ISSUE-27: Should W3C specifications start promoting IRIs?

IRIEverywhere-27

Should W3C specifications start promoting IRIs?

State:
PENDING REVIEW
Product:
HTML 5 review
Raised by:
Larry Masinter
Opened on:
2002-10-09
Description:
Rank: Medium

Current Deliverables:
Potential update to the IRI spec
Advice to the HTML Working Group

24 March 2010:
RESOLUTION: whereas the plan http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Mar/0037.html looks credible, to close IRIEverywhereClose ISSUE-27 IRIEverywhere
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/03/24-tagmem-minutes.html#item12

Update as of 26 May 2009: Larry M. will be helping Martin Duerst and Michel Suignard edit the IRI spec. No need to discuss this issue until they have sometihng to review.


Community affected: URI authors

External contacts and dependencies: HTML5 WG, I18N WG

Issue scope: Currently (3/3/09) focussed on HTML5 WG's need for something they don't find in the IRI spec.

The issue of IRIs and Forms is related, but not clear if the above deliverable will address this.

Historically,
The XML Core WG would like TAG input on whether the desirability of adopting IRIs into the web infrastructure early outweighs the anticipated disruption of legacy systems.

The XML Core WG would also like TAG input on the wisdom of early adoption given the
"Internet Draft" status of the
IRI draft . So far adoption has relied on "copy and paste", but there is potential for these definitions to get out of sync.
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Summary and minutes of the 17-18 September 2013 Advisory Board face-to-face meeting (from coralie@w3.org on 2013-10-03)
  2. Summary and minutes of the 12-13 June 2013 Advisory Board face-to-face meeting (from coralie@w3.org on 2013-07-18)
  3. Draft TAG minutes from telcon of 2012-08-02 (from ylafon@w3.org on 2012-09-07)
  4. Draft Minutes of November 17 Telcon (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2011-11-23)
  5. draft minutes from 7/21 (from masinter@adobe.com on 2011-07-22)
  6. Draft minutes for TAG telcon 2011-07-14 (from ylafon@w3.org on 2011-07-20)
  7. Draft minutes for TAG telcon 2011-05-26 (from jeni@jenitennison.com on 2011-05-28)
  8. ISSUE-27: Fwd: IRI vs. URI Reference in RDFa (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2011-05-19)
  9. Draft TAG minutes 2011-04-14 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2011-04-18)
  10. Draft minutes of the 8-10 February 2011 TAG F2F Meeting are now available (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-02-21)
  11. Draft minutes of the 8-10 February 2011 TAG F2F Meeting are now available (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-02-21)
  12. Draft minutes of TAG telcon of 2011-01-13 available (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2011-01-14)
  13. Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 18 November 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-11-17)
  14. Final Agenda for TAG F2F 19-21 October 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-10-14)
  15. Agenda for TAG F2F of October 19-21 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-10-13)
  16. Telcon minutes: 2010-09-23 (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2010-09-27)
  17. Draft TAG telcon minutes of 2010-08-19 available (from ylafon@w3.org on 2010-09-01)
  18. Re: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 12 August 2010 (from Daniel.Appelquist@vodafone.com on 2010-08-12)
  19. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 12 August 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-08-10)
  20. Re: Agenda for TAG teleconference of June 24 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-06-24)
  21. Agenda for TAG teleconference of June 24 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-06-23)
  22. Draft Minutes for the June 17 Telcon (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-06-18)
  23. Re: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 17 June 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-06-17)
  24. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 27 May 2010 (from noah@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-25)
  25. Preparation for this week's TAG teleconference: F2F Agenda Preparation (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-19)
  26. Re: HTML Issues of interest to the TAG (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-15)
  27. RE: HTML Issues of interest to the TAG (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-14)
  28. minutes TAG meeting 24-26 March in Cambridge, MA, USA for review (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-04-12)
  29. Draft Agenda of 24-26 March 2010 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-19)
  30. closing IRIEverywhere (from LMM@acm.org on 2010-03-10)
  31. Tag Members: Please review your open actions ASAP as input to F2F agenda (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-10)
  32. TAG Members: please reviews status of issues you 'shepherd' by Monday, 8 March (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-03)
  33. TAG telcon minutes for 25 Feb 2010 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2010-03-02)
  34. Re: suggestions for next week's agenda as a result of today's meeting (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-04)
  35. suggestions for next week's agenda as a result of today's meeting (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-02-04)
  36. Re: HTML WG issues scheduled to close Dec 17 comments (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-12)
  37. HTML WG issues scheduled to close Dec 17 comments (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-12-12)
  38. Re: link relationship registries at IANA and whatwg.org RE: f2f Agenda Planning -- Issue 62 (from mnot@mnot.net on 2009-11-20)
  39. RE: link relationship registries at IANA and whatwg.org RE: f2f Agenda Planning -- Issue 62 (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-11-19)
  40. RE: link relationship registries at IANA and whatwg.org RE: f2f Agenda Planning -- Issue 62 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-19)
  41. TAG issue review (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-10-16)
  42. Re: [State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-08-25)
  43. [State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues] (from raman@google.com on 2009-08-25)
  44. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 28 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-27)
  45. RE: [ISSUE-27] What are chances of progress on ACTION-265 in time for the 21 May TAG Teleconference (also ISSUE-24) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-21)
