TPAC/2022/SessionIdeas

From W3C Wiki
< TPAC‎ | 2022
Jump to: navigation, search

You are invited to propose TPAC 2022 Breakout Sessions in advance of breakout day on September 14, 2022. Please contact dom@w3.org for any question regarding the organization of TPAC breakouts.

TPAC 2022 is a hybrid meeting: all breakouts will have both a physical and a virtual component: they'll each be assigned a room in the event venue, and will be assigned a Zoom teleconference plugged into that room.
Breakouts that are requested to be public will be open to anyone to join remotely, free of charge, without a TPAC registration. The public can (but doesn't have) to register online to be kept up to date on new information about breakouts (including when their schedules will be finalized).

See also the initial schedule of sessions proposed as of September 9

Contents

How to use this page

Please use this page to:

  • Propose sessions you wish to lead
  • Please place new proposals at the bottom of this document

Breakouts scheduling

Breakouts are scheduled the Vancouver-time afternoon of September 14, 2022. There are 4 x 1h-slots (11:15am, 1:30pm, 3pm, 4:30pm PT), with up to 15 sessions possible during each slot, for a total of 60 potential breakouts.

The exact time of each breakout will be determined by the staff to reduce overlap of sessions with similar expected participants. We expect an initial schedule of submitted breakouts to be made available on September 9.

How to propose a session

Please provide:

    • session name (as a === subhead === )
    • session facilitators and speakers and which will be physically present vs remote
    • one sentence session summary
    • type of session: (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, tutorial, demo, etc.)
    • goals of session - what outcomes can session participants expect?
    • is this breakout only for TPAC participants or should it be open to anyone? (public TPAC breakouts can be attended remotely free of charge by anyone)
    • a shortname that can be used to associate an IRC channel to your breakout
    • Optional: constraints on timeslots (11:15am, 1:30pm, 3pm, 4:30pm Pacific Time)

Breakout facilitator preparation

If you are organizing a TPAC breakout, you may benefit from the following materials to get ready:

Proposed sessions

Web Components Community Group API and Specs Report 2022

  • facilitators: Westbrook Johnson, Owen Buckley, Rob Eisenberg
  • summary: The Web Components CG will facilitate a discussion with implementers and community members about filling browser gaps in agreed upon features and moving forward with the next wave of top priority features.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • goals of session:
    • Getting APIs missing full x-browser support into the "Interop 2023" campaign?
    • Discuss how we can work more closely on high important capabilities: cross shadow root Aria, scoped registries, DSD
    • Expand implementer and developer partnerships around bringing APIs & specs to the browser.
  • open to public
  • shortname: webcomponent-cg
  • preferred time: 4:30pm Pacific Time

Network State/Cache Partitioning Designs

  • facilitators: Mike Taylor, Artur Janc (both physically there)
  • type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): presenting some data from recent triple-key experiments for network state partitioning in Chrome followed by discussion
  • goals of session: discuss the security, privacy, and performance implications from partitioning the HTTP cache and shared network connections, and seek input from other implementer's experience
  • open to the public
  • shortname: nsp-designs

IP address privacy

  • Summary: IP address is a highly identifiable signal used for cross-site identity joining i.e. tracking users. How can we mitigate this privacy risk? Discuss relevant technologies
  • Proposer: Shubhie Panicker (panicker@google.com)
  • Type of session: brief context setting, followed by open discussion
  • Goals: gather feedback on IP Privacy and relevant tech ideas
  • ip-privacy
  • Additional speakers/panelists: jongibson@google.com, dschinazi@google.com
  • open to the public

Accessibility at the Edge

  • Proposer: Janina Sajka
  • Email address of proposer: janina@rednote.net
  • session facilitators Janina Sajka, Lionel Wolberger (Both present)
  • Other Panelists: Manu Sporny (present); Ken Nakata, Others TBD
  • Summary: A feerless overview of current and prospective edge technologies application to enhance accessibility (including those highly controversial overlays)
  • type of session: Brief panel remarks followed by open discussion
  • goals of session: Kick-off event for the new A11yEdge Community Group; What we will address, what we hope to achieve
  • Open to the public
  • Shortname: A11yEdge
  • timeslot: given the high interest in participation from Europe, please schedule at 11:15am if feasible

