Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

17 May 2017

See also: IRC log


janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, tzviya, MichaelC
Michiel, Leonie


<scribe> scribe: Gottfried

preview agenda with items from two minutes

Janina: any news?


TPAC 2017 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2017

Janina: Draft agenda may be available in June. But make a hotel reservation now.
... We don't know how to get the W3C rate for the hotel.
... Will keep checking.

Push API CfC

Janina: I have drafted comments. Case: you don't want to be interrupted. I got no comments.
... I would like to reference Ted's Github issue. More generic use case. We need ways to tell to not push.
... I will put out a CfC for a formal decision of the group.

Task Force Checkins

Michael: Cleaning up Coga publications. Talked with ARIA chairs on Monday.
... Trying to publish 3 COGA docs together. Focus on the REC-doc, i.e. ARIA doc.
... My highest prio is on the cog support for WCAG.

Janina: No general problem with prioritization. But COGA needs to deliver its docs as in the charter. Should not stall them.
... We need to have these docs published and reviewed

Michael: Docs are very long - can we expect them to be thoroughly reviewed?

Janina: Maybe publish gap analysis - without issues paper?
... There might be other organizations interested in this.

Michael: Gap analysis is the most useful one. References the issue paper.
... We could publish as working draft.
... Danger of publishing a working draft as a note.
... But publishing a working draft without a note is a bad idea.

Tzviya: Only a few people know about this work. You might get interested from DC and other accessibility organization that are focused on publishing.
... What about the CSS task force? - Issue with personalization semantics.
... Overwriting the layout with CSS semantics could cause problems.

Janina: I have prepared a set of invitations to this call next week. On the topic of mechanisms for personalization on the Web.
... CSS, Media query, etc.
... I am going to send out some emails.

Tzviya: I can join. Can pass it on to others.

Gottfried: Possible for me to join.

Janina: What can we do with our 12-year old CAPTCHA paper? - Not ready yet.
... CSS task force had problems getting off the ground. May need some nudge to get started.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8


<trackbot> action-2131 -- Michael Cooper to Ask webappsec if csp is meant to block bookmarklets, and raise issue of a11y scripts that users explicitly request (not xss) -- due 2017-05-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2131


<trackbot> action-2129 -- Michael Cooper to Find publications that went straight to note without review opportunity -- due 2017-05-10 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2129

Michael: 54% of notes last year were published without a review draft.
... Will send this in an email to the wg.
... There are some process changes needed.


<trackbot> action-2124 -- Janina Sajka to Follow up with johannes wilm on input events 1 and 2 wrt our comments on input events non-leveled -- due 2017-05-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2124

Janina: I am still waiting for Leonie


<trackbot> action-2119 -- Janina Sajka to Review html 5.2 https://www.w3.org/tr/html52/ -- due 2017-05-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2119

<MichaelC> close action-2119

<trackbot> Closed action-2119.

Janina: Found no problem. Let's close it.

Tzviya: Issue on ARIA details tag was closed by Charles. Should be fine now.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> Motion Sensors Explainer

Michael: We sometimes have a11y input on use cases. Do we want to deal with this?

Janina: Probably not - unless somebody has a particular use case.

Michael: (reading from the use case section)

Janina: No need to review

<MichaelC> Orientation Sensor

Michael: Guessing this is low-level, but nothing on the API level.

Janina: Yes, there could be a11y use cases.

Gottfried: This doc refers to the motion sensors explainer doc.

Michael: Cannot tell how comprehensive this API is. But guessing we probably care more about API uses than the API itself.
... We need to come up with a white paper about web of things, device API, sensors etc.

Janina: We need to complain about API specs not explaining themselves.

Michael: Haven't made a formal complaint, only discussed this

<MichaelC> ACTION: cooper to make a fuss about algorithmic specs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/05/17-apa-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2132 - Make a fuss about algorithmic specs [on Michael Cooper - due 2017-05-24].

Janina: Need to come back to this.
... Need to pick up conversation with Ralf. Other groups are impacted too.
... For us it is not only the problem of not being able to do an a11y review, but also resulting in badly written specs.

Michael: We have 23 specs that are marked "in active review".
... 19 have a review assigned.

Janina: We should get back to this in early June.

Other Business

Michael: I was reading on content security policy - looking for a11y issues - could not find out in the spec. Talked with Ralf.
... Ralf said that we have to live with the preferred language style of the editor. No resources to train editors or add additional editors.
... I believe we can still address this by drafting best practices to make editors aware of common problems.
... This will be an ongoing conversation with Ralf and the architecture team.

Janina: Involve others? Internationalization?

Michael: Presentation of i18n on how to review specs. They have similar processes, but different tools.
... I will discuss with them.

Janina: Best practices policy manual should address this.

Michael: Not a simple path.

Janina: There is a wider community that wants to look at an API and understand before diving into.
... Should be a topic at the next TPAC on Wed.

Michael: We should gather other interested parties before TPAC.

Janina: Next call on architectural directions on achieving meaningful personalization. Folks from the wider APA community are invited.
... I will send out the invitation.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: cooper to make a fuss about algorithmic specs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/05/17-apa-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/05/17 16:45:05 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/group note/working draft/
Succeeded: s/support/nudge/
Default Present: janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, tzviya, MichaelC
Present: janina Joanmarie_Diggs tzviya MichaelC
Regrets: Michiel Leonie
Found Scribe: Gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: Gottfried
Found Date: 17 May 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/05/17-apa-minutes.html
People with action items: cooper

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]