Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

07 July 2022


aaronchu, Jennie, julierawe, Lisa, Rain, rashmi, Roy, ShawnT
Albert, EA, John K, le

Meeting minutes

<Lisa> agenda

<Lisa> fyi mental health is next

<Lisa> zakim , next item

scribe sign up https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Scribe_list

Lisa: Reminder - please sign up to scribe

<Lisa> close item 1

Scribing guide: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Scribing_Commands_and_Related_Info

updates and actions https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#heading=h.1bvszq5s0esc also look at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n_pV-lbgorW2oihIB4EdONOFN0EcRmBAkmUEEPdTAEw/edit#

Lisa: This a link to the actions document

Lisa: There is a table of the different subgroups.
… Mental health subgroup is working on a literary review, and analysis
… They also have a meeting after this call

Rashmi: I would like to ask Rain if she would join today's meeting. Everyone is also welcome

Rain: Yes.

Rashmi: That would be great.

Lisa: Rain is working on the structural review for content usable
… And I saw the form that came before the meeting in an email. And we have an agenda item later in this call.

Rain: We are still working on getting analytics data.
… Thank you to Roy

Roy: I spoke with staff from the W3C
… Now we have all of the document published into the TR space for this year
… The data for last year we don't have
… The document published into the space
… There is another issue - we cannot find all of the data from the Wiki page
… I am still working on this

Rain: Regarding the structure - the survey is now built out as a survey, ready for review
… Once we get the analytics information, we can start to look at what that means

Lisa: Thank you
… Clear Language.

Julie: We are working on the plan. I am trying to wrap up the EO stuff so I can focus on this.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15HtPkkYx1CIl6bAwP2nsSZKhqTVbqcuMDRz5RmtmvXg/edit#

Julie: We want to align on which of the Clear Language methods or patterns will work for a pass/fail test, which for a protocol
… Then working in conjunction with the testing subgroup - developing a template to make a rigorous protocol

Lisa: Shawn and Jennie?

Shawn: Jennie and I are meeting tomorrow to talk about the testing subgroup. We will have more updates next week.

Lisa: Thank you. The research plan and strategy - we had some questions. Aron and I are co-leading for now.
… The question is for Rain - do we want to send this out with your group, or separately?

Rain: I would suggest that we keep them separate. We want to get the feedback. We don't want to lose people.
… After speaking people that are researchers - there is concern that there is already so much density to the survey
… I would suggest that we chunk our surveys out into smaller bits
… It will also make it easier for us to parse the data

Lisa: OK, does anyone object to this?

Aaron: I agree with this. I think it will help to be more focused for both surveys

Lisa: OK. Rain - we would like to share resources on how the surveys are made. Can you share that with the research planning group?

Rain: Yes, and I would be happy to help
… I think we should keep using the tools we are already using.
… And I can help socialize it with the community group as well.

Lisa: Images subgroup?

Jennie: no updates

Lisa: I am moving to requests from other groups. The remote meetings - that is going to CR.
… We had documented issues, and Rain had put those into their github

<Lisa> :https://github.com/w3c/apa/issues/264

Lisa: They closed the issue
… I don't think they linked to new issues, where they opened and divided it

<Lisa> remote meeting addressed https://w3c.github.io/remote-meetings/

Lisa: I am not confident that they addressed our issues
… They said they split it up, gave a list of numbers

<Lisa> : Moved to issues: 292 291 290 289 288 287 286 285 284 283 264

Lisa: We need to have a look at it, and see where we think they met what we were asking, where they didn't, and if we are comfortable with it
… Shawn from APA is really trying to help us
… 1. We need to work on better communicating with APA
… 2. One of us needs to go through it, make a document like Julie did
… This would make it easier than opening all the issues

<Lisa> aja next

Rain: I volunteer to make the document

Lisa: Fantastic!
… We need to remember that they are trying.
… Functional needs we are working on, and have an agenda item. The same is true for EO.
… Everything else is post-poned
… Any action items here - Aaron - are you stuck with any of the papers?

Aaron: I started with one from the Wallstreet Journal, and another

Lisa: We have a subgroup meeting after this, and we can go into detail after this

Jennie: I sent Michael C an email about the guardianship language. I have no other updates today

Lisa: OK. Julie, your document looked really, really good
… Maybe we should look at it right now.

