration of WCAG 2.1 success criterion based on analysis of user needs. This was not approved by AGWG for publishing in a Working Draft, but can be viewed in the Editor's Draft.
- [ New Methods for Text Alternatives]. This was not approved for publishing in a Working Draft, but can be viewed in the Editor's Draft.
The group has begun work on the next draft and plans to refine the prior topics and address these additional topics:
- Reduce ambiguity in Outcomes - Joint ACT group
- Third party media content - Exploring Conformance Solutions
- Protocols - Protocols
- Scoring - Joint Silver and & AGWG
- WCAG 2.2 Content Migration Plan - Silver Task Force drafts at: User Needs vs Functional Needs Mapping and WCAG 2.2 Migration Outline Map
- Maturity Model - Maturity Modeling
- Error Notification Guideline - Errors
A Project Plan for Conformance is comprehensive plan with milestones to address the broad topic of Conformance.
Q4 2022 Proposals (post TPAC)
Q3 2022 Subgroup Presentations for TPAC
- Architecture and Shared Vocabulary - 30 August 2022
- Accessibility Supported subgroup presentation - 23 August 2022
- Issue Severity subgroup presentation - 23 August 2022
- Test Types & Terminology subgroup presentation - 26 August 2022 (Silver meeting)
- Equity subgroup presentation - 26 August 2022 (Silver meeting)
- Parking Lot - ideas from TPAC to be preserved.
- Summary of conversations and decisions at TPAC 2022
Testing the Conformance Model
- Evaluation of WCAG3 FPWD Conformance - draft from Conformance Architecture Testing subgroup
- Metrics and Plan for Evaluating a Scoring Proposal - October 2020
- Testing WCAG3 - presentation of the metrics paper
- Conformance Validity Testing Example - uses the customized error pages for the Escape Room to demonstrate a scoring example]
- Example Scoring spreadsheet
- Path Example - July 2020
- List of Functional Outcomes - July 2020
- Summary of May - June Conformance proposal
- Framework Scoring Experiment 4
- Framework Scoring Experiment
- Conformance Architecture Testing - wiki page
- Conformance Architecture Google Drive Folder
Q1 2022 Proposals
- Initial ATAG and UAAG Integration - exploration of core issues and possible solutions]
Q3 2021 Proposals
- Proposal for a matrix of Outcomes as a result of Functional Needs and disability categories - from Jake Abma
- An Alternative Scoring Model for WCAG3
- WCAG3.0: Programmatic Language - a proposal for Outcome structure
- WCAG3 Methods Method Format update with ACT for Alternative Text for Decorative Images
- WCAG3 Outcome proposal with ACT for Decorative Images
Q1-Q2 2021 Proposals
- Proposal on Third Party Content
- Proposal for including ACT definitions with Outcomes
- Proposal for merging WCAG3 Method and ACT Rules
- Issues identified by the Bronze Silver Gold Options - takes the Options and breaks them down by topic that needs to be decided in order to select an option.
- Options for Bronze, Silver, Gold
- Options for WCAG2 AAA Success Criteria
- Proposal - high level thoughts for Silver and Gold levels
- List of test pages for Login Path - mockup pages for testing or examples
- Challenges with Conformance for Large, Complex, and/or Dynamic Websites - Github
- WCAG SC by User Need - spreadsheet by Alastair Campbell sorting SC into user needs. It does not have consensus and is only intended to be helpful, not authoritative.
- Conformance model of JIS X 8341-3:2016 This is a summary of the adaptation of WCAG conformance adopted in Japan.
Silver Guideline Content (Active)
Currently active section. We anticipate content writing to start in Q3 2019 and prioritize migrating existing WCAG 2.1 content throughout Q2 2020
Silver Content Writing Resources
- Draft How to Write Guidelines for Silver - presentation.
- Guideline & How-To Template - In draft with updates from the Content Process. Start a new guideline by making a copy of this document. Please follow the naming and saving instructions. Contact Jeanne & Shawn if you need permissions.
- Writing Testable WCAG 3.0 Outcomes
- Revised Method Template from the work done in Test Reliability group with ACT in Fall 2021.
- Method Template and Example - superceded
- Draft WCAG Style Guide - google doc merging three older documents related to style guide. This is where to go for the little questions on styling, plain language, grammar, and how to decide where to put information.
- Google drive folder with drafts of Silver content
- Making Audio and Video Media Accessible - a new resource from W3C Education and Outreach Working Group
WCAG to Silver Migration
- WCAG to Silver Migration Outline Map (working doc)
Drafts of Other WCAG success criteria to migrate to Silver
We are migrating a few current WCAG 2.1 success criteria to Silver to test our process. See the SubGroups section above for details of active work. Other drafts of the migrated success criteria under development that do not have currently active work are:
- Audio Description draft from AccessU face-to-face (May 2019)
- Pause Stop Hide (from original plain language prototype) is also a midrange difficulty SC, but is very long - First (rough) draft ready
- Language of Environment - adapting 3.1.1 Language of Page - sketched out showing how Methods could be written for user agents, authoring tools, and emerging technologies.
- Sensory Characteristics (from original plain language prototype) is midrange difficultly SC - not started
- Timing (example of merging levels) - not started
Drafts of New Content Proposals from Task Forces and Prototypes
from Cognitive Accessibility Task Force (COGA)
- Clear Language - see Clear Language Subgroup
- Enable APIs
from Low Vision Task Force (LVTF)
- Point of Regard - Original - edits added from LVTF | Silver Draft of Point of Regard - Charles Hall
- Text Spacing - Original | Silver Draft of Text Spacing - not started
from Other Sources
- XR Subgroup
- Locate the User - this came from the Information Architecture prototype testing to test the concept of new guidance that is difficult to test using true/false statements (success criteria). It has sample tests and methods. The idea and some text comes from the Design Patterns for Mental Health website. It was inspired by a blog by Dave Swallow - A web of anxiety: accessibility for people with anxiety and panic disorders.
- List of Supplemental Guidance from Low Vision Task Force wiki
- User Needs Coverage from LVTF Github
Ideas for New Content for Silver
These documents are placeholders for capturing ideas that we don't want to lose. Feel free to add your thoughts.
- Potential Guidelines in Silver
- Disabilities for Inclusion
- WCAG 2.1 success criteria proposals deferred to Silver
- Potential WCAG 2.2 Success Criteria - Issues that relate to new criteria that couldn't make it into WCAG 2.x.
- Low Vision User Requirements
- Customizing and Personalizing Content in Silver - a proposal that has not been discussed by the task force and will be scheduled for discussion after the First Public Working Draft (FPWD) deadline
Silver Guideline Content Archive - documents used to develop individual Silver Guidelines that are no longer current