Planet MathML

The Planet MathML aggregates posts from various blogs that concern MathML. Although it is hosted by W3C, the content of the individual entries represent only the opinion of their respective authors and does not reflect the position of W3C.

UND April 10, 2014 XML Entity Definitions for Characters (2nd Edition), and ...

Channel: Ask.com News Search for "mathml"

W3C - Found Apr. 10, 2014
Mathematical Markup Language (MathML) Version 3.0 2nd Edition . This specification defines the Mathematical Markup Language, or MathML. MathML...

UND April 10, 2014 Re: Bind and Bvar

Author: David Carlisle (davidc@nag.co.uk) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

On 07/04/2014 06:09, Andrew Robbins wrote:
> bvar allows CommonAtt for both Strict Content and Full Content, ...
> but in the DTD and RNC versions, the bvar element does not allow any
> attributes.

This is fixed in the version of MathML3 published today:

http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/appendixa-d.html#parsing_bvar

Thanks for your report (even though it caused me a few headaches coming
that close to the publication date:-)

David

UND April 10, 2014 New Editions of MathML3 and XML Entities specifications published.

Author: David Carlisle (davidc@nag.co.uk) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives


I am pleased to be able to announce that the W3C have today published

Mathematical Markup Language (MathML) Version 3.0 2nd Edition

and

XML Entity Definitions for Characters (2nd Edition)

at

http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/

and

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-entity-names/

Thanks to everyone who made comments on the previous editions and the 
drafts of these second editions.

David
For the Math Working Group

UND April 10, 2014 (2nd Edition), and Mathematical Markup Language (MathML)

Author: Coralie Mercier | Channel: mathml - Google Blog Search

Mathematical Markup Language (MathML) Version 3.0 2nd Edition. This specification defines the Mathematical Markup Language, or MathML. MathML is a markup language for describing mathematical notation and ...

UND April 08, 2014 MathML is XML; Structured Math Authoring for FrameMaker 12 ...

Author: Maxwell Hoffmann | Channel: mathml - Google Blog Search

We recently hosted a fascinating webinar that focused on FrameMaker 12′s new integration with MathML equation editing via a software editor by Design Science. Autumn Ceullar, of Design Science, gave an excellent ...

UND April 08, 2014 2nd CFP: Web and Mobile Mathematics - Seoul, Korea (Deadline Extended)

Author: Marco Pollanen (marcopollanen@trentu.ca) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to submit abstracts and full papers to a Special Session
on Web and Mobile Mathematical Interfaces as part of The 4th
International Congress on Mathematical Software, a satellite conference
of the International Congress of Mathematicians 2014 in Seoul.

The deadline for submission of a short abstract (200-500 words) is April
30, 2014. This may be followed by an optional full abstract (deadline
May 21, 2014). A decision about acceptance will be made within a week
of submission.  Please e-mail submissions to marcopollanen@trentu.ca or
jeff.hooper@acadiau.ca.

Regards,

Marco Pollanen, Session Co-organizer
Jeff Hooper, Session Co-organizer

==========================

4th International Congress on Mathematical Software
August 5-9, 2014
Seoul, Korea

Session: “Software, design and practice in Web and Mobile Interfaces for
Mathematics”

Organizers:
=========

Marco Pollanen (Trent University, Canada)
marcopollanen@trentu.ca

Jeff Hooper (Acadia University, Canada)
jeff.hooper@acadiau.ca

Aim and Scope:
============

Since the last International Congress on Mathematical Software there has
been rapid technological innovation in human-computer interaction.
Touch-enabled interfaces, mobile devices, cloud computing, and Web 2.0
are changing the way users engage with technology. The aim of this
session is to focus on the mathematical aspects of these: bringing
together researchers, developers and users of mathematical interfaces to
explore how evolving technologies may influence the direction of
mathematical user interface design.

Topics (including, but not limited to):

-usability studies of new or existing interfaces
-novel mathematical interfaces
-digital documents and mathematical content
-user requirements for future interfaces
-interactive and collaborative mathematical environments
-input, presentation and manipulation of mathematical content
-new models for engaging with digital mathematical content
-interface design for mobile and touch-enabled devices

Publications:
=========

- A short abstract will appear on the permanent conference web page (see
below) as soon as accepted.