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1809gYmIMBwndPWFeENo2uMdK_96cutyivcfLa5my0aY/edit#

Julie: There was a really interesting suggestion - about a way to switch from the medical model to not using the medical model
… Unfortunately because with this document we need to follow EO's model, and they have used a medical model on the other pages
… And because EO is very focused on sticking with their templates, I don't think we can do that right now

Lisa: Maybe if an issue is opened, then that could be reviewed

Shawn: The French translation is done. We just need it reviewed by Translation

Lisa: One thing I added to my to-dos, on a monthly basis, I will look at announcements

Do we want to send this survey for research planning with UXR or separately? Is there a reason to do it together (10 minutes) SHould we just share resources? See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n_pV-lbgorW2oihIB4EdONOFN0EcRmBAkmUEEPdTAEw/edit#

<ShawnT> Lē sends their regrets

<Lisa> close item 3

Rain: It would be good to share the form

<Lisa> https://forms.gle/EnzR7i76zo1TovFbA

Rain: We started with detail, with limited formatting options
… There is a thank you, followed by information about what Making Content Usable is
… There is information about COGA and the parent working groups
… There is information about why we are reaching out
… Then there is a section about how long it may take to complete the form
… The questions have been revised with feedback from the Community Group, from Julie, and from a couple of researchers I had help me who specifically work with people with cognitive disabilities
… We avoided likert scales, and tried to make sure all the answers are very straight forward, or not subjective
… Depending on how you answer the questions on the 1st page, then different questions open up
… At the end is a final page everyone gets
… It shares other documents from the COGA group, and ask if they would be willing to have a follow up conversation
… The last question is if they are willing to answer more questions about themselves
… If yes, we ask about their country, their accommodations they use, if someone helped them complete the form, their age, and how long they have been involved in digital accessibility

Rain: We can share information with the research group so you can do more targeted follow up

Julie: I think this looks really good
… The new introducton section looks long
… Would you be open to some suggestions about streamlining? It would help get to the questions faster

Rain: Yes, definitely open to suggestions
… I was trying to follow with a group that I work with in the UK.
… This is not exactly Easy Read, but tried to follow what they use

Julie: It is not about being verbose. There are some bullets that are not absolutely essential.

Rain: Yes please

<Rain> new text: How long have you been an advocate for and/or actively involved with digital accessibility?

<Zakim> ShawnT, you wanted to speak about setting up an introduction page

Jennie: I think we need to be sure to use the word advocate

Rain: OK, I can update the language

ShawnT: I think it would be great to have this on a webpage, with a link to this form.

Lisa: Then people could have a more button, or jump to the form

ShawnT: That, but also the email could include the introduction, but the link could bring them directly to the questions

Rain: That is a good suggestion, and would help with formatting.
… My concern about the recruitment process is how it is shared
… Through the chain I would be worried that the webpage would get lost.

Shawn: Could we put a link to the introduction on the form?

Rain: Yes, we could

Jennie: +1

Lisa: What we don't want to do is pre-select people that can get through it

Rashmi: In the introduction could we move the 4th bullet to the 2nd one?

<Lisa> +1

Rain: Yes, absolutely we can
… Maybe Making Content Usable as the 1st bullet

Julie: In the intro, I love the section headers. Having them as questions may cause confusion by people coming to answer questions in a survey.

<Lisa> +1

<Lisa> (I had that confusion)

Julie: Maybe it is "Purpose of Making Content Usable"
… Helps define that they do not need to answer those questions

Rain: That is great feedback - I am changing that now

Lisa: Do we feel comfortable that other than the suggestions made, are we comfortable with approving it and giving Rain discretion to make the changes?

<julierawe> +1

<ShawnT> +1


<aaronchu> +1

<rashmi> +1

<Lisa> +1 if you are happy to aprove it if rain the intro -1, want to see the next version

<Lisa> +1

Lisa: OK, Rain that's fantastic

ICCHP schedule based on who has said they will attend, and during what times: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TO-oh_T6-ql2B-WrD1JSEyqNEZ0Kc3kvDym_3Z8nYrA/edit#heading=h.3kebfqkpxn8v who is doing what

Lisa: The face to face meeting
… It is next week

<Lisa> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Meetings/July-2022

Lisa: We need to make sure we know what is going on, and who is doing what
… It is on July 12
… Can we add the day of the week?

Rain: I am adding the day of the week right now - Tuesday

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TO-oh_T6-ql2B-WrD1JSEyqNEZ0Kc3kvDym_3Z8nYrA/edit#

Lisa: Looking at the agenda
… Is everybody happy with it
… And the call in information
… There is different call in information than I had thought
… Roy: should we use my Zoom or the normal Zoom

Rain: A 3rd option to consider could be using a Google Meet that I set up, since I am the coordinator of this particular focus
… This would let me bring in people in different ways

Lisa: Does anyone have a concern about doing this?

<Lisa> any problem using google meet?

Roy: I think it is ok from the W3C

<ShawnT> I've have problems with Google meet in Safari

Rain: Shawn - you and I can try to work on that separately

ShawnT: I have had problems with it in the passed, with Safari

Lisa: Do you want use to use Zoom then?

