TPAC2016/SessionIdeas

From W3C Wiki
< TPAC2016(Redirected from TPAC/2016/SessionIdeas)
Jump to: navigation, search

We encourage attendees to start brainstorming TPAC2016 Wednesday Technical Plenary Day Breakout sessions in advance of the meeting.

The sessions that will make it will be in the breakouts grid, as well as minutes and summaries

See the TPAC 2016 FAQ for more information. See TPAC 2015 Session Ideas.

Note: During TPAC week, working groups may schedule Ad-hoc meetings.

Contents

How to use this page

Please use this page to:

  • Propose sessions you wish you lead
  • Propose sessions you wish others to lead (it's a good idea to let them know ahead of time)
  • Indicate whether you plan to attend a session (helps with scheduling)
  • Please place new proposal at the bottom of this document

How to propose a session

Please provide:

    • session name (as a === subhead === )
    • session proposer (optional: name a desired session leader, can be yourself)
    • one sentence session summary
    • type of session: (e.g.: talk, panel, open discussion, etc.)
    • goals of session
    • additional speakers/panelists

From an idea to a breakout

Breakout preparation (also known as the 'mad scramble') takes place Wednesday 21 September at 09:15-10:00.

The sessions that will make it will be in the breakouts grid, as well as minutes and summaries

Proposed sessions

  • Proposer: Andrew Betts
  • Summary: A CG could bring together publishers and content creators to provide use cases and discuss solutions to improve the web's support for paid content (paywalled news, video, games etc). This session will gauge interest in creating that forum, and discuss how it could be chartered and what value it could offer.
  • Type of session: A brief introduction from Andrew followed by open discussion
  • Goals: Find interested parties to kick off the CG, refine the group's scope, and make a list of potential participants

Privacy compliance in the EU using W3C Tracking Protection

constraint: This breakout needs to take place at 2pm Dial-in info: +1-617-324-0000 or https://mit.webex.com/ Meeting number: 643 129 380

  • Proposer: Matthias Schunter [mts-std@schunter.org], Carl Cargill (chairs), Dave Singer, Roy Fielding (editors) on behalf of the TPWG
  • Session overview: We believe that the emerging EU privacy regulations may impact cookie handling and tracking. We also believe that the TPWG Candidate Recommendations have the potential to simplify compliance with these regulations.

The topics we want to address in this breakout are:

   1. Learn how to implement the Tracking Protection recommendations.
   2. Share implementation experiences and ask questions
   3. Learn about and discuss (emerging) EU privacy regulations
   2. Provide feedback on the draft recommendations
   4. Discuss with us the future of the working group
  • type of session: tutorial + discussion
  • Session goals: Gather TPWG Implementers and TPWG feedback
  • additional speakers/panelists:
    • Summary of EU Privacy Regulations (by Vincent Toubiana, CNIL, France))
    • Tutorial on Implementing TPWG (by Mike O'Neil, Baycloud Systems)

What's new in pubrules and automated publishing

…and, most importantly, what you think should be next.

Room 1.07 (hall 4, first floor), 11:00 Lisbon time ≡ 10:00 UTC.

Presentation.

  • Proposer: Antonio, on behalf of Systeam.
  • Session overview:
    • Quick recap of latest developments about pubrules, automatic publication and related tools.
    • Feedback: ideas, complaints, troubleshooting, biggest obstacles…
    • Inputs for a possible roadmap. Prioritise feature requests.
  • Type of session: open discussion.
  • Session goals:
    • Gather feedback from users; gauge priorities.
    • Present the status of the tools, review recent changes, bring new users on board.
  • Remote participation:

Horizontal review summit

  • Proposer: Michael Cooper, Janina Sajka
  • Session overview: Gather the groups that conduct horizontal review to share challenges and techniques in making effective impact on specifications, and propose ways to improve horizontal review effectiveness. Horizontal review is structured review across specifications for issues that impact broad stakeholder groups. W3C currently conducts horizontal review for accessibility to people with disabilities, architectural principles, internationalization, privacy, and security. This session is primarily oriented at people who engage in horizontal review. People engaged in specification development who would like to learn how to engage with the process or suggest ways to improve the process are also welcome.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • Session goals: Identify challenges to conducting effective and timely horizontal review; share tips review groups use to increase engagement; propose ways to improve the horizontal review process across W3C.

