TimedText/WebVTT Wide Review
- 1 BugZilla and GitHub
- 2 Implementations and Authoring Guides
- 3 Testing
- 4 First Wide Review Review Requests and Responses
- 5 Second Wide Review Review Requests and Responses
- 6 Substantive changes since (Second) Wide Review Review
- 7 Guidelines for Status of comments
BugZilla and GitHub
There is also a Github issues repository. These should be scanned to make sure that we have addressed all that needed to be addressed prior to CR.
Implementations and Authoring Guides
The rather large number of implementations indicates fairly extensive review.
There is a introduction to VTT Concepts, originally on the WebPlatform site.
First Wide Review Review Requests and Responses
Messages sent requesting review internally to the W3C, of the FPWD
Thierry requested cross-review from I18N, Accessibility, CSS and HTML. Bugs were initially filed and handled in BugZilla; unresolved ones were transferred to GitHub and further trackign happened there. The responses are tracked in the tables below; however, tracking was done in the bugs/issues (BugZilla and GitHub) rather than in meetings or by email exchange.
- I18N: [Status: pending response from TTWG and acceptance by I18N]
|num||issue||bugzilla||disposition||type||status (CG)||status (WG)|
|I-1||6.2.1 line heights||28269||works for me, accepted by author (use CSS)||ed||2.4||3.4|
|I-2||3.2 scroll value and vertical writing||28268||proposed to define scrolling only for horizontal text in this version||sub||2.4||3.3|
|I-3||3.1 Line wrapping for non-Latin scripts||28267||fixed, we defer to CSS, and use overflow-wrap from there; accepted by author||sub||2.4||3.4|
|I-4||6.2.1 processing model handling of bidi||28266||fixed by including a bidi example; accepted by author||sub||2.4||3.4|
|I-5||incomplete ruby implementation||28265||marked s a possible future extension of the ruby support; accepted by author||sub||2.4||3.4|
|I-6||4.3.2 very few character escapes||28264||fixed, we simply refer now to HTML for all escapes||sub||2.4||3.3|
|I-7||"valid" language tags||28263||fixed, we require validity by authoring tools only||sub||2.4||3.3|
|I-8||4.3.2 emphasis spans||28262||it's possible to work around it just like in HTML by styling b, i etc.; change accepted by author||sub||2.4||3.4|
|I-9||WebVTT percentage digits?||28261||fixed, responder satisfied||sub||2.4||3.4|
|I-10||zero or more characters?||28260||fixed, responder satisfied||sub||2.4||3.4|
|I-11||Normalization and string identity issues||28259||fixed, responder satisfied||sub||2.4||3.4|
|I-12||more formal grammar?||28258||won't fix; we supply authoring guide as a separate document||sub||2.7||3.3|
|I-13||start/end linked to left/right||28257||fixed, clarified start and end to be line-left and line-right||sub||2.4||3.3|
|I-14||no non-ASCII examples||28256||fixed, responder satisfied||sub||2.4||3.4|
|I-15||no provision for indicating overall content language(s)||28255||won't fix, overall language is provided by the environment||sub||2.4||3.3|
|I-16||term "NOTE" may not be friendly to users in other languages||28254||won't fix, the VTT syntax is rooted in latin text; accepted by resonder||ed||2.4||3.4|
- CSS: [Status: pending response from TTWG and acceptance by CSS]
- Request for review: to Bert during Interaction call.
- CSS WG review: April 2015
- The following bugs were filed
- Accessibility:[Status: pending response from TTWG and acceptance by Accessibility]
|num||bugzilla||disposition||type||status (CG)||status (WG)|
|A-1||Users of Magnification||no change? The layout algorithm is designed to be robust against font size changes||ge||2.7||3.3|
|A-2||The spec should include feature explanations in plain language||no change, we rely on external documents to provide an authoring guide.||ge||2.7||3.3|
|A-3||Captions on the audio element||fixed, explanations added||ge||2.4||3.3|
- Request for review: to Mike during Interaction call.
- HTML WG review: March 2015 (no comments)
Messages were sent requesting review internally to other standard bodies:
- MPEG mp4 file format ad-hoc (list is private, alas; they have a packing into mp4). MPEG replied that they had defined the packing, and implemented reference software, and had no comments.
- 3GPP SA4 (multmedia and codecs)
- EBU timed text (November 13th 2014, sent to EBUfirstname.lastname@example.org)
- DASH industry forum (email to the chairs, November 13th 2014)
- SMPTE (November 13th 2014, mail sent to 24TB)
We have messages of review from the following:
- Andreas of IRT raised these other points in his review:
- Overall readability:
- You have to read the rendering section (to understand authoring)
- Often a part of a section is dependent of other parts
- You most probably have to read the complete spec
- it would be a big help if the information about a "feature" like positioning is all in one place
- Graphical representations would help a lot to understand the abstract concepts.
- Some concepts from the HTML spec are so vital to WebVTT that a short summary would be of help
- it would be a great help in addition to the prose there is a formal representation e.g. in Extended Backus–Naur Form (EBNF).
