ISSUE-31: Author conformance requirements for the alt attribute on images

alt-conformance-requirements

Author conformance requirements for the alt attribute on images

State:
CLOSED
Product:
pre-LC1 HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Laura Carlson
Opened on:
2008-02-07
Description:
The img element section allows instances where the <img> element may have no text alternative, not just a null alt attribute for eye candy, but no text alternative for content. The issue involves ensuring HTML5 provides a way for automatic validators to programmatically detect the presence or absence of short text alternatives on the img element. The issue involves ensuring images have accessible alternatives. It asks the question, "What should be done when a text alternative is unknown/unavailable?

Requiring a set of machine testable, programmatically valid options helps ensure that images have complete structure. If no accessible option can be determined, then the resulting structure should be considered invalid. Text alternatives are essential for accessibility. Enabling automatic validators to programmatically detect the presence or absence of text alternatives raises public awareness of Web accessibility in general and aids in accessibility education in particular.

This issue is detailed at:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/IssueAltAttribute.
It was raised on 7 Feb 2008:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0103.html .

Change Proposal Choices Regarding Missing alt and Validation/Conformance.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElementSurveyConformaceChoices

Change Proposals include:

* Split out and modify parts of Section 4.8.2.1 By Steve Faulkner, December 9, 2009.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20091209

* Correct and Improve <img> Conformance Checker Guidance By Laura Carlson, January 26, 2010.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126

* Null change proposal for ISSUE-31 By Ian Hickson, March 24, 2010.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2010Mar/0029.html

* Require alt. Correct Definition to Provide Equality. Replace Guidance for Conformance Checkers. By Laura Carlson, May 4, 2010.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20100504

* Require alt Ala HTML4. Replace img Definition and Guidance for Conformance Checkers By Laura Carlson, May 10, 2010.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20100510

* Correct and Improve <img> Conformance Checker Guidance By Laura Carlson, July 6, 2010.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20100706

* Correct <img> Conformance Checker Guidance By Laura Carlson, July 7, 2010.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20100707

* Null Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 By Ian Hickson, July 15, 2010.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jul/0050.html

* Change Proposal: Definition of img By Gregory J. Rosmaita, November 23, 2010
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/first_2_paragraphs_of_definition_of_img

* Change Proposal: ISSUE-122 / ISSUE-31 Text Alternative Examples, Laura Carlson, November 7, 2010.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/TextAlternativesIssue122

Reopen Requests:

* Re-Open Request and Change Proposal on Meta Generator - Judy Brewer, et al., May 2, 2012.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/Issue31cMetaGenerator

*meta name=generator does not make missing alt conforming - Steve Faulkner, January 25th 2012.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposal/meta_name%3Dgenerator_does_not_make_missing_alt_conforming

* movealt - Steve Faulkner, February 10, 2012.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/movealt

* location of alt guidance (Draft Change Proposal) - Michael Cooper, July 14, 2011.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Jul/0095.html

* Text Alternatives Ownership - Michael Cooper, February 7, 2011.
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposal/Text_Alternatives_Ownership