Achieving 5 Star Open Data with PDF

  • Proposer: Leonard Rosenthol & Larry Masinter
  • Summary: We are looking to start a community group to work on a series of best practices (and then leading to more) around the best use of PDF for achieving the full 5 stars of Open Data.
  • Type of session: Presentation about features of PDF focused on open data, followed by an open discussion about how to best use them and how to kick off a CG.
  • Goals: Find a group of people who are interested and willing to help get this CG going and work towards the development of various educational and practical material.

Web of Things PlugFest Demos (Outreach@TPAC)

The following is an initial draft and subject to be updated based on the IG discussion.

  • Proposer: Kaz Ashimura for the WoT IG
  • Session overview: We'll present what "PlugFest" is like in the morning and show actual PlugFest demos in the afternoon.
  • type of session: Presentation (morning; preferably AM2 session) and Demo (afternoon; preferably PM1 session)
  • Session goals: Show what is done by the WoT IG to all the W3C Members and encourage people to collaborate with the group (and join the group :).
  • additional speakers/panelists: PlugFest participants

Web & Virtual Reality

  • Proposer: Anssi Kostiainen, Ningxin Hu, Frank Olivier
  • Session overview: open discussion on the current state and future direction of the Web & VR. WebVR API (GitHub) currently in incubation in the WebVR Community Group (Charter) provides access to Virtual Reality devices, such as the Oculus Rift or Google Cardboard, in your browser. Beyond the WebVR API, there are further opportunities for the web platform to make use of and integrate with VR devices (360 video and images from HTML, VR as progressive enhancement, declarative 3D scenes and 3D scene graph APIs...)
  • type of session: open discussion
  • Session goals: identify opportunities for standardization efforts, gather further input for the upcoming W3C Workshop on Web & Virtual Reality

Security Jam

The session will be dedicated to share the recent progress on security related topics in W3C, coevring at least web crypto and web authentication, and will discuss also tools for security reviews. In addition, participants are expected to share some security features

  • title : Security Jam
  • proposer : Virginie GALINDO
  • session overview : Discuss recent progress on security in W3C and collect new needs
  • style : quick overview of context and open discussion (colorful postit and toffees provided)
  • session goal: socialize recent W3C progress and collect any new need

Advancing Web Platform Application Testing (HTML Testing)

  • Proposer: Dapeng Liu、Charles McCathie Nevile
  • Session overview: We'll present the current status of AWPAT CG and show demo
  • type of session: Presentation, Demo, and open discussion
  • Session goals: Show what is done by the AWPAT CG to all the W3C Members and encourage people to collaborate with the group (and join the group)
  • additional speakers/panelists

Make W3C Great Again

  • Proposer: Dom Hazael-Massieux
  • Session overview: Part of Dom's job will now include making W3C a better place for collaborative work; he thus wants to hear from both newbies and oldtimers what they think are both the greatest barriers but also the many little annoyances to working on specs, test suites and bringing ideas in W3C
  • type of session: open discussion
  • Session goals: Roadmap to making W3C great again
  • additional speakers/panelists

Future of Communications on the Web

scheduled at 3:30pm UTC+1 in 1.07 with remote participation via Webex

  • Proposer: Dom Hazael-Massieux
  • Session overview: The WebRTC 1.0 API has opened the road to make the Web a platform for audio & video communications on the Web; while this provides a great starting point, there are still many other aspects of a successful communication platform that the Web doesn't cover, for instance:
    • keeping connections up when browser is in background
    • integrating a presence mechanism
    • scalability improvements
    • device handover
    • audio priority management (e.g. phone vs webrtc comm)

This session aims at identifying these gaps and determining when and where they might be addressed, or how to continue the conversation about them.

