This is a wiki for the Open Government Community Group.
- W3C Community Group page
- firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list
- The IRC channel is irc://irc.w3.org:6665/#opengov
The organizing principle of all work done by the group is consensus, as is the case in the W3C process.
In terms of the specifications produced by the group, these should strive to minimize reinventing the wheel, and should strongly favor reusing existing ontologies, vocabularies and terms. This approach ensures consensus with the broader community developing technical specifications outside this community group. For example, many groups have an interest in standard representations for time, but it is possible that none participate in this group. This group should nonetheless reuse existing standards for time, for example, ISO 8601.
Group members are free to pursue the development of specifications relating to open government information as long as they adhere to these two principles.
The OpenStand Principles provide more detail.
People wanting to start a specification may benefit from research on existing standards. For example, research on:
While reviewing these existing standards, it is important to summarize your findings about the groups and their specifications. See, for example, the Popolo project's survey of existing standards and its inventory of terms as model documents.
Places to find existing standards
Below is a list of specifications authored by members of the group of relevance to the group's mission:
- The Popolo Project addresses terms for people, organizations, and the relations between the two. It is likely to expand its scope to include areas and events.
- OpenGovLD is a specification using JSON-LD based on a fork of OParl. It shares most or all of the aims of Popolo. It therefore intends to merge as much as possible with Popolo. Part of this is creating a common vocabulary.
- OParl addresses requirements of German municipalities to make parliamentary data available to the public and is supported by major vendors of software used by those municipalities, IT service providers, local public administrations and Open Data initiatives. OParl is currently not represented in this Community Group due to Andreas Kuckartz leaving that project after a decision by OParl not to use JSON-LD.
- Popolo-ORI is an extention of the Popolo specification designed for (municipality) council meetings.
Related Groups within W3C
- eGovernment ended 31 May 2013 homepage list
- Semantic Web was extended to 30 July 2016 homepage list
- Government Linked Data ended 31 December 2013 homepage list
- Provenance was closed on 19 June 2013 (charter ended 30 September 2013) homepage list
- Locations and Addresses wiki: list
- JSON for Linked Data: list
- Geospatial Semantic Web: list
- Semantic News: list
Related Groups outside W3C
- Open Government Data WG at the OKFN: list, Wiki
- Open Data Protocols: list
- Data Catalog Interoperability Protocol: list
- OpenElections: list
- OpenCivicData: list
RRSagent Cheat Sheet
|/invite RRSAgent #opengov||Invites RRSagent to the room|
|/me <text>||RRSagent will not record the text|
|Meeting: <text>||Sets the name of the meeting|
|Chair: <name>||Sets the chair of the meeting|
|Agenda: <URL>||Sets the link to the agenda|
|Topic: <text>||Sets the current topic of the meeting|
|<name>: <text>||Summarizes what a speaker said for the minutes|
|... <text>||Continues summarizing what the previous speaker said|
|s/<text>/<replacement>/||Replaces the most recent occurrence of <text> in the log|
|ACTION: <text>||Adds an action item|
|ACTION <number> = <newtext>||Replaces the text of an action item|
|ACTION- <number>||Removes the action item|
|rrsagent, show actions||Returns the list the action items|
|RESOLUTION: <text>||Records a meeting resolution|
|rrsagent, here||Returns a URI to the log|
|rrsagent, grep -i <pattern>||Returns matching messages from the log|
|rrsagent, set logs world-visible||Sets the logs as world readable|
|rrsagent, make minutes||Generate the minutes of the meeting|
|rrsagent, bye||Dismisses RRSagent|
|rrsagent, help||Displays a list of commands|