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [alt a-link-or-button-containing-nothing-but-the-image a-phrase-or-paragraph-with-an-alternative-graphical-representation:-charts-diagrams-graphs-maps-illustrations a-short-phrase-or-label-with-an-alternative-graphical-representation:-icons-logos text-that-has-been-rendered-to-a-graphic-for-typographical-effect a-graphical-representation-of-some-of-the-surrounding-text a-purely-decorative-image-that-doesn-t-add-any-information a-group-of-images-that-form-a-single-larger-picture-with-no-links a-group-of-images-that-form-a-single-larger-picture-with-links a-key-part-of-the-content an-image-not-intended-for-the-user an-image-in-an-e-mail-or-private-document-intended-for-a-specific-person-who-is-known-to-be-able-to-view-images general-guidelines]'
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Re: Usage of Alt (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-11-24)
  2. Re: Usage of Alt (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-11-24)
  3. Usage of Alt (from robin@w3.org on 2012-11-23)
  4. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 requirements survey (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-10-10)
  5. RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 requirements survey (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-10-10)
  6. [Bug 19055] New: HTML5 Lacks a Way to Programmatically-Determine Missing Text Alternatives (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2012-09-25)
  7. CfC: Close ISSUE-206: meta-generator by Amicable Resolution (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-07-31)
  8. Re: ISSUE-206: meta-generator - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-07-24)
  9. 答复: ISSUE-206: meta-generator - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-06-28)
  10. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-203 media-descriptions by Amicable Resolution (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-06-27)
  11. Re: ISSUE-206: meta-generator - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-06-27)
  12. ISSUE-206: meta-generator - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-06-27)
  13. Re: Issue 31c: Meta generator (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-06-27)
  14. [minutes] 20120621 HTML Working Group (from plh@w3.org on 2012-06-22)
  15. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-21 - actions, issues, surveys, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-06-22)
  16. 答复: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-21 - actions, issues, surveys, task force reports (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-06-21)
  17. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-21 - actions, issues, surveys, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-06-20)
  18. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-13 (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-06-14)
  19. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-13 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-06-13)
  20. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-13 (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-06-13)
  21. Issue 31c: Meta generator (from jbrewer@w3.org on 2012-06-09)
  22. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-07 - actions, issues, task force reports (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-06-07)
  23. Re: Issue 31c: Meta generator (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-05-18)
  24. Issue 31c: Meta generator (from jbrewer@w3.org on 2012-05-02)
  25. Re: Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-03-13)
  26. RE: Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-03-13)
  27. RE: Review of second reopen request for issue 31b [alt-location] (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-03-13)
  28. Re: Request to Reconsider Meta Generator Alt Exception [ISSUE-31] (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2012-02-27)
  29. Re: Request to Reconsider Alt Guidance Location (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2012-02-23)
  30. Request to Reconsider Alt Guidance Location (from janina@rednote.net on 2012-02-22)
  31. Re: Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-02-17)
  32. Re: Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-02-16)
  33. Re: re-open request for issue 31 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-02-11)
  34. RE: re-open request for issue 31 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-02-11)
  35. re-open request for issue 31 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-02-11)
  36. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-02-10)
  37. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2012-02-10)
  38. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-02-09)
  39. Request to Reconsider Meta Generator Alt Exception (from janina@rednote.net on 2012-02-09)
  40. Re: Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-02-09)
  41. Reminder of the Deadline for reopen requests based on New Information (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-02-08)
  42. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-07-05)
  43. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-05-12: Actions, New Issues, Closing Issues, TF reports, Last Call schedule (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-11)
  44. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-12: Actions, New Issues, Closing Issues, TF reports, Last Call schedule (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-11)
  45. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey - formal objection to the title being conforming (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-05-04)
  46. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey - formal objection to the title being conforming (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-05-04)
  47. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey - formal objection to the title being conforming (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-05-04)
  48. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from karld@opera.com on 2011-04-26)
  49. Fwd: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-04-25)
  50. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-25)
  51. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-04-24)
  52. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-04-24)
  53. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2011-04-24)
  54. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-22)
  55. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from bzbarsky@MIT.EDU on 2011-04-22)
  56. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-22)
  57. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2011-04-22)
  58. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-22)
  59. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-22)
  60. RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2011-04-21)
  61. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2011-04-21)
  62. RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2011-04-21)
  63. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2011-04-21)
  64. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-21)
  65. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2011-04-21)
  66. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-21)
  67. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-21)
  68. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-21)
  69. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-21: New Issue, ISSUE-152, Decisions, Issue Status, Plans (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-20)
  70. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-20)
  71. [Bug 12526] New: image verbiage (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2011-04-20)
  72. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-19)
  73. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-19)
  74. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-04-19)
  75. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-19)
  76. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-19)
  77. Re: Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-19)
  78. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-19)
  79. Objection to generator decision (Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-19)
  80. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-19)
  81. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-19)
  82. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-04-19)
  83. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-18)
