TPAC/2019/SessionIdeas

From W3C Wiki
< TPAC‎ | 2019
Jump to: navigation, search

You are invited to propose TPAC 2019 Technical Plenary Day breakout sessions in advance of the meeting. Booking closes on Tuesday, September 17th at 5 pm local time.

See the TPAC 2019 FAQ for more information. The draft session grid is at https://w3c.github.io/tpac-breakouts/sessions.html.

Contents

How to use this page

Please use this page to:

  • Propose sessions you wish you lead
  • Propose sessions you wish others to lead (it's a good idea to let them know ahead of time)
  • Indicate whether you plan to attend a session (helps with scheduling)
  • Please place new proposal at the bottom of this document

How to propose a session

Please provide:

    • session name (as a === subhead === )
    • session proposer (yourself, if so sign using 4 tildes; optional: name a desired session leader) and an email address
    • one sentence session summary
    • type of session: (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.)
    • goals of session
    • additional speakers/panelists (to help reduce conflicts when one person is needed in more than one place)
    • any timing constraint you already know (e.g. you expect to invite someone in a different time zone)
    • if you can guess, whether you'll need a {big | medium | small} room (we can't guarantee you'll get it, however)
    • add an "Interested" bullet for people to sign up for sessions

From an idea to a breakout

The goal is to have a near-final breakout sessions schedule by the night before the plenary (Tuesday, September 17th).

This ensures a more inclusive process in how the breakout sessions are defined and scheduled (thus avoiding any mad scramble). An HTML and mobile-friendly filled-out session grid for the day’s breakout sessions will be generated by the Team. Read more in our FAQ.

Proposed sessions

EXAMPLE session with session name

  • Proposer: ~~~~ (Instruction: remove <nowiki> and </nowiki> around the tildas. Explanation: The 4 tildas will sign YOUR name and include a timestamp of your proposal.)
  • Email address of proposer:
  • Summary (one-sentence or so):
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.):
  • Goals:
  • [optional] shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout)
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • [optional] Timing constraint: (e.g. you expect to invite someone in a different time zone)
  • [optional] Estimated room capacity: {big | medium | small} room

ReSpec - so many new features!

  • Proposer: Marcos Cáceres
  • Email address of proposer: mcaceres@mozilla.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Covering all the exciting advancements we've made in the last year, including automatic cross references, smart citations, MDN integration, and more!
  • Type of session: talk and open discussion
  • Goals: Introduce Editors to new features.
  • shortname: #pub
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Sid Vishnoi, Kagami Sascha Rosylight
  • [optional] Estimated room capacity: medium room

Japan Language Requirements Task Force: Evolving the JLReq document

  • Proposer: Nathaniel McCully (talk) 16:29, 2 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address: nmccully@adobe.com
  • Summary: Explanation of the JLReq v2 effort currently underway, and a glimpse into the roadmap of a v3, that seeks to serve the needs of developers of layout engines for modern, dynamic media that support high-quality Japanese layout
  • Type of session: talk
  • Goals: To inform that this is happening, and get more people interested in the issues of high-end Japanese typography and layout in the context of responsive modern digital media.
  • shortname: jlreq

Results from MDN Developer Survey

  • Proposer: Dominique Hazaël-Massieux (talk) 06:52, 5 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address: dom@w3.org
  • Summary: Meet the MDN Product Advisory Board and discuss how the results of the MDN Developer Survey can impact W3C's agenda
  • Type of session: short talk & discussion
  • Goals: Bring input to the MDN Product Advisory Board to see how MDN documentation can evolve to better meet the need from the W3C community; learn about the MDN Developer Survey and discuss what conclusions to draw from its results in terms of the W3C standardization agenda
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Kadir Topal, Dan Appelquist, Jory Burson, Travis Leithead, Joe Medley
  • shortname: mdn
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room
  • Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2019/09/18-mdn-minutes.html

Mini App Standardization

  • Proposer: Angel Li 10:14, 14 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address: angelli.laq@alibaba-inc.com
  • Summary: Meet the major Mini App players, introduction of Mini App white paper drafted by W3C Chinese IG, discuss the way forward for Mini App Standardization in W3C.
  • Type of session: short talk & discussion
  • Goals: help the global web community to better understand Mini App and the value of its standardization, find proper way to move forward in W3C.
  • shortname: MiniApp
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room (note: polycom to support remote attendees if possible)
  • Interested: Chris Lilley (talk) 13:54, 27 August 2019 (UTC)

Web Packaging

(Including Signed Exchanges and Bundles.)