- An extended abstract will appear on the permanent conference web page
(see below) as soon as accepted. It will also appear on the proceedings
that will be distributed during the meeting.

- A journal special issue consisting of full papers is planned. Details
for submission will be communicated by the session organizers
immediately after the meeting.

Deadlines:
========

Short Abstract submission deadline:    April 30, 2014.
Extended Abstract submission deadline (optional):    May 21, 2014.

More Information:
=============

Submission Guidelines:

http://voronoi.hanyang.ac.kr/icms2014/Submission.html

Session Web page:

http://euclid.trentu.ca/math/marco/ui.html

Conference Web Page:

http://voronoi.hanyang.ac.kr/icms2014/

UND April 07, 2014 MathML markup lost when used with embed or object tags ...

Author: jaakana | Channel: mathml - Google Blog Search

I was using MathML to include some equations in a lesson, and found that when I pair it with embed or object tags for SVG content, the MathML content vanishes when I return to edit the content. The attached image shows ...

UND April 07, 2014 Webinar: MathML is XML - structured editing in Adobe FrameMaker 12 April 8, 2014

Author: Autumn Cuellar | Channel: Design Science News

MFStructureEditor-FM300I've had the opportunity to speak all over the world about the benefits and process of including MathML in your XML publishing workflows, but April 8th I'll be conducting my first webinar on the subject with Adobe. With the recent release of Adobe FrameMaker 12 you can create or edit MathML equations within FrameMaker 12, thanks to native integration with our MathFlow™ Structure and Style editors.

In the webinar I'll be talking about structured math content and where it can be used, the differences between the MathFlow Style and Structure editors, demonstrate how they are used in your structured workflows, and answer questions about MathML and MathFlow.

The webinar is going to be Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM US/Pacific so make sure to register in advance on the Adobe website: http://adobe.ly/1fjFteS

If you want to do any reading in advance, you can check out the MathFlow homepage.

UND April 07, 2014 Design Science News: Webinar: MathML is XML - structured editing ...

Author: Autumn Cuellar | Channel: mathml - Google Blog Search

I've had the opportunity to speak all over the world about the benefits and process of including MathML in your XML publishing workflows, but April 8th I'll be conducting my first webinar on the subject with Adobe. With the ...

UND April 07, 2014 Re: Bind and Bvar

Author: Michael Kohlhase (m.kohlhase@jacobs-university.de) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

Dear David, dear all,

I agree with David's conclusion - grudgingly. But I would like to point
out that the OpenMath compatibility argument is somewhat problematic for
several reasons

  * strict content MathML is an implementation of _OpenMath Objects_ not
    of the XML endocing, so attributes do not even come in here.
  * OpenMath has a single <OMBVAR> element as opposed to multiple
    <bvar>s in strict content MatHML
  * having commonAtt on bvar gives you nothing that you could not do by
    putting them on the variables themselves. So putting the attributes
    on <bvar> gives another problem with canonical representation that
    we do not really want to have. 

But of course, I do not feel that we have much choice but arrive at
David's conclusion.


Michael




On 7.4.14 11:18, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 07/04/2014 06:09, Andrew Robbins wrote:
>> In the human-readable version of MathML3, bvar allows CommonAtt for
>> both Strict Content and Full Content, ... but in the DTD and RNC
>> versions, the bvar element does not allow any attributes.
>>
>> My question is which is wrong? the DTD/RNC? or the text? I would like
>> to be able to use id and class on bvar, but my documents will not
>> validate if I do.
>>
>> Regards, Andrew Robbins
>>
>
>
> Thank you for your message.
>
> The intended usage is as shown in
>
> http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter4-d.html#contm.bvar
>
> with the id on the ci child of bvar
>
> Which matches the text and the schema.
>
> However...
>
> You are correct to report though that the syntax table for bvar lists
> CommonAtt....
>
>
> Strict Content MathML is intended to be an encoding of OpenMath, and the
> OpenMath Schema allows id on the corresponding OMBVAR element.
>
> Also the MathML2 DTD allowed id on bvar.
>
>
> So I think the status is that the normative table is to be assumed
> correct and that CommonAtt are allowed.
>
> Almost all of the schema is mechanically constructed from the tables in
> the spec, but bvar, as the interaction with strict Content MathML is a
> bit tricky, was done by hand....
>
> This is a personal response but I'll fix the schema to add CommanAtt
> unless working group shouts.
>
>
>
> David
>
>

