Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

01 Jul 2020


nicolocarp_, janina, Joshue, Matthew_Atkinson, JF, NeilS, becky, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, Gottfried, Joshue108
Gottfried, JF


<Gottfried> scribe: Gottfried

Agenda Review & Announcements

APA Rechartering Begins

Janina: Our charter expires Aug 2021.
... Timeline: Reach our consensus by Jan 2021. Then hand off to W3C management.
... Initial draft expected in some weeks. Process concerns should be included.

Amy: What does the charter contain?

Janina: Formal operating license from W3C specifying what we want to accomplish and how. Every W3C wg has a charter.

<nicolocarp_> Thanks, clarification was needed for me too :)

Charter: https://www.w3.org/2018/08/apa-charter

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/charter latest-version link

John: Charter tells how much time we get from Michael.

<janina> https://www.w3.org/2018/08/apa-charter

Michael: Level of staff effort. Formal deliverables of the wg. People in the group have to accept the patent policy attached to it.

John: Every member - except invited experts - have a rep in the AC.

Task Force Updates (including COGA CfC Update)

<janina> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2020Jul/0000.html

Janina: Two CfC were going. One expired yesterday.

<janina> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2020Jun/0004.html

Janina: We responded on the survey of the WoT wg.
... We expect to have more relationship with them. We want to bring accessibility in as an essential part of their use cases.
... I went with them through their use cases.
... WoT decides which UC they want to have addressed first. APA will help in reviewing accessibility aspects.
... This is open until tonight. I will follow up with an email to the WoT wg.
... Pronunciation is on its way to CR.
... There was agreement on the technical approach, but now the tf is reconsidering it.
... We plan for another meeting to identify the best approach. Key players in implementation invited.

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask about XR

Attribute or SSML approach?

Joanmarie: In touch with NVDA developers?

Janina: Yes, trying.

Joanmarie: Maybe Reef Turner? or Mick

Janina: Hard to find a time to meet.

John: Did the research TF publish XAUR?

<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/TR/xaur/

John: There is now a subgroup of the Silver tf.

Janina: My goal was that emerging technologies would be accommodated in the development of AG.

John: I have concerns as AC rep.

Michael: We discussed your concerns today. Somebody will get to you.

Web & Machine Learning Workshop https://www.w3.org/2020/06/machine-learning-workshop/

Janina: Jutta Treviranus wrote a draft for the workshop.
... Others from us are interested to attend the workshop as well.

<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/MLWorkshop2020

Josh: This is my draft for a position paper. Questions we should bring in to the workshop.
... I am happy for people to contribute.
... Deadline for submissions is Jul 3.
... Please add your thoughts to this wiki page.

Web Maps Workshop https://www.w3.org/2020/maps/

Janina: I have a non-W3C entity person, from the American Printing House for the Blind.

<scribe> ... New map app, including annotation of POIs.

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: They are interested in this workshop.

<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Main_Page

<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/2020/maps/call-for-participation#position-statements

Josh: I put together a placeholder about this workshop.
... We should aim to have a position paper together by Jul 15.

FAST Progress -- Josh

Josh: No real updates from my side.

Janina: The FAST doc has been seen as relevant to help AG define its goals.
... It is about how to write an accessible spec.
... The groups that need horizontal review from us should respond to us on the FAST doc.

Michael: We have a framework on accessible specifications, did some work on user needs.
... It is starting as an AG subgroup.
... List of functional needs for all WAI guidelines.
... Collecting needs from other sources.
... Expect we will bring it back to APA in the near future.
... The checklist for horizontal review is related to this.
... But it is a different deliverable

Getting Horizontal Review https://www.w3.org/wiki/DocumentReview

Janina: Related to the W3C policy doc on horizontal review.
... It seems important to the management.

Michael: Started with Leonie asking who cares about horizontal review.
... I18n people identify the same problem as we.

Becky: I agree with i18n that it should be part of the doc and more formal.

Janina: Run a CfC in APA?

Michael: Not a formal deliverable of the group.

Janina: Anyone disagree?

Michael: Guidance on horizontal review belongs into process guidance documents of the W3C.

Janina: Hearing no disagreement, we should respond. Becky?