  • Proposer: Jeffrey Yasskin (talk) 18:41, 14 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: jyasskin@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discuss W3C feelings about the [Web Packaging proposal](https://github.com/WICG/webpackage).
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Short talk & discussion
  • Goals: Ensure everyone knows the state of the IETF discussion and the Chromium implementation; recruit collaborators; discover concerns and needed changes; get advice about what route through the W3C/WHATWG processes to follow.
  • shortname: wpack
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Kinuko Yasuda
  • Timing constraint: TBD
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room
  • Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2019/09/18-wpack-minutes.html

A target privacy threat model for the Web

  • Proposer: Jeffrey Yasskin (talk) 19:04, 14 August 2019 (UTC) (However, I'd love to have someone else lead this.)
  • Email address of proposer: jyasskin@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Proposals for new features often encounter resistance from folks who want the Web Platform to defend its users' privacy better than it does today. This often surprises the authors of those proposals, who were designing against the Web's current, implicit, and weak privacy threat model. Making our privacy goals explicit could avoid those surprises and reduce the load on privacy reviewers.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Open discussion
  • Goals: Explore the interest in developing a target privacy threat model for the Web.
  • shortname: privthreatmodel
  • Additional speakers/panelists: [Your name here]
  • Timing constraint:
morning session would be preferable for East Coast remote attendees -- Nick Doty (talk)

Next Generation TextTrackCue

JS Built-In Modules

  • Proposer: Devin Rousso (talk) 22:05, 15 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: dcrousso@apple.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): introduction to the concept of JS Built-In Modules, as well as an overview of the currently proposed governance model
  • Type of session: talk
  • Goals: disseminate knowledge of JS Built-In modules to other hosts built on top of JavaScript (e.g. web browsers), and introduce the proposed governance model to potential stakeholders of additional JS Built-In Module namespaces (e.g. web:)
  • Additional speakers: Michael Saboff <msaboff@apple.com> (call-in TC39 proposal champion)
  • Timing constraint: friendly towards PST
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room
  • shortname: jsbuiltin

WebTransport status and next steps

  • Proposer: Peter Thatcher
  • Email address of proposer: pthatcher@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discuss WebTransport API and next steps for a WG or CG
  • Type of session: short talk (maybe demo too) & discussion
  • Goals: Ensure everyone is up to date on the latest API, implementation status, and interaction with the IETF (link to mailing list; link to DISPATCH minutes); determine when and how we should create a WG or CG; discuss advanced API topics such as how best to use WHATWG streams, how to handle congestion control, and stream prioritization
  • Shortname: webtransport
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room
  • Interested:

Web stories

  • Proposer: Coralie Mercier (talk) 15:45, 20 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: coralie@w3.org
  • Summary: Feedback and brainstorming for (re)introducing the Web Consortium to the public. The W3C Comm team wants to get background stories from our Members and community about how they were drawn to the Web (before the Web, or their first involvement with the Web). There is a path for how everyone in our community has come to the Web, what they see happening now and what they see in the future.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: We want to gather stories in order to tell a compelling story to the public. W3C Comm team may use this as part of an upcoming crowdfunding campaign.
  • shortname: webstories
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room
  • Interested:
    • ...

WebGPU

  • Proposer: Myles C. Maxfield
  • Email address of proposer: mmaxfield@apple.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Update on the progress of WebGPU, and group discussion about future directions and what to focus on
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Talk and open discussion
  • Goals: Help people understand the direction that WebGPU is going, and get feedback from the broader community
  • [optional] shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): webgpu
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Dean Jackson, anyone else in the CG
  • [optional] Estimated room capacity: medium room?

DataCue and "Time marches on" in HTML

  • Proposers: Chris Needham (talk) 11:45, 22 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposers: chris.needham@bbc.co.uk
  • Summary: The DataCue API for media-synchronised metadata and interactivity events is part of HTML5, but not implemented across all browsers, and existing implementations vary. There are also issues with the time marches on algorithm in HTML for triggering timed interactivity events
  • Type of session: talk and open discussion
  • Goals: To advance the DataCue API design between media experts and browser developers, and discuss how to improve synchronisation of media and associated content on the web
  • Shortname: #datacue
  • Timing constraint: Please avoid overlap with the Next Generation TextTrackCue breakout, as it's largely the same participants
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room

Portals (status and next steps)

  • Proposer: Jeremy Roman (talk) 18:44, 22 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: jbroman@google.com
  • Summary: Discuss Portals and next steps for a WG or CG. Portals allow for seamless navigation between different documents, same and cross origin, embedded or not. See hands-on article and WICG repository.
  • Type of session: short talk (possibly a few demos) followed by discussion
  • Goals: Ensure everyone is up to date on the latest proposed API, implementation status, use cases and interest from developers; determine what are the next steps, and concerns if any; discuss advanced API topics or use cases.
  • Shortname: portals
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room

