Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

12 August 2021


cweidner, Fazio, JohnRochford, kirkwood, LisaSeemanKest, Roy, stevelee_

Meeting minutes

<LisaSeemanKest> publish minets

Check in with all sub-groups and action requests https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage

JohnK: Update on Guardianship policy. Working on drafting a doc for companies to share.

Lisa: Working with Jan to input additional patterns into Clear Words. Would you (Chris) want to help with that?

Chris W: Sure. I have a colleague working on this as well and I'll share.

Lisa: If anyone is interested doing lit reviews reviewing research papers or user needs please reach out.

John K: Is there a central lit review hub?

<LisaSeemanKest> form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGrqJKV7RluoYrKHJN8cBJH3w9sDx7lAlAhcV0BeBTUVybkw/viewform

<kirkwood> Lit review form

<kirkwood> and tracking ov papers:

<LisaSeemanKest> tracking what pepers are done https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XWmikm5Ein5CQ02knEJ5iGzO1YJMilTMBJ_aLVCTzs0/edit?usp=sharing

Lisa: Have we completed adding emails to the participant page?

Roy: Yes, that's complete.

Lisa: Progress on anonymous participation?

Rachel: Taking it to management.

Rachel: Draft process in development, will be sharing with this group when more final.

Reminder, next two weeks are off and present+ yourself before the meeting ends

<LisaSeemanKest> close item 2

Continue working on WCAG 2.2 actions including common objects

<LisaSeemanKest> https://github.com/w3c/wcag/labels/COGA

Lisa: A few open issues, but the only one that immediately needs our feedback is common objects.

Defining common objs has gone back and forth a bit.

<kirkwood> defining common objects issue being discussed

<LisaSeemanKest> https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/1902

<kirkwood> is there a way to summarize where we are at?

<Rachael> current text: If the test is based on something the website has set such as remembering or transcribing a word, or recognising a picture the website provided, that would be a cognitive functional test. Recognising common objects, or a picture the user has provided, would not be a cognitive functional test.

Lisa: COGA perspective on what is considered to be a functional test was challenging for Silver group to accept

*cognitive functional test

Concern that there needs to be a block for internet spam, bots, etc. Banks and other legal entities are looking for another check. Would be difficult to move forward if forbidding CAPTCHA-type solutions.

Rachael: Conflict is between balancing security vs accessibility

<kirkwood> potentially alternative method(?)

John: Common objs is not just an accessibility problem. It is wider than just an accessibility issue.

EA: Agree. Objects aren't necessarily common across international audiences.

<kirkwood> +1 to EA on all points

<kirkwood> I hate the bridges!

David: Often there is a lack of clarity between similar objects

John K: Agree with all. From the perspective of limited FoV, clicking on the boxes is also a challenge.

Lisa: I've also failed these as well.

John K: The WORD test Captcha is also a challenge. I have difficulty recognizing the characters.

<EA> +1 to appreciating the security problem and the need to reduce spam, but we still need to improve the systems offered

<JohnRochford> Google reCAPTCHA v3: https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/

<JohnRochford> No cognitive function test.

Lisa to Rachael: Suggestion as to how we move forward?

<kirkwood> +1 that works JR

<LisaSeemanKest> the tick here if you are not a robort seems to work for all of us

Rachael: I will take it back, and provide some alternatives like the latest version of reCaptcha. However, as I understand it as written if they want to use images and provide an alternative without a cognitive function test, we should be ok.

Lisa: How hard of a stand do we want to take on this issue?

John R: I've been identifying this as an issue since 2014. I strongly believe that we should take a hard stand. If we are presented with an ultimatum that success criteria won't go through without this, then I think we should stand firm.

<LisaSeemanKest> agreement that this is realy important

<EA> +1 we cannot say it works for people if it doesn't


<LisaSeemanKest> +1 this important

<JohnRochford> +1

outreach email to get people to join the community group

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/community/coga-community/

<LisaSeemanKest> https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/1890

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/community/coga-community/

Lisa: I will be sending out an email to people who join the community group welcoming them and ask them what they want to be getting out of it.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DoohB2-tREjXx7PF6sCi3jLt6OrjE1ciAb0Dcb7FgyU/edit#

LIsa: We want to recruit users. We're not limiting who can join.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RPD4pRLngZslj-KsRBlxknECCe0q1cDIx1eo0XyFGks/edit#gid=1127865154

Lisa: We're also keeping the above spreadsheet to keep track of who we're inviting.

Lisa: Biggest priority group to recruit is mental health experts.

Rachael: Do we have a plan for setting groups up and getting conversation going?

Lisa: I would like to send a welcome email to the list and invite folks to introduce themselves. Once we get that dialogue going, we can consider an open Town Hall.

<LisaSeemanKest> close item 5

Do we want every 6 months a “get to know you” sesion?

<kirkwood> +1


<Fazio> id prefer the beer

Rachael: From a facilitator standpoint in AG, we had success with picking a light topic to chat around. We've had success with that.

<kirkwood> agreed

<stevelee_> +1


<Roy> +1

<Rachael> +1

EA: I'm looking at forms for Mental Health orgs in the UK. I am wondering if we are allowed to use your email to get in touch with them?

<EA> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DoohB2-tREjXx7PF6sCi3jLt6OrjE1ciAb0Dcb7FgyU/edit#

<LisaSeemanKest> public-coga-community@w3.org

Lisa: They can get in touch with Rain or myself if they want someone to speak to.

can we each do a mental health reasech paper?

<LisaSeemanKest> form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGrqJKV7RluoYrKHJN8cBJH3w9sDx7lAlAhcV0BeBTUVybkw/viewform

<LisaSeemanKest> tracking what pepers are done https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XWmikm5Ein5CQ02knEJ5iGzO1YJMilTMBJ_aLVCTzs0/edit?usp=sharing

EA: I'm a bit snowed under at the moment unfortunately, so I'm unavailable for review.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Scribe_list

<Rachael> Enjoy everyone!

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Maybe present: David, EA, John, JohnK, Lisa, Rachael, Rachel