  46. RE: [ISSUE-27] What are chances of progress on ACTION-265 in time for the 21 May TAG Teleconference (also ISSUE-24) (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-05-20)
  47. Agenda for 21 May 2009 TAG Teleconference and Start of F2F Agenda Planning (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-19)
  48. [ISSUE-27] What are chances of progress on ACTION-265 in time for the 21 May TAG Teleconference (also ISSUE-24) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-14)
  49. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 14 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-13)
  50. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 7 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-05)
  51. Draft minutes of TAG teleconference of 23 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-05)
  52. Re: A new RFC for Web Addresses/Hypertext References: Background wrt LEIRIs ( ISSUE-27 ) (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2009-05-04)
  53. Re: A new RFC for Web Addresses/Hypertext References: Background wrt LEIRIs ( ISSUE-27 ) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-01)
  54. Minutes from yesterday (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2009-04-24)
  55. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 23 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-16)
  56. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 16 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-15)
  57. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 9 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-07)
  58. Approved minutes of the TAG F2F of 3-5 March 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-02)
  59. Setting TAG Priorities - Review of discussion and planning to date (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-22)
  60. Re: 'Web addresses in HTML 5' for review [IRIEverywhere-27 ISSUE-27] (from foolistbar@googlemail.com on 2009-03-19)
  61. Re: 'Web addresses in HTML 5' for review [IRIEverywhere-27 ISSUE-27] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-19)
  62. Re: 'Web addresses in HTML 5' for review [IRIEverywhere-27 ISSUE-27] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-19)
  63. 'Web addresses in HTML 5' for review [IRIEverywhere-27 ISSUE-27] (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-03-18)
  64. Agenda for TAG Face-to-Face Meeting, 3-5 March 2009 (Redwood Shores, CA) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-25)
  65. Re: google supports on rel='canonical' ISSUE-27 rel-ownership (from phil@philarcher.org on 2009-02-18)
  66. Re: google supports on rel='canonical' ISSUE-27 rel-ownership (from shane@aptest.com on 2009-02-17)
  67. google supports on rel='canonical' ISSUE-27 rel-ownership (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-17)
  68. Draft minutes of W3C TAG Teleconference of 18 Dec 2008 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-01-07)
  69. minutes: TAG face-to-face meeting, 9-11th December 2009 MIT in Cambridge MA, USA (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-01-07)
  70. Draft TAG telcon agenda 18th Dec 2009: IRIEverywhere-27;Self-Describing Web; XMLVersioing-41; binaryXML-30. (from skw@hp.com on 2008-12-16)
  71. Re: Request for Agenda items for TAG Telcon of 18th December 2008 (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-12-15)
  72. TAG Telcon Agenda for 1st November 2007. (from skw@hp.com on 2007-11-01)
  73. RE: TAG Tecon Agenda: 25th October 2007: abbreviatedURI-56; XMLVersioning-41 (XHTHML Modularisation); IRIEverywhere-27;httpRedirections-57 (from dorchard@bea.com on 2007-10-24)
  74. TAG Tecon Agenda: 25th October 2007: abbreviatedURI-56; XMLVersioning-41 (XHTHML Modularisation); IRIEverywhere-27;httpRedirections-57 (from skw@hp.com on 2007-10-23)
  75. TAG Telcon Agenda: 18th Oct 2007: IETF/W3C mtg; tagSoupIntegration-54; IRIEverywhere-27; UrnsAndRegistries; httpRedirections-57; Nov F2F (from skw@hp.com on 2007-10-17)
  76. TAG Weekly Telcon 26th March 2007 (from on 2007-03-26)
  77. TAG Weekly Telcon 26th March 2007 (from on 2007-03-26)
  78. TAG Weekly Telcon 26th March 2007 (from on 2007-03-26)
  79. W3C Technical Architecture Group Telcon - 12 February 2007 (from on 2007-02-12)
  80. TAG Weekly (from on 2007-01-23)
  81. TAG Weekly (from on 2007-01-23)
  82. TAG Weekly (from on 2007-01-23)
  83. TAG Weekly (from on 2005-12-13)
  84. TAG in Edinburgh 21 Sep (from on 2005-09-21)
  85. TAG in Edinburgh 21 Sep (from on 2005-09-21)
  86. Minutes of 12-14 May 2004 TAG FTF meeting in Boston (from on 2004-05-14)
  87. Minutes of 22 March 2004 TAG teleconference (from on 2004-03-22)
  88. 28Apr tag telcon notes: IRIEverywhere, URIEquivalence (from Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> on 2003-04-28)
  89. 28Apr tag telcon notes: IRIEverywhere, URIEquivalence (from Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> on 2003-04-28)
  90. Minutes of 14 Apr 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-04-14)
  91. Minutes of 7 Apr 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-04-07)
  92. Minutes of 7 Apr 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-04-07)
  93. Minutes of 31 Mar 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-03-31)
  94. Minutes of 6-7 Feb 2003 TAG ftf meeting (from on 2003-02-06)
  95. Minutes of 27 Jan 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-01-27)
  96. Minutes of 18 Nov 2002 TAG face-to-face meeting (from on 2002-11-18)
  97. Minutes of 11 Nov 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-11-11)
  98. Minutes of 26 August 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-10-28)
  99. Minutes of 26 August 2002 TAG teleconference (from on 2002-10-28)
  100. IRIs everywhere (including XML namespaces) (from Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com> on 2002-10-09)

Related notes:

Henry Thompson note: A new RFC for Web Addresses/Hypertext References: Background wrt LEIRIs ( http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Apr/0081.html )

Noah Mendelsohn, 1 May 2009, 14:18:15

ACTION-343 suggests attaching this to web application architecture

Dan Connolly, 8 Feb 2010, 15:47:06

resolved 24 March http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/03/24-tagmem-minutes.html#item12 , with some follow-up actions

Dan Connolly, 5 Apr 2010, 20:52:44

moving out of Web Apps arch product to better match
Noah's ftf prep msg
http://www.w3.org/mid/4BF3F881.4050006@arcanedomain.com

Dan Connolly, 19 May 2010, 17:55:05

Display change log ATOM feed


Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Peter Linss <w3c@linss.com>, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com>, Chairs, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $