Noise management – as the network grows – more of a chance for noise – social network becomes more likely to fragment and disintegrate based on that noise
Existing approaches don’t really solve problem
- hidden follow button – practical 100-150 person limit
- provide segregation – groups/communities/ – re-silo’d – dilutes the social mechanism
- use cases to articulate the problem, how to solve, see if we can learn from this
Challenge: – mixing a variety of information sources – what is the right method to change content from noise to value – a user mechanism (custom views/aggregation – third party aggregation) bringing things together replacing the follow model – segregation) – context aware approaches, introduce high energy content/hot topics, we know that things are silo’d – bring additional information (e.g. role relevant)
- letting the user manage the content without degenerating to self defined silos
- better tools to tune/re-tune the view
- counter self-selection and silos by introducing additional content back
– Implications of engaging with new people, how much to disclose, how to introduce additional participants (based as context and security without over disclosing)
Phase 1 – better defining problem statement
Reach out to adjacent communities (proposing starting with SBCG LinkedIn Community) to identify various definitions of noise in a social network (over notifications, filter issues, timing, why is it an issue (upside down bell curve) -why in the future, appropriateness of venue/examples)
- identify major themes,
- SME’s/topics for deeper dive
- recruit potential participants
Guiding principal: let’s not speculate on solutions
Input: set of questions to facilitate conversation
- range of considerations what/why – End of Nov?
- cut on primary authors for the draft use case – End of Nov?
Phase 2 – Draft use case
- begin to socialize concepts
- solicit refined input
Input: feedback from adjacent networks
- Draft Usecase End of Dec?
- Webinar to unveil/solicit additional input (tbd) Dec 2012?
Phase 3 – fine tuning use case / deliverable to proposed external venue
Phase 4 – public unveiling – Enterprise 2.o ?
Phase 5 – drive technical deliverables – block architecture update?