Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

27 January 2021


amy_c, becky, Ela, IanPouncey, Irfan, janina, JF, Jonny_James, JPaton, Matthew_Atkinson, paul_grenier

Meeting minutes

<janina> /me I'm on my way. Another minute or so

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: I trimmed a few items from the agenda to get to our draft charter

janina: any additions or changes or items of news?

becky: I've accepted another position outside of Knowbility. Hopefully, I'll stay as co-chair.

Matthew_Atkinson: quick update, I had a look at the personalization repo and I'll get in touch with Joshua as needed

Open CfC

<becky> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2021Jan/0000.html

janina: we send to apa-admin so it's readable by everyone but only writable by apa members

janina: we only use it for things like voting

janina: I have a question about the first item

paul_grenier: the goal was to not allow for people to be excluded by their differences, I can take a compromise to not require only 1 biometric facet

janina: there's emerging wcag guidance we should sync with that

MichaelC: their guidance is generic

JF: (reading 3.3.7 strictly about coga)

janina: since this is a point release and it's not new major features, I propose we recast this and turn the biometrics into "must support multiple" and note that additional requirements are emerging

janina: they should plan on supporting any new guidance

JF: i don't think there's anything specific about biometrics

janina: CAPTCHA does

JF: we should point to that then

JF: "should not" instead of "must not" makes this a recommendation and doesn't sound normative

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask about WAI resources regarding biometrics

becky: so it needs reworded as "single biometric factor"

janina: note the 2019 CAPTCHA note

becky: do we include COGA notes or not?

janina: I think we give them a heads up, John can you drop the pointer?

<JF> Link to emergent WCAG 2.2 SC: https://w3c.github.io/wcag/guidelines/22/#accessible-authentication

<becky> WCAG 2.2 SC 3.3.7: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG22/#accessible-authentication

janina: when we send out the decision we cc the main list and we track it in the wiki

JF: becky and I pointed to different versions, I wouldn't point to the TR yet (use the editors draft)

JF: since there's nothing in wcag speaking to biometrics now can we pass that suggestion along to agwag?

MichaelC: we're not taking new guidelines for 2.x only for 3 right now. I don't think we need a formal request, someone can just bring it up.

JF: where would one bring it up?

MichaelC: with agwag in context of wcag 3

janina: first working draft released last week

<Matthew_Atkinson> Here's a pointer to WCAG 3 (via W3C's 'blog): https://www.w3.org/blog/2021/01/wcag-3-fpwd/

Task Force Updates

janina: RQTF met with internet of things today

janina: it was very productive, was everyone able to attend who wanted to?

janina: any other Tf updates?

FAST Progress

MichaelC: Josh and I have been working on FAST separately. Josh is working on content for functional requirements and AURs I'm working on a way to store and output this info. I hope I can demo soon (1-2 weeks).

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

MichaelC: only one, from the browser testing and tools WG (recharter)

<MichaelC> https://w3c.github.io/charter-drafts/browser-testing-tools.html

MichaelC: I don't personally have any comments

janina: anyone with a concern?

janina: we can pass on it

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MichaelC: two pubs wcag 3.0 and requirements for wcag 3.0

<MichaelC> W3C Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 3.0

<MichaelC> Requirements for WCAG 3.0

MichaelC: I don't have any comments, do we want apa review? We want a wide review but we don't typically review from accessibility groups.

janina: everyone should read and file comments as individuals (end of Feb deadline)

janina: does APA itself want to review?

everyone: silence

janina: there are some radically different things, so please provide your individual feedback

becky: lots of overlap in membership

CSS Update (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

CSS Update (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

amy_c: I have two I'd like us to look at

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/30

amy_c: first is a spec review for css timing function which is out of date now (2018) when you go to it it's called css easing functions which is a candidate recommendation

janina: are there other levels of this coming (level 1)

amy_c: last editor's draft was January, it's still active

janina: let's look to see if we have any issues in the latest draft whichever version it's pointing to

amy_c: they may have changed it from timing to easing to convey it's about animations rather than timeouts

IanPouncey: yes it's about mathematics of animation while it has an impact on accessibility it's not specific to this document

janina: so I think we pass on this

IanPouncey: there's no accessibility implications between the different functions

janina: no need to review

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/32

amy_c: a suggestion about having a pseudo class for role

amy_c: James closed an ARIA ticket for this so it's moved to CSS WG

JF: we should track it

amy_c: seems like a use case is for EPUB dealing with fallbacks from missing namespace role attributes

amy_c: (reading) there needs to be an api for computed role

IanPouncey: computed role selector would apply to implied semantics as well as role attribute

janina: has CSS agreed to discuss this?

becky: it was sent to us from ARIA

janina: we should open an issue and raise it with CSS

JF: does this blur lines between the classic separation of concerns?

IanPouncey: (example) looking for all headings you'd need to create a selector with role=heading as well as h1-h6 this would allow you to write a selector based on the computed role

IanPouncey: you don't want styles based on arbitrary appearance but on the semantics

janina: we should calendar discussion, so let's open the issue

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

JF: I had an action to look at the template for the minutes, I'm about 65% complete. I've noted a best-practice there is some content that's not inside a landmark.

JF: the new design does a good job for visual structure and I like it, I still need to review it in a screen reader.

janina: I haven't noticed any difference

JF: we should adopt it and encourage others to do so

janina: is the background a concern

JF: it's not an issue, color contrast was good throughout

JF: we can provide feedback that the background should not zoom but otherwise good to go

<MichaelC> w3t-sys@w3.org

MichaelC: the people on that list will either be the maintainers or know who the maintainers are

JF: I'll write up a draft response from APA in the next few days

<JF> Example of new minutes design: https://raw.githack.com/w3c/scribe2/master/sample-public.html

Action: Draft a response to Bert Boss and w3t-sys@w3.org

<trackbot> Error finding 'Draft'. You can review and register nicknames at <https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/users>.

Horizontal Review Issues Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Action: JF to Draft a response to Bert Boss and w3t-sys@w3.org

<trackbot> Error creating an ACTION: could not connect to Tracker. Please mail <sysreq@w3.org> with details about what happened.

APA Rechartering https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

becky: (reading scope)

janina: spoken presentation is a better name than pronunciation maybe we should change it

JF: I'm opposed to the change

JF: what about eml emotional markup language

janina: bring it up, if eml can help us all the better

<JF> EML: https://www.w3.org/TR/emotionml/

Summary of action items

  1. Draft a response to Bert Boss and w3t-sys@w3.org
  2. JF to Draft a response to Bert Boss and w3t-sys@w3.org
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Maybe present: everyone, MichaelC