  • type of session: talks + discussions
  • Session goals: identify gaps in the Web as a communication platform
  • additional speakers/panelists:
  • remote participation possible on Webex:

Micro-payments - A new business model for a Web without Ads and tracking

  • Proposer: Adrian Hope-Bailie, on behalf of The Interledger Community Group.
  • Session overview: Brave browser has announced that they are incorporating micro-payments into their browser. The current state of Web payments requires that this system limit itself to using Bitcoin for this purpose. Using an open protocol like Interledger, browsers and content producers could make and accept payments using whatever method they desire without the need for user interaction to select a payment method.

In this session the Interledger Community Group will discuss the experiments it is doing to solve the micro-payments challenge and open up the discussion on prior efforts and what we can do differently this time.

  • Type of session: round table, brainstorming, un-talk (The Interledger CG meets the following day for a deeper dive).
  • Session goals: demonstrate work done to date in the Interledger CG (or any other group), gather ideas, discuss next steps.
  • Additional speakers/panelists: (Andrew Betts?)

Apps or Documents? Manifests, JSON, and the Future of Publications

  • Proposers: Dave Cramer and Tzviya Siegman
  • Summary: Complex documents, like applications, often consist of multiple web resources. But the Web doesn't have much to say about collections of resources. Web documents can link to each other, and link relations let you say a few things about what's on the other end of the link. But you can't easily say two documents are part of a larger entity or this metadata applies to a group of documents.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals of session: Discuss the role of Web App Manifest in apps and publications. Will JSON save us all? What about the future of books in browsers? We'll discuss PWP, BFF, EPUB, and other relevant acronyms.

Positive Work Environment Task Force

  • Proposers: Ann Bassetti and Amy van der Hiel
  • Summary: The W3C Positive Work Environment Task Force would like to get feedback from the W3C community on their concerns and suggestions and to explore our goals and ideals as a community. Discussions may include: revitalizing the TF; Chairs training; best practices; diversity and inclusion; and our aspirations for the kind of community W3C can be.
  • Type of session: open discussion
  • Goals of session: discussion, feedback and community building. We invite members of the community to join and be involved in the TF.

WebIDL Future Work

  • Proposer: Tobie Langel
  • Session overview: The WebIDL spec has just been converted to Bikeshed and gained a new editor in the process. This should increase the pace at which the spec moves. The goal of this session is to collect and understand what the community needs from WebIDL in order to help prioretize the (rather large) backlog of issues and define future work.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • Session goals: collect input and prioretize future work
  • additional speakers/panelists: Domenic Denicola, Anne van Kesteren

Announcing Apache Annotator (incubating)

  • Proposer: Benjamin Young (aka BigBlueHat)
  • Session overview: The Annotator.js community has decided to migrate its work to the Apache Software Foundation (the ASF) where it can continue it's growth within a carefully curated collaborative space that's both corporation and code creation compatible (clearly). The Web Annotation Working Group's specifications are core components to the planned future of the community's planned libraries, tools, and code. There's also untapped implementation opportunity within the ASF for W3C specifications in general and cross communication available via ASF commiters being involved within various Working Groups. It's a collaboration worth strengthening.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • Session goals: collect input and prioritize future work
  • additional speakers/panelists: Nolan Lawson, ______ <--- your name here ;)

HTTPS Migration in Local Network

Standards for Virtual Assistants

  • session proposer: Deborah Dahl
  • summary: In recent years, interaction with voice applications has become much more flexible, with a user-initiated dialog style and significantly fewer constraints on spoken input. Many of these new applications take the form of "virtual assistants". These include general-purpose assistants (for example, Siri, Cortana, Google Now and Alexa) as well as virtual assistants with specialized domain expertise. This session will discuss current and potential standards that will support these types of applications.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • goals of session: Get ideas for the Voice Interaction Community Group and encourage participation.

