Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force (Cognitive A11Y TF)
of the PFWG and WCAG WG
Announcements and Meetings
- November 2013: The Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force has been approved and is forming. Once several participants have joined the Task Force, we will work out a regular teleconference time. To join, please see the participation section below.
- [upcoming teleconferences will be listed here]
The Cognitive A11Y TF meets by teleconference Mondays at 1:00 pm US Eastern Time via teleconference bridge. To find what time this is in your region, you can check the world clock time zone converter.
- Teleconference bridge:
- Instructions for VoIP "Zakim-SIP"
- Code: 2642
- Channel: #coga
- Server: irc.w3.org
The Cognitive A11y TF may also meet face-to-face. Upcoming face-to-face meetings will be listed here.
Minutes from previous meetings are available.
Preliminary planned Task Force work includes:
- Identify related work inside and outside of the W3C;
- Review existing techniques and propose new features where needed;
- Gather information on different related technologies and techniques including where techniques in support of cognitive and learning disabled users may conflict with what is needed for other users;
- Build a repository of related research into cognition and disabilities;
- Build a use case repository to describe different cognitive disabilities and scenarios for how persons with atypical ability profiles use technology successfully or unsuccessfully;
- Make predictions of where technology is headed;
- Identify stakeholders, from whom the task force can solicit ongoing feedback;
- Document business cases and identify areas of resistance, risks and opportunities.
When the Task Force develops publications, they will be listed here.
About the Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force
The Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force (Cognitive A11Y TF) is a joint Task Force of the Protocols and Formats Working Group (PFWG) and the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group (WCAG WG). It assists these Working Groups to produce techniques, understanding, and guidance documents, as well as updates to existing related W3C material that addresses the cognitive space.
Facilitator and Contacts
- Task Force facilitator: Lisa Seeman, second to be determined
- PF and WCAG WG Staff Contact: Michael Cooper
Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Work Statement defines the initial objective, scope, approach, and participation of the Task Force.
- mailing list archives are publicly available for the Cognitive A11Y TF main mailing list
- Participants are automatically added to the mailing list when they become a participant of the Task Force
To join the Cognitive A11Y TF, individuals must be participants of either the PFWG or the WCAG WG. Participants are expected to actively contribute to the work of the Task Force, including:
- Minimum 4 hours per week of Cognitive A11Y TF work (this time also counts towards the individual's participation requirement in the sponsoring WG through which they have joined);
- Remain current on the Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force mailing list and respond in a timely manner to postings;
- Participate in Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force telephone meetings, or send regrets to the Task Force mailing list.
If you are interested in participating in the Cognitive A11Y TF, please send e-mail to: Janina Sajka, Joshue O Connor, Andrew Kirkpatrick and include a little bit about what you’re interested in and how you think that you may be able to contribute to the Task Force.
Participants in the Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force lists current participants.