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,        Office: Research 1, Room 168
 Professor of Computer Science  Campus Ring 1, 
 Jacobs University Bremen           D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140  skype: m.kohlhase   
 m.kohlhase@jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase 
----------------------------------------------------------------------



UND April 07, 2014 Re: Bind and Bvar

Author: David Carlisle (davidc@nag.co.uk) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

On 07/04/2014 06:09, Andrew Robbins wrote:
> In the human-readable version of MathML3, bvar allows CommonAtt for
> both Strict Content and Full Content, ... but in the DTD and RNC
> versions, the bvar element does not allow any attributes.
>
> My question is which is wrong? the DTD/RNC? or the text? I would like
> to be able to use id and class on bvar, but my documents will not
> validate if I do.
>
> Regards, Andrew Robbins
>


Thank you for your message.

The intended usage is as shown in

http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter4-d.html#contm.bvar

with the id on the ci child of bvar

Which matches the text and the schema.

However...

You are correct to report though that the syntax table for bvar lists
CommonAtt....


Strict Content MathML is intended to be an encoding of OpenMath, and the
OpenMath Schema allows id on the corresponding OMBVAR element.

Also the MathML2 DTD allowed id on bvar.


So I think the status is that the normative table is to be assumed
correct and that CommonAtt are allowed.

Almost all of the schema is mechanically constructed from the tables in
the spec, but bvar, as the interaction with strict Content MathML is a
bit tricky, was done by hand....

This is a personal response but I'll fix the schema to add CommanAtt
unless working group shouts.



David

UND April 07, 2014 Bind and Bvar

Author: Andrew Robbins (andjrob@gmail.com) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

In the human-readable version of MathML3, bvar allows CommonAtt for both
Strict Content and Full Content, ... but in the DTD and RNC versions, the
bvar element does not allow any attributes.

My question is which is wrong? the DTD/RNC? or the text? I would like to be
able to use id and class on bvar, but my documents will not validate if I
do.

Regards,
Andrew Robbins

UND April 06, 2014 Re: Questions about indentshift

Author: Neil Soiffer (NeilS@dessci.com) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

They aren't the same because indentalign="auto", and MathPlayer (which
generated the image) indents based on the depth in the expression tree at
the point on the alignment. I've attached two images, one with indentalign
equal to  "auto" and one with it equal to "left". With "left", you'll  see
that they are indented the same amount.

As I said in my earlier email, the test would have been clearer if
identalign="left" so auto indenting didn't enter into the mix. I've set the
background to a color in the attached images so you can see the edges.

I hope this is clearer now.


Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~





On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Davide P. Cervone <dpvc@union.edu> wrote:

