Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

28 July 2021


amy_c, becky, Fazio, JF, Jonny_James, Joshue, Joshue108, MichaelC, mike_beganyi, paul_grenier
janina, JF

Meeting minutes

<becky> regrets, gottfried zimmermann

<becky> chair, Becky

Agenda Review & Announcements

becky: asks?

TPAC Planning https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2021/GroupMeetings

<JF> I noted that the automotive group posted to our list as well

<becky> Janina: working on coordinating several groups for breakout sessions during TPAC: COGA, automotive, WCAG 3 maturity modeling, more

<becky> Fazio: asks about scope, is it beyond WAI

<becky> Janina: definitely that is the idea - for outreach throughout W3c

Task Force Updates

JS: Research Questions have decided to publish XAUR (XR Usability Requirements)

coming soon - SAUR (Syncronization) closingin on FPWD

doing some editorial cleanup

hope to have that published by August

with hope to have comments open to October

there is also a NAUR (Natural Language) coming from RQTF

also working on ... accessible real-time meetings

JS: Personalization - working through github issues

one issue (i18n) hope to have closed by TPAC

BG: thinks we're down to less than a dozen issues

<janina> paul_grenier: No mtg today, but checkin with MC; have laid out a timeline for clearing github issues

<janina> paul_grenier: working through them

<janina> Fazio: no COGA updates

FAST Progress

<janina> Joshue108: reviewing Jake's model

<janina> Joshue108: still processing WBS results

<janina> Joshue108: Will be meeting Friday--unless Jake is out

<janina> janina: asks whether APA can join?

<janina> MichaelC: Send me the request; it's technically under AGWG, but I can finess

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<janina> MichaelC: nothing new

Accessibility Review Comment Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<janina> MichaelC: one new issue

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/6890

<janina> MichaelC: discussion onoing

<janina> MichaelC: will subscribe on behalf of aria

<janina> MichaelC: we should track

+1 to Janina

Action: janina to followup on whether aria should export role attrib

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2300 - Followup on whether aria should export role attrib [on Janina Sajka - due 2021-08-04].

<janina> jf: notes it's a nonprefixed ARIA attribute; one of the only

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6310

<janina> MichaelC: only other issue is css color--on Amy's radar

<janina> amy_c: All good

<janina> MichaelC: Anyone uncomfortable with closing?

<janina> [crickets]

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<janina> MichaelC: nothing new -- other than some transitions

CSS Update (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<janina> amy_c: Begun looking at html

<janina> amy_c: finding lots of cool stuff; looking more closely as a result

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Web_of_Things_(WoT)_Profile

<janina> MichaelC: Looks at WoT ...

<janina> Joshue108: We thought Gottfried might want to work with WoT ...

<janina> MichaelC: to consider in context of other specs

<janina> Joshue108: WoT Chair did ack

<MichaelC> Previous discussion on WoT Profile: https://www.w3.org/2020/12/02-apa-minutes#item06

<janina> decision to bring to rqtf -- just like we said last time!

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Mitigating_Browser_Fingerprinting_in_Web_Specifications

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/2019/04/17-apa-minutes.html#item06

<janina> becky: Notes having difficulty writing up our comment -- help!

<janina> becky: notes js suggested using lionel's response, but thought it was a bit overwhelming for what we want

<janina> beck: we need a simpler statement; kybd operable, etc

<becky> It is imperative that the interface for picture in picture meets the

<becky> requirements of WCAG 2.1. All users must be able to find and navigate

<becky> to/from the picture in picture, and enable/disable/operate all controls

<becky> using various input modalities, color and contrast settings, and assistive

<becky> technologies.

<janina> MichaelC: suggests "imperative" too strong

<janina> MichaelC: suggest we can provide an example, but might be more complex than the wg would want

<becky> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2021Jul/0015.html

<janina> becky: they wanted an example

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say imperative, and also example

<janina> MichaelC: so, let's not worry about example

<janina> becky: will build a CfC

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Other Business

<becky> Janina: suggestions that accessibility api models need updating; should APA organize people to start thinking about AAPI++

<becky> Janina: some of this is being discussed by Shadi and others within scope of EU funding

<becky> Janina: some pushback from vendors regarding pronunciation and parsing SSML just to get pronunciation

<becky> Janina: current AAPI doesn't support streaming content well

<becky> Janina: believe we should be forward thinking about architecture going forward

<janina> jf: one problem is at vendors may have needs and ideas, but they're not in w3c feedback for the most part

<becky> Janina: suggesting TPAC would be a good forum for gathering interested experts - APA could host a meeting; this could help define what the architecture needs to encompass

<becky> paul_grenier: pronunciation feedback from AT is that it needs to be easy; but browser feedback is different - we may want to defer to the browser if we want this in the accessibility tree.

<becky> janina: sounds like a worthy topic for the 2nd week - an APA meeting to discuss this topic

Summary of action items

  1. janina to followup on whether aria should export role attrib
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/it's a nonprefixed role/it's a nonprefixed ARIA attribute

Maybe present: BG, JS