Important note: This Wiki page is edited by participants of the EOWG. It does not necessarily represent consensus and it may have incorrect information or information that is not supported by other Working Group participants, WAI, or W3C. It may also have some very useful information.
EOWG F2F March 2018
- 1 Host
- 2 Post-Meeting Summary
- 3 Logistics
- 4 Materials to read in preparation
- 5 Agenda
- 6 Participation
- 7 Archived: Other ideas for potential topics
Pearson. Thanks Brent, Jan, and others who made it happen!
- Denis and team updated on their work over the last year.
- EOWG supports the work, and supports doing it in EOWG.
- Tuesday break out worked on Role Definitions. (Sarah, Robert, ?Nic, @@)
- Role-based topic minutes Monday, Role definitions minutes Tuesday 1, Role definitions minutes Tuesday 1
- Next steps: Denis and folks provide succinct project plan, work through it with EO-Plan, then bring to EOWG for review and approval.
- Accessibility Responsibility Breakdown (previous work)
- Role-Based Decision Tree
- Accessibility Requirements
- Role-Based Accessibility High-Level Goals
- Accessibility Roles Definition Document
- Howard provided background and some research.
- Lots of discussion on scope, wishlist, integrated vs. separate, etc...
- EOWG supports doing more work on providing materials for instructors.
- Tuesday break out worked on refining idea. (Howard, Shadi, Andrew)
- Training topic minutes Monday, Training topic minutes Tuesday
- Next steps: Howard and folks review existing EOWG training resources and provide specific project plan for updating, revising, &/or adding to EOWG training materials.
- E-mail with material from Howard
- Updated doc (Howard sent to EOWG list, but not showing up in the archive)
Website Redesign & New Pages
- Audience pages — Resolution: Rewrite the content with the links first and description/content following (similar to the policy makers page). format in description list (dl)
- Tuesday breakout decided on revisions to address issues. (Eric, Shawn, Sarah)
- Audience pages Minutes
- Next steps: Shawn implement changes to Audience pages
- W3C WAI Website Redesign Information
- new pages:
Open Issues (Policies Updates)
- Addressed several issues on the Web Accessibility Laws & Policies page. (Go Robert!)
- Agreed to defer issues on Tips for Getting Started until we get back into it (since would take thinking to remember context etc). (Denis)
- Policies minutes Monday, Policies edit minutes
- RESOLUTION: For now, put Canadian provinces, Australian states and territories, US states, on country page. Later, will do separate
- Next Steps:
- Andrew, Sarah file GitHub issue on Australia update.
- ?Robert, ?Shadi, ?other follow up on Issues 205 related to UN CRPD
Selecting Authoring Tools Requirements Analysis
- Group discussed scope and audience. Decided to focus (at least 2) different documents.
- Tuesday breakout refined Requirements Analysis based on Monday's input. (Nic, Shadi)
- Selecting Authoring Tools minutes
- Next steps: On holding pending potential funded editor.
- Selecting Authoring Tools Requirements Analysis (edited Tuesday after EOWG discussion on Monday)
Integrating user stories
- Discussed integrating user stories / personas - general and specific - mobile, digital publishing, cognitive and learning disabilities, other? (Shawn)
- Decision for short-term: If you're creating mini personas/user stories (e.g., in mobile intro), and we already have a user story with that disability, and it makes sense for that user to do that thing in that environment, then use that same name.
- User stories / personas minutes
- Next steps: Leave on "wishlist" — big project that will need dedicated people-resources to take on.
Understanding WCAG 2.1 docs
- Several docs ready for EOWG editorial input. Shadi & Norah will coordinate.
- Understanding 2.1 minutes
- Next steps: Shadi and Norah are coordinating
- Discussed plan to have simple overview page, sub-pages, and printout (ideally 1-page).
- General agreement that non-web use case won't work.
- Still wanting more case studies.
- Need footnotes to support statements.
- RESOLUTION: order:
- Support Diversity and Inclusion
- Drive Innovation
- Align with Global Web Standards
- Minimize Legal Risk
- Business Case minutes
- Next steps:
- Sharron revise based on input.
- All help with case studies.
Meeting location: Kimpton Solamar Hotel, 435 6TH Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101
Meeting Room: Solana
- 15% lodging discount for meeting participants - Use the Orange "Book Now" dropdown menu at the top right of the home page and enter Corporate ID #100232924 when selecting dates. Once you select a specific type of room, the top rate will be the "Your Preferred Rates" which is the discounted cost. Or you can call the hotel directly and let them know about the ID# for a discount when booking.
- Please let the Planning Team know if you have specific dietary needs for Breakfast and Lunch provided at the meeting.
Observers are welcome, with permission of the chairs.
