Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

14 December 2022


AvneeshSingh, becky, Fazio, Fredrik, irfanAli, janina, Lionel, matatk, nadine, PaulG
Alisa, Gottfried, Niklas, Todd
Fazio, janina

Meeting minutes

<Lionel> Lionel warns the chairs— I have intermittent bandwidth.

Agenda Review & Announcements

matatk: janina: Reminds this last call of 2022; Next is 4 Jan 2023

becky: Announces she is withdrawing from W3C because of over scheduling; thanks to everyone

[people wish Becky the best and offer their thanks]

<Lionel_> +1 Becky welcome back anytime

paul: Notes Pronunciation will begin meeting Mondays at 11:00 Boston; and will meet this coming Monday

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Web Payment Security Interest Group Charter

<matatk> - charter: https://www.w3.org/securepay/charter

janina: Asks Lionel to look at Charter, we have an interest in specific objectives in the wider ecosystem

ACTION: Lionel to review and propose specific a11y liaison due 20230104

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2335 - Review and propose specific a11y liaison due 20230104 [on Lionel Wolberger - due 2022-12-21].

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

no items this week

New on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

JSON Web Signature 2020

<matatk> - tracker: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/JSON_Web_Signature_2020

matatk: reads overview

[group agrees no need to review]

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

<matatk> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/UI_Events_KeyboardEvent_code_Values

<matatk> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/UI_Events_KeyboardEvent_key_Values

fredrik: Need until January

matatk: We definitely need to close this in January

Fredrik: OK

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

paul: only one item in last mtg

<PaulG> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4264

paul: css scroll anchoring, and adding values

paul: default is that scroll position is maintained so the window doesn't jump around

paul: can be user overwritten

paul: suggestion is some additional prefer type velues

paul: believe little for us

paul: goal is to have user intent in viewport; but still give authors a bit of control

matatk: sounds like a good thing

matatk: wondering about convergence with focus always visible in wcag 2.2? Any interaction with that SC?

paul: feel like no clash

paul: not when focus is changing, but whether it moves or stays put when content is loaded around it

paul: possible there could be implementation issues, but so far don't see a problem

Task Force & Deliverables Updates


matatk: FPWD of AAC registry published yesterday

<matatk> https://www.w3.org/TR/aac-registry/

matatk: solves the "tower of babel" problem of aac symbol sets, and allows web content to be annotated

matatk: notes has an authoring assist tool in prep

matatk: this registry spec is normative support for WAI-Adapt Symbols Module 1.0 that we expect will go CR next week

matatk: request to transition is in

matatk: we're trying for next year, so we will have it this year

matatk: but regardless, this is a very big deal

matatk: notes this has been in the works for over a decade

janina: Notes that implementations during CR will give us major press release opportunities, because it brings AAC users onto web


janina: Meeting moves to Mondays at 11:00 AM Boston effective 2023

matatk: In other words immediately following adapt telecon

Maturity Model

janina: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/maturity-model/


matatk: Already announced time of call moving to Mondays at 11:00 AM Boston


janina: Notes RQTF resuming 4 Jan

janina: Special call on 25 Jan for research process considerations WAI-wide

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open


<trackbot> action-2130: Janina Sajka to Review overview of the coveragejson format https://www.w3.org/tr/covjson-overview/ -- due 2017-06-21 -- CLOSED

Epub Review

janina see above link

<matatk> Tracking in the wiki for Epub review: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/EPUB_3.3 (which links to the other two EPUB specs)

fredrik: trust Janina's view -- no reason to hold

avneesh: Notes January is our next mtg; Up to you

fredrik: OK, I'll look through and respond on email

janina: Notes 3.3 is current and showstoppers and obvious fixes

janina: we have exciting next steps for epub.next as discussed during TPAC last

avneesh: Yes

Digital Accessibility Developer Apprenticeship

Helix Opportunity LLC Digital Accessibility Developer Apprenticeship has been approved by U.S. Dept of Labor and CA Dept of Industrial Relations.

San Joaquin County Office of Education is providing Local Education Agency oversight, certifying that the program meets requirements of the California Educational Code.

This program is backed by ongoing federal, and state funding. It operates as a post-secondary education program, with 242 hours of required classroom instruction, administered by lecturers, with assignments, tests, activities, etc. plus a 2,000 hour On Job Learning component.

We are seeking adjunct faculty to build Lesson Plans, Syllabi, and teach. We are actively seeking employer partners to provide the On Job Learning. For more details contact David Fazio dfazio@helixopp.com

janina: aThis is an announcement for the first topic above

Review Verifiable Credential Data Integrity

<matatk> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2022Nov/0045.html

lionel: have reviewed VC data integrity fpwd

lionel: sent to list ...

lionel: this is credential implementers

lionel: use of credentials is deliberately out of scope

lionel: if use is out of scope, is usability out of scope?

lionel: propose paragraph

lionel: Proposes Accessibility Considerations para per his email

matatk: find this helpful, and the background helpful

matatk: suggest the minor issues just reported on github

matatk: We do need CfC on Accessibility Considerations;

matatk: this has parallels with WoT; and presenting them to WoT helped get them engaged on those with mfgs

matatk: we might need to present some examples, if we can, of some a11y issues to justify this a bit more

matatk: believe rqtf may have data already we can copy

janina: proposes CfC in January based on Lionel's proposal, perhaps with an example or two

Other Business

be done for the year; thank you and well done, all!

<AvneeshSingh> +1 APA has really achieved a lot. Thank you!

matatk: Thanks everyone for lots of good work in the year. We've done some marvelous work, and quite a lot of it.

<Lionel> +1 to the amazing year, amazing work, thanks to the chairs!

matatk: Enjoy the hollidays and we look forward to 2023!

Summary of action items

  1. Lionel to review and propose specific a11y liaison due 20230104
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 196 (Thu Oct 27 17:06:44 2022 UTC).


Succeeded: s/janina: Announces she is/becky: Announces she is/

Succeeded: s/Apprenticship/Apprenticeship/

Maybe present: avneesh, paul

All speakers: avneesh, becky, fredrik, janina, lionel, matatk, paul

Active on IRC: AvneeshSingh, becky, Fazio, Fredrik, irfanAli, janina, Lionel, Lionel_, matatk, nadine, PaulG