WAI Interest Group (WAI IG)
Announcements and Meetings
WAI encourages you to implement, promote, and review guidelines and documents; join mailing list discussions; and other ways of participating in WAI.
Documents Under Review by WAI IG
The Highlights section of the WAI home page lists current documents under review by WAI IG.
Currently no WAI IG meetings are scheduled.
Other Working Group Pages
Archives of the WAI Interest Group mailing list are useful for searching for past messages and getting a feel for the list.
Using the WAI Interest Group (IG) mailing list
- E-mail messages should contribute to a comfortable, constructive
exchange of ideas to advance web accessibility. Before you write
an e-mail, think about how it will come across to the hundreds of
people around the world who are on the list.
- Be respectful. Be positive. Be open to different perspectives.
- Provide constructive information. Focus on developing solutions, rather than just complaining.
- Avoid personal attacks, naming calling, and such.
- Explain the issue clearly. Provide sufficient background information.
- Make sure e-mails are related web accessibility and are appropriate
for the WAI IG list.
- If you have questions about whether or not a message is appropriate for the WAI IG list, contact Shawn.
- When your comments are not useful for the entire list, reply off-list — that is, reply directly to the sender and do not send the message to the list.
- No soliciting.
- Formatting messages:
- Use a Subject line that describes the topic well. If you change
topics, change the Subject. This is usually handled as follows:
New Topic XYZ [was: Old Topic]
- Keep your reply comments near the top of a message, and only quote essential parts of a previous message at the top — so there are few quote markings for readers to wade through.
- If you use a vacation auto-responder, exclude responses to mail
with firstname.lastname@example.org in any header.
- Use a Subject line that describes the topic well. If you change topics, change the Subject. This is usually handled as follows:
- Send any questions about the WAI IG mailing list to email@example.com, not to the whole list.
Subscribing to the WAI IG mailing list
- To subscribe to the list, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “subscribe” as the subject.
- To unsubscribe from the list, send e-mail to email@example.com with “unsubscribe” as the subject.
Please note: The subscription e-mail addresses are different from the e-mail address to send an e-mail message, which is in the next section.
To subscribe to the email digest with compiled messages, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “subscribe” as the subject. To unsubscribe from the digest, send e-mail to email@example.com with “unsubscribe” as the subject.
Sending messages to the WAI IG list
To send a message to the list, first subscribe to the list (instructions above), then send your message to firstname.lastname@example.org
The first time you send a message to a public W3C mailing list, you will get a reply e-mail asking if you will give permission for your message to be distributed to the list and thus go into the public archive. There is an option to do this once and then you don’t have to do it again in the future.
About WAI IG
The mission of the WAI Interest
Group (WAI IG) is to provide a
forum for reviewing, discussing, and providing input into deliverables
being developed by WAI Working Groups, including accessibility aspects
of specification reviews, research topics identified during
accessibility reviews, and educational materials development; also for
exploring web accessibility issues and solutions, and sharing
information about web accessibility activities around the world.
The scope of the WAI IG includes:
- reviewing and discussing deliverables being developed by WAI Working Groups
- providing input into specification reviews, research topics, and educational materials development
- exploring web accessibility issues and solutions
- sharing information and exchanging ideas about web accessibility
activities around the world.
Chair and Contacts
- The WAI IG Chair is Katie Haritos-Shea
- The W3C Staff Contacts are Judy Brewer and Shawn Lawton Henry
Past WAI IG Meetings
- March 19, 2005, Los Angeles, California, USA
- March 19, 2004, Los Angeles, California, USA
- March 22, 2003, Los Angeles, California, USA
- March 25, 2002, Los Angeles, California, USA
- November 14, 2001, Melbourne, Australia
- March 24, 2001, Los Angeles, California, USA
- March 25, 2000, Los Angeles, California, USA
- July 19, 1999, Sophia, France
- May 15 1999, Toronto Canada
- March 20, 1999
- July, 1998, Peterborough, UK
- April, 1998, Brisbane, Australia
- March, 1998, Los Angeles, California, USA
- November, 1997, Austin, Texas, USA
- August, 1997, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- May, 1997, Nice, France