Materials to read in preparation
- Role-based accessibility (Denis, Bill, Sean)
- Curriculum (Howard, Kris Anne)
- Feedback and input on WAI website redesign beta (Eric, Shawn)
- Selecting Authoring Tools (Nic)
- Open GitHub issues for EOWG discussion (Brent, Sharron)
- Integrating user stories general and specific (mobile, digital publishing, coga, other?) (Shawn)
Monday 19 March 2018
See links above to materials.
(Agenda revised as we went along.)
- 8:15 - 8:45 — Breakfast
- 8:45 - 9:00 — Introductions
- 9:00 - 10:30+ — Role-based accessibility (Denis, Bill, Sean) - discuss existing work outside of EOWG and if EOWG wants to pick it up
- 10:55 - 11:35 — WAI website redesign beta feedback and input (Eric, Shawn) - discuss Issue 3 and other issues brought up
- 11:30 - 12:00 — Open GitHub issues for EOWG discussion (Brent, Sharron)
- 12:00 - 12:45 — lunch
- 12:45 - 2:25 — Curriculum (Howard, Kris Anne) - discuss potential new work for EOWG
- 2:45 - 3:40 — Selecting Authoring Tools (Nic) - discuss draft new Requirements Analysis and input for significant revision
- 4:00 - 4:40 — Integrating user stories general and specific (mobile, digital publishing, coga, other?) (Shawn)
- 4:40 - 5:05 — Planning tomorrow's work sessions (including Understanding docs)
Evening: EO dinner
Tuesday 20 March 2018
- 8:30 — Breakfast available
- 9:00 - 10:00 — Work session 1:
- Selecting Authoring Tools (Nic, Shadi)
- Policies (Robert)
- Training Suite (revisions) (Howard, Andrew, Jillian)
- WAI site (Shawn, Eric, Sarah)
- 10:00 - 11:00 — Work session 2:
- Curriculum (Howard, Shadi)
- Role definitions (Andrew?, Sarah, Robert, Jillian)
- Training Suite (Andrew?, Shawn)
- 11:30 - 12:00 — Report on work sessions, plan afternoon work sessions
- 12:00 - 1:00 — Lunch
- 1:00 - 2:00 — Work session 3:
- Understanding WCAG 2.1 orientation (15 mins)
- Role definitions
- Training suite updates
- 2:15 - 3:30 — Work session 4:
- Business Case (Sharron, Jillian, all)
- 3:30 - 4:00 — Debrief work sessions, and plan next steps
Tuesday Work Session Planning
Breakout groups work collaboratively on resources.
- Training Resource Suite updates (Andrew, Shawn) +Howard
- Curriculum (Howard) +Shadi?
- Role definitions (Denis not here but happy without him) +Andrew, +Sarah +Bri? +Robert
- Selecting Authoring Tools (Nic) +Eric +Shadi?
- Redesign IA & navigation +Howard +Sarah +Bri? +Eric +Shawn +Robert
- Policy (Robert) +Andrew
- Business Case (Sharron/Bri)
- Understanding WCAG 2.1 docs (Shadi)
Attending in person
Attending Monday and Tuesday:
- Norah (not sure/pending approval)
- Sharron (half day, both days)
- Andrew Arch (except 10-11 Tuesday)
- Sarah Pulis
- Bri Norton - Monday all day + Tuesday morning (Guest - Capgemini Australia)
Attending Monday only:
- Brent Bakken
- Chris O'Brien
- Denis Boudreau (already committed to something else on Tuesday)
- Kris Anne Kinney (flying in on Monday morning, I will be there ASAP)
Attending Tuesday only:
We are currently not planning to have a phone connection. If you strongly want to participate by phone, please let us know asap.
- Laura: Monday all day
Archived: Other ideas for potential topics
All ideas welcome for discussion, please add yours.
- [summary — description (name)]
- Selecting Authoring Tools — Selecting and Using Authoring Tools for Web Accessibility needs significant updating and revision. Maybe would be good to have conceptual discussion at F2F *if* we have an editor ready to take it on and they can have a draft Requirements Analysis before the F2F. Here is old Changelog with very limited Requirements Analysis. Here's Example Requirements Analysis (Shawn from charter)
- outreach — (Shawn, Brent from charter)
- presentations — Approach to updating the old presentations. Probably needs EO-Plan first, not F2F discussion. (Shawn from charter)
- Better Web Browsing — Better Web Browsing: Tips for Customizing Your Computer needs significant updating - but probably not need f2f discussion (Shawn from charter)
- Easy Checks — Easy Checks Next Generation Not sure if there's anything to talk about yet? (Shawn from charter)
- Training Suite — Developing Web Accessibility Presentations and Training content updates. Need to check with Vivienne and Andrew if there are significant things that would be good at F2F, or fine for weekly meetings. (Shawn from charter)
- Translations — ui, parameters (Shawn from charter)
- (moonshot) Writing Style — Invite Ashley Bischoff (http://friendlyediting.com) to tell us a bit about good writing, maybe she would be willing to take a look at a tutorial page to show us what we're doing wrong :-D (Eric)