Ad Measurement and Privacy

  • Proposer: John Wilander
  • Email address of proposer: wilander@apple.com
  • Summary: We will discuss Apple's proposed and implemented Private Click Measurement and Google's proposed Click Through Conversion Measurement.
  • Type of session: Open discussion
  • Goals: Discuss the open issue of fraud detection and what is required to ship this feature.
  • Estimated room capacity: Medium room
  • shortname: ad-privacy

Input for workers/worklets

  • Proposer: Navid Zolghadr (talk) 14:16, 26 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: nzolghadr@chromium.org, majidvp@chromium.org
  • Summary: Towards exposing input events to Workers and Worklets.
  • Type of session: Open discussion
  • Goals: Discuss use cases and implications, brainstorm the API
  • shortname: workerinput
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Majid Valipour
  • Estimated room capacity: medium

Privacy Budget

  • Proposer Brad Lassey
  • Email address of the proposer: lassey@google.com
  • Summary: Chrome proposed a "privacy budget" to limit the ability for websites to fingerprint users. We's like to have a discussion around this proposal and its implications.
  • Type of session: Open discussion
  • Goals: Determine interest level from implementers, discuss concerns.
  • Shortname: privacybudget
  • Estimated room capacity: medium
  • Interested:

Trust Tokens

  • Proposer: Brad Lassey
  • Email address of the proposer: lassey@google.com
  • Summary: Cloudflare proposed the concept of the Privacy Pass protocol to avoid repeatedly showing captchas to Tor users and Chrome expanded on the idea to propose a more general purpose Trust Token API for conveying user trust between parties in order to prevent fraud.
  • Type of session: Open discussion
  • Goals: Determine interest level from implementers, discuss concerns.
  • Shortname: trusttokens
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Michael Kleber
  • Estimated room capacity: medium
  • Interested:

OpenJS Foundation Collaboration

  • Proposer: Jordana Burson (talk) 14:28, 28 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: jory@bocoup.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Members of the OpenJS Foundation cross project council would like to propose a 'BoF' conversation about how to build and strengthen healthy collaborations between foundation projects and W3C groups.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: Discuss efforts underway in the foundation to recruit participation from our project communities into various W3C efforts. Discuss opportunities for cross-org collaboration. Highlight areas where OpenJSF projects would be additive to W3C.
  • [optional] shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): openjs
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Christian Bromann, Brian Kardell, Dan Appelquist, Tobie Langel
  • [optional] Timing constraint: (e.g. you expect to invite someone in a different time zone): none
  • [optional] Estimated room capacity: {big | medium | small} room: small

Supporting privacy-focused ads selection

  • Proposer: Michael Kleber (talk) 00:40, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of the proposer: kleber@google.com
  • Summary: Discussion of various ideas for how browsers could support ad selection use cases which today rely on users having a consistent cross-site identity. Chrome has explainers out for "Federated Learning of Cohorts" (FLoC) and "Private Interest Groups, Including Noise (PIGIN)".
  • Type of session: Open discussion
  • Goals: Determine interest level from implementers, discuss concerns.
  • Shortname: adselection
  • Estimated room capacity: medium
  • Interested:

XR Accessibility

  • Proposer: Joshue O Connor (talk) 14:11, 29 August 2019 (UTC)Joshue O Connor
  • Email address: joconnor@w3.org
  • Summary: Explore how to grow a broader accessibility community in the areas of XR (Virtual and Augmented Reality).
  • Type of session: Talk and Open Discussion
  • Goals: Figure out how to bring together the accessibility community to build capability, collaboration and community engagement in developing standards that address the challenges of making Virtual and Augmented Reality accessible.
  • Shortname: xra11y
  • Additional speakers/panelists: TBD
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room

Standardizing user activation behavior

  • Proposer: Mustaq Ahmed (talk) 14:15, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: mustaq@google.com
  • Summary: We are proposing to replace the user activation model implied by the current HTML spec with a simple-to-implement model because the current model doesn't reflect the reality (https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/1903).
  • Type of session: Open discussion
  • Goals: Trying to reach consensus on our proposed change to the spec (https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/3851).
  • shortname: user-activation
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Domenic Denicola
  • Timing constraint: Pacific Time Zone friendly if possible, for remote participation.
  • Estimated room capacity: medium

