Skip to toolbar

Community & Business Groups

Credentials Community Group

The mission of the W3C Credentials Community Group is to explore the creation, storage, presentation, verification, and user control of credentials. We focus on a verifiable credential (a set of claims) created by an issuer about a subject—a person, group, or thing—and seek solutions inclusive of approaches such as: self-sovereign identity; presentation of proofs by the bearer; data minimization; and centralized, federated, and decentralized registry and identity systems. Our tasks include drafting and incubating Internet specifications for further standardization and prototyping and testing reference implementations.

w3c-ccg

Group's public email, repo and wiki activity over time

Note: Community Groups are proposed and run by the community. Although W3C hosts these conversations, the groups do not necessarily represent the views of the W3C Membership or staff.

final reports / licensing info

date name commitments
Verifiable Claims Use Cases 1.0 Licensing commitments
Verifiable Claims Data Model and Representations 1.0 Licensing commitments
Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) v0.13 Data Model and Syntaxes Licensing commitments

drafts / licensing info

name
Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) - Data Model and Syntaxes

Chairs, when logged in, may publish draft and final reports. Please see report requirements.

Publish Reports

What’s in a Wallet? The recap

On July 7 and 14, 2020, The CCG hosted two sessions where we asked people from inside and outside the community to answer the question, “What’s in a Wallet?” You can review the meeting notes and listen to the audio below:

“What’s in a Wallet?” as answered by…

As you can see, there are a lot of interpretations for what is in a wallet. We hope you find these presentations and perspectives mind-opening and keep in mind the desires of your end users when you develop digital identity wallets.

Materials from this blog post taken from this github thread (shout out to Juan Caballero), & Heather Vescent’s Twitter week 1 & week 2 threads.

September 2020 Schedule

Welcome to the September Schedule for the Credentials Community Group. We have a great line-up of speakers this month. Got something you are interested in presenting on identity, credentials, security or diversity identity/credential adjacent? Get in touch.

  • September 8, 2020: Dakota Gruener will speak on ID2020.
  • September 15, 2020: Anil John will speak on Government Perspectives on DIDs and VCs, lessons learned from funding SSI development.
  • September 22, 2020: Andi Hindle will give us a report out on the 6 week IDENTIVERSE
  • September 29, 2020: Dave Birch will share his latest thoughts on identity, data privacy, and maybe a splash of IoT identity

All meetings are on Tuesday, at 9am PT, Noon ET, 5pm BST, 6pm CET. Anyone can join. We hope you will join us.

Credentials Community Group Priorities

The W3C Credentials Community Group has identified our priority work items based on community feedback.

Here are the topics and champions (so far):

  • Decentralized Identifiers: Drummond Reed, Manu Sporny, Christopher Allen
  • Lifecycle of a Verifiable Claims: Joe Andrieu, David Chadwick
  • Data Minimization and Selective Disclosure Report: Christopher Allen
  • Verifiable Claims Browser API and Browser Polyfill: Dave Longley, Manu Sporny
  • Verifiable Claims and Attribute Exchange Protocols: David Chadwick
  • Privacy & Security Requirements for Credentials Ecosystem: Christopher Allen, David Chadwick

If you’d like to contribute to these topics, join us at the weekly meeting and on the mailing list.

Note that anyone may join the Credentials Community Group; W3C Membership is not required.

 

Tell us your priorities

The W3C Credentials Community Group in conjunction with the Digital Verification Community Group are in the process of prioritizing work items. Your responses to the poll will enable us to properly prioritize the work items that will drive the technical work.

You do not need to be a W3C member to participate in the poll. Vote now

Data sharing policy: Organization names and votes will be publicly available.

 

Credentials Meeting Minutes for 2015-11-24

Agenda
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2015Nov/0076.html
Topics
  1. Introduction to Dan Burnett
  2. WPIG / Verifiable Claims After Action Review
  3. Goals for Next Week’s Meeting
  4. Administrivia for Next Week’s Meeting
Organizer
Manu Sporny
Scribe
Dave Longley, Brian Sletten
Present
Dave Longley, Manu Sporny, Daniel C. Burnett, Brian Sletten, Richard Varn, Shane McCarron, John Tibbetts, Nate Otto, Viktor Haag, Sunny Lee, Carla Casili, Rob Trainer, Matt Collier, Henry Story, David I. Lehn, Stuart Sutton, Deb Everhart, Eric Korb, Dmitriy Nesterkin
Audio Log

Detailed minutes and recorded audio for this call are available in the archive.

Credentials Meeting Minutes for 2015-11-17

Agenda
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2015Nov/0019.html
Topics
  1. Current Status of Task Force Proposal
  2. Focus on Use Cases
  3. ToDo Items
Organizer
Manu Sporny
Scribe
Matt Stone
Present
Matt Stone, Nate Otto, Manu Sporny, Alex Jackl, Shane McCarron, Dave Longley, Henry Story, Gregg Kellogg, John Tibbetts, Chris Webber, Rob Trainer, Stuart Sutton, Dmitriy Nesterkin, Viktor Haag, Richard Varn, David I. Lehn
Audio Log

Detailed minutes and recorded audio for this call are available in the archive.

Credentials Meeting Minutes for 2015-11-10

Agenda
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2015Nov/0014.html
Topics
  1. Credentials Task Force in WPIG Update
  2. Tasks for Credentials CG
  3. Linked Data Fast Track WG Update
Organizer
Manu Sporny
Scribe
Dave Longley
Present
Dave Longley, Manu Sporny, Henry Story, Laura Fowler, Rebecca Simmons, Brian Sletten, Gregg Kellogg, Nate Otto, Eric Korb, John Tibbetts, Chris Webber
Audio Log

Detailed minutes and recorded audio for this call are available in the archive.

Credentials Meeting Minutes for 2015-11-03

Agenda
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2015Nov/0001.html
Topics
  1. Introductions to New Participants
  2. Work Generated as a Result of W3C TPAC
  3. WebDHT Spec Released
  4. Reorganizing this group around new Task Force
Organizer
Manu Sporny
Scribe
Nate Otto
Present
Nate Otto, Manu Sporny, Greg Kidd, Alex Jackl, Chris Webber, Dave Longley, Gregg Kellogg, Brian Sletten, Matt Stone, Stuart Sutton, Sunny Lee, David I. Lehn, Richard Varn, Eric Korb, Rob Trainer
Audio Log

Detailed minutes and recorded audio for this call are available in the archive.