Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

25 Jan 2018



Peter, Addison, Richard, Katy, David, Bert, JcK
Steven, Atkin
Addison Phillips


trackbot, prepare teleconference

<scribe> ScribeNick: addison




<trackbot> action-669 -- Addison Phillips to Ping various chairs or the chairs list for ideas on engaging -- due 2017-10-26 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/669

close action-669

<trackbot> Closed action-669.


<trackbot> action-692 -- Addison Phillips to Comment on csswg-drafts 2138 (emoji locale presentation) in support of normative language forbidding the interpretation -- due 2018-01-25 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/692

close action-692

<trackbot> Closed action-692.


<trackbot> action-693 -- Addison Phillips to Comment on csswg-drafts 2125 in support of visual truncation of text-overflow -- due 2018-01-25 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/693

close action-693

<trackbot> Closed action-693.

Info Share

welcoming Katy

katy: work at oxford univ. press

richard: spending time recently trying to support i18n sponsorship program
... contact people, get involved
... visited the BBC and gov't on Monday

<Katy> Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :)

richard: might get some joiners from there
... BBC has interesting problems in their websites
... make github repo where we can raise issues
... see everything through "need to reduce bandwidth"
... especially due to low bandwidth
... problems with e.g. Sinhala
... sounded interesting
... HM government not so many obvious opportunities
... WCAG has guidelines, lots of folks use to make in-house
... tailor it to themselves
... nice to have i18n guidelines like that

<r12a> https://r12a.github.io/scripts/sinhala/

David: BBC or BBC-WW?

richard: BBC

<r12a> https://r12a.github.io/pickers/sinhala/

addison: not already have a repo?

richard: need to think it through, maybe i18n-discuss
... but don't want to pollute

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/authoring-html?collapse




site reorg

richard: because of conversations with BBC, netflix, etc.
... site not terribly helpful

<r12a> https://w3c.github.io/alreq/homepage/

richard: here's an idea


(link for comparison)

<Bert> ("find" is not "search"?)

<Bert> (and "search" is not "site search"?)

(why is our home page title "W3C Internationalization Activity Blog"?)

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/groups/

<Katy> +q

addison: any objections?

David: lot of whitespace

<scribe> ACTION: richard: update WG pages with new header discussed in teleconference

<trackbot> Created ACTION-694 - Update wg pages with new header discussed in teleconference [on Richard Ishida - due 2018-02-01].

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/layout

bert: don't like logo further left than body text; align?

richard: done on purpose

Localization of Payment Sheets (https://github.com/w3c/payment-request/issues/650)

peter: active in web payments wg
... trying to get to CR
... realized that some i18n ones were there
... do we have some guidelines/checklist to do good reviews or get issues unstuck

<r12a> http://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/getting-started/wg.en

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs?collapse


<r12a> https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

<r12a> note that you can point people to specific parts of the checklist, such as https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs.en?open=locale&open=loc_names

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions


<r12a> this is also useful http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/



<Katy> :)



katy: users of legacy encodings can be hard to convince to move to unicode
... so a couple paragraphs to convince of value
... linguistics folks use a lot of proprietary encodings too

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/

<scribe> ACTION: addison: put charmod-norm on homework list for advancing to wide review

<trackbot> Created ACTION-695 - Put charmod-norm on homework list for advancing to wide review [on Addison Phillips - due 2018-02-01].



addison: recruiting a scribe

<r12a> i will send out some info about how to scribe

<stpeter> r12a: sounds most excellent

<r12a> Peter, try this https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/guidelines/process.html#scribing

<r12a> let me know if you have other questions

<stpeter> Great, thanks!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: addison: put charmod-norm on homework list for advancing to wide review
[NEW] ACTION: richard: update WG pages with new header discussed in teleconference

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/01/25 17:14:16 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/HM government not as interested/HM government not so many obvious opportunities/
Present: Peter Addison Richard Katy David Bert JcK
Regrets: Steven Atkin
Found ScribeNick: addison
Inferring Scribes: addison
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2018Jan/0005.html
Found Date: 25 Jan 2018
People with action items: addison richard

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]