  84. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2011-04-18)
  85. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 requirements survey (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-18)
  86. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey - formal objection to the title being conforming (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-18)
  87. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 requirements survey (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-18)
  88. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey - formal objection to the title being conforming (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-18)
  89. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 requirements survey (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-18)
  90. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 verbiage survey (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-18)
  91. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-18)
  92. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-07: Issues, Surveys, Decisions and Publications (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-04-07)
  93. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-07: Issues, Surveys, Decisions and Publications (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-04-06)
  94. Validity map for <img> (Poll A, ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80, validation) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-31)
  95. Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll A for Objections (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-31)
  96. Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll A for Objections (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-03-30)
  97. Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll A for Objections (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-03-30)
  98. Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll A for Objections (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-03-30)
  99. Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll A for Objections (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-03-30)
  100. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-31: Issues, Publications, Surveys, Decisions, Task Force Reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-30)
  101. Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll A for Objections (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-30)
  102. ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll C for Objections (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-03-29)
  103. ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll B for Objections (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-03-29)
  104. ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 - Straw Poll A for Objections (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-03-29)
  105. Re: example spec text for longdesc (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-03-21)
  106. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-17: Issues, surveys, decisions and task force reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-03-17)
  107. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-17: Issues, surveys, decisions and task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-03-15)
  108. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-03: Issues, survey, A11y TF mini-report, Bug 11984 (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-02-10)
  109. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-02-07)
  110. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-02-07)
  111. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-02-07)
  112. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-02-07)
  113. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-02-07)
  114. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-02-07)
  115. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-02-07)
  116. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-02-07)
  117. Re: Change Proposal text for HTML WG ISSUE-122 (HTML5 section 4.8.1.1.7) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-12-08)
  118. Change Proposals Regarding ISSUE-31 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-11-27)
  119. {minutes} HTML WG F2F minutes, Lyon, France, Nov 4-5 Part 1 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-11-09)
  120. [Bug 8827] Inappropriate spec text and advice where images are not known (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2010-09-14)
  121. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-26)
  122. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-26)
  123. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-08-26)
  124. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-26)
  125. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-26)
  126. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-08-25)
  127. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-25)
  128. RE: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-08-25)
  129. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-24)
  130. RE: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-08-13)
  131. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-08-10)
  132. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-09)
  133. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-08-09)
  134. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-08)
  135. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-08-07)
  136. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-08-07)
  137. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-08-07)
  138. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-08-07)
  139. Re: Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-07)
  140. Specific points of controversy relating to alt text (ISSUE-31, ISSUE-80) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-08-06)
  141. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from joedwil@earthlink.net on 2010-07-25)
  142. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-07-23)
  143. Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-07-23)
  144. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-07-22)
  145. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-07-22)
  146. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-07-22)
  147. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-07-22)
  148. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-07-22)
  149. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-21)
  150. Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-21)
  151. RE: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-07-21)
  152. RE: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-07-21)
  153. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-07-21)
  154. RE: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-07-20)
  155. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-07-19)
  156. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-07-19)
  157. Re: Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-07-19)
  158. Re: comments on 'private use' section of proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-07-18)
  159. Re: comments on 'private use' section of proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2010-07-18)
  160. Re: comments on 'private use' section of proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-07-18)
  161. Re: response to counter proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-07-16)
  162. Re: response to counter proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-16)
  163. Re: response to counter proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-16)
  164. Re: comments on 'private use' section of proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-16)
  165. Re: response to counter proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-07-16)
  166. Re: comments on 'private use' section of proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-07-16)
  167. comments on 'private use' section of proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-07-16)
  168. response to counter proposal for ISSUE-31 AND ISSUE-80 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-07-16)
  169. Change proposals for ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-07-15)
  170. Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-07-15)
  171. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-15 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-15)
  172. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-15: note new dial-in numbers for Paris and London (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-07-14)
