ISSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec

aria-mapping

replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec

State:
CLOSED
Product:
pre-LC1 HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Steve Faulkner
Opened on:
2010-10-12
Description:
escalated from: Bug 10066 -replace section 3.2.6 with the alternative spec text provided (ARIA)http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10066

The current ARIA section of the HTML5 specification contains normative and informative text for which the HTML WG has not reached consensus. In an effort to resolve the issues amicably, individual bugs have been raised. The following bugs have not been resolved and it is considered that further discussion in bugzilla will not result in them being resolved, so they are being added to an overarching ARIA issue as agreed to by the chairs:

Bug 10450 -Allow lists to be used as menus or tab sets http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10450

Bug 10903 -provide an introduction to wai-aria in the wai aria section of the spec
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10903

Bug 10440 menu type=context should have "menu" role http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10440

Bug 10444 -ARIA section does not list elements that have no default role or role restrictions
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10444
related to
Bug 10603 -Clarify what default roles UAs may assign to elements not listed in the ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10603

Bug 10448 -Consider broadening the set of allowed roles for command elements
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10448

Bug 10449 -Consider allowing various command-like ARIA roles for h1-h6
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10449

Bug 10462 -merge ARIA mapping tables and list
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10462

Bug 10481 -Default role of <IMG> should be "img"
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10481

Bug 10493 -"ARIA restricts usage of this role to one per page" is an unclear statement
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10493

Bug 10592 -"h1 to h6 element that does have an hgroup ancestor" not listed in ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10592

Bug 10594 -conforming use of various aria attributes not specified
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10594

ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8000


Bug 10478 -modify table, tr and td roles
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10478

An alternative to what is in the spec or an addition if not currently specified, will be provided in an alternative spec text (http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal.html)
rationales for changes/additions will be provided in a change proposal (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5)