WebCodecs

  • Proposer: Peter Thatcher (talk) 01:04, 30 August 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: pthatcher@google.com
  • Summary: Discuss WebCodecs (https://discourse.wicg.io/t/webcodecs-proposal/3662)
  • Type of session: short talk (maybe demo too) & discussion
  • Goals: Get input from potential users of the API to see what use cases we need to make sure are well supported, as well as from experts of codecs.
  • Shortname: webcodecs
  • Estimated room capacity: small room
  • Interested:

Bullet Chatting

  • Proposer: Song Xu (talk)
  • Email address of proposer: xusong@migu.cn
  • Summary: Introduce what Bullet Chatting is, and introduce the Bullet Chatting proposal drafted by W3C Chinese Interest Group. Discuss the way forward for Bullet Chatting standardization in W3C.
  • Type of session: talk & discussion
  • Goals: Help the global web community to better understand Bullet Chatting and the value of its standardization, and looking for teams interested in Bullet Chatting standardization, hoping to get some feedback and support, and get advice about what the W3C workflow.
  • Shortname: bulletchat
  • Estimated room capacity: small room (note: polycom to support remote attendees if possible)

Efficient audio/video processing

  • Proposer: François Daoust / Dominique Hazaël-Massieux / 02 September 2019
  • Email address of proposer: fd@w3.org, dom@w3.org
  • Summary: W3C groups (e.g. WebRTC WG, Machine Learning for the Web CG, Audio WG, Media WG, Immersive Web WG) discuss, develop and/or dream about ways to process audio/video streams efficiently. Use cases include barcode reading, face/gesture tracking, emotion analysis, funny hats, background removal or blurring, augmented reality, video overlays, voice effects, or custom codecs. Would it be useful and possible to develop a common mechanism that different APIs could leverage to hook together with streams of media while avoiding useless memory copies? What could such a mechanism look like?
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: Look at use cases and at how they can be implemented today, assess possible performance gains if they were implemented with a more efficient mechanism, refine scope for possible work on the topic, and gauge interest among parties.
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Rijubrata Bhaumik, Paul Adenot, Peter Thatcher, Joshue O Connor
  • Shortname: mediaprocessing
  • Estimated room capacity: medium
  • Interested:

HTML 3D Element & Native GLTF

  • Proposer: Zhiqiang Yu, Sushanth Rajasankar
  • Email address: yuzhiqiang5@huawei.com, sushraja@microsoft.com
  • Summary: A proposal on HTML 3D element to bring rich 3D & AR experience to Web with a single line of code. Use cases include on-line shopping, creative advertisement, education, etc. Another related idea is for a scene element proposal https://github.com/immersive-web/proposals/issues/52. Demo prototypes will be provided.
  • Type of session: short talk & discussion
  • Goals: Gauge developer interest in native 3D support in HTML (similar to image/audio/video tag) and looking forward to a wider collaboration with the community, as well as standardization in W3C.
  • shortname: HTML-3D
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room

Voice assistants - opportunities for standardization?

  • Proposer: Phil Archer, GS1 (talk) 09:28, 3 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: phil.archer@gs1.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Voice assistants present exciting new methods to interact with the Web but how can/should we develop standards that benefit all stake holders from start ups to tech giants?
  • Type of session: Discussion
  • Goals: To identify parties most interested in the generic area of voice interaction and to narrow that down to a set of more specific areas of interest. E-commerce? Fact checking? Media streaming? APIs for Skills, More ...
  • [optional] shortname: voice
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Léonie Watson, Mark Hakkinen
  • [optional] Estimated room capacity: small room

Github tools and Bots to assist Chairing

  • Proposer: Ada Rose Cannon (talk) 10:19, 3 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: ada@ada.is
  • Summary: I'm a lazy chair and have created bots and scripts to help me chair, this is to show some of the tools I use to help leverage Github's APIs to help chair. I would also be interested in other tools people use to automate some of their teams.
  • Type of session: Presentation + Discussion
  • Goals: Share tools used.
  • [optional] shortname: groupautomation
  • [optional] Estimated room capacity: small room

WebAuthn network transport discussion

  • Proposer(s): James Barclay, Nick Mooney (talk) 17:02, 3 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Emails: {jbarclay,nmooney}@duosecurity.com
  • Summary: Discuss the development of a new network-based transport as an addition to the WebAuthn specification.
  • Type: talk, open discussion
  • Goals: motivate the need for a network-based WebAuthn transport, discuss how this might look as part of the specification, discuss phishing resistance and proximity
  • Shortname: #webauthnnetwork
  • Estimated room capacity: medium