Fusing User Input and Sensor Data

  • session proposer: Deborah Dahl
  • summary: Web applications can include user input as well as sensor input. There are use cases where it is important to take into account the fusion of both these kinds of input. For example in a medical application the user could provide subjective opinions about their feelings as well as quantitative input from medical sensors. For example, a user might say "I feel light-headed" while a blood sugar sensor provides a blood sugar reading. A uniform representation for user input and sensor data would facilitate the integration of both types of information into a single medical report or diagnosis.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • goals of session: Collect use cases and discuss requirements for this topic.

Mobile Accessibility

  • session proposer: Kepeng Li
  • summary: We want to provide some issues and practices about mobile accessibility, and we can discuss gaps between these practices and existing specifications. After discussion, we can find out if anything is missing from existing specifications and we can provide further inputs to enhance existing spec or write new specs.
  • type of session: talks and open discussion
  • goals of session: Collect issues and practices about mobile accessibility, and discuss gaps and standard opportunities for this topic.

Music Notation Community Group Update

constraint: This breakout needs to take place some time after 2pm

  • Proposer: Joe Berkovitz (joe@noteflight.com) co-chair of the Music Notation Community Group [1].
  • Session overview: Present an overview of current activity in the Community Group, whose mission is to evolve a next generation markup language for Common Music Notation. The intent is to move this effort into a formal standards track in the future. A proposal for harmonizing music markup with other web standards such as CSS and DOM will be presented.
  • type of session: talks and open discussion
  • Session goals: Collect thoughts on how to apply concepts from work on other W3C standards to this goal.

Vocabulary development & management at W3C

The Rec Track process is designed to create ultra-stable specs that you can build software against. This is not always a good fit for the collaborative development and longer term maintenance of vocabularies. schema.org provides a stellar example of success in this regard: a Community Group allows discussion of new terms that are added to the primary namespace via a documented process. How can/should W3C support this kind of process? What kind of process is appropriate for other vocabularies to provide robust stability (this is W3C!) whilst also being responsive? Should Working Groups be able to add to namespaces defined by earlier work? More controversially perhaps, should Community Groups be able to do this? See Adding to W3C RDF Namespaces. What sort of tooling do we need? Hopw can it be paid for in the short term and maintained for the long term?

  • Type of session: quick intro from Amy and Phil, then discussion
  • Relevant to: Web of Things, Semantic Web and more.
  • Session goals: Recommendations for W3C action.

Verifiable Claims Working Group Proposal

It is currently difficult to transmit banking account information, proof of age, education qualifications, healthcare data, and other sorts of verified personal information via the Web. These sorts of data are often referred to as verifiable claims. The mission of the proposed Verifiable Claims Working Group is to make expressing, exchanging, and verifying claims easier and more secure on the Web. Recently, the Web Payments Interest Group put forward a proposal to W3C Management for the formation of a Verifiable Claims Working Group. We'll discuss that proposal in this group as well as invite people to participate in our first face-to-face meeting in Silicon Valley at the end of October 2016.

  • Type of session: Status report followed by discussion
  • Relevant to: Attestations, Credentials, Blockchain, "Identity"
  • Session goals: Educate W3C Members on current status and invite them to participate in the upcoming face-to-face meeting in Silicon Valley
  • Useful Material: Verifiable Claims Working Group Proposal

Redecentralization and Social Web

Redecentralization and Social Web -- Demo Session and What's Next

The Social Web WG, ending in January, has four specs at Candidate Recommendation with several live implementations, and more Working Drafts in the pipeline, moving us toward a Web where people can connect and collaborate without being locked into single-vendor silos. Come see demos, and talk about what should happen next.