- Maybe it would help if it is made more concrete how "vertical" and "horizontal" relate to the rendering pane of the video?
- The text position depends on the text alignment
- Overall response to these follows: We have tried to re-factor the specification for better readability, but it remains a formal specification for implementors rather than authors (as noted also to WAI), and as such we depend on the existence of (external) authoring guides such as is/was at WebPlatform Docs. We would not like to provide a formal grammar as we fear it would be impossible to align completely with the parsing algorithm. We have tried to improve the text positioning and alignment prose and make it less tangled.
- Overall readability:
- Bugzilla bugs handling Andreas' reports
|num||bugzilla||disposition||type||status (CG)||status (WG)|
|M-1||28070 Title of 3.1 should be "WebVTT cues"||fixed||ed||2.4||3.3|
|M-2||28071 The concept of line position is unnecessarily used when writing direction is introduced||fixed||sub||2.4||3.3|
|M-3||28072 Consistent use of snap-to-lines flag||fixed||sub||2.4||3.3|
|M-4||28073 Rename "line position" to something more appropriate?||fixed, better wording (line offset etc.)||sub||2.4||3.3|
|M-5||28074 Link up mention of "region" in text position definition||fixed||sub||2.4||3.3|
|M-6||28075 Add a visual representation of region anchoring||fixed, diagram added||ed||2.4||3.3|
|M-7||28408 Consider reorganising the Rendering section||section re-organized||ed||2.4||3.3|
Second Wide Review Review Requests and Responses
Thierry sent messages to Privacy, Security, i18n, CSS, Media and Entertainment, Media Text Tracks, and APA, on Sept 7th 2017. No issues were received from outside the WG; issues were received from two members of the WG, and tracked in GitHub.
The resulting issues are in three classes:
- the open list is now a few minor editing issues that can be handled in the CR period;
- the issue that is pending are in the process of reconciliation with the editor or commenter
- issues that are resolved
The tags on the issues indicate the CG, WG, and Commenter status. There is no tracking table here; the tables above are a poor reflection of the dialogue, and for this round, tracking was done solely in the GitHub issues.
Substantive changes since (Second) Wide Review Review
The following table contains all the PRs and breaks them into classes; technical (substantive), editorial, and administrative.
|388||sub||Clarify the "WebVTT cue settings list" definition.|
|389||sub||Add a "User agents that do not support CSS" conformance class.|
|390||ed||Move definition of chapter title text|
|394||ed||Add some explanatory text about the different types of VTT files.|
|395||sub||Add default color and background color names for applicable classes.|
|396||ed||Fix up algorithm markup and improve a bikeshed style.|
|398||ed||Break up section 6 a bit more to make it more readable.|
|399||ed||Clarify line cue setting specification.|
|400||sub||Region clarification issue 376|
|407||adm||Add code of conduct as proposed by plh|
|408||sub||Turn long alt text into longdesc.|
|409||ed||Add some introductory paragraphs to the Data model section.|
|410||sub||Add a paragraph about the reasons why limiting styles.|
|411||sub||Update line height for lines in regions.|
|417||sub||Unsigned long issue 414|
|420||sub||Cue setting clarifications|
|421||sub||Computed position alignment|
|422||sub||Don't make edge margins depend on aesthetics.|
|423||sub||Region lines cannot be negative now that they are unsigned long.|
Guidelines for Status of comments
Processing by the CG for each comment
A first review raised comments about WebVTT First Public Working Draft dated 13 November 2014.
For each comment, please fill the "status CG" column:
- 1 - Open: Not yet processed by the CG
- 2 - Processing by the CG
2.1- Pending proposal by CG, 2.2- Pending CG resolution, 2.3- Done - CG resolution, 2.4- Done - CG resolution and spec update 2.5- Done with Partial CG resolution, 2.6- Done with Partial CG resolution and spec update 2.7- Done but comment Rejected
- For each comment, please fill the "type" column:
a- typo b- editorial c- substantive d- general comment e- undefined
Processing by the TTWG for each comment
Once the CG has processed all comments, the next steps are:
- 3 - Processing by the TTWG
3.1- CG resolution approved by WG 3.2- Approved and Response drafted 3.3- Response send to commenter 3.4- Response agreed by commenter 3.5- Response rejected by commenter (need more discussion - back to step 2.5) 3.6- Response partially agreed by commenter (need more discussion - back to step 2.5)
Next steps processed by the TTWG
- 4- Publication of a new WebVTT WD to trigger a new and last wide review (on diffs only)and go back to step 1 above in the CG, to process new comments if any.
Final steps processed by the TTWG
- 5 - Disposition of comments edited.
- 6 - WebVTT CR exit criteria resolved
- 7 - WebVTT CR version updated for TR
- 8 - request CR publication with the director
- 9 - if approved by the director, Publish CR
- 10 - Draft and send call for implementation
- 11 - Draft announcement for W3C home page.