See also: IRC log
<trackbot> Date: 20 May 2010
<oedipus> Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List
<scribe> scribe: Martin_Kliehm
<scribe> scribenick: kliehm
<MichaelC> My Tracker
<oedipus> open questionnaire: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20080513_bugs/
<trackbot> ACTION-44 -- Cynthia Shelly to - monitor status of @alt in HTML5 spec; when SteveF's Alt Guidance is published, ensure that what is in SteveF's note supersedes or corrects HTML5 verbiage; propose changes to HTML5 based on SteveF's alt doc -- due 2010-05-20 -- OPEN
<cyns> can someone repeat the tracker link? I logged in right after
Cynthia: unclear about the scope of action
Mike: a heartbeat draft publication is imminent
<MikeSmith> Zakiem, call MIke
<oedipus> cfc for heartbeat publication (Sam Ruby) http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010May/0297.html
<MichaelC> action-44 due 27 May
<trackbot> ACTION-44 - monitor status of @alt in HTML5 spec; when SteveF's Alt Guidance is published, ensure that what is in SteveF's note supersedes or corrects HTML5 verbiage; propose changes to HTML5 based on SteveF's alt doc due date now 27 May
John Foliot: Regular call was yesterday. We've been doing a review of usecase requirements. It's a lengthy document, we moved it to the TF wiki.
<oedipus> minutes media subgroup meeting 2010-05-19: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010May/0143.html
John: We still need people reviewing the document. We need a more structured requirements document. Sylvia Pfeiffer has been going through it, work is ongoing.
<oedipus> Media Subgroup Minutes 2010-05-19
John: We are still looking for feedback from the community, i.e. a deafblind user. If anybody on the TF knows anybody who would benefit from captions please ask them for feedback.
John: Google announced VP8 release as open source yesterday. WebM has very strict requirements, so it was unclear whether it would be able to support captions. WebM site confirmed that it is possible, they will follow our recommendations.
<MikeSmith> "Initial WebM release does not support subtitles... WHATWG / W3C RFC will release guidance on subtitles and other overlays in HTML5 <video> in the near future. WebM intends to follow that guidance."
Janina congratulates on the progress.
<dsinger_> What is the Apple question?
<dsinger_> Ok I will find and chase
Janina: I talked with Rich Schwerdfeger today, there will be a call this week. They are still waiting for feedback from Apple. If Macej could help it would be appreciated.
<dsinger_> Thx, plz
<oedipus> "Maciej, will these 2D Context API changes work for Apple? I tried to make sure that the API changes would support selection tracking on Macs. If you could respond I would appreciate it. I sent the first draft of this to Apple on April 11 and received no feedback. Since then the changes have been editorial. I am doing my best to not have accessibility be a barrier to HTML 5 getting through last call."
<Zakim> MikeSmith, you wanted to mention that we need to get feedback from James Craig
Mike: I talked to Macej, we need to hear from James Craig who is back from vacations. Somebody please ping James regarding that message.
<eric_carlson> I will ping James
<dsinger_> We will (Eric and I)
Janina: We need feedback from
Apple by Monday, May 24.
... ARIA, there are action items out, one of them was partially delivered on Tuesday, though many people are travelling this week, thus there was no subgroup telcon.
<oedipus> Opening Thoughts on WAI-ARIA in HTML5: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0903.html (Al Gilman, July 2007)
<trackbot> ACTION-26 -- Michael Cooper to review bugs for display, focus, labels, and semantics to 1) find originator, 2) propose disposition (work on, leave as is, push back on current status), 3) assign work items to people (possible originators) -- due 2010-04-14 -- PENDINGREVIEW
<oedipus> "Maintain equivalent or improved accessibility features of HTML 4.01" - has bug been filed?
<Zakim> oedipus, you wanted to ask about restoring accessibility features to HTML5 pending improvements or replacements
Gregory: We discussed last week to file a bug about maintaining accessibility, see above.
<JF> +1 to that greg
<MichaelC> Michael's bug disposition proposals
<oedipus> MikeSmith: discussion at http://www.w3.org/2010/05/13-html-a11y-minutes.html#item03
<MichaelC> Survey on some bug dispositions
Michael: I want to introduce a discussion about basic requirements before going into details.
Michael: While the spec is precise about UA parsing it is vague about user interface expectations for an element.
<oedipus> GJR notes that this is a topic (UI behavior) that was mentioned several times in HTML WG objection surveys
Michael: I think UI behavior should be defined to ensure accessibility. However, implementors have an interest to keep this open. We should at least mention some best practices.