Page transitions in the browser (Shared Element Transitions)

  • Proposer: Jake Archibald
  • Email address of proposer: jakearchibald@google.com
  • Summary: Chromium folks have been working within the CSSWG to give developers an easy way to create page transitions. We'd like to show how it works, and get feedback from implementers, spec folks, and other interested parties.
  • Type of session: Open discussion, but can be a talk if the audience would rather.
  • Goals: Get feedback.
  • shortname: pagetransitions
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists:
  • Open to the public
  • Time constraints: Don't clash with "The upcoming navigation and session history rewrite"

Web of Things (WoT) Status Update and Demos

  • Proposer: Michael McCool (talk) 17:17, 16 August 2022 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: michael.mccool@intel.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Present the current status of the Web of Things in the WoT IG/WG and CGs, and showcase a number of application demonstrations.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): sequence of short presentations (status, then 3-4 demos)
  • Goals: Introduce people to WoT and showcase application experience.
  • wot-demo (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout)
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to the public.
  • Timeslot constraints: 3pm PT strongly preferred (note: many of our speakers will be remote and calling in from Asia and Europe. This is the only slot that is not horribly early or late in Asia or Europe)

Breaking the web responsibly

  • Proposer: Greg Whitworth
  • Email address of proposer: gwhitworth@salesforce.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Go over how User Agent breaking changes can have adverse effects on users due to the time needed for sites to adjust to the changes.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc): Talk + Open Discussion
  • Goals: How can the community work together to responsibly rollout impactful changes
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): ua-impactful-changes
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?
  • Timeslot constraints: 1:30PM

Open UI update on style-able & extensible HTML controls/components

  • Proposer: Greg Whitworth
  • Email address of proposer: gwhitworth@salesforce.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): One of the largest developer pain points is styling/modifying the content of the controls/components that ship natively with the user-agent. Open UI will provide an update on the progress on new elements and primitives to improve this.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc): Talk
  • Goals: Give an overview of Open UI it's goals and the progress over the past year.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): openui
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Mason Freed, Brian Kardell, Daniel Clark
  • Timeslot constraints: 3:30PM

Children's Accessibility Needs Require Specific Consideration

  • Proposer: Suzanne Taylor (talk) 19:26, 16 August 2022 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: Suzanne.Taylor@ThingsEntertainment.net and maud.stiernet@alittleliningcomes.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): We will given an update on the group's work and share the 6 main reasons that children with disabilities will benefit from specific consideration in next-generation accessibility standards.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): 30-minute talk followed by 30 minutes for discussion
  • Goals: Provide an update on the work and goals of the Accessibility for Children Community Group, which has been active for about a year. Share the 6 main reasons that children with disabilities will benefit from specific consideration in next-generation accessibility standards. Share the main topics and success indicators that we will be exploring and refining in the group's full white paper.
  • a11y4kids
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Maud Stiernet
  • Open to Public
  • Timeslot constraints: Because Maud will be in Belgium, the new slot Wednesday morning at 11:15am would work best

The Future of Cookies (in Web Standards)

  • Proposer: Johann Hofmann (talk) 19:47, 16 August 2022 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: johannhof@chromium.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Some big changes to how cookies work in browsers make us rethink how Fetch and HTML integrate with the cookies RFC and whether more cookie behavior could be defined in browser land. Join us to learn about and discuss the future of cookies in standards!
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Short talk + open discussion
  • Goals: Give an overview of recent and upcoming cookies changes and get feedback on our ideas for evolving cookie specification across organizations.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): cookie-future
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Steven Bingler, Anne van Kesteren, others TBC
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: (3 possible slots: 1:30pm PT, 3pm PT, 4:30pm PT) 3pm, should not conflict with "Same Party Federation"

Policy Protected Data Access for Untrusted Components

  • Proposer: Sarah Heimlich (talk) 23:58, 16 August 2022 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: sarahheimlich@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discussion on a system where untrusted modular components can access private user data through policy protection and enforcement. Join us to play with prototypes and learn more!
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): Open Discussion
  • Goals: Give an overview of the system through demos/prototypes and get feedback on our ideas for a policy-driven privacy framework.
  • shortname: policy-privacy
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Maria Kleiner, Ray Cromwell, and Bernhard Seefeld
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: Open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: None

W3C Member Support

  • Proposer: Naomi Yoshizawa (talk) 03:15, 17 August 2022 (UTC)Naomi Yoshizawa
  • Email address of proposer: naomi@w3.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Introducing W3C member support activities to date and brainstorm what type of member support will be required at the new W3C to hear members' voices.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): short talks followed by panel and open discussion
  • Goals: Discover the form of member support that W3C, a membership organization, should achieve.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): member-support
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: Giorgio Mazzucchelli, Amanda Mace, Rachel Yager, Wonsuk Lee, Xiaoqian Wu, and Members
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: TPAC participants
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: can't specify as remote participants gather from all over the world

W3C Accessibility Maturity Model

  • Proposer: David Fazio (talk) 05:45, 17 August 2022 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: dfazio@helixopp.com
  • Summary: Presentation of the W3C Accessibility Maturity Model First Public Working Draft.
  • Type of session: Presentation and Open Discussion
  • Goals:
  • shortname: a11y Maturity
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: DAVID FAZIO, Janina Sajka, Sheri Byrne-Haber
  • Open to the public.
  • Timeslot constraints: None

Web Monetization

  • Proposer: Alex Lakatos
  • Email address of proposer: alex@interledger.org
  • Summary: Very short presentation of the changes to the Web Monetization community specification draft and gather feedback.
  • Type of session: Short Presentation and Open Discussion
  • Goals: Consulting W3C Members & gathering feedback for the new spec.
  • Open to the public.
  • shortname: web-monetization

Trusted Internet

Architecting for Privacy, Media Accessibility and Product development: the video element

  • Proposer: Nigel Megitt, email: nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk
  • Summary: Think about architectural models for allowing user accessibility choices while maintaining privacy and providing data to support product development, with reference to the video element in particular.
  • Type of session: Short talk and presentation followed by open discussion
  • Goals: Understand what architectural pattern(s) can allow user choices without exposing additional fingerprinting vectors or increasing privacy risks, while also providing usable product data.
  • Open to anyone
  • shortname: private-a11y
  • Constraints on timeslots: please avoid overlap with VTT Audio Descriptions and Independent Interoperable Implementations (both below)
  • Notes: https://www.w3.org/2022/09/14-private-a11y-minutes.html

U.S. Digital Accessibility Apprenticeship Program

  • Proposer: David Fazio (talk) 18:01, 18 August 2022 (UTC)
  • Email address of proposer: dfazio@helixopp.com
  • Summary: Presentation & tutorial on the ne Digital Accessibility Apprenticeship Program, funded, and governed by the U.S. Department of Labor.
  • Type of session: Presentation, Tutorial, and Open Discussion
  • Goals: Demystify what Apprenticeship means, funding available, how companies can participate. Present the newly established Digital Accessibility Apprenticeship, developed by Helix Opportunity with the U.S Department of Labor.
  • shortname: a11y Maturity
  • [optional] Additional speakers/panelists: David Fazio, Representative from the Division of Apprenticeship Standards
  • Open to the public.
  • Timeslot constraints: None

Web-based Digital Twins for Smart Cities

  • Proposer: Kazuyuki Ashimura
  • Email address of proposer: ashimura@w3.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): Discussion on Digital-twin services for Smart Cities specifilally about (1) what is already done by whom (SDOs, vendors, governments, etc.) in which area, (2) what is still missing for expected Web-based Smart Cities, and (3) who and how to lead the discussion to resolve the gaps.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk + open discussion
  • Goals: Identify the most important categories of problems to implement actual Smart Cities based on the exisitng and near future Web standards
  • shortname: smartcities
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to the public.
  • Timeslot constraints: 4:30pm strongly preferred
    • many of our speakers will be remote and calling in from Asia and Europe.
    • Also need to avoid the overlap with the WoT demo session.

WAI-Adapt Candidate Recommendation of Content Module 1.0: Overview

  • Proposer: Lionel Wolberger
  • Email address of proposer: lionel@userway.org
  • Summary: WAI-Adapt Content specification enables web content authors to support persons with various cognitive and learning disabilities, including users who need from more familiar icons (and other graphical symbols) in order to comprehend page content, require a simplified page in order to interact successfully, and/or communicate using symbolic languages generally known as Augmentative and Alternative Communications (AAC).
  • Type of session: short talk followed by discussion
  • Goals: socialize the specification as we are in Candidate Recommendation status
  • Additional speakers/panelists: TBD
  • open to the public

VTT-based Audio Descriptions for Media Accessibility

  • Proposer: Eric Carlson (in-person), James Craig (in-person),
  • Summary: Both Chromium and WebKit are prototyping support for text-based audio descriptions published as VTT. Come view a demo, discuss known issues, and share your feedback, opinions, and advice on this emerging technology.
  • Type of session: Brief preso and prototype demo, followed by open discussion.
  • Goals: Seeking opinions on technology and implementation, including usability feedback and opinions from regular users of audio description.
  • Open to anyone
  • IRC Channel: #audio-descriptions
  • Constraints on timeslots: Session should not conflict with other media captions/descriptions/video breakouts, like Nigel's listed above. Perhaps also the "Edge" discussion.

Same Party Federation (SSO)

  • Proposer: Sam Goto / Johann Hofmann
  • Invited: FedID CG, Privacy CG, WICG
  • Email address of proposer: goto@google.com
  • Summary: Short and long term, how should login to X with (an associated) Y work? e.g. login to instagram.com with facebook.com, audible.com with amazon.com, youtube.com with google.com and xbox.com/office.com with microsoft.com. Explicitly out of scope of the discussion: ccTLDs X/Y (e.g. login to example.ca with example.co.uk) and other FPS subsets.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • goals of session: gather UX considerations (prompts? auto-grant?), API considerations (e.g. Storage Access API?, First Party Sets?, FedCM?) and deployment considerations (e.g. what's the cardinality of these sets?).
  • Open to the public.
  • Timeslot constraints: 1:30pm, not conflicting with the FedCM breakout or the Future of Cookies session.
  • Shortname: SamePartyFederation

[Canceled] Migrating Multi-Screen Window Placement Spec Content

  • Facilitator: Mike Wasserman, email: <msw@google.com> (physically present)
  • Invited: Second Screen WG & CG, CSS WG, anyone familiar with WHATWG's HTML and Fullscreen Specs
  • Summary: This event is canceled. API discussion will take place in the [Second Screen WG meeting](https://www.w3.org/events/meetings/fdecce41-5aa8-4842-b3f6-c4f32c904922). The [Multi-Screen Window Placement](https://w3c.github.io/window-placement/) spec extends CSSOM-View, Fullscreen, and HTML definitions for multi-screen visual workspace support. We'll discuss alignment and migration of spec content to existing established specifications.
  • type of session: short presentation and open discussion
  • goals of session: Socialize multi-screen window placement spec content, explore alignment with established specs, define followup work items and opportunities.
  • Open to anyone
  • Shortname: window-placement (or multi-screen, or multi-screen-window-placement)
  • Timeslot constraints: Not conflicting with Second Screen WG nor CSS WG meetings.

WebViews - Usages & Challenges

  • Proposer: Rayan Kanso
  • Email address of proposer: rayankans@google.com
  • Session facilitators: rayankans@google.com (present), anqing.aq@alibaba-inc.com (remote)
  • Summary: Present the findings of the WebView CG & have an open discussion on further use-cases and challenges
  • Type: brief presentation + open discussion
  • Goals: Collect opinions & feedback on the report.
  • Open to the public
  • Shortname: webview-cg
  • Timeslot constraints: 11:15am or 4:30pm

Common Impact Data Standard

  • Proposer: Alicia Richins
  • Email: alicia.richins@commonapproach.org
  • Summary: An introduction to the Common Impact Data Standard (CIDS), including an overview of the impact measurement space, the social purpose ecosystem and the challenges that CIDS is designed to solve. We will discuss the technical specification and the possibility of a dedicated Working Group.
  • Type: presentation + open discussion
  • Goals: Gathering input and feedback on the standard; Drumming up interest in our proposed draft Working Group Charter; Identifying synergies with other W3C work/groups
  • Additional speakers: Mark Fox
  • Open to the public (virtual)
  • Shortname: cids
  • Timeslot constraints: 11:15am OR 1:30pm PT

File System

Project Fugu 🐡: What we have enabled

  • Proposer: Thomas Steiner (talk) (physically present)
  • Email address of proposer: tomac@google.com
  • Summary: A reflection of the apps that Project Fugu APIs have enabled, including a brief exploration of the present, the future of some of the enabling APIs, and our vision and dreams for the future.
  • Type of session: talk, followed by open discussion.
  • Goals: Reflect back and look forward.
  • Shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): project-fugu
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Ben Morss (physically present)
  • Even more additional speakers/panelists: Edit this Wiki and add yourself!
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public: Open to the public.
  • Time constrains: CET friendly time if possible

The upcoming navigation and session history rewrite

  • Proposer: Domenic Denicola (physically present)
  • Email address of proposer: d@domenic.me
  • Summary: Foundational parts of the HTML Standard, regarding navigation and session history, are being rewritten. Come find out why this is necessary, and what it means for your specs. If you've ever dealt with browsing contexts, iframes, etc., this might be relevant!
  • Type of session: brief talk with slides, followed by open discussion.
  • Goals: Make people familiar with these upcoming changes, and disseminate knowledge about these difficult areas.
  • Shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): navigation-rewrite
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Jake Archibald; Dominic Farolino
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public: Open to the public.
  • Time constraints: Don't clash with "Page transitions in the browser (Shared Element Transitions)"

From Open Standards to Strategic Innovation in Products and Services

  • Proposer: Rachel Yager (physically present)
  • Email address of proposer: ryager@w3.org or rachel@fortunetimesgroup.com
  • Summary: Innovation is the key to success in today's fast-paced, competitive marketplace. To be successful, companies must continuously create new and better products and services. But how can they do this? One answer is to embrace open standards. This Panel Session discusses Innovation best practices that allow companies to share knowledge, ideas, data, and code. We discuss strategies to promote collaboration and enable companies to leverage each other's Innovation Processes. Expert Speakers share enterprise success factors of adopting open standards to speed up the Innovation process, creating better products and services faster.
  • Type of session: Invited Panel Speakers with Open Discussion.
  • Goals: Innovation best practices and strategies.
  • Shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): strategic-innovation
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public: Open to the public.

Device APIs (Bluetooth, HID, Serial, USB)

  • Proposer: Vincent Scheib (Google)
  • Email address of proposer: scheib@google.com
  • Summary: Low level device APIs in incubation address a range of needs in education, industrial, small business, and enterprise. Many peripherals people expect to work with computers have become available to web applications. Chrome, Edge, and Samsung browsers have enabled Bluetooth, HID, Serial, and USB. We will discuss the adoption & developer interest to date, answer questions, and discuss opportunities for the web to serve more needs. Presentation Slides
  • Type of session: Presentation and discussion.
  • Goals: Build awareness, share what has been learned, answer questions. Solicit working group interest.
  • Shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): device-apis
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public: Open to the public.
  • Constraints on timeslots: 11:15am preferred to enable some remote attendees.

Fenced Frames API

  • Proposer: Dominic Farolino (physically present), Shivani Sharma (remotely present)
  • Email address of proposer: dom@chromium.org
  • Summary: A new web API for framing web content in a manner that's isolated from its embedder
  • Type of session: Brief talk with slides, followed by open discussion and opinion gathering
  • Goals: Make the community aware of fenced frames/its API shape, discuss the difficulties in this area, and and collect feedback from other engineers & partners
  • Shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): fenced-frames
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Shivani Sharma (shivanisha@chromium.org)
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public: Open to the public.

