Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

30 November 2022


Fredrik, Gottfried, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, mike_beganyi, nadine, niklasegger, PaulG, Roy

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

PaulG: Still working through CSS docs, identifying those to follow up with.

<Lionel_Wolberger> Lionel apologizes in advance -- will have some bandwidth outages later in the call. Use IRC if you don't hear me answer

matatk: Thanks. Goal is not a review, just filtering.

janina: Embedding SSML a potential problem with screen readers.

PaulG: I responded to the Pronunciation new meeting time survey.

<janina> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2022Nov/0000.html

janina: Please look at this FPWD on a registry specification. Underpinning for WAI-ADAPT work.
… CfC through next Tue.
… Suggestions for improvement are welcome

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

No new charters this week

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

[scroll-animations] TAG feedback: interaction with prefers reduced motion

<Roy> - issue: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5321

<Roy> - tracking related spec at: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Scroll-linked_Animations

Roy: Any feedback from APA?

matatk: Have not seen feedback from ARIA wg.

Roy: James Craig had some feedback.

<Roy> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5321#issuecomment-705262064

<Roy> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Scroll-linked_Animations

matatk: In a previous meeting, we discussed this. We concluded that this does not introduce new accessibility concerns.
… Linking animation timeline to scrolling timeline is new though, but seems user-friendly.
… But we should wait for the feedback from ARIA.

<matatk> This is where we previously discussed it: https://www.w3.org/2022/11/02-apa-minutes#t10

New on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

 RDF Dataset Canonicalization

<Roy> - spec: https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-canon/

<Roy> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/RDF_Dataset_Canonicalization

A11y Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

RDF Dataset Canonicalization

Roy: I don't see a11y issues here.

matatk: I agree.
… So no need to review.

New on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Roy: I have no items other than RDF.

Web of Things

janina: Niklas and Gottfried are reviewing the Web of Things architecture spec.

<matatk> Info and minutes from our pre-TPAC discussion with RQTF and WoT, which was very promising: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2022#Web_of_Things_Accessibility

<janina> https://w3c.github.io/wot-profile/#accessibility

janina: We have the rest of the year for review.

<matatk> Also here's our tracking page on the Wiki: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Web_of_Things_(WoT)_Architecture_1.1

janina: Please look at this section. I think it is underspecifying.
… Consider also middleware issues on manufacturers' apps.
… These apps are often awful regarding a11y.
… I have some bad experiences with my thermostat app after a reboot.

matatk: We will wait on Niklas and Gottfried for drafting a response.

niklasegger: Did not look yet at profile doc. Architecture doc is on my agenda.
… for next meeting.

janina: I have a microwave from Amazon. It occassionaly loses its connection, and i have to unplug and plug in again.
… Summary: Thermostats, light bulbs, microwave oven.

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

UI Events KeyboardEvent key Values

<Roy> - TR: [http://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-key/](http://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-key/)

<Roy> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/UI_Events_KeyboardEvent_key_Values

<Roy> - Horizontal Review request: https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues/47

<Roy> - to CR: ASAP

UI Events KeyboardEvent code Values

<Roy> - TR: [https://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-code/](https://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-code/)

<Roy> - tracking: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/UI_Events_KeyboardEvent_code_Values

<Roy> - Horizontal Review request: https://github.com/w3c/a11y-request/issues/48

<Roy> - to CR: February 2023

Roy: The two docs are similar.
… We have reviewed them 6 years ago. But need another review since they target CR again.

matatk: Who can review these?

Roy: Last time, we did not find a11y issues.

Fredrik: I can do.

ACTION: Fredrik to review http://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-key/ due 2022-12-12

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2333 - Review http://www.w3.org/tr/uievents-key/ due 2022-12-12 [on Fredrik Fischer - due 2022-12-07].

ACTION: Fredrik to review https://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-code/ due 2022-12-12

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2334 - Review https://www.w3.org/tr/uievents-code/ due 2022-12-12 [on Fredrik Fischer - due 2022-12-07].

matatk: The key spec is fairly simple.
… I wonder how accessible the pictures are in the spec.

janina: Yes, always check this.
… Also, if long descriptions are missing.

matatk: No accessibility consideration sections in neither of them.

janina: "Accessibility considerations" is relatively new. Some groups are receptive for it.

matatk: The word "accessibility" does not occur in the key spec. But it comes up a lot in the events spec.

CSS Update (Paul) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

matatk: We got an update from Paul. Nothing else.

Task Force & Deliverables Updates


janina: CTAUR is published. https://www.w3.org/TR/2022/DNOTE-ctaur-20221108/

<matatk> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-announce/2022OctDec/0005.html

matatk: Short turnaround on this doc. Feedback is welcome.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Other Business

matatk: Draft minutes have a long delay.

W3C Workshop on Permissions

<matatk> https://www.w3.org/Privacy/permissions-ws-2022/

matatk: W3C is hosting on user permissions. Includes user interface, device authentications, privacy issues, etc.
… People organizing the workshop want to get a11y feedback.
… We will attend probably remotely.
… Workshop is in Munich.
… Janina and/or Matthew will attend remotely.
… Workshop report will be available afterwards. Can continue discussion from there.

janina: Are others interested in participating?

matatk: We should ask the organizers if other persons can come in. I will do so.
… Will post to APA reflector if possible.

be done

matatk: Meeting adjourned.

Summary of action items

  1. Fredrik to review http://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-key/ due 2022-12-12
  2. Fredrik to review https://www.w3.org/TR/uievents-code/ due 2022-12-12
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 196 (Thu Oct 27 17:06:44 2022 UTC).


Succeeded: s/Embedding SMIL/Embedding SSML/

Succeeded: s/I responded to the survey./I responded to the Pronunciation new meeting time survey./

Succeeded: s/Roy:/matatk:

All speakers: Fredrik, janina, matatk, niklasegger, PaulG, Roy

Active on IRC: Fredrik, Gottfried, janina, Lionel_Wolberger, matatk, mike_beganyi, nadine, niklasegger, PaulG, Roy