<oedipus> Implementing UAAG 2.0
<oedipus> UAAG 2.0 Requirements Document
Michael: We should push that some of the requirements are integrated into the HTML spec. Are there concerns that rquirements are specified in external documents?
<oedipus> GJR notes that XHTML Access Module and proposed successor reference UAAG 1.0 by checkpoint in definition of access element
Janina: We wanted to maintain consistence and reduce redundance, in a recent meeting we agreed to cite WAI documents in order to achieve this.
<oedipus> if i had more time, i'd attend meetings
Jim, Michael: The UA WG doesn't have the resources with sufficient technical implementors background.
<eric_carlson> Can someone please repeat exactly what the question/proposal is?
Janina, Michael: The question is whether we agree to extend our mandate to the UA WG. We should send the question to the list.
<oedipus> how to get more engineers' attention and time on UI interaction/interface
Eric: We would be more comfortable with the requirements in a separate document outside of the HTML5 spec.
Janina: That was also the guidance of the WAI AdHoc meeting.
<oedipus> sub-group of TF - UA interaction/interfaces - joint sub-group with UAAG WG members?
John: We've gone down that road with another document.
Jim: We have a UA meeting in an hour. I can bring it up. We can have people formally do stuff or set up a structure to cross-post on both lists and thus get more people involved.
<oedipus> proposed: the HTML A11y TF will ask UAAG WG to review UI interaction/interface issues in HTML5 and jointly work with TF to develop appropriate content in an appropriate document
<MikeSmith> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: The TF believes that there are a number of bugs that are likely to be best resolved by adding text to existing or future UAWG deliverables rather than in the HTML5 spec itself.
<oedipus> didn't want to tie down at this point to a single document
<cyns> +1 oedipus
<inserted> scribe: MikeSmith
RESOLUTION: The HTML A11y TF will ask UAAG WG to review UI interaction/interface issues in HTML5 and jointly work with TF to develop appropriate content in an appropriate document.
<inserted> scribe: kliehm
<oedipus> plus 1
<cyns> OT: is there an html call today? I couldn't find the agenda.
Michael: There are a number of bugs which I think could be moved to an external spec.
<AllanJ> yes in irc
<MichaelC> I propose moving the following bugs to be addressed in an external UA resource: 8647, 8648, 8666, 8682, 8743, 8751
Bug 8647: Define tab order for IFrame
Bug 8648: Title attribute on the IFrame element
Other bugs: Keyboard accessible date pickers, Tab and reading order for context menus, Auditory icons clashing with AT, User should have ability to override automatic scrolling
bug 8752: http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8752 email@example.com, P2, RESOLVED NEEDSINFO, Allow user to manage focus changes
Michael: proposes to close the bug and comment that we withdraw objections.
Mike, Michael: Gez filed a large number of bugs on behalf of PF, thus he is listed as the reporter.
<oedipus> compare to http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-access/#sec_3.1.1.
<oedipus> "User agents MUST provide mechanisms for overriding the author setting with user-specified settings in order to ensure that the act of moving content focus does not cause the user agent to take any further action (as per Checkpoint 9.5 of UAAG 1.0)"
Michael: Proposes Jim as owner of bug 8622.
Michael: Bug regarding overflow content not being read by AT. Bug is marked "wontfix," I think this needs more investigation, proposes Gez Lemon.
Michael: The spec might need more refinement on the effect of overflow:hidden on assistive technologies. CSS WG might also be included. I will set up a survey on these bugs.
<MikeSmith> we are adjourned
rssagent, stop log
rssagent, start log
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135 of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20 Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/ Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00) Succeeded: s/see action-26/see above/ Succeeded: i/RESOLUTION: The HTML A11y TF will ask/scribe: MikeSmith Succeeded: i/plus 1/scribe: kliehm Succeeded: s/bug-8622?// Found Scribe: Martin_Kliehm Found ScribeNick: kliehm Found Scribe: MikeSmith Inferring ScribeNick: MikeSmith Found Scribe: kliehm Inferring ScribeNick: kliehm Scribes: Martin_Kliehm, MikeSmith, kliehm ScribeNicks: kliehm, MikeSmith Default Present: Janina, John_Foliot, Gregory_Rosmaita, Michael_Cooper, Janina_Sajka, allanj, Ben, +49.179.103.aaaa, kliehm, dsinger, Cynthia_Shelly Present: Janina John_Foliot Gregory_Rosmaita Michael_Cooper Janina_Sajka allanj Ben +49.179.103.aaaa kliehm dsinger Cynthia_Shelly Regrets: Laura_Carlson Denis_Boudreau Steven_Faulkner Marco_Ranon Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010May/0148.html Found Date: 20 May 2010 Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/05/20-html-a11y-minutes.html People with action items: WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines. You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]