Maximising Back/Forward Cache hit-rate

  • Proposer: Fergal Daly
  • Email address of proposer: fergal@chromium.org
  • Summary: BFCache provides a big performance win for navigation but there are obstacles to pages successfully being cached - Cache-Control: no-store header, unload handlers, in-the-wild telemetry for cache misses. This covers proposals for solving these.
  • Slides: here
  • type of session: presentation and open discussion
  • goals of session: Get feedback on proposals for unload, Cache-control: no-store and not-restored reasons and any other ideas to improve hit-rate.
  • Open to anyone
  • Shortname: bfcache-hit-rate
  • Timeslot constraints: 4:30pm (presenters are in Tokyo).

Allowing public resources to opt-out of privacy protections

  • Proposer: Noam Rosenthal
  • Email address of proposer: nrosenthal@chromium.org
  • Summary: The abundance of privacy protection mechanisms (CORS, TAO & CORP to name a few) are great for protecting private user data, but make services jump through hoops when they want to serve resources that do not require privacy protection at all - public resources, such as free-for-all images on CDNs. This is an open discussion on how to make serving such content easier and more future proof.
  • Open to anyone
  • type of session: presentation and open discussion
  • goals of session: Get feedback on CORS, CORP, TAO and "public static resource" metadata. Reach a consensus on direction.
  • Shortname: access-control-public
  • Timeslot contraints: earliest possible, preferably 11:15 Wednesday, or 1:30pm otherwise (presenter in Israel)

CNAMEs as a privacy tool for the web / Bounce Tracking Mitigations

  • Proposer: Johann Hofmann, Greg Whitworth, Ben Kelly
  • Email address of proposer: johannhof@chromium.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): CNAME records have a reputation as a tool to circumvent resource-blocking and specific privacy measures. However, if used properly, they can help websites integrate third-party services without requiring third-party cookies, providing a great privacy benefit. We want to discuss how browsers could support privacy-preserving usage of CNAMEs while preventing potential abuse. Joint session with a brief overview of chrome's proposed bounce tracking mitigations following the CNAME discussion.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): open discussion
  • Goals: Hear about developer use cases and user concerns, kick off an open-minded discussion on the utility of CNAMEs. Maybe get some agreement across browsers on next steps. Increase aware of bounce tracking mitigations and solicit feedback on the proposal.
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): cname-bounce-tracking-privacy
  • Additional speakers/panelists: Kaustubha Govind, Kris Chapman, Ben Kelly
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: (3 possible slots: 1:30pm PT, 3pm PT, 4:30pm PT) 4:30pm

Antifraud Discussion

  • Proposer: Steven Valdez
  • Email address of proposer: svaldez@google.com
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): The Antifraud CG will use this breakout for further discussion about ad and payments fraud on the Web that arises during the joint meeting of multiple groups on Tuesday; details to follow.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): open discussion
  • Goals: Continue discussion from joint session
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): antifraud
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: Please avoid programming at the same time as the "IP address privacy" session

Independent Interoperable Implementation and going beyond Candidate Recommendation

  • Proposer: Philippe Le Hegaret
  • Email address of proposer: plh@w3.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): The W3C Process requires adequate implementation experience to be able to transition a document beyond Candidate Recommendation. Some of the past transitions raised concerns about how this should be interpreted. This session is intended to help the community get a better grip on the 3 Big Is – interoperable, independent, implementation.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): open discussion
  • Goals: Continue discussion from joint session
  • shortname (used for minting an IRC channel for the breakout): iii
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: none

Isolated Web Apps

  • Proposer: Reilly Grant
  • Email address of proposer: reillyg@google.com
  • Session facilitators and speakers: Reilly Grant (in-person) and Penny McLachlan (in-person)
  • Summary: Some developers need stronger security guarantees than can be provided by HTTPS and platforms like Electron show that building apps with HTML, CSS and JavaScript but packaging them like native apps is a popular pattern. Are there opportunities for standardization?
  • Type of session: Short presentation followed by open discussion
  • Goals: Introduce the challenges being addressed by the Isolated Web Apps proposal and elicit a discussion about this and other potential solutions.
  • Shortname: isolated-web-apps
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: none

