- EOWG Home Page
Education and Outreach Working Group Meeting
and Best Practices Training Exchange
7 - 8 November 2002
This meeting of the Education and Outreach Working Group is hosted by the
Visual Impairment Knowledge Centre and
the Equal Opportunities Centre for Disabled
Persons. Participation is open to participants in good standing of W3C/WAI's
Education and Outreach Working Group
(EOWG), and to individuals interested in contributing to the efforts of the
EOWG. We welcome people who are interested in becoming more involved in promoting
Web accessibility in Europe. Any people who are not already participants
of the EOWG should read the EOWG
Charter and how to join
page, and send the requested information.
On Thursday 7 November we will exchange information about promotion and
implementation of W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (WCAG 1.0).
On Friday 8 November we will conduct training on evaluation of Web site
accessibility, and invite people involved in Web accessibility training
to demonstrate their best training approaches. We will also discuss additional
training resources that can be shared or that are in development.
This EOWG meeting is held immediately following the IST 2002 Conference in Copenhagen.
If you are attending that event, please note that the hotel in which the EOWG
meeting is being held is one among the hotels available for the IST 2002
Conference earlier in the week.
is required, and is now open, for everyone attending the EOWG meeting
on 7 or 8 November, 2002.
Scandic Hotel Sydhavnen
Sydhavns Plads 15, 2450
Phone: +45 88 33 36 66, fax: +45 88 33 36 67
Price: 1166,- DKR (app. 155 Euro) per night, for standard single
room including breakfast.
Payment must be settled directly with the hotel on departure.
A block of rooms is reserved for participants until October 20, 2002
Reservation requests must be e-mailed to:
You should get a confirming e-mail within several days; if not, please
re-contact the address above, as well as jbrewer @w3.org.
- Helle Bjarnø
- Visual Impairment Information Centre
- hbj @visinfo.dk
- subject line: [Reservation for EOWG] [your name]
- indicate any special needs regarding the room (they have several
rooms for guests with disabilities)
- indicate smoking or non-smoking
- indicate any special needs regarding the food
- indicate arrival and departure dates
- indicate if arrival may be after 6:00 p.m.
Notes on hotel:
All rooms have high speed Internet access.
The hotel has good parking facilities.
Getting from airport to hotel by train:
- Kastrup Airport (Copenhagen) 10 km ( taxi fare app. 180,- DKR)
- Bella Center (The IST 2002 event) 3 km. (taxi fare app. 70,- DKR)
- Central Rail Station 5 km
- Local train, (S-tog: Sydhavnen station) 0,5 km
- City Centre (Town Hall Square) 3 km
- Shopping Mall 0,5 km
Information about Copenhagen can be found at:
- Take the train from the airport to the Central rail station and change
to the local train (S-tog line A, to Sydhavnen Station, 2 stops)
and walk approximately 0,5 km.
The following is a proposed agenda for discussion and review. Comments
to the EOWG mailing list <w3c-wai-eo @w3.org> welcome.
Thursday, 7 November, 2002
- 8:30 Continental breakfast, informal discussion
- 9:00 Introductions and agenda review
- introduction of the host
- brief overview of EOWG work, WAI DA,
WAI TIES work
- 9:30 EOWG Deliverables under
- past, current, planned priorities
- comments and discussion
- 10:00 Roundtable on promotion of Web Accessibility in Europe
- updates on developments in Web accessibility promotion efforts
- observations on effectiveness of different countries' promotion
efforts over the past year?
- 10:30 Break
- 10:45 Roundtable continued
- including reports on efforts in different EU Member States and
- description of EDEAN Network activities
- 12:00 Lunch
- 1:00 Web site evaluation, benchmarking, evaluation template, review
- discussion of evaluation resources and review teams
- how these resources may be helpful in benchmarking progress on
Web site accessibility
- on-going monitoring of Web sites and nomination of Web sites
for WAI Gallery
- 3:30 Break
- 3:45 Continued discussion of WAI Gallery
- how to form a virtual review team for sites nominated into the
- 4:45 Planning training exchange for Friday
- and re-organizing training agenda
- 5:30 Adjourn
Friday, 8 November 2002
- 8:30 Informal discussion, set-up, etc.
- 8:45 Resources for training on Web accessibility
- presentation of EOWG training resources
- presentation of training resources from other organizations
- comments and discussion on additional training materials needed
- 9:45 Short training on evaluating Web sites for accessibility
- walk-through and discussion of conformance evaluation process
- walk-through and discussion of WAI evaluation template
- 10:30 Break
- 10:45 Demonstration of two approaches to testing Web sites
- Peter Christiansen demonstration
- Eric Velleman demonstration
- Proposed process for evaluation sites for the Gallery
- 12:00 Lunch
- 1:00 Demonstration of different training approaches
- Stig Møller Carlsen demonstration
- Henk Snetselaar & Eric Velleman demonstration
- Libby Cohen demonstration
- Donna Smilley demonstration
- 3:30 Break
- 3:45 Brainstorm on training needs and available resources
- what are the (current) most pressing demands for resources
- what additional materials can be shared
- what materials are available in different languages
- who is developing what kind of additional training resources
- 4:45 Adjourn
Readings linked from agenda above; also here:
Minutes will be linked after the meeting (scribes Sylvie Duchateau, Libby
Cohen, ?, ?)
Last updated 8 November 2002 by Judy Brewer jbrewer @w3.org
© 1997 - 2002 W3C® (MIT, INRIA,
Keio), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability,
use and software
licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance
with our public