  • Type: demos and open discussion
  • Goals: Outreach, feedback on progress, input to possible next charter
  • IRC Log / minutes of demos and discussion
  • Summary - see section "Wednesday demos"

Subtitle format support of TextTrack and TextTrackCue interfaces

  • 13-14h, 1. Floor, Hall 4, Room 1.08
  • Proposers: Andreas Tai
  • Minutes
  • Summary: The TextTrack and TextTrackCue interfaces in HTML 5 are designed to be format independent. Different subtitle and caption formats should be able to make use of them (e.g. WebVTT and TTML). Despite the general HTML design, in practice most TextTrack and TextTrackCue implementations in Web Browsers expect only WebVTT as a subtitle and caption format. To improve interoperability between services that are provided on mobile, PC and connected TV there is a need to bridge a technology gap between the HTML 5 ecosystem and widely adopted subtitle and caption formats.
  • Type: open discussion
  • Goals: Define requirements, clarify status quo and identify opportunities to improve and/or extend standards of the HTML 5 ecosystem.
  • Session: 13-14h, 1. Floor, Hall 4, Room 1.08

Accessibility Object Model

  • Proposers: James Craig (Apple) and Alice Boxhall (Google)
  • Summary: This effort aims to create a JavaScript API to allow developers to modify the accessibility tree for a web page.

Several browser vendors (Google, Apple, Mozilla, etc) have been working on a shared spec (intended for WICG) since January 2016. The spec proposes the Accessibility Object Model. We plan to split this work into four phases, which will respectively allow authors to:

  1. modify the semantic properties of the accessibility node associated with a particular DOM node,
  2. directly respond to events or actions (e.g. increment/decrement) from assistive technology,
  3. create virtual accessibility nodes which are not directly associated with a DOM node (e.g. OpenGL), and
  4. programmatically explore the accessibility tree and access the computed properties of accessibility nodes.

To ensure a reasonable implementation scope, the phases are intended to be implemented serially, rather than concurrently. Later phases may change as use case or implementation needs require. See explainer document: https://github.com/a11y-api/a11y-api/blob/master/explainer.md We welcome feedback from members of the accessibility and web platform community.

  • Type: open discussion
  • Goals: Define requirements, clarify status quo and implementer interest.

How could W3C help global members to participate more effectively?

  • Session Proposers: Angel Li (W3C)
  • Summary: W3C team, together with the Web standard community, has been devoted to enhance global participation ever since the organization was created. Due to the organizational structure and limited resources, the efforts for such a purpose have been in a spontaneous way among the global team of W3C. With the new Global Participation Management Function created by the 2016 W3C Internal Reorganization, more organized and standard practices and processes should be designed to improve the engagement of the global Web community.
  • Goals: This effort aims to identify the challenges and blocks that prevent w3C members to participate in Web standards, to collect suggestions and best practices from members, and share the current plans about processes and practices to enhance global participation with members.
  • Type of session: open discussion

Incubation as the New Normal

  • Session Proposers: Chris Wilson (Google), Rick Byers (Google)
  • Summary: This session is intended to be an open discussion about incubation-first standards, and how the WICG can be used as a vehicle for responsible standardization.
  • Goals: Get the word out on incubation, refine ideas on what's going well/not so well with the WICG.
  • Type of session: open discussion

Art (creative hour)

  • Session Proposers: Coralie Mercier (talk) 16:06, 20 September 2016 (UTC), Ann Bassetti, Virginie Galindo, Brian Kardell
  • Summary: Pencils, sketchbook, watercolours, guitar, etc. Bring your equipment or borrow from someone. We'll devote one hour to art and creativity.
  • Goals: chill, share tips, laugh, and more.
  • Type of session: creative!

Blockchain Use Cases

  • Proposers: Doug Schepers, Marta Piekarska, Mountie Lee
  • Summary: Brief intro to Blockchain, followed by collection, categorization, priotization, and short discussions of Blockchain Community Group use cases
  • Type: open discussion
  • Goals: Define Blockchain CG goals, prioritize agenda topics for upcoming telcons

What is Education and Outreach Working Group?