ShawnT: I am fine using it but can get around it using a different browser

Lisa: OK, we will use the Google Meet, and we need to update it on both pages, and send out a reminder

Rain: I can do that by the end of the day tomorrow

Lisa: OK

<ShawnT> +1 to use Google meet

Lisa: We also need to send a reminder to the list

Lisa: We have the face to face schedule
… Session 1 will most likely by just Rain and me
… Session 2 a small groupw ill work on tests for Clear Language
… After lunch we will look at the Structure for Content Usable
… After the coffee break we will work on next steps for research
… Mental health is not here because there is a panel on this on Friday
… Are we ok with this schedule?

<ShawnT> Are the times in EST time?

Lisa: OK. The bit we are leading is on July 15, at 8am in European Time zone in mental health

<ShawnT> "All times below are in Lecco, Italy time"

Lisa: And one at 10:15 on Content Usable

Rain: I will try to use the same Google Meet for those
… I hope to have multiple computers

Lisa: I have added information into the document
… Who is doing the deck for the Making Content Usable?

Rain: I have it started
… It is linked from the document
… Feel free to make comments
… David and I will be there in person. Lisa will be calling in
… The deck has speaker notes
… We can take turns
… I think we should finish the deck before deciding who will speak about what
… We got this under how mental health and accessibility intersect
… Rashmi is working on those slides - starting at slide 26
… We end with next steps
… I will add short links
… Please feel free to make comments
… Don't worry about formatting

Lisa: I thought inclusion forums were only 10 or 20 minutes

Rain: Are you thinking of the poster session? We have 90 minutes for this

Lisa: Does the mental health group also have 90 minutes?

Rain: The times are on the ICCHP face to face
… We have 8-9 for the Mental Health conversation we are leading
… We have time to share what we are doing
… And the hope is to hear about what others are doing
… We have an hour for that - it is a project conversation

Lisa: OK, that's great

Lisa: OK Rain is taking the lead on the Content Usable deck, I am the lead on the Mental Health slide deck. Anything else we are missing?

Rashmi: Should we add mental health data on the 5th slide

Rain: please feel free to make the edit

Jennie: please add the time zone information in the schedule section

[Rain] Get consensus to make the structure survey publicly available https://forms.gle/EnzR7i76zo1TovFbA

Rain: Yes, and I will add it in several places

Lisa: Did we approve the EO draft?

<ShawnT> Central European Summer Time (GMT+2)

<Lisa> topic EO draft

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1809gYmIMBwndPWFeENo2uMdK_96cutyivcfLa5my0aY/edit#

Lisa: To me it looked really good - this is a draft that Julie made
… I think we can approve it that Julie can review comments, take them at her discretion

<Rain> I just want to document in our record that Julie has done an incredible job with this work. Thank you!

<Lisa> subject to minor adressing comments: do we aprove this

<Lisa> going to eo

<Lisa> +1 yes. -1 no, 0 is unsure

<Rain> +1

<Lisa> +1

<rashmi> +1

<julierawe> +1

Jennie: +1 (because I trust Julie, but did not have time to review)

<julierawe> Thank you, Jennie, ha!

<ShawnT> +1

Lisa: OK, that passes

Lisa: At the top of the hour is the mental health subgroup
… Anyone can join

mental health

<Lisa> Linkas: home page: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups/Mental_Health mental health reaserch tracking: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XWmikm5Ein5CQ02knEJ5iGzO1YJMilTMBJ_aLVCTzs0/edit#heading=h.bc4vqyklmnk0 Please add your review at [Form for adding new reserch]: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGrqJKV7RluoYrKHJN8cBJH3w9sDx7lAlAhcV0BeBTUVybkw/viewform spreadsheet with papers reviewed so far:https://docs.google.com/spr[CUT]

<julierawe> Have a good week, everyone!

<Lisa> zakim close item 5

<Lisa> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1HVF1lxLPq_eBR5oeowBCJWTpqQEdzVpWXai_rSbnS5U/edit#slide=id.g13b79bdd9ba_0_20

Litary review questions rap up by end sept

<Lisa> links : home page: https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Subgroups/Mental_Health mental health reaserch tracking: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XWmikm5Ein5CQ02knEJ5iGzO1YJMilTMBJ_aLVCTzs0/edit#heading=h.bc4vqyklmnk0 Please add your review at [Form for adding new reserch]: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGrqJKV7RluoYrKHJN8cBJH3w9sDx7lAlAhcV0BeBTUVybkw/viewform spreadsheet with papers reviewed so far:https://docs.google.com/spr[CUT]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 192 (Tue Jun 28 16:55:30 2022 UTC).


Maybe present: Aaron, Julie, Shawn