Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

06 January 2021


amy_c, becky, Ela, IrfanA, JF, joconnor, JPaton, Léonie (tink), Matthew_Atkinson, NeilS, paul_grenier

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

Becky: Happy new year, all. Welcome to our new member Emanuela.

APA Rechartering -https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

<becky> https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

Becky: Looking for comments soon (need to have a final draft this month). Particularly the Scope and Out of scope sections.

JF: Concerned about the out-of-scope "technologies that do not interact with web content"—is XR web content?

Léonie: WebXR is web content.

Janina: Could say that when a UA is involved it's considered web content (or the port on which it's transmitted).

JF: Should we state that our remit doesn't extend to hardware or applications?

Léonie: for the XR aspect, should we scope it explicitly to WebXR?

Janina: RQTF sometimes explores areas a bit more widely than strictly web-only (recent example: media synchronization, captions).

Janina: (this sometimes helps feed back in to the web work)

Paul: XR/AR could be used in games, that may be on console (not web) or the web. Why would some of these experiences be considered, but not others?

Neil: Does this depend on APIs being used?

Becky: Should we scope it to W3C/web specifcations, as Léonie mentioned? Does anyone want to have a go at a revised description (offline)? Is it sufficient as-is?

Janina/Becky: let's develop any counterproposals on-list/GitHub.

Becky: if you have suggestions, please send to the list for discussion next time.

Becky: Are the bullets in those sections OK? (For big issues, we can discuss here; for editorial, we can use the list)

Task Force Updates

Paul: Pronunciation: we're focusing on chartering currently too. We are also creating approachable demos/artefacts to explain what we're working on to the general public.

Becky: Personalization: Also working on the charter; action items so that we can go to CR with our first module, on content.

Becky: Working on implementors and getting prepared to ask WHATWG for a prefix.

Janina: RQTF: Continuing to work through WebRTC Accessibility User Requirements document—some new use cases have come to light and we are having fruitful discussion. Working on a Working Draft before trying to finalize it.

Janina: also considering what RQTF would like to add to the APA charter.

Becky: APA met with Web of Things at TPAC and we're both keen to meet. This will likely be of most interest to RQTF. There will be a meeting in the RQTF slot on the 27th of January. Check for list traffic.

FAST Progress Josh

Michael: Work will be resuming shortly. The main document of user needs and the checklist are the current focuses, as well as integration with Silver.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22%22

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3

Michael: this is a CR snapshot.

Janina: there may be need for cross-reference with Silver with respect to color contrast beyond text.

Michael: We asked for something like this in the Color module.

Janina: heads up that the spec will have mathematical formulae in it that will enable a tool to help check for more contrast issues.

Michael: will defer this for now until we have the extra info.

<MichaelC> CSS Box Model Module Level 3

Michael: this is a CR snapshot too.

Amy: *to review*

<MichaelC> CSS Snapshot 2020

Michael: this is a Working Group note. Do we want to review it?

Michael: *suggests probably not*

Becky/Janina/Amy: no need to review

<MichaelC> Data Catalog Vocabulary (DCAT) - Version 3

Michael: This is FPWD.

Michael/Becky: Don't need to review (low-level)?

Paul: If this is about metadata, we would need to ensure that e.g. alt text is transmitted with metadata for an image.

Paul: *will review*

Action: Paul to review Editing Data Catalog Vocabulary (DCAT) - Version 3

<trackbot> 'Paul' is an ambiguous username. Please try a different identifier, such as family name or username (e.g., paulbohman, pgrenier).

Action: grenier to review Editing Data Catalog Vocabulary (DCAT) - Version 3

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2277 - Review editing data catalog vocabulary (dcat) - version 3 [on Paul Grenier - due 2021-01-13].

<MichaelC> The Screen Fold API

Michael: This is FPWD too.

Becky/Janina: is there anything about what to _do_ with the info?

Paul: there was a sentance in parens about locking (though this relates to the screen orientation API)

Michael: Perhaps changing the SHOULD there (in Posture values table) to something else. (First glance only.)

Paul: Can't allow one posture to be locked in.

Action: grenier to review The Screen Fold API

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2278 - Review the screen fold api [on Paul Grenier - due 2021-01-13].

Janina: *suggests posting to the list so we can make a WG comment*

<MichaelC> Web Authentication: An API for accessing Public Key Credentials Level 2

Michael: This was re-published as CR snapshot.

Janina: John Rockford [sp?] offered help with what's changed *will follow up*

CSS Checkin (Amy) https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues

<amy_c> https://www.w3.org/TR/css-color-adjust-1/

Amy: This is fine. A lot of mention is made of the fact that good contrast is not necessarily guaranteed and that it's important.

<MichaelC> action-2277: https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat-3/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2277 Review editing data catalog vocabulary (dcat) - version 3.

<MichaelC> action-2277: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Data_Catalog_Vocabulary_(DCAT)_-_Version_3

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2277 Review editing data catalog vocabulary (dcat) - version 3.

<MichaelC> action-2278: https://www.w3.org/TR/screen-fold/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2278 Review the screen fold api.

<MichaelC> action-2278: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/The_Screen_Fold_API

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2278 Review the screen fold api.

Amy: (could potentially include an accessibility section in future)

Janina: may be worth adding a note about upcoming tools to help people find/address contrast issues.

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/20

Amy: This issue is from 2018; looking for help tracking the conversation at the time.

Amy: alt was added and then apparently deprecated as a property (though implemented in Safari)

<amy_c> https://github.com/w3c/css-a11y/issues/21

Amy: this issue is related to the preivous one.

Amy: Do we need to keep these, or are they being discussed, or dropped?

<paul_grenier> (blog I mentioned https://adrianroselli.com/2020/10/alternative-text-for-css-generated-content.html)

Janina: ARIA has come up in a few issues across TFs today; shall we collect our thoughts and submit them for consideration for ARIA 1.3? Joint meeting?

<amy_c> blog from Bruce Lawson I mentioned https://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2014/notes-on-draft-css-alt-property/

Michael: (Likely ARIA 1.4.) Some of this perhaps fits the Accessibility Object Model and may help prgoress things there.

Janina: seems we have an interesting set of use cases (e.g. from WebRTC).

Janina/Becky/Michael: we should start a [wiki?] page to collect the info; contact ARIA.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Horizontal Review Issues Tracker https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Michael: https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/6218 - needs more discussion later.

Other Business

Becky: May need another community groups review at some point soon.

be done

Summary of action items

  1. Paul to review Editing Data Catalog Vocabulary (DCAT) - Version 3
  2. grenier to review Editing Data Catalog Vocabulary (DCAT) - Version 3
  3. grenier to review The Screen Fold API
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Maybe present: Amy, Becky/Janina, Becky/Janina/Amy, Janina, Janina/Becky, Janina/Becky/Michael, Léonie, Michael, Michael/Becky, Neil, Paul