DID (Decentralized Identifier) Q&A

  • Proposer: Drummond Reed (talk) 17:53, 3 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: drummond.reed@evernym.com
  • Summary: DIDs are a new form of cryptographically-verifiable identifier, and TPAC will host the first meeting of the new W3C DID WG. This is a chance to learn more about DIDs.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: The primary goal is to answer questions about DIDs and help W3C members understand the market interest in this new type of identifier.
  • Shortname: #did
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Dan Burnett, Brent Zendel, Manu Sporny, Christopher Allen, Ken Ebert, Helen Garneau
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room (possibly large depending on level of interest)
  • Scheduling note: please try not to schedule at the same time as the session "A Non-Technical Discussion on DIDs and self-sovereign identity"

UndoManager API

  • Proposer: Wenson Hsieh (talk) 20:28, 3 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: wenson_hsieh@apple.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): The UndoManager API allows web applications to modify the platform undo stack, and scope undo stacks to elements. For more information, refer to the explainer here: https://github.com/whsieh/UndoManager as well as a draft of the spec here: https://rniwa.github.io/undo-api.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk, open discussion
  • Goals: Introduce a proposal for the UndoManager API, which allows web applications to modify and inspect the platform’s undo stack. This has implications for all types of web apps, with particular relevance to editing and productivity apps. We hope to establish context for the UndoManager API, demo a prototype of the API, and gain feedback for our proposal.
  • Shortname: undomanager
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Megan Gardner
  • Estimated room capacity: small room

Linked Data Security

  • Proposer: Manu Sporny (talk) 22:11, 3 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: msporny@digitalbazaar.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Should we standardize: RDF Dataset Canonicalization, Linked Data Proofs, Linked Data Signatures, RSA2019Signature, Ed25519Signature, and if so, on what timeline?
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): open discussion
  • Goals: Determine if certain Linked Data Security technologies are ready for standardization.
  • [optional] ldsec
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Ivan Herman, Gregg Kellogg, Benjamin Young, Robert Sanderson
  • [optional] Timing constraint: Don't overlap with DID session
  • [optional] Estimated room capacity: small

What is the Future of W3C

  • Proposer: Tantek (Mozilla, and former AB member) (Tantek Çelik (talk) 22:58, 3 September 2019 (UTC))
  • Email address of proposer: tantek@cs.stanford.edu
  • Summary: How should W3C evolve to better serve the web community? The AB and AC are discussing changes to its structure, but they need to hear from stakeholders about the mission and the structure designed to achieve it.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • shortname: #future
  • Timing constraint: prefer Pacific Time Zone friendly time if possible for remote participation
  • Estimated room capacity: medium
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Travis Leithead (Microsoft, for Michael Champion who may participate remotely, former AB member), Chris Wilson (Google, AB member)
  • Goals: A discussion to understand the community's level of consensus on fundamental questions:
    • Mission – W3C’s traditional mission statement is “lead the web to its full potential”. Does the community believe W3C’s basic value proposition need updating, perhaps to focus on some combination of documenting how the web actually works, certifying which products comply with the consensus standards, and focusing on the most pressing challenges to the original vision?
    • Leadership – The founding Director is no longer involved with W3C’s day to day operations, but the “Director” has a key role in the process and governance. Would the community be more comfortable with finding another neutral person with considerable expertise who can commit the time to being Director, or delegating tasks such as adjudicating formal objections to some sort of elected council?
    • Staffing – What role or roles should the Team prioritize and focus on? Mechanics of consensus building, or technical guidance on solutions?
  • Interested:

Web of Things PlugFest

  • Proposer: Kazuyuki Ashimura (talk) 17:21, 4 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: ashimura@w3.org
  • Summary: The WoT-IG/WG would like to have its PlugFest demo at 13:30-14:30 to (1) present what kind of demos are included and (2) show actual demos which include various scenarios and combinations of devices/applications for IoT purposes.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Presentaton and Demo
  • Goals: Show what is done by the WoT WG/IG based on the WoT standards to all the TPAC attendees and encourage people to collaborate with the group (and join the group :). This time we'd like to show several different combinations of devices/applications and scenarios based on the WoT specifications. Please see also the PlugFest preparation page.
  • shortname: wot-pf
  • Timing constraint: 13:30-14:30
  • Estimated room capacity: big room
  • Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2019/09/18-wot-pf-minutes.html

Introduction to W3C

  • Proposer: Philippe Le Hégaret (talk) 20:12, 4 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: plh@w3.org
  • Summary: If you're a new Group participant in the W3C, this session will guide you through the W3C labyrinth and allow you to contribute to the Web
  • Type of session: talk, tutorial, open discussion
  • Goals: Make sure attendees are up-to-speed on how to participate in their Groups, get familiar with various documentations and tools used by W3C, including GitHub.
  • shortname: #w3c-intro
  • Timing constraint: none
  • Estimated room capacity: small room