  173. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-08: actions, issues, decisions, revised proposals, future surveys, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-08)
  174. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-80 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-08)
  175. Re: Add rationale or exclude role='presentation', aria-labelledby & aria-labelled attributes from alt change proposal? Help needed. (was Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-08)
  176. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-31 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-08)
  177. FW: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-08: actions, issues, decisions, revised proposals, future surveys, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-07)
  178. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-08: actions, issues, decisions, revised proposals, future surveys, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-07)
  179. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-31 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-07-01)
  180. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-31 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-06-24)
  181. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-80 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-06-23)
  182. Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-06-23)
  183. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-31 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-06-23)
  184. Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-23)
  185. Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-06-23)
  186. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-31 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-23)
  187. Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-23)
  188. Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-11)
  189. Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt (from raman@google.com (T.V Raman) on 2010-05-10)
  190. Re: Request to publish HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives as a first public working draft (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-09)
  191. Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-04)
  192. Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-04)
  193. Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt (from janina@rednote.net on 2010-05-04)
  194. Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-04)
  195. Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-04)
  196. Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-05-03)
  197. HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-31 Missing Alt (from janina@rednote.net on 2010-05-03)
  198. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-29: Action items, new issues, Task Force reports - minutes of the meeting (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-04-29)
  199. [Bug 9589] HTML5 should give examples for how to present @title when the user can't use a pointing device (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2010-04-25)
  200. Minutes of HTML WG meeting, Apr 15 2010 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-19)
  201. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-15: Action items, issues, decision policy, task forces, TPAC (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-14)
  202. [minutes] 20100325 HTML teleconference (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30)
  203. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  204. Re: Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-03-24)
  205. Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 Change Proposals (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-24)
  206. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-24)
  207. Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 Change Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  208. Re: ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 Change Proposals (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-24)
  209. Re: priority of bugs changed...again (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-24)
  210. Re: Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  211. Re: Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-24)
  212. Re: priority of bugs changed...again (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  213. Re: Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  214. ISSUE-31 and ISSUE-80 Change Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  215. Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-24)
  216. Re: Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-23)
  217. Re: Bug 7034 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-23)
  218. Re: Bug 7034 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-23)
  219. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-18)
  220. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-03-18)
  221. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-03-18)
  222. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-17)
  223. Re: Breakdown of issues (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-12)
  224. Breakdown of issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-12)
  225. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-11: decision policy, proposals, task forces (from singer@apple.com on 2010-03-11)
  226. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-11: decision policy, proposals, task forces (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-10)
  227. [Bug 8716] Replace img Guidance for Conformance Checkers with Suggested Text for Short Text Alternatives (from bugzilla@wiggum.w3.org on 2010-03-10)
  228. [Bug 6496] Allow <img aria-labelledby> to act as a text alternative (from bugzilla@wiggum.w3.org on 2010-03-10)
  229. Subject: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-25: actions, issues, publication (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-24)
  230. Re: ISSUE-31: missing-alt & ISSUE-80: title-alternative - Chairs solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-24)
  231. Re: ISSUE-31: missing-alt & ISSUE-80: title-alternative - Chairs solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-23)
  232. ISSUE-31: missing-alt & ISSUE-80: title-alternative - Chairs solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-23)
  233. Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-02-11)
  234. Minutes HTML WG 11 February 2010 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-11)
  235. Re: ACTION-170: Update A11Y timeline for tracker related issues (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-02-11)
  236. Re: ISSUE-31 Change Proposal (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-11)
  237. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from dboudreau@webconforme.com on 2010-02-10)
  238. Re: ACTION-170: Update A11Y timeline for tracker related issues (from janina@rednote.net on 2010-02-10)
  239. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from janina@rednote.net on 2010-02-10)
  240. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-10)
  241. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-10)
  242. ACTION-170: Update A11Y timeline for tracker related issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-10)
  243. [VER 2] {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-21)
  244. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from singer@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  245. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-20)
  246. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-20)
  247. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-14: AIs, CfC/CfPs, TFs, plus: heartbeat docs (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-13)
  248. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-14: AIs, CfC/CfPs, TFs, plus: heartbeat docs (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-01-13)
  249. Re: change proposal:modification to section 4.8.2.1 the img element (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2009-12-09)
  250. Re: change proposal:modification to section 4.8.2.1 the img element (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-08)
  251. Re: change proposal:modification to section 4.8.2.1 the img element (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-04)
  252. Re: change proposal:modification to section 4.8.2.1 the img element (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-04)
  253. change proposal:modification to section 4.8.2.1 the img element (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2009-12-03)
