- 1 RDF Data Shapes Working Group
RDF Data Shapes Working Group
Mission: produce a W3C Recommendation for describing structural constraints and validate RDF instance data against those. (See Charter)
The WG has been officially approved by the W3C and the call for participation marked the official launch of the WG. The WG is expected to have weekly calls. See below for additional info.
- Use Case and Requirements (Note) - User Stories and Requirements
- Validation (Rec track)
- Core SHACL Abstract Syntax (Note)
Useful Working Group Wiki pages and documents
- Compilation of WG resolutions
- Proposals under consideration by WG and comments on them
- ISSUE-66: Recursion Use cases for recursion
- Refactored Syntax
- Vocabulary comparison between several proposals
- ISSUE-1: What inferencing can or must be used
- ISSUE-2: Required Skills of Audience
- ISSUE-3: Associations between Graphs and Shapes
- ISSUE-5: Associations between Resources and Shapes
- ISSUE-47: Can SPARQL-based constraints access the shape graph
- ISSUE-95: Metamodel simplifications
- Strawpoll on which approach to take to develop SHACL documents
- SHACL vocabulary description
- Initial source of user stories portion of UC&R document
- Initial source of use cases portion of UC&R document
- Initial source of requirements portion of UC&R document
- Existing Constraint or Constraint-like Systems for RDF
Other Input Documents
The documents here have been proposed as documents for the working group or embody proposals for various aspects of SHACL. They are mostly no longer under active consideration by the working group.
- SHACL (Shapes Constraint Language) Primer ericP and Holger, OUTDATED
A Primer for SHACL, concentrating on the high-level language, but also giving examples of constraints directly using SPARQL syntax. Largely compatible with all the other proposals.
- Core SHACL Semantics Iovka and ericP
ShEx-like semantics for SHACL Core
- SPARQL/SHACL Semantics ericP
Description of the non-core part of SHACL
- A SHACL Specification based on SPARQL pfps
A Formal Definition of the meaning of SHACL, based on a translation to SPARQL.
- Recursion in RDF Data Shape Languages Arthur
A well-founded semantics for recursion associated with sh:valueShape
- Z Specification for the W3C Editor's Draft Core SHACL Semantics Arthur
This article provides a formalization of the W3C Draft Core SHACL Semantics specification using Z notation. This formalization exercise has identified a number of quality issues in the draft. It has also established that the recursive definitions in the draft are well-founded.
- SHACL Vocabulary Reference Editors' Draft
- Paper "Linked Data Validation and Quality", Jose Emilio Labra Gayo, European Public Sector Information Report, No. 2015/09, includes a simple example using ShEx and SHACL: PDF
- "Validating and describing linked data portals using Shapes", Jose Emilio labra Gayo, Eric Prud'hommeaux, Harold Solbrig, Iovka Boneva, PDF, Submitted to Semantic Web Journal.
If you want to join this group, see How to Join.
If you are officially in the group, you will automatically receive group email and your w3.org login and password will work on this wiki.
We currently use two mailing lists as follows:
- Dedicated to WG discussions. Non WG members can subscribe but cannot post. See public-data-shapes-wg archive.
- Open to all, used for public discussion. See public-rdf-shapes archive.
Regular Teleconferences are scheduled on Thursday, at 2pm US Eastern (Boston) time for 90 minutes, 20:00 Paris/Berlin/A'dam, 19:00 London (see time converter for additional timezones and daylight saving time variations)
- The WG is now using WebEx - phone-in instructions are in the meeting agendas
- IRC channel: #shapes (IRC is connected to issue tracker via the IRC Trackbot)
- An agenda is sent 24 hours in advance; minutes follow a few days later.
- Scribes may want to check Scribe 101 and Common Scribe Manual.
- Teleconference 2016.07.28 Agenda
- Teleconference 2016.07.21 Agenda Minutes (not approved yet)
- Teleconference 2016.07.14 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.07.07 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.06.30 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.06.23 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.06.16 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.06.09 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.06.02 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.05.26 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.05.19 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.05.12 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.05.05 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.04.28 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.04.21 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.04.14 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.04.07 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.03.31 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.03.24 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.03.17 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.03.10 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.03.03 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.02.25 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.02.18 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.02.11 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.02.04 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.01.28 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.01.21 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.01.14 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2016.01.07 Agenda Minutes
- Virtual F2F5 2015.12.15-17 Day 1 Minutes Day 2 Minutes Day 3 Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.12.10 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.12.03 Agenda Minutes
- No Teleconference 2015.11.26 (US Thanksgiving)
- Teleconference 2015.11.19 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.11.12 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.11.05 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.10.29 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.10.22 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.10.15 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.10.08 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.10.01 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.09.24 Agenda Minutes
- Teleconference 2015.09.17 Agenda Minutes
- INRIA Lille F2F4 2015.09.08-10 Day 1 Minutes Day 2 Minutes Day 3 Minutes
This section provides references to some implementations in the works. Please, note that this list is merely informative and does not represent any form of endorsement by W3C or the WG.
- TopBraid Composer (the underlying TopBraid SHACL API (for Java) is open source)
- RDFUnit (open source) implements part of the SHACL Core language. SHACL issues are tracked here
- A Ruby implementation is planned
- Shapely RDF - see reference in Meetup announcement
- 2014.09.26 WG officially approved/announced
W3C Working Group Resources
- Art of Consensus (guide to working at W3C) (W3C member confidential)
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Process Document
- All W3C Groups (W3C member confidential)
- Info on Mercurial usage
- Telco tools
- Tools for Editors
This Working Group operates under the W3C Patent Policy (5 February 2004 Version). To promote the widest adoption of Web standards, W3C seeks to issue Recommendations that can be implemented, according to this policy, on a Royalty-Free basis.
For more information about disclosure obligations for this group, please see the W3C Patent Policy Status Page.
Email the chairs and staff contacts at firstname.lastname@example.org.