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Michael: No new charters last week.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> Decentralized Identifiers (DIDs) v1.0

Michael: They sent a wide review request a month ago. Want our response quickly.

Janina: I am about half way through. But did not see a problem, but could not assess the diagram.
... This spec is under the UI level. The spec is not about how things are presented to the user.
... Got hung up on the identification of humans, but there is no ui in the spec specified.

Gottfried: Diagram is a dead link in the spec.

Michael: Diagram shows up in the editor's draft.
... There is a description, but i can't tell if it is sufficient.

Janina: Can we talk them into using accessible SVG?

Michael: Text after the diagram could replicate the diagram's content.
... We could suggest accessible SVG, but we need to be prepared to help them do it.

Janina: Anybody willing to do this?
... I think we have no comments on this.
... I will keep reading and then send an email.

<MichaelC> DID Specification Registries

Michael: I think it is unlikely we want to comment on this.

Janina: Agree.
... Namespace for decentralized identifier registrations: w3.org/ns
... We are okay with this

<MichaelC> Requirements for Chinese Text Layout中文排版需求

Michael: No need to check on this, right?

Janina: Hearing no objection

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open


<trackbot> action-2239 -- Gottfried Zimmermann to Review media queries level 5, https://www.w3.org/tr/mediaqueries-5/ -- due 2020-03-18 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2239

<inserted> scribe: JF

GZ: a number of years ago at TPAC (Lisbon?) we talke to CSS WG. Discussed about User Preferences via media queries

this is emerging now - saw some of this in the spec

some aspects are starting to show up

we'd like to see *more* of these types of things - researched needs emerging from Greg V and Jutta K's work (GPII)

<Gottfried> Table of user preferences: https://remexlabs.github.io/GTx_HDM1.2aX/gpii-common-terms.html

Som eof this is only relevant at OS level, but there are a large number that are relevant to us - i.e. Session timeout

directly related to WCAG, so this would be an excellent solution for that

Leonie suggested it be brought up later - this is something we should discuss

JS: one of the tyhings that WoT placed on the table was a "follow me" feature/function, where your preferences would follow

GZ: this is what GPII is working towards as well
... the fact level 5 is only a delta from level 4, which is still in CR

So we could bring this to the level 5 work (even though level 4 is still in CR)

JS: so it's not too late to get stuff into level 5

JF: so what are next steps?

GZ: maybe a TPAC Session?

JS: that may be useful, but we should have a fuller agenda

GZ: maybe a list of new features we want in Level 5, so that would be the impetus of the call

Gottfried can also reach out to Greg V to see if there are more things emerging

[discussion around drafting Amy to do more stuff ;-) ]

GZ: perhaps he and Amy can work on this, create a wiki page and start getting draft language out there

<Gottfried> active fingerprinting

we can also look at discussing the active fingerprintering concern

JS: that may be something for decentralized identifiers.

<MichaelC> scribe: Gottfried

Community Groups Tracking Redux https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

Becky: We had looked at Web audio community group
... Better audio functionality on the Web. Want to engage with the audio wg.

Janina: I should join that group.

Becky: They have 46 participants. Have some participation on the mailing list.
... They have meetings and publish minutes.
... I am through new groups until end of April.

Janina: We skipped reviewing our dashboard - tabled for next week.
... We adjourn.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/07/01 17:00:38 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/members/member/
Succeeded: s/Reve Curner? or Nick?/Reef Turner? or Mick/
Succeeded: s/There is no a subgroup of the Silver tf./There is now a subgroup of the Silver tf./
Succeeded: i/GZ: a number of years ag/scribe: JF
Default Present: nicolocarp_, janina, Joshue, Matthew_Atkinson, JF, NeilS, becky, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, Gottfried
Present: nicolocarp_ janina Joshue Matthew_Atkinson JF NeilS becky Joanmarie_Diggs MichaelC Gottfried Joshue108
Found Scribe: Gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: Gottfried
Found Scribe: JF
Inferring ScribeNick: JF
Found Scribe: Gottfried
Inferring ScribeNick: Gottfried
Scribes: Gottfried, JF
ScribeNicks: Gottfried, JF
Found Date: 01 Jul 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]