See also: IRC log
<trackbot> Closed ACTION-215 Double-check that all .prep items are gone to html5.
<trackbot> Closed ACTION-234 Ping Mark Davis asking if Google can get statistics on <bdo> usage.
<trackbot> Closed ACTION-236 Trackerize Shapes and write to www-style to ask about rtlflip and writing-modes.
addison: on vacation next two teleconferences
richard: rewriting tests
... which will someday be a Good Thing
... submitted first set to HTML test repo
... got lots of comments back
... so had to rewrite i18n test framework
... been implementing
... tests will all say the same thing
... but the script behind them will look different
addison to shepherd
that's a last call closing on 23 July
norbert will take a look
Norbert: was looking at WebIDL
Norbert: and started discussion
thread at above link
... found an interface called bytestring
Norbert: it's a weird type for capturing a string a bytes
Norbert: and comes with default
conversion to JS String
... and depends on ISO 8859-1
... can't specify other encodings
... XHR was source
... and byte mapping to chars of same value
... spreads the use of Latin-1 to new specs???
... started discussion
... can't remove from XHR (legacy reasons)
... but could remove from IDL spec
... new spec called Fetch wants to expose just bytes
JcK: every place I look at
bytestring in combo with chars
... feels like deeper into a hole
<scribe> ... continued use of datatype is a Bad Thing
<scribe> ACTION: Norbert: produce one-pager summary of WebIDL Bytestring and alternatives for consideration by WG [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-241 - Produce one-pager summary of WebIDL Bytestring and alternatives for consideration by WG [on Norbert Lindenberg - due 2013-07-25].
(*) The document contains a reference to a list of non-normative but ready-to-use counter definitions maintained by the I18N WG. (Also useful as examples of what counter styles look like.)
richard: mean to publish FPWD out
... few things recommended while I was in Japan
... need to dig out those comments
<scribe> chair: please indicate desire (or opposition) to publishing this document as FPWD
<r12a> +1 (of course)
Norbert: can we get rid of all the red coloring in the document?
<scribe> ACTION: richard: publish FPWD of counter-styles WG Note [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-242 - Publish FPWD of counter-styles WG Note [on Richard Ishida - due 2013-07-25].
addison: who wants to shepherd counter-styles (the CSS document)?
richard to shepherd
richard: will get rid of red
... Tab suggested reducing length of lines
... but if wrapped it's harder to see
... the relationships
JcK: printing and other devices might not look so good
richard: doing an article about
what's going on in I18N activity
... "Around the WWW in 80 Seconds"
... tell me if there are things to mention
- edit session: when - PRECIS http://tools.ietf.org/wg/precis/
edit session at Unicode conference
and do an online one first
target late august
Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings (Active WG)
JcK: following it some
... moving down the path of one protocol == one set of rules
... possibly different rules (many of them for many protocols)
addison: should agree on vocabulary and definitions
<scribe> ACTION: addison: remind everyone to read PRECIS documents for discussion of charmod-norm [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-243 - Remind everyone to read PRECIS documents for discussion of charmod-norm [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-07-25].
<scribe> ACTION: addison: write to the PRECIS list pointing out similarity of activity and need/desire to get similar definitions/recommendations where it makes sense [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/18-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-244 - Write to the PRECIS list pointing out similarity of activity and need/desire to get similar definitions/recommendations where it makes sense [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-07-25].
mati: submitted to ICU support
for UBA added features
... hope that's in next release?
... bracket pairing, etc.