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [annotations-for-assistive-technology-products-aria]
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. ISSUE-129 Formal Objection (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-10-08)
  2. Formal objection on ISSUE-129 (WAS RE: Revert request for r6574) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-09-15)
  3. HTML-ISSUE-199 (aria-processing): Define complete processing requirements for ARIA attributes [HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2012-01-16)
  4. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-10-06: Action items, new issues, issue progress, revert request, WG F2F registration (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-10-06)
  5. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-10-06: Action items, new issues, issue progress, revert request, WG F2F registration (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-10-05)
  6. Re: Revert request for r6610, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-10-04)
  7. Re: Revert request for r6610, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-10-04)
  8. Re: Revert request for r6610, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-10-03)
  9. RE: Revert request for r6610, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2011-10-03)
  10. Re: Revert request for r6610, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-10-03)
  11. Revert request for r6610, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-10-03)
  12. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-05-12: Actions, New Issues, Closing Issues, TF reports, Last Call schedule (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-11)
  13. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-12: Actions, New Issues, Closing Issues, TF reports, Last Call schedule (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-11)
  14. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-15)
  15. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-15)
  16. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-15)
  17. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-14)
  18. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-14)
  19. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-13)
  20. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-13: Decisions, ISSUE-120 Reopen Request, ISSUE-129 Wording (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-13)
  21. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-12)
  22. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-12)
  23. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-12)
  24. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-12)
  25. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-04-12)
  26. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-12)
  27. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2011-04-12)
  28. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-12)
  29. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-04-12)
  30. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-12)
  31. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-04-12)
  32. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  33. Re: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-11)
  34. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-04-11)
  35. RE: Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2011-04-11)
  36. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  37. Revert request for r5981, and moving forward on ISSUE-129 (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  38. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-04-11)
  39. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2011-04-11)
  40. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-11)
  41. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  42. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-11)
  43. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  44. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-11)
  45. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  46. Re: request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-04-11)
  47. request to the HTML WG Chairs on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-11)
  48. Re: changes to headings in ARIA in HTML5 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-10)
  49. Re: ISSUE-155 counter proposal (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-23)
  50. Re: ISSUE-155 counter proposal (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-23)
  51. Re: ISSUE-155 counter proposal (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-23)
  52. Re: Using ARIA to override semantics (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2011-03-21)
  53. Re: Using ARIA to override semantics (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2011-03-19)
  54. Re: Using ARIA to override semantics (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2011-03-18)
  55. Re: Using ARIA to override semantics (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-03-18)
  56. Re: Using ARIA to override semantics (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2011-03-18)
  57. Re: Using ARIA to override semantics (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2011-03-18)
  58. Re: Using ARIA to override semantics (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-18)
  59. Using ARIA to override semantics (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2011-03-18)
  60. ISSUE-130 layout-tables vs ISSUE-129 ARIA mapping (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-16)
  61. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-03: Issues, Decisions, Task Force Reports, and Other Business (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-03-04)
  62. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-03: Issues, Decisions, Task Force Reports, and Other Business (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-03-03)
  63. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-02)
  64. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-02)
  65. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-03-02)
  66. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-03-02)
  67. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-03: Issues, Decisions, Task Force Reports, and Other Business (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-02)
  68. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-03-02)
  69. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-01)
  70. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-03-01)
  71. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-01)
  72. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from Smylers@stripey.com on 2011-03-01)
  73. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-03-01)
  74. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-129 aria-mapping (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-02-28)
  75. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-24: Action items and Issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-24)
  76. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-24: Action items and Issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-23)
  77. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-17: Issues, handling of features, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-20)
  78. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-17: Issues, handling of features, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-02-17)
  79. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-03: Issues, survey, A11y TF mini-report, Bug 11984 (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-02-10)
  80. Re: ISSUE-129: aria-mapping - Straw Poll for Objections (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-02-10)
  81. Re: ISSUE-129: aria-mapping - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-02-09)
  82. Re: ISSUE-129: aria-mapping - Straw Poll for Objections (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2011-02-09)
  83. ISSUE-129: aria-mapping - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-02-09)
  84. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-03: Issues, survey, A11y TF mini-report, Bug 11984 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-02-09)
  85. RE: Issue 129 counter proposal (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-01-21)
  86. Re: ISSUE-129 CCP - copied for review and comment (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-01-18)
  87. Re: ISSUE-129 CCP (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-01-17)
  88. Re: ISSUE-129 CCP - copied for review and comment (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-01-17)
  89. Re: ISSUE-129 CCP (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-01-17)
  90. ISSUE-129 CCP (from ian@hixie.ch on 2011-01-17)
  91. default roles of elements with accesskey set (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-01-17)
  92. HGROUP revisited (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-01-14)
  93. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-12-16: status of actions, calls, new decisions, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-01-12)
  94. {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-12-09: status of actions, calls, new decisions (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-12-16)
  95. Re: {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-12-09: status of actions, calls, new decisions (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-12-09)
  96. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-12-09: status of actions, calls, new decisions (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-12-08)
  97. ISSUE-129 aria-mapping - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-12-07)
  98. [Bug 11466] New: Reword 4.4.7 The hgroup element (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2010-12-03)
  99. Re: suggestion for abolition of <hgroup> (from doug_b_jones@me.com on 2010-12-03)
  100. RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-12-02: status, task force reports, deadlines and publications, meeting schedule (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-12-02)
  101. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-12-02: status, task force reports, deadlines and publications, meeting schedule (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-12-01)
  102. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-12-01)
  103. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-11-30)
  104. hgroup and heading roles section in ISSUE-129 change proposal modified (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-11-30)
  105. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-11-30)
  106. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from jgraham@opera.com on 2010-11-29)
  107. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-11-29)
  108. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2010-11-29)
  109. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2010-11-29)
  110. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2010-11-29)
  111. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-11-29)
  112. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-11-29)
  113. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from brucel@opera.com on 2010-11-29)
  114. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2010-11-28)
  115. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2010-11-28)
  116. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-11-28)
  117. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2010-11-28)
  118. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-11-28)
  119. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from jgraham@opera.com on 2010-11-23)
  120. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-11-23)
  121. Re: hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2010-11-22)
  122. hgroup and ARIA outline in ISSUE-129 [Was: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text] (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2010-11-22)
  123. {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-11-18: status of actions, calls, issues, meeting schedule, timeline to LC status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-11-21)
  124. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-11-18: status of actions, calls, issues, meeting schedule, timeline to LC status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-11-17)
  125. {minutes} HTML WG F2F minutes, Lyon, France, Nov 4-5 Part 1 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-11-09)
  126. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-85 by Amicable Consensus (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-21)
  127. {minutes} } HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-21: status of actions, calls, issues, heartbeat drafts, and TPAC (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-10-21)
  128. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-21: status of actions, calls, issues, heartbeat drafts, and TPAC (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-20)
  129. ISSUE-129 (aria-mapping): Chairs Solicit Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-20)
  130. RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-14 actions, status of calls, issues and bugs, heartbeat drafts, task force reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-10-14)
  131. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-10-14 actions, status of calls, issues and bugs, heartbeat drafts, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-10-13)
  132. CfC: Close ISSUE-85 by Amicable Consensus (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-13)
  133. Re: Issue-85 (was: ISSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-10-12)
  134. Issue-85 (was: ISSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-10-12)
  135. ISSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec [HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2010-10-12)

Related notes:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0005.html
http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=6028&to=6029
http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=6029&to=6030

Sam Ruby, 9 May 2011, 09:08:46

Changelog:

Created issue 'replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec' nickname owned by Steve Faulkner on product HTML 5 spec, description 'The current ARIA section of the HTML5 specification contains normative and informative text for which the HTML WG has not reached consensus. In an effort to resolve the issues amicably, individual bugs have been raised. The following bugs have not been resolved and it is considered that further discussion in bugzilla will not result in them being resolved, so they are being added to an overarching ARIA issue as agreed to by the chairs:

Bug 10450 -Allow lists to be used as menus or tab sets http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10450

Bug 10903 -provide an introduction to wai-aria in the wai aria section of the spec
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10903

Bug 10444 -ARIA section does not list elements that have no default role or role restrictions
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10444
related to
Bug 10603 -Clarify what default roles UAs may assign to elements not listed in the ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10603

Bug 10448 -Consider broadening the set of allowed roles for command elements
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10448

Bug 10449 -Consider allowing various command-like ARIA roles for h1-h6
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10449

Bug 10462 -merge ARIA mapping tables and list
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10462

Bug 10481 -Default role of <IMG> should be "img"
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10481

Bug 10493 -"ARIA restricts usage of this role to one per page" is an unclear statement
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10493

Bug 10592 -"h1 to h6 element that does have an hgroup ancestor" not listed in ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10592

Bug 10594 -conforming use of various aria attributes not specified
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10594


An alternative to what is in the spec or an addition if not currently specified, will be provided in an alternative spec text (http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal.html)
rationales for changes/additions will be provided in a change proposal (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5)' non-public

Steve Faulkner, 12 Oct 2010, 09:01:20

nickname changed to 'aria-mapping'

Sam Ruby, 12 Oct 2010, 11:08:11

Description changed to 'escalated from: Bug 10066 -replace section 3.2.6 with the alternative spec text provided (ARIA)http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10066

The current ARIA section of the HTML5 specification contains normative and informative text for which the HTML WG has not reached consensus. In an effort to resolve the issues amicably, individual bugs have been raised. The following bugs have not been resolved and it is considered that further discussion in bugzilla will not result in them being resolved, so they are being added to an overarching ARIA issue as agreed to by the chairs:

Bug 10450 -Allow lists to be used as menus or tab sets http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10450

Bug 10903 -provide an introduction to wai-aria in the wai aria section of the spec
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10903

Bug 10444 -ARIA section does not list elements that have no default role or role restrictions
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10444
related to
Bug 10603 -Clarify what default roles UAs may assign to elements not listed in the ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10603

Bug 10448 -Consider broadening the set of allowed roles for command elements
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10448

Bug 10449 -Consider allowing various command-like ARIA roles for h1-h6
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10449

Bug 10462 -merge ARIA mapping tables and list
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10462

Bug 10481 -Default role of <IMG> should be "img"
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10481

Bug 10493 -"ARIA restricts usage of this role to one per page" is an unclear statement
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10493

Bug 10592 -"h1 to h6 element that does have an hgroup ancestor" not listed in ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10592

Bug 10594 -conforming use of various aria attributes not specified
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10594

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8000
ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5


An alternative to what is in the spec or an addition if not currently specified, will be provided in an alternative spec text (http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal.html)
rationales for changes/additions will be provided in a change proposal (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5)'

Steve Faulkner, 12 Oct 2010, 12:16:23

Description changed to 'escalated from: Bug 10066 -replace section 3.2.6 with the alternative spec text provided (ARIA)http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10066

The current ARIA section of the HTML5 specification contains normative and informative text for which the HTML WG has not reached consensus. In an effort to resolve the issues amicably, individual bugs have been raised. The following bugs have not been resolved and it is considered that further discussion in bugzilla will not result in them being resolved, so they are being added to an overarching ARIA issue as agreed to by the chairs:

Bug 10450 -Allow lists to be used as menus or tab sets http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10450

Bug 10903 -provide an introduction to wai-aria in the wai aria section of the spec
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10903

Bug 10444 -ARIA section does not list elements that have no default role or role restrictions
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10444
related to
Bug 10603 -Clarify what default roles UAs may assign to elements not listed in the ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10603

Bug 10448 -Consider broadening the set of allowed roles for command elements
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10448

Bug 10449 -Consider allowing various command-like ARIA roles for h1-h6
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10449

Bug 10462 -merge ARIA mapping tables and list
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10462

Bug 10481 -Default role of <IMG> should be "img"
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10481

Bug 10493 -"ARIA restricts usage of this role to one per page" is an unclear statement
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10493

Bug 10592 -"h1 to h6 element that does have an hgroup ancestor" not listed in ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10592

Bug 10594 -conforming use of various aria attributes not specified
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10594

ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8000


Bug 10478 -modify table, tr and td roles
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10478

An alternative to what is in the spec or an addition if not currently specified, will be provided in an alternative spec text (http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal.html)
rationales for changes/additions will be provided in a change proposal (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5)'

Steve Faulkner, 13 Oct 2010, 10:26:39

Status changed to 'open'

Sam Ruby, 22 Nov 2010, 00:31:03

Description changed to 'escalated from: Bug 10066 -replace section 3.2.6 with the alternative spec text provided (ARIA)http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10066

The current ARIA section of the HTML5 specification contains normative and informative text for which the HTML WG has not reached consensus. In an effort to resolve the issues amicably, individual bugs have been raised. The following bugs have not been resolved and it is considered that further discussion in bugzilla will not result in them being resolved, so they are being added to an overarching ARIA issue as agreed to by the chairs:

Bug 10450 -Allow lists to be used as menus or tab sets http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10450

Bug 10903 -provide an introduction to wai-aria in the wai aria section of the spec
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10903

Bug 10440 menu type=context should have "menu" role http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10440

Bug 10444 -ARIA section does not list elements that have no default role or role restrictions
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10444
related to
Bug 10603 -Clarify what default roles UAs may assign to elements not listed in the ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10603

Bug 10448 -Consider broadening the set of allowed roles for command elements
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10448

Bug 10449 -Consider allowing various command-like ARIA roles for h1-h6
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10449

Bug 10462 -merge ARIA mapping tables and list
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10462

Bug 10481 -Default role of <IMG> should be "img"
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10481

Bug 10493 -"ARIA restricts usage of this role to one per page" is an unclear statement
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10493

Bug 10592 -"h1 to h6 element that does have an hgroup ancestor" not listed in ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10592

Bug 10594 -conforming use of various aria attributes not specified
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10594

ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8000


Bug 10478 -modify table, tr and td roles
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10478

An alternative to what is in the spec or an addition if not currently specified, will be provided in an alternative spec text (http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal.html)
rationales for changes/additions will be provided in a change proposal (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5)'

Cynthia Shelly, 22 Jan 2011, 18:38:55

Description changed to 'escalated from: Bug 10066 -replace section 3.2.6 with the alternative spec text provided (ARIA)http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10066

The current ARIA section of the HTML5 specification contains normative and informative text for which the HTML WG has not reached consensus. In an effort to resolve the issues amicably, individual bugs have been raised. The following bugs have not been resolved and it is considered that further discussion in bugzilla will not result in them being resolved, so they are being added to an overarching ARIA issue as agreed to by the chairs:

Bug 10450 -Allow lists to be used as menus or tab sets http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10450

Bug 10903 -provide an introduction to wai-aria in the wai aria section of the spec
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10903

Bug 10440 menu type=context should have "menu" role http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10440

Bug 10444 -ARIA section does not list elements that have no default role or role restrictions
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10444
related to
Bug 10603 -Clarify what default roles UAs may assign to elements not listed in the ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10603

Bug 10448 -Consider broadening the set of allowed roles for command elements
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10448

Bug 10449 -Consider allowing various command-like ARIA roles for h1-h6
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10449

Bug 10462 -merge ARIA mapping tables and list
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10462

Bug 10481 -Default role of <IMG> should be "img"
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10481

Bug 10493 -"ARIA restricts usage of this role to one per page" is an unclear statement
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10493

Bug 10592 -"h1 to h6 element that does have an hgroup ancestor" not listed in ARIA section
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10592

Bug 10594 -conforming use of various aria attributes not specified
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10594

ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8000


Bug 10478 -modify table, tr and td roles
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10478

An alternative to what is in the spec or an addition if not currently specified, will be provided in an alternative spec text (http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal.html)
rationales for changes/additions will be provided in a change proposal (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5)

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [annotations-for-assistive-technology-products-aria]'

Steve Faulkner, 25 Jan 2011, 11:13:52

Product changed to pre-LC1 HTML 5 spec

Sam Ruby, 29 Jan 2011, 18:22:25

Status changed to 'closed'

Sam Ruby, 9 May 2011, 09:08:46


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $