We had our conference call on the 28th of October, 2015 where we discussed about Accessible India Campaign and how we can support the Government of India by creating awareness on accessibility and assistive technology.
Shilpi Kapoor gave us a detailed information on what is the current status of the Campaign where she mentioned that the Accessible India Campaign mainly focuses on four areas & shared some of the targets set in the strategy paper released by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities:
- Barrier-free Infrastructure
- Barrier-free Transportation
- Accessibility ICT & Websites
- Sign Language Interpreters
The implementation on the ground looks very unclear at this stage and we need to support by working on standards and guidelines, training and suggestions for a public procurement policy.
There was discussion on the accessibility index which the Government will be unveiling on December 3 as a part of the campaign, which will rate companies across public and private sectors for disabled -friendly initiatives. There is a need to add accessible websites, technology, products and services to this index beyond hiring of people with disabilities, infrastructure & hr policies.
Block you calendars for the next sessions:
- Learning Session -2 has been scheduled for the 18th of November 2015 at 10 am – 11 am by Nawaz from PayPal on “Top 10 Accessibility mistakes and why, along with some testing tips”.
- On our next conference call the members have decided to discuss ‘how technology can be a part of the accessibility index by the Accessible India Campaign?’ will be on 9th December, 2015, 10 am – 11 am
Wishing you all a very Happy & Prosperous Diwali and looking forward to see you all in our next learning session. And yes, please ensure to spread a word about these calls so that we can have maximum people participating and contributing.