Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

26 Apr 2017

See also: IRC log


Joanmarie_Diggs, MichielBijl, janina, Gottfried, JF, MichaelC
Gottfried, MichielBijl


<MichaelC> close action-1557

<trackbot> Closed action-1557.

<ShaneM> danka

<MichielBijl> :role(button) { … }

<MichielBijl> http://bkardell.com/blog/Reflecting-On-Roles.html

<MichielBijl> https://moiety.me/thinks/cascading-semantic-stylehooks.html

<Gottfried> Michiel: CSS pseudo classes for individual roles

<Gottfried> scribe: Gottfried

preview agenda with items from two minutes

Post by Brian Kardell: http://bkardell.com/blog/Reflecting-On-Roles.html

Response by Michiel: https://moiety.me/thinks/cascading-semantic-stylehooks.html

<MichielBijl> button,

<MichielBijl> input[type=button]

<MichielBijl> :role(button) {…}

Michiel: Easier to make selection rules for all buttons.
... or other elements based on role.

<MichielBijl> http://bkardell.com/role-reflect.js

Michiel: This script is a polyfill that looks through all DOM elements.
... The script does not break anything.
... Originally, CSS classes were supposed to support selection by role.

John: Mix of semantics and style. There has been push-back from CSS people in the past.
... Would like to apply semantics to CSS-style selectors. Today, they are only used for styling.

Michiel: We are not applying semantics, we are using semantics to select elements.

John: You could apply an attribute selector instead.

Michiel: That's what Brian's script does.

<MichielBijl> [role=button] {…}

John: Use aria-* attribute as selector.

Michiel: Pseudo-class would make it easier.
... Selecting the first character after a heading complex right now - much easier with pseudo-role selector.
... Plugin could be written with PostCSS. Use matching selector of PostCSS.

<MichielBijl> https://codepen.io/jonneal/pen/gWLKbY?editors=1100

Michiel: Jonathan wrote something that does exactly that.
... It is a proof of concept.

Janina: Comments are welcome.
... Should be most useful for well-structured documents, e.g. EPUB.

Michiel: Think it is interesting. Sad that it was brought up before and did not materialize.
... Looking for comments. Is it worth to take this further?
... and take it to the WAI?

John: Would that be something for the a11y-CSS Joint TF?

Janina: Yes, i suppose.

<MichielBijl> scribe: MichielBijl

Gottfried: colleague is working on a media query

Just the beginning

We had a discussion with CSS WG

Had thought about extending media queries in this regard

Student will work on this and work on a poly fill

Like, if you want high contrast or something, that could be detected with a media query

JS: Think this came up in Saporo

CSS WG seems to be open to this sorta thing

<Gottfried> Janina: We have an explicit allowance from the CSS wg to experiment with this.

Gottfried: will keep you updated

TPAC 2017

<Gottfried> Janina: We have a page stub now.

<MichaelC> APA TPAC meeting page

<Gottfried> ... We should add this as a regular item to the upcoming agendas.

<Gottfried> ... Everybody: Book your room soon. We expect many attendants.

<Gottfried> Michael: Procedure for discount rate not documented yet.

<Gottfried> Michiel: Can we still change the location country?

<Gottfried> Michael: Costs for changing are prohibitive.

<Gottfried> Janina: Should be running smooth.

<Gottfried> Michiel: Laptops will be banned on the flight?

<Gottfried> Michael: Remote participation will be possible.

<Gottfried> ... 2018 will be a different country.

<Gottfried> Gottfried: Laptop ban will be some selected (Arabic) countries only.

<Gottfried> Janina: Only for carry-on.

<Gottfried> ... There will be more data provided to us.

<MichaelC> TPAC 2017

<Gottfried> Janina: Book early - you can always cancel later.

Community Groups Last Call https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

<Gottfried> Janina: Keep trying to delete this...

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

<Gottfried> action-2120?

<trackbot> action-2120 -- John Foliot to Review web publications use cases and requirements https://www.w3.org/tr/pwp-ucr/ -- due 2017-03-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2120

<Gottfried> John: I am about 80% done with this. Will get it done today.

<Gottfried> action-2116?

<trackbot> action-2116 -- John Foliot to Review ttml profiles for internet media subtitles and captions 1.0.1 (imsc1) https://www.w3.org/tr/ttml-imsc1.0.1/ -- due 2017-03-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2116

<Gottfried> John: I may have missed this one.

<Gottfried> Michael: Plan to go to CR ending on May 7 - could go to CR soon.

<Gottfried> John: Will get it done today.

<Gottfried> Janina: Leonie finished her action item. Maybe we keep it open since we may want to take action on it, in the form of a note/appendix.

<Gottfried> action-2121?

<trackbot> action-2121 -- Léonie Watson to Review css basic user interface module level 3 (css3 ui) https://www.w3.org/tr/css-ui-3/ -- due 2017-04-12 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2121

<Gottfried> Michael: I got the message

<MichaelC> Léonie review of CSS basic UI module

Addition for previous topic: seems MichaelC already brought the role pseudo-class up on GitHub: https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/2

<Gottfried> Janina: Same question - best practice guidance. Need to work out an agreement with CSS.

