The mission of the Spatial Data on the Web Working Group is to clarify and formalize the relevant standards landscape. In particular:
- to determine how spatial information can best be integrated with other data on the Web;
- to determine how machines and people can discover that different facts in different datasets relate to the same place, especially when 'place' is expressed in different ways and at different levels of granularity;
- to identify and assess existing methods and tools and then create a set of best practices for their use;
where desirable, to complete the standardization of informal technologies already in widespread use.Data Activity and is explicitly chartered to work in collaboration with the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC), in particular, the Spatial Data on the Web Task Force of the Geosemantics Domain Working Group. Formally, each standards body has established its own group with its own charter and operates under the respective organization's rules of membership, however, the 'two groups' will work together very closely and create a set of common outputs that are expected to be adopted as standards by both W3C and OGC and to be jointly branded.
Information about each deliverable is recorded in a separate page
- Use Cases and Requirements
- SDW Best Practices
- OWL Time Ontology
- Semantic Sensor Network Ontology
- Coverages in Linked Data
- Rec Track documents (SSN and OWL)
- New drafts expected January 2017 following December 2016 F2F.
- Transition to CR expected immediately after March F2F
- UCR (Note)
- Completed, no further work planned
- BP document (Note)
- New version expected January 2017 then every 6 weeks or so through to March 2017. Although a Note, evidence of implementation will be gathered.
- Detailed planning BP document
- Coverages (3 Notes)
- FPWDs expected January 2017 (following F2F in December 2016).
- Wish List A list of work items the WG would like to see taken up by a future group.
- github index for all deliverables
- how to work with GitHub
- Glossary of terms
- Ontology Design Principles
- Technology Talks
- Coordinate Reference Systems
- Spatial Data Formats Catalog
Infrastructure & Contacts
The WG's main communication channel is its mailing list. This is publicly archived but only WG members may post to it.
The WG creates and maintains editors' drafts in its GitHub Repository.
WG co-chairs: Kerry Taylor, Australian National University, and Ed Parsons, Google
Team contacts: Phil Archer (W3C), Scott Simmons (OGC)
You can contact the chairs and team directly via <firstname.lastname@example.org>
See the separate Meetings page for links to agendas, minutes, dial in details etc.
Next Face to Face meeting: OGC TC Meeting in Delft, NL. March 20-24 2017
The WG is expected to hold face to face meetings twice a year, typically at OGC TC meetings and W3C TPAC.
See also the program of Technology Talks
Publications, Presentations, Media about the Working Group
- K Taylor, E Parsons, Where Is Everywhere: Bringing Location to the Web Internet Computing, IEEE 19 (2), 83-87 2015
- Three part blog about the SDWWG by Frans: http://www.geodan.com/spatial-data-web/