Trusted Web

  • Proposer: Shigeya Suzuki
  • Email address of proposer: shigeya@wide.ad.jp
  • Session facilitators and speakers: Shigeya Suzuki (in-person)
  • Summary: Introduce the ongoing activity of the Trusted Web Promotion Council (TWPC) in Japan, which tries to promote a concept of broadening "trust" in cyberspace by using privacy-enabled data security technology such as DID/VC. (TWPC is organized by the Secretariat of the Headquarters for Digital Market Competition, Cabinet Secretariat, Japan)
  • Goals: Inform participants on the activity, get feedbacks, etc.
  • Shortname: trusted-web
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: please kindly avoid conflict with "Trusted Internet" session

Topics API

  • Proposer: Josh Karlin
  • Email address of proposer: jkarlin@google.com
  • Session facilitators and speakers: Josh Karlin (in-person)
  • Summary: Brief overview of Interest Based Advertising use case and the proposed Topics API as a solution. Informational. Most of the discussion focused on Q/A and driving thorny issues forward.
  • Type of session: Short presentation followed by open discussion.
  • Goals: Learn about concerns from other browsers, look for places we can align.
  • Shortname: topics-api
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: Open to public

Multicast

  • Proposer: Jake Holland
  • Email address of proposer: jholland@akamai.com
  • Session facilitators and speakers: Jake Holland (in-person)
  • Summary: Update on the Multicast Community Group activities: brief review of motivation and purpose, an overview of draft-jholland-quic-multicast and status on the aioquic implementation, and discussion of the path to browser adoption.
  • Type of session: Talk followed by open discussion.
  • Goals: give a status update, gather feedback
  • Shortname: multicast
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: none

Document Configuration in HTML

  • Proposer: Ian Clelland
  • Email address of proposer: iclelland@google.com
  • Session facilitators and speakers: Ian Clelland (in-person)
  • Summary: A potentially crazy idea to move (some) document configuration out of HTTP header space into HTML, in a way that allows document authors to set configuration for their own documents, while (hopefully) avoiding most of the concerns around XSS / injection that existing mechanisms have.
  • Type of session: Talk followed by open discussion.
  • Goals: Determine whether this idea is too crazy to succeed, or just crazy enough
  • Shortname: config-in-html
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: Open to public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: none

W3Cx and edX: Embracing Digital Partnership to Serve Learners Around the World

  • facilitators: Stephanie Aliquo, Marie-Claire Forgue, Alan Bird
  • summary: W3Cx is W3C's partnership with edX since 2015. This is where we offer MOOCs on core Web technologies. W3Cx’s catalog is composed of 7 MOOCs: in addition to the Front-End Web Developer program (5 courses on HTML5, CSS and JS), W3C produced "Introduction to Web Accessibility" (available until 31 December 2022) and "Introduction to Web Authentication" (new session to be launched on 8 Nov. 2022, in partnership with Yubico). edX/2U offer a leading global online learning platform. To date, we serve over 44 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 3,600 digital education offerings—from free courses to full degrees—and helping unlock human potential.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • goal of session:
    • After short presentations related to the W3Cx program, the recent edX/2U merge and what is edX for business, we invite discussions on what skills/Web technos/W3Cx courses are missing from the platform for the benefit of millions of future developers and designers.
  • open to public
  • shortname: w3cx
  • preferred time: 2pm PST or earlier

Improving the Web Developer Experience

  • facilitators: Dominique Hazael-Massieux, Kadir Topal
  • summary: A recurring theme in conversations with and surveys of Web developers is how less polished the developer experience is for the Web compared to e.g. native platforms. While some of this gap is unavoidable in a platform anchored in competing implementations of open standards, there is also likely room for a lot of improvements through better coordination of browser and dev tools providers. This breakout offers to identify such opportunities and will report on some early discussions around coordinated developer-targeting research (as was done with the MDN DNA survey) and increasing the understanding of the interoperable surface of the Web platform (as illustrated by the Interop 2022 effort)
  • type of session: short presentation and open discussion
  • goals of session:
    • Sketch a shared understanding of the current limitations of the Web Developer Experience
    • Identify opportunities for collaboration on improving the Web Developer Experience
  • open to public
  • shortname: webdx

Where's the Web in Web3?

