Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

05 May 2021


amy_c, becky, Fazio, Fredrik, Gottfried, Irfan, janina, JF, Lionel_Wolberger_, paul_grenier

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements;

becky: Two cfcs open currently.

<becky> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2021Apr/0025.html

becky: Amy's comment on CSS multi-column

<becky> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2021May/0001.html

becky: Publishing the FPWD of pronunciation wg

janina: 3rd CFC - RAUR finalization

Gottfried: Upcoming webinar on a master thesis on hands-free interaction with a VR serious game. Will send announcement soon.

becky: Also preparing recording of presentation on personalization by media queries level 5.

janina: Propose to elevate 2019 note on CAPTCHA to W3C statement level.

<becky> W3C Statements: https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Drafts/#note-track

TPAC Planning https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2021/GroupMeetings

becky: TPAC will be virtual in 2021.
… 18-22 Oct - breakout session

<becky> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2021/GroupMeetings

becky: 25-29 Oct other meetings
… Start planning agendas for your groups

janina: Some specs may be discussed. Pronunciation, WCAG 2.x, ...

Task Force Updates;

janina: RQTF is closing on RAUR, picking up comments on XAUR.
… Planning meeting with community group on deaf persons in immersive environments, tentatively on May 19

becky: Personalization reviewing past positions to avoid going in circles.
… Important to document past decisions.

<Fazio> coga is starting on mental health

becky: Moving towards CR.

Fazio: Mental health issue paper started a few weeks ago.

FAST Progress

MichaelC: User needs for Silver finished last week.
… Planning on a survey on user needs and definitions.
… Then mapping needs to the criteria and looking for gaps.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<MichaelC> https://w3c.github.io/charter-drafts/png-2021.html

MichaelC: PNG Working Group

MichaelC: PNG has a metadata field
… They haven't specified in the charter whether they want APA review

becky: Look at section 4: Each specification should contain a section on accessibility that describes the benefits and impacts, including ways specification features can be used to address them, and recommendations for maximising accessibility in implementations.
… Specification of a format is not of interest to us, but metadata on the image is

JF: Part of this is how PNGs are rendered in browser. This is not for us.

janina: We need to hear from them. What does metadata mean for them?

JF: What kind of metadata would we be looking for?

janina: Let's find out about the features.

becky: Metadata could be a "new feature"

MichaelC: Reading comments. We request additional information about this charter.

Horizontal Review Issues Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5678

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> WebTransport

MichaelC: "This document defines a set of ECMAScript APIs in WebIDL to allow data to be sent and received between a browser and server, utilizing [WEB-TRANSPORT-HTTP3]. This specification is being developed in conjunction with a protocol specification developed by the IETF WEBTRANS Working Group."

janina: HTTP issue years ago could be related?
… Change stuff on the pipe, affect a11y

MichaelC: We are not listed as liaison.
… Not sure if we need to be involved.

becky: It's all about APIs. I don't see anything directly related to a11y.

janina: IETF is working on HTTP 3.0

MichaelC: We should deal with that as a separate topic
… No need to review this spec

janina: agree

CSS Update (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/37

amy_c: CSS overscroll issue
… Where is this issue at?
… WD was June 2018

becky: Since they are working on it again, should we wait for a request?

amy_c: Yes

becky: You could point out accessibility issues to be addressed in the next spec.

amy_c: I want to have a look into their repo first. I will bring it back next week.

Dangling Spec Review Cleanup: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Category:Spec_Review_Assigned

janina: Spent time on language tags and local identifiers for the www
… Concerns about sign language designators. Still not sure about that.
… There are designators for sign languages, but sign languages are not coded in the same way as written languages.
… ISO 639-2 specifies language identifiers. Not sure if this is appropriate for this spec.
… Is there a github thread to ask them a question?

becky: They say that github issues are preferred

janina: I can file a github issue

MichaelC: There are sign language codes.

janina: Not sure it covers all it needs. May be incorporated by reference from BC-47. But not sure that covers all.
… Best to ask a question on github
… Metadata for embedded video could be relevant
… A sign-language alternative video could be marked with the corresponding language code, and could be programmatically associated as an alternative to text.
… We only missed to programmatically assign transcripts.
… Underrepresented in content, and underutilized in user agents.

JF: We did a lot of work around media. Some of it was adopted, but not always in practice.

janina: Where is that in the html5 spec

Lionel_Wolberger_: The automatic replacement is an elegant solution.
… Authors can do this in parallel.

janina: Even outsourcing to third parties possible.
… I will send a request on github

File API

Fazio: Looked at File API, https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/File_API
… Janina sent me an example. Need to further work on it.
… When do you need it?

MichaelC: No special rush, but always better sooner than later

Media Capabilities

MichaelC: Media Capabilities can go off this list

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/permissions-policy-1/

Permissions Policy, https://www.w3.org/TR/permissions-policy-1/

MichaelC: I think we should abandon this.

becky: "This specification defines a mechanism that allows developers to selectively enable and disable use of various browser features and APIs." - Sound scary.

MichaelC: We were worried about accessibility features being turned off by these capabilities.
… We need to reassign this to somebody else.

janina: This continues to be important.
… Personalization, pronunciation

becky: I can take it

Lionel_Wolberger_: Purpose might be to shut off extensions - for security

janina: Need to make sure it does not negatively affect a11y

Payment Request API, https://www.w3.org/TR/payment-request/

janina: Tried to add accessible receipting to the spec. But never happened.
… I would be happy for help on this.

Fredrik: I can help.
… Wondering about the timing of this issue.

janina: It has been open for a long time.

Fredrik: I can take it.

Lionel_Wolberger_: Could consider a note in the spec for a future spec

janina: Accessibility consideration statement
… We had some pushback on this
… We have more tools now to prevent the spec from being finalized. HR dashboard.

becky: Worthy of a more detailed look.

janina: Minimum is an accessibility consideration

MichaelC: There is an a11y consideration statement - 2 sentences
… Needs to be extended. Clarify and add.

Lionel_Wolberger_: We tried to get receipts on terms of conditions of water coolers. Taking forever.

MichaelC: The other two are on Josh.

becky: Adjourned

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 131 (Sat Apr 24 15:23:43 2021 UTC).


Succeeded: s/notes level/W3C statement level

Succeeded: s/happend/happened

Maybe present: MichaelC