> Neil:
>
> Thanks for getting back to me on this, but I'm afraid I'm still confused.
>  I wasn't asking about how indentshift relates to indentalign, but on how
> indentshiftfirst relates to indentshift.  A simplified version of the test
> that I cited is
>
> <math indentshift="3em" display="block">
>    <mrow>
>       <mi>a</mi>
>       <mspace linebreak="newline" />
>       <mo>+</mo>
>       <mi>b</mi>
>   </mrow>
> </math>
>
> Here, indentshift is 3em, so I understand that the plus sign will be 3em
> to the right of where it would have been if identshift were 0.  My question
> is where should the "a" be placed?  It should be controlled by the value of
> indentshiftfirst, but the default of indentshiftfirst is "inherited
> (indentshift)".  If I understand this right, the value of indentshiftfirst
> should be the value of indentshift, since there is no setting for
> indentshiftfirst.  So the first line should ALSO be 3em to the right of
> indentalign.
>
> So what I expect to see if BOTH the "a" and the "+" indented the SAME
> amount (3em).  But in the image for that test, the second line is 3em
> farther to the right of the position of the first line.  (Unless you mean
> that MathPlayer is using the <mrow> around the whole equation to say that
> the line break is nested, so needs to be indented further.  But that would
> mean that the first line would have to be considered as starting outside
> the <mrow>, which seems a bit of a stretch).
>
> Here is the image from the test:
>
>  [image: Created by: MathPlayer?]
>
> The indent shifts for the lines are set to be 3em for the second, 6em for
> the third, and 9em for the fourth.  There is no extra nesting between the
> 6em and the 9em, so the difference between those lines has to be 3em (not
> an adjustment due to nesting), and that means the first line here really is
> 0em.
>
> I do not see why the first two lines are not at the same indentation.  Can
> you tell me what I am missing?
>
> For the issue with negative indentshiftlast, I missed the
> indentalignlast="right" in the mstyle at the top of the equation.  Sorry.
>  Now it makes sense.
>
> Davide
>
>
> On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:06 AM, Neil Soiffer wrote:
>
> First off, I apologize for the very late response. I try to be responsive
> to requests for information, but between a machine crash, a conference, and
> spring break, it didn't happen this time.
>
> The key to understanding the example is that indentshift is an
> *additional* shift to that specified by the indentalign attribute. That
> attribute defaults to auto, which for MathPlayer (which generated the
> images) indents based on how deeply nested the breakpoint is in the
> expression tree. This gives a visual indication of the grouping of
> expressions. Looking closely at the indentation, I see a bug in the
> algorithm that determines the nesting level, so that doesn't help
> understand the output. This example would have been a better example if it
> had indentalign="left" since it would have made the effect of indentoffset
> clearer.
>
> The image is also confusing because no indentation is shown for the first
> line. That's likely my fault as I probably made a screenshot and just
> selected the rectangular area around what was drawn. Using a debugger, I
> can see MathPlayer really does indent the first line 3em.
>
> A negative value for indentshift shifts the line to the left an
> *additional* amount to that specified by the indentalign attribute; in that
> second example, that means 20pts to the left of the right margin.
>
> Note that MathPlayer (and MathJax?) center block equations, but that is
> not the same as indentalign="center". That attribute would center each
> line. That's not the same as centering the bounding box of the entire
> equation.
>
> I hope that clarifies the examples,
>
> Neil Soiffer
> Senior Scientist
> Design Science, Inc.
> www.dessci.com
> ~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~
>
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Davide P. Cervone <dpvc@union.edu>wrote:
>
>> I was looking at some of the linebreak tests in the MathML3 test suite,
>> and some of them confuse me.  For example,
>>
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/Topics/LineBreak/linebreaking011-indentamount-full.xhtml
>>
>> starts with
>>
>> <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" indentshift="3em"
>> display="block">
>>
>> and has some <mi> and <mo> elements then
>>
>> <mspace linebreak="newline"/>
>>
>> According to
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter3.html#presm.lbindent.attrs
>>
>> the default for indentshiftfirst is indentshift, and since indentshift is
>> set to 3em, it seems to me that the first and second lines both should be
>> indented to 3em.  But the image of the correct rendering shows the first
>> line not indented, while the second line is indented 3em.  What am I
>> missing, here?
>>
>> A second confusion for me is in
>>
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/Topics/LineBreak/linebreaking010-indentshift-full.xhtml
>>
>> where indenshiftlast is set to -20pt.  The image shows the last line
>> right-aligned (with what appears to be about 20pt of space at the right, so
>> it seems that a negative indentshift is supposed to mean indenting from the
>> opposite side from what indentalign specifies?  There is no mention of this
>> in the spec that I can find.  Can someone clarify the intended meaning of
>> negative indents?
>>
>> Finally, the tests seem to assume a default indentalign of left, but the
>> spec indicates that the default is up to the renderer.  MathJax uses
>> centering by default, so the tests "fail".  it might be good if the tests
>> set indent align explicitly.
>>
>> Davide
>>
>
>
>


UND April 05, 2014 Re: Questions about indentshift

Author: David Carlisle (davidc@nag.co.uk) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

On 05/04/2014 21:54, David Carlisle wrote:
> .....

Actually I'm not sure that answer made sense.
Will reply again another day.

David

UND April 05, 2014 Re: Questions about indentshift

Author: David Carlisle (davidc@nag.co.uk) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

On 05/04/2014 20:41, Davide P. Cervone wrote:
> Neil:
>
> Thanks for getting back to me on this, but I'm afraid I'm still
> confused.  I wasn't asking about how indentshift relates to indentalign,
> but on how indentshiftfirst relates to indentshift.  A simplified
> version of the test that I cited is
>
> <math indentshift="3em" display="block">
>     <mrow>
>        <mi>a</mi>
>        <mspace linebreak="newline" />
>        <mo>+</mo>
>        <mi>b</mi>
>    </mrow>
> </math>
>
> Here, indentshift is 3em, so I understand that the plus sign will be 3em
> to the right of where it would have been if identshift were 0.  My
> question is where should the "a" be placed?  It should be controlled by
> the value of indentshiftfirst, but the default of indentshiftfirst is
> "inherited (indentshift)".  If I understand this right, the value of
> indentshiftfirst should be the value of indentshift, since there is no
> setting for indentshiftfirst.  So the first line should ALSO be 3em to
> the right of indentalign.
>
> So what I expect to see if BOTH the "a" and the "+" indented the SAME
> amount (3em).  But in the image for that test, the second line is 3em
> farther to the right of the position of the first line.  (Unless you
> mean that MathPlayer is using the <mrow> around the whole equation to
> say that the line break is nested, so needs to be indented further.  But
> that would mean that the first line would have to be considered as
> starting outside the <mrow>, which seems a bit of a stretch).

I think it's definitely the case that the image is the intended layout, 
your reading would mean the default layout if you had indented layout 
would be the first two lines were aligned which would be odd. On the 
other hand the wording in the spec could be clearer, although as you may 
note if you look at the editor's draft we don't have a lot of time to 
fiddle with the wording in this round...

If you say indentshift=3em then what you are specifying is that line
l is indented by (l-1)*3em.

What (I think) the spec wants to say is that if you specify 
indentshiftfirst or indentshiftlast then it over-rides the above formula 
for the respective lines. So the default value is "do what you would 
have done if only indentshift is set" not "the numerical value of 
indentshift". On the other hand it takes a "careful reading" of the 
current wording to deduce the above interpretation.


But I'd defer to Neil on the linebreaking algorithm, so this is very 
much a personal view.



David

UND April 05, 2014 Re: Questions about indentshift

Author: Davide P. Cervone (dpvc@union.edu) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

Neil:

Thanks for getting back to me on this, but I'm afraid I'm still confused.  I wasn't asking about how indentshift relates to indentalign, but on how indentshiftfirst relates to indentshift.  A simplified version of the test that I cited is

        <math indentshift="3em" display="block">
           <mrow>
              <mi>a</mi>
              <mspace linebreak="newline" />
              <mo>+</mo>
              <mi>b</mi>
          </mrow>
        </math>

Here, indentshift is 3em, so I understand that the plus sign will be 3em to the right of where it would have been if identshift were 0.  My question is where should the "a" be placed?  It should be controlled by the value of indentshiftfirst, but the default of indentshiftfirst is "inherited (indentshift)".  If I understand this right, the value of indentshiftfirst should be the value of indentshift, since there is no setting for indentshiftfirst.  So the first line should ALSO be 3em to the right of indentalign.  

So what I expect to see if BOTH the "a" and the "+" indented the SAME amount (3em).  But in the image for that test, the second line is 3em farther to the right of the position of the first line.  (Unless you mean that MathPlayer is using the <mrow> around the whole equation to say that the line break is nested, so needs to be indented further.  But that would mean that the first line would have to be considered as starting outside the <mrow>, which seems a bit of a stretch).

Here is the image from the test:
 
 

The indent shifts for the lines are set to be 3em for the second, 6em for the third, and 9em for the fourth.  There is no extra nesting between the 6em and the 9em, so the difference between those lines has to be 3em (not an adjustment due to nesting), and that means the first line here really is 0em.

I do not see why the first two lines are not at the same indentation.  Can you tell me what I am missing?

For the issue with negative indentshiftlast, I missed the indentalignlast="right" in the mstyle at the top of the equation.  Sorry.  Now it makes sense.