  • facilitator: Erik Lagerway
  • summary: Web3 means many things to many people. Some see Web3 as a collection of existing technology that is used to scam many newcomers of their wallet contents. Others see this as a means to a future state where the world's transactions are made on a distributed ledger or blockchain. In this session, we will be exploring what Web3 means to those building in the space and where the intersection of Internet standards might occur, if at all. Think of this as an exploratory conversation with participants in the field and those that are curious about the future of this technology.
  • type of session: discussion
  • goals of session: Exploration
  • open to public
  • shortname: web3
  • preferred time: (TBD); please do not schedule at same time as Web Monetization session.

Documenting the Web platform: Open Web Docs and MDN

  • Proposer: Will Bamberg
  • Email address of proposer: will@openwebdocs.org
  • Summary (one-sentence or so): What Open Web Docs is and how we document the Web on MDN.
  • Type of session (e.g.: open discussion, talk, panel, etc.): talk and open discussion
  • Goals: Learn about what Open Web Docs is, what we do, how you can help us document the web platform, and how we can help you get your work documented on MDN
  • shortname: open-web-docs
  • limited to TPAC participants or open to the public?: Open to the public
  • [optional] Timeslot constraints: None

Interop 2023

  • facilitators: Philip Jägenstedt, Chris Harrelson
  • summary: Interop 2023 is opening up for proposals on September 15.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • goals of session:
    • Raise awareness about Interop 2023 in the W3C community.
    • Answer questions about how the process will work and what kinds of proposals are likely to be successful.
    • Open discussion about specific proposals anyone is considering submitting.
  • open to public
  • preferred time: ending before 3pm Pacific Time, earlier is better.

Sustainability for the Web and W3C

  • facilitators: Nick Doty, Tantek Çelik (s12y CG co-chairs)
  • summary: The climate crisis requires urgent action to reduce energy usage and carbon emissions and there is varied interest in systematic work to make the Internet and the Web more sustainable.
  • type of session: open discussion
  • goals:
    • identifying areas of potential work and making connections for active ongoing work
    • considering metrics for energy/carbon emissions of Web usage
    • measuring emissions from W3C meetings (and how to reduce them)
    • working mode for sustainable website development (sustyweb) and horizontal reviews of web features for sustainability (sustainabilitycg)
  • open to the public

Element Capture

  • Proposer: Elad Alon, Mark Foltz
  • Email address of proposer: eladalon@google.com, mfoltz@google.com
  • Session facilitators and speakers: Elad Alon (in-person)
  • Summary: API for capturing an Element as a video stream. Think HTMLCanvasElement.captureStream for an arbitrary type of Element.
  • Type of session: Short presentation followed by open discussion.
  • Goals:
    • Explain use cases and relationship to other capture mechanisms.
    • Identify interested parties and their requirements.
    • Discuss the inherent security challenges and possible solutions.
  • Shortname: element-capture
  • Slides: here
  • Minutes
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • Timeslot contraints: Preferrably not 11:15-12:15, 13:30-14:30, or 16:30-17:30.

Rich copy paste

  • Proposer: Paul Libbrecht
  • Email address of proposer: paul@hoplahup.net
  • Summary: Explore when users exchange rich data through the copy and paste transfer mechanism.
  • Goals: present what currently works to exchange rich content with the copy and paste mechanism where we-browsers are involved. Potentially with the support of some tools. We might be able to discover new paths and/or find out new expectations or dangerous situations.
  • Shortname: rich copy-paste
  • Limited to TPAC participants or open to the public? Open to public
  • Timeslots constraints: avoid 11:15 am
  • type of session: open discussion and demonstration