  254. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-3: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-02)
  255. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from oradnio@gmail.com on 2009-11-19)
  256. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2009-11-19)
  257. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-18)
  258. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-18)
  259. Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09)
  260. FW: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09)
  261. minutes for 2009-09-03 telcon (from mike@w3.org on 2009-09-05)
  262. Re: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-08-20 - Accessibility TF, HTML5 Test Suite, etc (from john@jkemp.net on 2009-09-02)
  263. Re: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-08-20 - Accessibility TF, HTML5 Test Suite, etc (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-02)
  264. Re: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-08-20 - Accessibility TF, HTML5 Test Suite, etc (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-02)
  265. Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-08-20 - Accessibility TF, HTML5 Test Suite, etc (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-01)
  266. State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-08-20)
  267. Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-17)
  268. Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-16)
  269. Re: Consolidated issues that may qualify as 'controversial' (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-12)
  270. Re: Consolidated issues that may qualify as 'controversial' (from shelleyp@burningbird.net on 2009-08-12)
  271. Consolidated issues that may qualify as 'controversial' (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-08-12)
  272. minutes HTML weekly 9 July for review (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-07-09)
  273. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-06-15)
  274. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-06-01)
  275. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-05-11)
  276. minutes: HTML WG telecon 2009-05-07 [draft] (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-05-07)
  277. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-04-27)
  278. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-03-31)
  279. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-03-24)
  280. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-03-16)
  281. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-03-12 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-03-11)
  282. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-03-12 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-03-11)
  283. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-03-09)
  284. Re: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-02-24)
  285. RE: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns (from foliot@wats.ca on 2009-02-24)
  286. Re: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-02-24)
  287. Re: Input on the agenda (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-23)
  288. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-02-23)
  289. minutes: HTML WG telecon 2009-02-19 [draft] (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-02-19)
  290. Re: Need differentiator between 'no alt text provided' and 'no alt text necessary' (from joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie on 2009-02-18)
  291. Re: Need differentiator between 'no alt text provided' and 'no alt text necessary' (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-18)
  292. Re: Need differentiator between 'no alt text provided' and 'no alt text necessary' (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2009-02-12)
  293. Re: Need differentiator between 'no alt text provided' and 'no alt text necessary' (from chaals@opera.com on 2009-02-12)
  294. Re: Need differentiator between 'no alt text provided' and 'no alt text necessary' (from jcraig@apple.com on 2009-02-11)
  295. Re: Need differentiator between 'no alt text provided' and 'no alt text necessary' (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-11)
  296. [Minutes] HTML Weekly Teleconference 05 February 2009 (from karl+w3c@la-grange.net on 2009-02-05)
  297. minutes: HTML WG weekly telcon 22 Jan 2009 (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-01-23)
  298. minutes: HTML Weekly Teleconference 15 Jan 2009 (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-01-16)
  299. minutes: HTML Weekly Teleconference 08 Jan 2009 (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-01-16)
  300. Action 90 & 92: Ask Matt May if he can help represent WAI WGs in the HTML WG - due 2009-01-15 - open (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-01-14)
  301. HTML WG telcon 2008-08-28 (from Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com on 2008-08-26)
  302. Re: requiring the alt attribute (from rob@robburns.com on 2008-08-24)
  303. requiring the alt attribute [was Re: Another HTML5 alt conformance question for clarification] (from rob@robburns.com on 2008-08-24)
  304. Re: toward a schedule of HTML WG issues (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-08-22)
  305. Re: toward a schedule of HTML WG issues (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2008-08-22)
  306. toward a schedule of HTML WG issues (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-08-21)
  307. Re: ISSUE-58 (curly alt): Use of 'curly brackets' to identify a graphical image by its use or type by inserting a generic identifier / descriptor in curly braces as the @alt value for an IMG, [HTML 5 spec] (from joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie on 2008-08-13)
  308. Re: ISSUE-58 (curly alt): Use of 'curly brackets' to identify a graphical image by its use or type by inserting a generic identifier / descriptor in curly braces as the @alt value for an IMG, [HTML 5 spec] (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-08-13)
  309. {minutes} HTML WG issue-tracking telcon 2008-06-19 (from mike@w3.org on 2008-06-25)
  310. {minutes} HTML WG issue-tracking telcon 2008-06-05 (from mike@w3.org on 2008-06-06)
  311. Re: alt - data and reason Re: One more thought... (from mjs@apple.com on 2008-05-19)
  312. Re: alt - data and reason Re: One more thought... (from chaals@opera.com on 2008-05-19)
  313. RE: alt - data and reason Re: One more thought... (from love26@gorge.net on 2008-05-19)
  314. alt - data and reason Re: One more thought... (from chaals@opera.com on 2008-05-19)
  315. Re: Use-case for where alt text would be truly unavailable (from chaals@opera.com on 2008-04-25)
  316. Re: Use-case for where alt text would be truly unavailable (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2008-04-18)
  317. minutes HTML WG weekly 17 Apr (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-04-17)
  318. Is this an accurate reflection of where we stand today? (was RE: New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft)) (from foliot@wats.ca on 2008-04-16)
  319. Re: Use-case for where alt text would be truly unavailable (from raman@google.com on 2008-04-16)
  320. Re: Use-case for where alt text would be truly unavailable (from chaals@opera.com on 2008-04-16)
  321. Re: New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft) (from Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org on 2008-04-14)
  322. Re: New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2008-04-11)
  323. Re: New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft) (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-04-11)
  324. Re: omitting alt: closing an open issue with a bound action item in progress (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2008-04-11)
  325. Re: omitting alt: closing an open issue with a bound action item in progress (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-04-11)
  326. Re: [html4all] New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft) (from chaals@opera.com on 2008-04-11)
  327. Re: several messages relating to the alt='' attribute (from lhs@malform.no on 2008-04-11)
  328. omitting alt: closing an open issue with a bound action item in progress (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2008-04-10)
  329. Re: several messages relating to the alt='' attribute (from ian@hixie.ch on 2008-04-10)
  330. minutes HTML WG weekly 21 Feb (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-03-09)
  331. ISSUE-31 (missing-alt): Should img without alt ever be conforming [HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2008-02-07)