<Gottfried> Michael: Don't think this turns into a comment from us.

<Gottfried> ... What should we do?

<Gottfried> Janina: Close this.

<Gottfried> Janina: Input events - Michiel?

<Gottfried> Michiel: Nope

<Gottfried> Janina: We should wait for Leonie on this.

<Gottfried> Michiel: This may of interest for Patrick Clark. Should i ask him to review it?

<Gottfried> Janina: Coordinate with Leonie.

<MichaelC> close action-2121

<trackbot> Closed action-2121.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<Gottfried> Michael: List of open review requests with 2 specs

<MichaelC> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2016OctDec/0116.html

<Gottfried> ... Request on WebSub

<Gottfried> ... They went to CR without hearing from us - remove this.

Other Business

Task force status

<Gottfried> Janina: Captcha update guidance by RQTF - expected in May.

<Gottfried> ... John will review the CAPTCHA Note when ready.

<Gottfried> ... 3 COGA docs are approved.

<Gottfried> ... Will be a big publication. Hopefully the comments will be helpful to us.

<Gottfried> ... 3 docs: Gap analysis, supporting research, ARIA module for personalization.

<Gottfried> ... Michael plans to publish them next week.

<Gottfried> John: Discussion yesterday on AG wg call - about publishing everything.

<Gottfried> ... COGA, low-vision and mobile tf.

<Gottfried> ... Those are not APA-managed tfs. COGA is a tf of 2 wgs jointly.

<Gottfried> John: Good to publish everything we have - even if it is only research.

<Gottfried> Janina: AG wg may publish the docs for mobile and low-vision. This is not our business.

<Gottfried> Janina: Personalization continues an interest in APA. Special APA meeting envisioned to talk about directions for personalization.

<Gottfried> ... I propose to have that call 2 weeks from today, i.e. on May 10.

<Gottfried> ... Topics: Media queries, ARIA module, etc.

<Gottfried> (no objections)

<Gottfried> Janina: Will get this going (invitations)

<Gottfried> Janina: CSS tf - still issues about block and discussing.

<Gottfried> Michael: Ted wanted to know the work load.

<MichaelC> CSS TF issues

<MichaelC> CSS TF project

<Gottfried> ... These are categorized into projects.

<Gottfried> ... CSS containment modules are urgent - may go to CR at any point.

<Gottfried> ... Ian was supposed to review. But wait until May.

<Gottfried> ... Activity on other issues going. Other people have commented on a couple of issues.

<Gottfried> ... It is something, but probably not enough.

<Gottfried> Janina: Web payments tf

<Gottfried> ... Plan: Establish community group - still one vote short

<Gottfried> ... We will look at the output in APA.

<Gottfried> ... Please vote if you have a W3C member vote.

<janina> ~https://www.w3.org/community/blog/2017/03/31/proposed-group-web-payments-and-commerce-accessibility-community-group/

Gottfried: lisa asked

For us to give feedback on a special proposal

On WCAG techniques

Addressing COGA

I can’t find these techniques tho

Michael, Janina, can you help me?

MC: We don’t have a formal place yet

<Gottfried> techniques for WCAG 1.3.1 and WCAG 4.2.1

Some of the TFs have proposed techniques in their own repos

<Gottfried> Title for 1.3.1: Info and structure

<Gottfried> Title for 4.2.1 (proposed) not known

Lisa wrote to Janina and me

<Gottfried> Email subject: ETSI and URC support as techniques for WCAG 1.3.1 and WCAG 4.2.1

And Michael, probably because he’s involved in ?? group

Janina: he’s also int he COGA group

What exactly is she looking for from APA?

Gottfried: we’re wondering if this can be done via…

They want to use vocabulary to enable accessibility support

She wants a discussion on this

MC: I’m not able to get orientated without more information

JF: Perhaps 4.2.1 is a new proposal

MC: Right now I don’t have a paper trail that leads me to more info about 4.2.1

JS: Let’s see what Janina responds

<Gottfried> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2017Apr/0037.html

JS: Thanks all!

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/04/26 16:58:01 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/classes/CSS classes/
Succeeded: s/Web a11y tf/ a11y-DSS Joint TF/
Succeeded: s/a11y-DSS/a11y-CSS/
Succeeded: s/Michael/Michiel/
Succeeded: s/John is working on it./John will review the CAPTCHA Note when ready./
Succeeded: s/Micahel/Michael/
Present: Joanmarie_Diggs MichielBijl janina Gottfried JF MichaelC
Found Scribe: Gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: Gottfried
Found Scribe: MichielBijl
Inferring ScribeNick: MichielBijl
Scribes: Gottfried, MichielBijl
ScribeNicks: Gottfried, MichielBijl

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 26 Apr 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/04/26-apa-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]