Davide


On Mar 28, 2014, at 3:06 AM, Neil Soiffer wrote:

> First off, I apologize for the very late response. I try to be responsive to requests for information, but between a machine crash, a conference, and spring break, it didn't happen this time.
> 
> The key to understanding the example is that indentshift is an *additional* shift to that specified by the indentalign attribute. That attribute defaults to auto, which for MathPlayer (which generated the images) indents based on how deeply nested the breakpoint is in the expression tree. This gives a visual indication of the grouping of expressions. Looking closely at the indentation, I see a bug in the algorithm that determines the nesting level, so that doesn't help understand the output. This example would have been a better example if it had indentalign="left" since it would have made the effect of indentoffset clearer.
> 
> The image is also confusing because no indentation is shown for the first line. That's likely my fault as I probably made a screenshot and just selected the rectangular area around what was drawn. Using a debugger, I can see MathPlayer really does indent the first line 3em.
> 
> A negative value for indentshift shifts the line to the left an *additional* amount to that specified by the indentalign attribute; in that second example, that means 20pts to the left of the right margin.
> 
> Note that MathPlayer (and MathJax?) center block equations, but that is not the same as indentalign="center". That attribute would center each line. That's not the same as centering the bounding box of the entire equation.
> 
> I hope that clarifies the examples,
> 
> Neil Soiffer
> Senior Scientist
> Design Science, Inc.
> www.dessci.com
> ~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Davide P. Cervone <dpvc@union.edu> wrote:
> I was looking at some of the linebreak tests in the MathML3 test suite, and some of them confuse me.  For example,
> 
>    http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/Topics/LineBreak/linebreaking011-indentamount-full.xhtml
> 
> starts with 
> 
>    <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" indentshift="3em" display="block">
> 
> and has some <mi> and <mo> elements then 
> 
>    <mspace linebreak="newline"/>
> 
> According to 
> 
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter3.html#presm.lbindent.attrs
> 
> the default for indentshiftfirst is indentshift, and since indentshift is set to 3em, it seems to me that the first and second lines both should be indented to 3em.  But the image of the correct rendering shows the first line not indented, while the second line is indented 3em.  What am I missing, here?
> 
> A second confusion for me is in 
> 
>    http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/Topics/LineBreak/linebreaking010-indentshift-full.xhtml
> 
> where indenshiftlast is set to -20pt.  The image shows the last line right-aligned (with what appears to be about 20pt of space at the right, so it seems that a negative indentshift is supposed to mean indenting from the opposite side from what indentalign specifies?  There is no mention of this in the spec that I can find.  Can someone clarify the intended meaning of negative indents?
> 
> Finally, the tests seem to assume a default indentalign of left, but the spec indicates that the default is up to the renderer.  MathJax uses centering by default, so the tests "fail".  it might be good if the tests set indent align explicitly.
> 
> Davide
> 

UND April 04, 2014 RE: mathml 3 tests results

Author: Daniel Marques (dani@wiris.com) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

Paul,



Thanks again!



Then, I request you "a zip of all the files" in order to proceed with the
tests by ourselves.



Dani



*From:* Paul Libbrecht [mailto:paul@hoplahup.net]
*Sent:* viernes, 04 de abril de 2014 12:53
*To:* Daniel Marques; www-math@w3.org
*Cc:* Ramon Eixarch
*Subject:* Re: mathml 3 tests results



Hello Dani,



I'm moving this thread to the www-math mailing-list as, I think, more
people may enjoy such a hint: how to create my own test suite results.



Le 4 avr. 2014 à 12:16, Daniel Marques <dani@wiris.com> a écrit :

Is there the possibility to run the test at
"http://i2geo.net/mml-testsuite/mathml3/" offline or installed in our
internal servers? Or maybe edit the XML by ourselves?



yes there is but it is not very documented. I used the following trick when
I ran the testsuite for wiris at the time, where an applet was displayed
for each.



We're running:

            http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/run.sh

to build the test suite from source files that are in:

            http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/testsuite/ (can't list files)



The run.sh uses mostly run.jelly, a fairly old xml-pipeline scripting
engine (http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-jelly/) that is perfect
for that task. That thing, in turn, processes each of the xml files (list
here: http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/toc.xml) producing
several output files inside "build", one for each "type of test suite road"
(main, mathml3, ...) using, for each, an XSLT transformation, from the xml
sources.



The XSLT transformed output, for the case of a reported test-output,
produces html with forms and javascript that produces a sequence of (~1600)
html pages that the user can browse to report the test-suite-results to the
server on i2geo. The files are all finished with "-form.xhtml". After you
have finished the run of a "road" you would get a URL which I can get,
verify, and upload as part of the general test results (
http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/results/tests.html).



For testing the Wiris OpenMath editor, or any other, you would do the
following:

- ask us to give you a zip of all the files (this will include a jelly
shell script and a fatJelly.jar)

- modify the XLST file w3c.xsl

- invoke run.sh to produce the build that contains your representation
method (e.g., to create applet code, or to create a pdf embedder)

- run the built test suite (typically you take a directory under build and
put jt somewhere web-accessible), it should let your browser communicate
directly with the server on i2geo.net

- At the end (or when you stop) the test-run, it should offer you a link to
an XML file that represents the table of contents annotated with your
results. It may be unreadable from you.



That URL js what we need to pull, verify, and upload so as to incorporate
it in the test suite results display.



Paul

UND April 04, 2014 Re: mathml 3 tests results

Author: Paul Libbrecht (paul@hoplahup.net) | Channel: www-math@w3.org Mail Archives

Hello Dani,

I'm moving this thread to the www-math mailing-list as, I think, more people may enjoy such a hint: how to create my own test suite results.

Le 4 avr. 2014 à 12:16, Daniel Marques <dani@wiris.com> a écrit :
> Is there the possibility to run the test at
> "http://i2geo.net/mml-testsuite/mathml3/" offline or installed in our
> internal servers? Or maybe edit the XML by ourselves? 

yes there is but it is not very documented. I used the following trick when I ran the testsuite for wiris at the time, where an applet was displayed for each.

We're running:
        http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/run.sh
to build the test suite from source files that are in:
        http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/testsuite/ (can't list files)

The run.sh uses mostly run.jelly, a fairly old xml-pipeline scripting engine (http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-jelly/) that is perfect for that task. That thing, in turn, processes each of the xml files (list here: http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/toc.xml) producing several output files inside "build", one for each "type of test suite road" (main, mathml3, …) using, for each, an XSLT transformation, from the xml sources.

The XSLT transformed output, for the case of a reported test-output, produces html with forms and javascript that produces a sequence of (~1600) html pages that the user can browse to report the test-suite-results to the server on i2geo. The files are all finished with "-form.xhtml". After you have finished the run of a "road" you would get a URL which I can get, verify, and upload as part of the general test results (http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/results/tests.html).

For testing the Wiris OpenMath editor, or any other, you would do the following:
- ask us to give you a zip of all the files (this will include a jelly shell script and a fatJelly.jar)
- modify the XLST file w3c.xsl
- invoke run.sh to produce the build that contains your representation method (e.g., to create applet code, or to create a pdf embedder) 
- run the built test suite (typically you take a directory under build and put jt somewhere web-accessible), it should let your browser communicate directly with the server on i2geo.net
- At the end (or when you stop) the test-run, it should offer you a link to an XML file that represents the table of contents annotated with your results. It may be unreadable from you. 

That URL js what we need to pull, verify, and upload so as to incorporate it in the test suite results display.

Paul

en-US April 04, 2014 Christian Perfect joins the MathJax team

Author: Peter Krautzberger | Channel: MathJax

We’re very happy to announce that Christian Perfect has joined the MathJax development team.

During his day job, Christian is the lead developer of Newcastle University‘s open-source e-assessment system Numbas. Christian has been an active community member for a few years now, contributing many cool tools to the community.

We’re excited Christian is joining MathJax and we look forward to working with him.

The MathJax Team.

en-US April 01, 2014 Google+ Hangout on Air on open math textbooks

Author: Peter Krautzberger | Channel: MathJax

Join us for a Hangout on Air with Kathi Fletcher (OERpub), David Farmer (AIM), Rob Beezer (University of Puget Sounds), Kent Morrison (Cal Poly), David Lipmman (Pierce College), and Phil Schatz (conneXions) on

April 7, 2014, 12pm PDT / 3pm EDT / 9pm CEST / 7pm UTC.

We’ll be discussing all things open (math) textbooks — from envisioning to authoring to delivering them to readers.

For details and updates check the G+ event page.

See you next Monday!
The MathJax team.