Standardizing 360 video

  • Proposer: Samira Hirji (talk)
  • Email address of proposer: Samira.Hirji@microsoft.com
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: Bring awareness to current challenges of playing spherical video content and discuss options for standardizing.
  • shortname: #360video
  • Timing constraint: none
  • Estimated room capacity: small room

For a More Capable Web—Project Fugu

  • Proposer: Thomas Steiner (talk), Anssi Kostiainen (talk), John Jansen
  • Email addresses of proposers: tomac@google.com, anssi.kostiainen@intel.com, john.jansen@microsoft.com
  • Summary: To remain relevant with native/hybrid/mini apps, web apps, too, need access to a comparable set of APIs. In this session, we briefly touch upon the APIs being worked on by the cross-company Capabilities Project (aka. Project Fugu), and then open the floor for an open discussion on why we see the browser-accessible web in danger if we don’t move it forward now, despite all fully acknowledged challenges around privacy, security, and compatibility.
  • Type of session: Open discussion
  • Goals: The session strives to explain our sense of urgency for keeping the web an attractive application platform given fierce competition. The main objective is building an understanding of the arguments of multiple sides: those who argue the web can’t compete if it’s not equally capable, and those who argue this is not an option for reasons including, but not limited to, privacy or security.
  • Shortname: capable-web
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room

A Non-Technical Discussion on Decentralized Identifier (DIDs) & Self-Sovereign Identity (SSI)

  • Proposer: Helen Garneau (talk) 16:48, 6 September 2019 (UTC)Hgarneau
  • Email address of proposer: Helen Garneau | helen@sovrin.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): DIDs are disruptive new technology possessing the possibility to overturn the status quo of data exchange across all industry verticals. But how do we explain this to policy makers, budget decision makers, and customers? Let's discuss how to bring this tech into the non-tech narrative.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: The primary goal is to have a non-technical discussion about DIDs and prepare W3C members with the messaging they need to make the case publicly for this new type of identifier.
  • Shortname: #didtalk
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Drummond Reed, Ken Ebert
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room
  • Scheduling note: Please don't schedule at same time as DID Q&A session.

JSON-LD 1.1 Update

  • Proposer: Gregg Kellogg (talk) 17:07, 6 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: gregg@greggkellogg.net
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Update on JSON-LD since the 1.0 recommendation, focusing on new features.
  • Slides: http://json-ld.org/presentations/JSON-LD-Update-TPAC-2019/.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk
  • Goals: The goal is to give users of JSON-LD 1.0 an update on features in the forthcoming JSON-LD 1.1 release, and what the impact on publishing and processing documents may be.
  • IRC #json-ld
  • Estimated room capacity: small room

Introducing: Audiobooks!

  • Proposer: Wendy Reid (talk) 19:58, 6 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: wendy.reid@rakuten.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Introducing the work of the Publishing Working Group on our Audiobooks specification. If you're interested in audiobooks, podcasts, or just publishing, come join us.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Talk with discussion
  • Goals: Introduce the W3C to the work of the Publishing Working Group, get more feedback on our efforts, raise awareness.
  • [optional] #pwg-audio (this channel exists already)
  • [optional] Estimated room capacity: small room

Digital Transformation, the Sentient Web and Cognitive Agents

  • Proposer: Dave Raggett (talk)
  • Email address of proposer: dsr@w3.org
  • Summary: Framing the aims and challenges for the Digital Transformation of industry, the emergence of the Sentient Web and new approaches to cognitive agents based upon decades of progress in Cognitive Psychology that pave the way for a new paradigm for AI, focusing on human oriented computing.
  • Type of session: Talk with discussion and demos
  • Goals: Introduce the W3C to opportunities for addressing Digital Transformation with graph data and rules, together with highly scalable graph algorithms and AI/ML
  • Shortname: #digital-transformation
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room
  • Interested:

Process 2020

  • Proposer: fantasai, plh, dsinger, Florian Rivoal (talk) 07:09, 9 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: tpac@florian.rivoal.net
  • Summary: Discussion of Process2020 Proposals (continuous development, registries)
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: Get feedback from community and develop consensus on Process2020 proposals
  • shortname: #w3process
  • Estimated room capacity: big or medium room

Building a Smartweb Powered by Blockchain

  • Proposer: Rong Chen
  • Email address of proposer: chenrong@elastos.org
  • Summary: A Smartweb has its own DIDs, browsers, micro-websites, and instant mini-apps; but has no explicit IP addresses, nor communication protocols, to prevent network attacks or 3rd party apps from stealing users data.
  • Type of session: talk & open discussion
  • Goals: Proposing a New Web that Runs Apps to the W3C
  • shortname: #smartweb
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Yipeng Su, Jingyu Niu
  • Estimated room capacity: big room
  • Interested:

Authentication by Communication Network

  • Proposer: Jia Qiang (Bill)
  • Email address of proposer: jiaqiang@chinamobile.com
  • Summary: Introduce what Telecom Authentication is, and introduce the security risks and solutions of Telecom Authentication, especially when using WEB, instead of client, to authenticate.
  • Type of session: talk & discussion
  • Goals: Introduce Telecom Authentication to the global web community, to help a better understanding of Telecom Authentication and how the Telecom Authentication is applied by telecom operators. From those teams who are interested in Telecom Authentication standardization, hope to share visions and experiences. Any advices is favourable.
  • Shortname: telecom-authn
  • Estimated room capacity: small room (with projector )

A new approach to large DOM and virtual scrollers using rendersubtree

  • Proposer: Fergal Daly (talk) 09:25, 11 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: fergal@chromium.org
  • Summary: Describe our work on using display locking/rendersubtree to prototype the virtual-scroller custom element that allows large amounts of content to be present in the DOM without causing performance problems (the name may change since it's not actually JSON-DOM virtualization). This is in contrast to traditional virtualization which achieves performance by keeping most of the content outside of the DOM. By keeping content in the DOM, we retain accessibility, indexability and in-page find.
  • Type of session: talk & discussion
  • Goals: Raise awareness and start discussion about this problem and solution. Demonstrate a use of rendersubtree.
  • Shortname: virtual-scroller
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room (with projector)
  • Additional speakers/panelists: chrishtr@chromium.org, domenic@chromium.org, rakina@chromium.org, vmpstr@chromium.org
  • Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2019/09/18-virtual-scroller-minutes.html

WebRTC Insertable Streaming Codecs

Moved to "efficient audio/video processing" breakout

Registries at the W3C

  • Proposer: David Singer (talk) 16:56, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: singer@apple.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discuss the proposals for formalizing Registries at the W3C
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): discussion
  • Goals: connect with people/groups that need Registries, to explore how they could work with the proposed formalization
  • Shortname: #registries
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Florian Rivoal, Elika Etemad
  • Estimated room capacity: medium? room

Improving Spoken Presentation of Content

  • Proposer: Mark Hakkinen Irfan Ali
  • Email address of proposer: mhakkinen@ets.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Assistive Technology users are just one beneficiary of improved spoken presentation of Web content. Learn about why this is important and emerging approaches from the APA Pronunciation Task Force.
  • Type of session: talk and open discussion
  • Goals: Raise awareness, exchange ideas, and encourage participation in the pronunciation task force.
  • shortname: #pronunciation
  • Additional speakers/panelists: TBD
  • [optional] Estimated room capacity: small room

Personalization of Web Content

  • Proposer: Charles LaPierre (talk) 19:01, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: charlesl@benetech.org
  • Summary: People have very different needs. some people can not do numeric information, but others prefer numbers to words, some people with severe language disabilities use of symbols to represent words, but one of the main challenges is transforming content for these different needs. We are working on an extreme personalization standard that let people with cognitive and learning disabilities join the online community and share information and communicate across groups. Are there more use-cases and new user groups for this technology?

Here are our Use Case Examples. Here is a link to our latest working draft of our explainer document

  • Type of session: Demo and open discussion
  • Goals: Find additional use cases, and see if we could be using a better mechanism.
  • shortname: #personalization
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Janina Sajka, Lisa Seeman
  • Timing constraint: Will try to include Lisa Seeman (UTC+2) possibly Steve Lee (UTC+1)
  • Estimated room capacity: small room

WebRTC combined with IMS

  • Proposer: Baoping Cheng,Yefeng Xia
  • Email address: chengbaoping@cmhi.chinamobile.com, xiayefeng@cmhi.chinamobile.com
  • Summary: A proposal on networking scheme for deploying WebRTC end-to-end real-time audio and video communication applications in SIP-based IMS network architecture.At present, WebRTC related standard documents are also being revised. There are also many imperfections in deploying WebRTC-based audio and video real-time communication applications in IMS networks.With the continuous improvement of relevant standards and technologies, the combination of WebRTC technology and IMS will renew a stronger life.
  • Type of session: short talk & discussion
  • Goals: With the continuous improvement of WebRTC related standards and technologies, the combination of WebRTC technology and IMS will renew more vitality.
  • shortname: WebRTC & IMS
  • Estimated room capacity: small room
  • Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2019/09/18-webrtc-ims-minutes.html

