Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

09 Sep 2020


gottfried, janina, MichaelC, becky, paul_grenier, joconnor, JPaton, nicolocarp
Matthew, Atkinson


<scribe> scribe: gottfried

Agenda Review & Announcements

Janina: Scott Hollier has been a regular participant in RQTF. He was named a co-facilitator.

APA Rechartering Begins - https://www.w3.org/2018/08/apa-charter

Michael: Working on the charter. Will be ready for the members to work on probably in the next month.

Virtual TPAC 2020 Planning - https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2020

<becky> https://www.w3.org/2020/10/TPAC/registration.html

Becky: We are still working on V-TPAC planning. Personalization and modifications to HTML. Registration now open.

All TPAC events are free. You may want to keep these weeks open.

scribe: We are meeting Oct. 12-16 with other groups
... There is a Wiki page for scheduling the meetings.

Janina: I suggested to Judy to take this to the WAI coordination call. We want other WAI groups to be aware of the cross-group meetings that we are hosting.

Gottfried: Conversation on MQ5 planned? What preps are necessary?

Janina: Maybe we could allocate an hour ahead of the meeting to prepare this.

Gottfried: Would be good to have a discussion at least 1 day ahead of the meeting with CSS.

<becky> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2020

Here is the group meeting schedule (search for "APA"): https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2020/GroupMeetings

Janina: Create a public Google calendar?

Task Force Updates

Janina: RQTF met this morning.
... We got a response from Shawn on messaging.

Michael: XAUR announcement is ready - Judy to approve.

Josh: I updated based on Shawn's feedback. Haven't done any news bit.

Michael: It's probably fine. We don't do news for our drafts anymore.
... Can you verify that she is okay with the changes?

Josh: Minor changes only - should be okay.

Janina: Good meeting on pronunciation. Good job of Paul Grenier.

<joconnor> happy to help with video

Janina: Markku Hakkinen is writing the script for a 3-min video.
... Personalization did not meet this week

Becky: Running behind in personalization. Small group. Need to ping people on the list.

FAST Progress Josh

Josh: No update on this.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+lab

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22%22

Michael: This is horizontal review of charters.
... No new charters for this week.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Janina (to agendum 6): We have some workshops coming up.

Michael: No new TRs to look at.

CSS Checkin (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

Amy: Proposed CSS selector for role matching - we got comments, latest from James Craig.

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/32

(Amy reading James' comment)

<Amy_Carney> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/2

Amy: James suggests that no role selector is needed.

Paul: I am agreeing with his expert opinion.

Amy: Close this issue?


<Amy_Carney> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/12

Review of web animations

Amy: Came up in 2016 for review. Janina passed on to CSS tf. Ian took it, added a comment - should be a WCAG 2.1 issue.
... Universal browser setting for preventing movement.

Gottfried: That's in MQ5.

Amy: I saw it implemented in some browsers.
... Good to see it in draft. Editor's draft has been recently updated in 2020-08.

Janina: Looks like we have a solution for this problem by MQ5. Biggest thread is now settled.

<Amy_Carney> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/38

Review CSS Animation Worklet API #38

scribe: Michael commented that this relates to #12.

Janina: I think that clears us.
... We want to check this when meeting with CSS at TPAC.

Becky: Need to add this to our agenda at TPAC.

Gottfried: WCAG should create a technique on preventing animation with MQ5.

Michael: Could be added to WCAG 2.2.
... Techniques can be added at any time.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Issues Dashboard Review https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-rev

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3775

Michael: There is an issue from CSS - text transform...

[css-text] text-transform's design, intent and reality resolution #3775

Michael: I think we can close this. We should simply accept this.
... Do we want to trust Brian or review it ourselves?

Janina: Let's find out whether Brian is satisfied.

Michael: Yes, he says he is.

Becky: We probably need to review this.

Janina: I don't remember this being an APA issue.

Michael: Shall we say we don't care?

Becky: More than one person is satisfied with this.

Janina: Does anybody object to closing this?

- none -

Becky: So we confirm the closing

Michael: We have to close our mirror issue - done

Community Groups Tracking Redux https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

Becky: I looked at the CGs. I added some notes, and we can maybe close them out.
... None of them had a lot of activity.
... CG "Inclusive design for the immersive web" has already good a11y rep.
... We probably don't have to track this.

Janina: Agree

<joconnor> /me gotta drop, bye

Becky: CG "Unitive Web". 6 members, no real mailing list activity from Feb until now.
... no need to track unless they become active.
... They want to create a more independent web
... Independence from companies

Janina: Sounds more like some sort of policy decisions.
... No need to track

Becky: CS "Cynthetic Media". no chair, no ML activity, 13 members
... track only if they become active

Janina: yes

Becky: CS "Decentralized Identity of Korean" - no need to track
... CS "COVID-19 Remote Meet, Work, Class". Another one is called "Web fights COVID" - basically the same. No activity in either of these groups since March.
... CS "Rights Automation for Marketing Data".

Janina: Could have a UI impact. ODRL has been around for a while.

Paul: Could turn into GDPR issue.

Janina: ODPR is used in DAISY books.
... Revisit is fine

Becky: CS "Network Maintenance Notifications". 4 members, no chair, no recent ML activity.

Janina: No need to track

Becky: Agree
... CS "OpenUI". 26 members, have had teleconf; meeting monthly as of 2020-09-08.
... There is nothing produced yet.
... No minutes from the meetings

Janina: What exactly do they want to replace?

Becky: Not clear.
... CS "Linked Data for Accessibility". Make accessibility information about buildings, services and routes easier to find.

Janina: Not good that it is limited to physical issues. Sensory disabilities also relevant.

Becky: They want to create a vocabulary, based on schema.org.

Janina: We care about this. I will take this to RQTF.

Becky: Shadi is in.
... Linked data covered by Josh?

Janina: Yes

Other Business

Becky: Adjourned

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/09/09 16:57:16 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/meeting schedule/meeting schedule (search for "APA")/
Succeeded: s/Marku/Markku/
Succeeded: s/Becky/Amy/
Succeeded: s/that people want to kill it/now settled/
Succeeded: s/relateds/relates/
Succeeded: s/Ryan/Brian/
Default Present: gottfried, janina, MichaelC, becky, paul_grenier, joconnor, JPaton, nicolocarp
Present: gottfried janina MichaelC becky paul_grenier joconnor JPaton nicolocarp
Regrets: Matthew Atkinson
Found Scribe: gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: gottfried
Found Date: 09 Sep 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]