  • Proposer: Eric Eggert
  • Summary: A brief introduction of what EOWG does, what our activities have been in the last year and how we structure our work going forward. Also there is some insight on how we help other Working Groups to promote their Web Accessibility efforts.
  • Type: Talk with open discussion
  • Goals: Introduce EOWG and our resources to a wider audience, explore further areas of collaboration with other Working Groups
  • Additional Speakers: Sharron Rush and Brent Bakken, EOWG Co-Chairs

Browser Process Isolation

  • Proposer: Mike West
  • Summary: User agents are working towards isolating sites into distinct processes for a variety of reasons (security, memory space, etc). It would be helpful to discuss strategies and heuristics for this separation, as well as related isolation proposals like https://mikewest.github.io/isolation/explainer.html
  • Type: Open discussion

Envisioning New Accessibility Guidelines

  • Proposer: Jeanne Spellman
  • Summary: The WCAG 2.0 was published in 2008. The web has changed. WCAG 2.1 is in process, but it is time to plan for a major revision. WCAG WG is planning user research and public input to improve the design and process for developing the new guidance.
  • Type: Open Discussion
  • Goals: Communicate plans as they develop, brainstorm ideas, receive input, present options and choices.

High Dynamic Range (HDR) and the Web

  • Proposer: Chris Lilley (W3C), Mark Watson (Netflix) and Pierre-Anthony Lemieux (Movielabs)
  • Session overview: Discuss use cases, requirements, implementation status and plans for high dynamic range (of luminance) video, imaging and styling on the Web. We assume we already have, or will son get, high chroma (gamut volume) and high(er) bit depth.
  • Type: discussion
  • Goals: next steps, editors for backgrounder/requirements/use cases documents, plans
  • Draft Minutes: https://www.w3.org/2016/09/21-hdr-minutes.html

Async Web (aka Parallel Web)

  • Proposer: Nolan Lawson (Microsoft)
  • Session overview: the problem occurs frequently on the web of third-party scripts, over which one often has no control, and for which one would like isolation without sacrificing performance. Web workers solve the isolation and the performance problem, but unfortunately are missing crucial APIs that would allow many naive third-party scripts to work out-of-the-box. So we've turned to iframes, with the result being that ad-heavy sites, or often just sites that want to act as a "platform" for third parties, end up with a large number of iframes that overload the UI thread. How can we solve this problem?
  • Type: discussion

Cancelled sessions

CANCELLED: Spatial Data on the Web meets Web of Things (Outreach@TPAC)

  • Proposer: Darko Ancic and Kerry Taylor
  • Session overview: Discuss vocabularies needed for WoT
  • No longer required as time has been allocated at 4pm on Tuesday in the Spatial Data on the Web meeting
  • A slot also to be dedicated during the WoT meeting on Thursday TBA


CANCELLED: Brainstorming: design & usability of W3C pages

Merged into the session Make W3C Great Again.

  • Proposer: Antonio, on behalf of Systeam.
  • Session overview: the look & feel of W3C pages and sub-sites is not consistent, and there are usability and a11y issues that we want to address. What are the biggest complaints that users have? How can we start unifying the design of pages without annoying their long-time users, and without causing confusion? What are the most cost-effective ways to modernise our design? Who among the membership or general audience want to help, and how?
  • type of session: round table, brainstorming, un-talk.
  • Session goals: gather ideas, gauge the actual importance of the issue.
  • additional speakers/panelists: (Guillaume?)


CANCELLED: Web Spotlight -- the good, the bad, and the ugly

  • Session Proposers: Andrei Sambra (MIT/W3C) and Tim Berners-Lee (W3C/MIT)
  • Summary: This session is intended to be an open discussion about where we are today in terms of standardization trends around decentralization -- what works, what doesn't work, as well as what is missing and still needs to be done. We hope to identify what are the pain points that hinder the decentralization of the Web, so that groups that work in this space can better collaborate with the people who participate in the standards-making process.
  • Goals: Discover how to better align the decentralization work done outside W3C with the current/in-progress standards at W3C, especially the ones dealing with identity, privacy, and authentication.
  • Type of session: open discussion