Multiscreen/foldables

  • Proposer: Daniel Libby
  • Email address: dlibby@microsoft.com
  • Summary: Discuss series of related proposals in the multiscreen/foldables area
  • Type of session: Discussion
  • Goals: Rationalize existing proposals to ensure we're on the same page for primitives that should be exposed to the Web.
  • shortname: #multiscreen
  • Estimated room capacity: small room

Images on the Web

  • Proposer: Cyril Concolato
  • Email address: cconcolato@netflix.com
  • Summary: discuss evolutions of image formats on the Web
  • type of session: open discussion
  • Goals: Discuss the growing overlap between video formats and codecs, and image formats and codecs (e.g. AV1 AVIF, HEVC HEIF, MIAF) and the consequences for browsers, content providers and users.
  • additional speakers/panelists: David Singer
  • no specific timing constraint
  • room size: medium
  • Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2019/09/18-images-minutes.html

Spec Editing Infrastructure

  • Proposer: Tobie Langel
  • Email address: tobie@unlock.com
  • Summary: Open discussion about spec editing infrastructre: what we have (pr-preview, respec, specref, bikeshed, etc), what's missing and how to fund it
  • Type: discussion
  • additional speakers: Marcos Caceres, James Graham, Simon Pieters
  • room size: medium

New Module types: JSON, CSS, HTML

  • Proposer: Daniel Clark (talk) 04:19, 16 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: daniec@microsoft.com
  • Summary: Introduce JSON, CSS, and HTML modules and discuss open issues
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Talk followed by open discussion
  • Goals: Introduce and provide motivation for new JSON, CSS, and HTML module types. Share status of the proposals and implementations. Discuss open design questions.
  • Shortname: new-modules
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room

web-platform-tests update & discussion

  • Proposer: Philip Jägenstedt (talk) 05:09, 16 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: foolip@google.com
  • Summary: web-platform-tests and wpt.fyi are even better than last year. This session gives an update on what's improved, and we're looking for feedback on what you still need.
  • Type of session Short presentation, then open for discussion.
  • Goals: Highlight new capabilities of wpt and wpt.fyi, gather feedback about top pain points for users.
  • Shortname: wpt
  • Estimated room capacity: medium

Edge Computing for the Web

  • Proposer: Dan Druta, Sudeep Divakaran, Song Xu
  • Email address of proposer: dd5826@att.com, sudeep.divakaran@intel.com, xusong@migu.cn
  • Summary: With advancements in edge compute, there is a paradigm shift that has a positive impact on applications architecture that can leverage capabilites like low latency.
  • Type of session Short presentation, then open for discussion.
  • Goals: identify opportunities for web APIs for Edge computing, capitalize on 5G features and look at challenges around security and privacy.
  • Shortname: edge-computing
  • Estimated room capacity: medium

Introducing aria-virtualcontent

  • Proposer: Rossen Atanassov (talk) 05:14, 16 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: ratan@microsoft.com
  • Summary: Introduce a method of making large virtualized content accessible.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Talk followed by open discussion
  • Goals: Introduce and provide motivation for new HTML attribute `aria-vistrualcontent`. Demonstrate what such capability enables. Share some early prototype feedback. Gather feedback and solicit implementer interest.
  • Shortname: aria-virtualcontent
  • Estimated room capacity: medium room

Anti-Homograph-Attacks

  • Proposer: Yoshiro Yoneya (talk) 01:44, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: yoshiro.yoneya@jprs.co.jp
  • Summary: IDN homograph attack is widely used for phishing users to malicious web sites. There are several countermeasures for this attack, but they depend on Web applications' implementations. From the end users' perspective, countermeasures should be common between Web applications to get better user experience. Where is the right place to discuss such countermeasures?
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk and discussion
  • Goals: Get enough attraction of people to form community group and start working.
  • shortname: aha
  • Estimated room capacity: small room
  • Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2019/09/18-aha-minutes.html

Getting text direction into RDF

  • Proposer: Charles 'chaals' (McCathie) Nevile (talk) 04:51, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: charles.nevile@consensys.net
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): RDF text literals do not have direction information. For a small class of strings, this is a big problem. There have been discussions and proposals, and the goal is to frame the problem and find a way to move torward resolving it. See also rdf-dir-literal document.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): discussion
  • Goals:
  • shortname rdf-dir-literal
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:possibly Richard Ishida, Ivan Herman, Omar Alhaddad, Gregg Kellogg, Addison Philipps, ...
  • Atttending: Danbri
  • Timing constraint: (please don't clash with i18n, or mini-apps)
  • Estimated room capacity: small room