Tracking and AR related technologies have evolved quite quickly over the last 15 years across a wide range of platforms. This diagram shows how the Web Platform is the latest home for their evolution.
Here is a collection of demos and projects that provide working examples of what is possible with the Augmented Web. These examples are completely based upon Web Standards and run within the leading edge mainstream web browsers.
- PostIt Ping Pong – http://protothon.com/blog/2012/mar/27/blue-stripes-ping-pong/
A cute demo created at the WebRTC protothon that uses coloured PostIt notes and WebRTC/WebGL to create a “multi-player over the web” interactive ping pong game.
Fiducial Marker Tracking
- JSARToolkit – https://github.com/kig/JSARToolKit
- JS-ARUCO – http://code.google.com/p/js-aruco/
Location Based AR
This demonstration combines geolocation, camera access and device orientation to provide an augmented reality Web app that overlays a few points of interest on top of a live video stream.
- WebRTC Head Tracking – http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/head-tracking-with-webrtc/
- Facekat – http://www.shinydemos.com/facekat/
- Magic Xylophone – http://www.soundstep.com/blog/experiments/jsdetection/
Have fun playing a magic xylophone with just your web browser and your camera. Wave your hands around to create a musical masterpiece.
- JS-Handtracking – http://code.google.com/p/js-handtracking/
- AWE Kinect – https://github.com/buildar/awe_kinect
This project makes the Kinect Skeleton data available as a JSON feed via web sockets so any modern web browser can now easily support full body gestures and interactions.
Interestingly, the new Leap Motion device comes with a Web Sockets based API so it can easily be integrated into Augmented Web applications. This demo shows how computer vision and gesture tracking can be integrated together.
Natural Feature Tracking
A demonstration of Simultaneous Localisation and Mapping using HTML5 and Processing.js.
- XB PointStream – http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/XB_PointStream
Anaglyph Point Clouds demo