2012-05-02 14:19:28: Description changed to 'The img element section allows instances where the <img> element may have no text alternative, not just a null alt attribute for eye candy, but no text alternative for content. The issue involves ensuring HTML5 provides a way for automatic validators to programmatically detect the presence or absence of short text alternatives on the img element. The issue involves ensuring images have accessible alternatives. It asks the question, "What should be done when a text alternative is unknown/unavailable?
Requiring a set of machine testable, programmatically valid options helps ensure that images have complete structure. If no accessible option can be determined, then the resulting structure should be considered invalid. Text alternatives are essential for accessibility. Enabling automatic validators to programmatically detect the presence or absence of text alternatives raises public awareness of Web accessibility in general and aids in accessibility education in particular.
This issue is detailed at:
It was raised on 7 Feb 2008:
Change Proposal Choices Regarding Missing alt and Validation/Conformance.
Change Proposals include:
* Split out and modify parts of Section 188.8.131.52 By Steve Faulkner, December 9, 2009.
* Correct and Improve <img> Conformance Checker Guidance By Laura Carlson, January 26, 2010.
* Null change proposal for ISSUE-31
By Ian Hickson, March 24, 2010.
* Require alt. Correct Definition to Provide Equality. Replace Guidance for Conformance Checkers. By Laura Carlson, May 4, 2010.
* Require alt Ala HTML4. Replace img Definition and Guidance for Conformance Checkers By Laura Carlson, May 10, 2010.
* Correct and Improve <img> Conformance Checker Guidance By Laura Carlson, July 6, 2010.
* Correct <img> Conformance Checker Guidance By Laura Carlson, July 7, 2010.
* Null Change proposals for ISSUE-31
By Ian Hickson, July 15, 2010.
* Change Proposal: Definition of img By Gregory J. Rosmaita, November 23, 2010
* Change Proposal: ISSUE-122
Text Alternative Examples, Laura Carlson, November 7, 2010.
* Re-Open Request and Change Proposal on Meta Generator] - Judy Brewer, et al., May 2, 2012.
*meta name=generator does not make missing alt conforming - Steve Faulkner, January 25th 2012.
* movealt - Steve Faulkner, February 10, 2012.
* location of alt guidance (Draft Change Proposal) - Michael Cooper, July 14, 2011.
* Text Alternatives Ownership - Michael Cooper, February 7, 2011.
HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [alt a-link-or-button-containing-nothing-but-the-image a-phrase-or-paragraph-with-an-alternative-graphical-representation:-charts-diagrams-graphs-maps-illustrations a-short-phrase-or-label-with-an-alternative-graphical-representation:-icons-logos text-that-has-been-rendered-to-a-graphic-for-typographical-effect a-graphical-representation-of-some-of-the-surrounding-text a-purely-decorative-image-that-doesn-t-add-any-information a-group-of-images-that-form-a-single-larger-picture-with-no-links a-group-of-images-that-form-a-single-larger-picture-with-links a-key-part-of-the-content an-image-not-intended-for-the-user an-image-in-an-e-mail-or-private-document-intended-for-a-specific-person-who-is-known-to-be-able-to-view-images general-guidelines]'' [Laura Carlson]