Related notes:

I've examined this issue and all related materials, and couldn't find a way to deal with mass-upload image hosting sites and Rorschach inkblot tests that didn't involve not including the alt='' attribute. Since alt='' is still required in all other cases, this shouldn't, as far as I can tell, affect accessibility of other pages.

Please re-open if you have a reason to address the above issues in some other way.

Ian Hickson, 10 Apr 2008, 22:11:35

Reopened - there is an ongoing action item related to this, and clearly no consensus yet.

Charles McCathie Nevile, 11 Apr 2008, 10:12:39

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0225.html is the start of the thread (called new issue, but it isn't) about HTML and WCAG drafts.

Charles McCathie Nevile, 11 Apr 2008, 11:57:40

(Moving to None product to indicate that the issue now is about coordination with another working group rather than about specific issues with the spec itself. I will move it back once coordination issues are resolved.)

Ian Hickson, 11 Apr 2008, 19:42:17

Some more thread roots - this has generated a *lot* of discussion...

http://www.w3.org/mid/fb6fbf560804141048u16a79483ic355ef11366166dc@mail.gmail.com - "An attempted summary" by Jim Jewett

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0295.html - "Re: New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft ..." (thread broken) from Katie Haritos-Shea

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0372.html - same thread broke again from Henri Sivonen

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0334.html - "point of clarification in alt debates" - Steven Faulkner

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0400.html - "there are markup options" from Al Gilman

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0408.html - "request for review of alt and alt value..." from Laura Carlson

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0461.html = "Use case for where alt would be truly unavailable" from Andrew Sidwell

Charles McCathie Nevile, 16 Apr 2008, 08:34:10

This is pretty clearly a question of what the spec requires.

Charles McCathie Nevile, 25 Apr 2008, 04:30:35

Title changed per resolution on August 14th, 2008 telecon.

Shawn Medero, 14 Aug 2008, 16:35:43

The HTML 5 editor's draft has changed significantly since ISSUE-31 was opened:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#alt

One of those changes ("curly braces" proposal) resulted in ISSUE-58 being opened to address concerns that the "curly braces" proposal should NOT compromise the author's ability to provide a textual equivalent. The August 14th, 2008 telecon determined that ISSUE-58 was a duplicate of ISSUE-31 and the resolution was to change the title of ISSUE-31 to more accurately state the HTML working group's (and other WGs) concerns around HTML 5's @alt language.

One of the major discussion points in ISSUE-58 was that using @role for machine-parseable values would be a better approach than the one set forth in the "curly braces" proposal. Laura Carlson noted in the telcon that the @role proposal is detailed on the HTML WG wiki:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/IssueAltAttribute#head-27468e7ee9afd1f9e07186c8d74f0b0168b3975a

Shawn Medero, 14 Aug 2008, 16:58:23

nice summary:

Re: some reflections on @alt usage (and summary of research so far)
Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:45:24 +0000 (UTC)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Aug/0602.html

Dan Connolly, 25 Aug 2008, 15:46:07

Ian's summary of the current state (Aug 26th, 2008) the @alt draft text and how he came to his findings:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Aug/0759.html

Shawn Medero, 26 Aug 2008, 21:21:04

raised pending proposal

Dan Connolly, 22 Jan 2009, 17:36:27

Marking this OPEN as Ian's proposal of 6 Feb 2009 20:15:34 +0000 seems to have
a critical mass of support
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0184.html

Dan Connolly, 11 Feb 2009, 22:59:14

Steve Faulkner has started of redraft of sub sections '4.8.1 The figure element' and '4.8.2 The img element':
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/img.html

Start of "Best practice techniques: Providing text alternatives for images"
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/textalternatives.html

Based on Action 54: First Draft Deliverable
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Action54AltAttribute

Laura Carlson, 10 Sep 2009, 15:51:44

img Element Change Proposal
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20091203

Laura Carlson, 3 Dec 2009, 15:37:49

Related Bugs:
6494: Make the requiredness about alt more obvious.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6494
7144: I am not sure if we are ditching ALT in favour of legend. You don't make this clear.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7144
8171: Implement the text alternatives proposal from WAI
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8171
8645: Alt text for images
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8645
8646: Private communication exception
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8646
8652: what to display when images are not available is not well specified
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8652
8716: Replace img Guidance for Conformance Checkers with Suggested Text
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8716
8827: Inappropriate spec text and advice where images are not known
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8827

Laura Carlson, 27 Jan 2010, 19:08:02

Email:
ISSUE-31 Change Proposal - Laura Carlson
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/thread.html#msg310

Laura Carlson, 28 Jan 2010, 14:55:56


Change Proposals:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20091209
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2010Mar/0029.html

Re: Request for PFWG WAI review of Omitting alt Attribute for Critical Content
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0082.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0088.html

Action 54: First Draft Deliverable (authoring guidelines and examples)
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Action54AltAttribute
Action 54 First Draft Comments:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Action54AltAttributeDiscussion
Action 54 Second draft
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Action54AltAttributeSecondDraft
Action 54 Third Draft:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Action54AltAttributeThirdDraft

WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5
http://www.w3.org/2009/06/Text-Alternatives-in-HTML5

ACTION-131 First Draft Deliverable (Spec text):
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/img.html

Related Bugs:

9218: Enable Automatic Validators to Programmatically Determine the Presence or Absence of a Set of Text Alternatives
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9218
9217: Remove the Paragraph-Section-Heading loophole for not providing a text alternative.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9217
9216: Provide a CAPTCHA example that is in accord with WCAG 2 or Defer to "HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives"
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9216
9215: Provide a Webcam example that is in accord with WCAG 2 or Defer to 'HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives"
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9215
9214: Allow role="presentation" on img
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9214
9213: HTML5 Lacks a Way to Programmatically-Determine Missing Text Alternatives
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9213
9212: Change the Generator Mechanism for img from Document Level to Element Level
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9212
8872: split out and modify parts of Section 4.8.2.1 the img element
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8872
8827: Inappropriate spec text and advice where images are not known
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8827
8716: Replace img Guidance for Conformance Checkers with Suggested Text
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8716
8652: what to display when images are not available is not well specified
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8652
8646: Private communication exception
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8646
8645: Alt text for images
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8645
8171: Implement the text alternatives proposal from WAI
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8171
7144: I am not sure if we are ditching ALT in favour of legend. You don't make this clear.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7144
6494: Make the requiredness about alt more obvious.
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=6494

Laura Carlson, 10 May 2010, 13:16:27

Bug triage sub-team notes that Bug 9098 http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9098 also seems related to this. It already has the TrackerIssue keyword and a reference to this issue.

Michael Cooper, 14 Sep 2010, 16:13:01

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0453.html
http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=6026&to=6027
http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=6027&to=6028

Sam Ruby, 9 May 2011, 09:04:47

[glenn]: re-open request

14 Jun 2012, 16:22:36

Display change log ATOM feed


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $