Minutes and Resolutions November F2F TPAC Santa Clara
Drop Shadows and Filter Effects
- Discussed drop shadows and what inner shadow is.
the shadow is cast by a negative of the alpha channel, then clipped)
to the actual alpha channel
- Discussed applying effects like drop shadows and opacity to different
parts of the box. (fantasai:
The pieces we’d need to address, in various)
combinations: background layers, border (one piece), content (one piece)
Only adjacent layers would need to be composited together. Drop shadows
would then paint immediately below the composited layer.
See also fantasai’s message on this topic.
- It seems likely the SVG
filters spec and the
filter property would be able to
address these use cases, particularly if parametrized canned filters were
added for commonly desired effects and CSS targets were added e.g. as
described by roc.
- This topic will be further discussed with the SVGWG possibly on the
Media Queries for HTML5 Video
It is proposed to add media queries to
<video> and then
to also define queries for the user’s special needs. These new media queries
will go into a new media queries module.
CSS2.1 Test Suite Status
Reviewed status of CSS2.1 test suite. Still on track wrt
fantasai has a rough coverage report, but is missing many of Microsoft’s tests
because they don’t have the right metadata. (Microsoft’s management is preventing
Arron from correcting the tests.)
- Resolved: Drop section 3.1.1 from CSS3 Color.
- Resolved: Add
color-correction property with
is UA-defined and
srgb corrects untagged images to sRGB.
- See also David
Baron’s follow-up message proposing something different.
Worked through issues summarized in Bert’s email
- Resolved: Accepted proposal at the bottom of this email.
- Resolved: Add “The content of replaced elements is not considered in the
CSS rendering model.” to the definition of “replaced element”.
- Filed CSS2.1 Issue 142.
- Resolved: Run-ins inherit from their document parent,
not their sibling. It is explicitly undefined in 2.1 what happens with
::first-lines and run-ins.
Size to Fit for text
Reviewed examples of copyfitting by changing the font size and various past
proposals for addressing some of the use cases. Intentions can be split into:
- Size each line of text individually until it fills the line box.
- Size up the entire paragraph as one unit until the longest line fills its
dbaron proposes a copyfit property to trigger these behaviors. An alternate
proposal is to incorporate this into
Related behaviors were mentioned: specifically, triggering justification on
the last line only if it’s longer than a certain threshold; and specifying
a minimum length for the last line, which would trigger whole-paragraph
justification if the last line were not long enough.
Conclusion is to add some notes to css3-text and leave it for the next active
editor to deal with.
Grid, Flexbox, and Template Layout Interactions
- Discussed interaction of layout models.
- Discussed triggering fallback based on UA support.
- Resolved: Remove note about interaction between grid and tables.
- It’s not clear how to make progress on these drafts.
font-variant and font feature support in CSS
John Daggett proposes adding subproperties to
for allowing access to the more common OpenType features.
would become a shorthand for
There some concern about fallback behavior for subscript and superscript
features, and winding up with either a complete loss of semantics or a
John notes that OpenType has language-sensitive rendering, and proposes
allowing an explicit choice of typographic language different from the content
There’s concern about exposing alternate glyphs from a generic mechanism
such as font-variant, because the choices are very font-specific. Proposals
include dealing with it in @font-face; and pairing the glyph set number with
the font name so that it only triggers on that font name.
Otherwise the WG is mostly in agreement and pressures jdaggett into putting
his proposal in the editor’s draft. 🙂
Resolved: Only horizontal overflow triggers for
text-overflow: ellipsis. Add a new keyword for handling ellipsis due to
vertical overflow (where the ellipsis appears on the last line only).
Discussed other issues with
- Interaction with
overflow, whether it prevents overflow, whether
overflow: hidden, what happens with
how that makes sense with floats, etc.
- Where and how the ellipsis is drawn, how it interacts with
- What happens with overflowing blocks in the vertical ellipsis case
- Whether the ellipsis is an indication of content you can’t see or
content you can’t reach
- What happens when you scroll, does the ellipsis get drawn on the
other side, too? both sides?
- Interaction with bidi, whether the ellipsis causes logical clipping
in place of visual clipping
- Whether the behavior you want for ellipsizing text you can scroll to
is different from the behavior for ellipsizing text you can’t get to,
and other potential reasons for different behaviors
Apparently some of these questions were
resolved over lunch.
Transitions, Transforms, and Animations
- Apple would like a few sample tests in an appropriate format
to begin writing test suites. dbaron offered to help with that.
- Reviewed behavior of inherited properties and how inherited
transitions don’t trigger new transitions.
- Discussed effects of batched layout updates and flushing on
transitions, and the resulting unpredictability in behavior.
- Expecting another WD soon, then LC afterward for Transitions
and possibly for 2D Transformations; 3D Transforms and
Animations both need more work.
- Reviewed our Last Call comments for
MathML for CSS.
Bert didn’t find much to comment on. Stretchable characters is something
we might need to look at in the future. John Daggett has some comments on
font variations vs. Unicode codepoints.
- Discussed modularization and profiles; the questions raised are all
answered by the Snapshot.
The only complaint was that it’s not visible enough, which will be solved
when the Snapshot enters CR.
- Next F2F scheduled for March 29-31 hosted by Apple in Cupertino.
« Previous article
Next article »