Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

03 Jun 2020


janina, JF, MichaelC, becky, irfan, Matthew_Atkinson, Joshue, Joshue108


<becky> zoom is sluggish today

<scribe> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson

Agenda Review & Announcements

Janina: welcome to the group Neil.

Neil: *is working on a document about math accessibility and how it differs from general text*

<JF> https://github.com/w3c/image-resource/issues/7

JF: Mentions W3C working on something called 'image-resource' which allows bundling icon files/similar for applications. The group has been looking for suggestions as to how to provide labels. JF suggested a 'label' attribute.

Janina: *will add to agenda*

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to add a data point "New Business"

Task Force Updates

Janina: *wonders if anyone knows how close AGWG is to a CfC on the COGA document*

JF: poll ongoing deadline we think next week

Virtual TPAC 2020 Planning

Janina: we have some idea of usual groups we want to meet with and will be working on setting up meetings. Timeframe for scheduling isn't yet fully clear.

Michael: Typically the process starts in June, so could be soon.

FAST Progress -- Josh

Josh: Some development is ongoing on the FAST Checklist (interactivity).

<Joshue108> Here is a URL to the current prototype https://fast.realjoshue108.now.sh

Michael: Should we perform an internal APA review of how this is working (and then separately later for the content) before seeking wider review?

Janina: The checklist should help us get feedback from groups who use it, give us a way to help them make their specifications more accessible.

Josh: The URI for the prototype tool is above - please everyone check it out and let us know any feedback.

Michael: we could review it offline and then discuss in a meeting.

<JF> s/poll ongoing deadline we think next week /Ready for CFC after yesterday's edits are made

Janina: we can set up a WBS (questionnaire) and discuss results here.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

Action related to the image discussion mentioned above: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2256

<trackbot> Error finding 'related'. You can review and register nicknames at <https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/users>.

<JF> https://github.com/w3c/image-resource/issues/7

<JF> https://www.w3.org/TR/image-resource/

JF: appears this is intended for applications, not specifically the web. The images are described by dictionaries. The proposal was to provide a 'description' key to provide the alternative text.
... *suggested that associating a 'label' field and mapping along the lines of alt, aria-label or aria-labelledby. Also suggested that multiple labels may need to be provided if multiple images are found in a given icon file, for example.*
... they accepted the 'label' suggestion (but felt the multiple labels was not yet needed); Joanie has been looped in, in the expectation that UAs will eventually need to map this so that AT can extract the values.

Janina: sounds like this has been resolved successfully so we can close the APA action.

<MichaelC> close action-2256

<trackbot> Closed action-2256.

<MichaelC> All open actions: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

JF: *notes that we should use the link from Michael in the stock agenda*

<MichaelC> close action-2211

<trackbot> Closed action-2211.

<MichaelC> close action-2208

<trackbot> Closed action-2208.

<MichaelC> close action-2207

<trackbot> Closed action-2207.

<MichaelC> close action-2205

<trackbot> Closed action-2205.

<MichaelC> close action-2204

<trackbot> Closed action-2204.

<MichaelC> close action-2202

<trackbot> Closed action-2202.

<MichaelC> close action-2201

<trackbot> Closed action-2201.

<MichaelC> close action-2200

<trackbot> Closed action-2200.

<MichaelC> [mediaqueries-4 ] Deprecate 'speech' media type as well?

Issues Dashboard Review https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Michael: The CSS 'speech' media type has been depracated - do we agree with that?

Janina: does anyone disagree?

( That was https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1751)

<MichaelC> -> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/1929 unexpected focus results for tabindex + <dialog>.showModal()

Michael: closing the CSS media type issue

*General agreement in the group that this should be moved to the ARIA group*

Becky: this seems like something that should go in a document like the ARIA best practices.

Community Groups Tracking Redux https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

Janina: we last looked at this back in February. We need to make another pass soon.

Becky: looks like there have been quite a few in April.
... *offers to take this action*

Other Business

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/06/03 16:56:56 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

FAILED: s/poll ongoing deadline we think next week /Ready for CFC after yesterday's edits are made/
Succeeded: s/Michael: closing/Michael: closing the CSS media type issue/
Default Present: janina, JF, MichaelC, becky, irfan, Matthew_Atkinson, Joshue
Present: janina JF MichaelC becky irfan Matthew_Atkinson Joshue Joshue108
Found Scribe: Matthew_Atkinson
Inferring ScribeNick: Matthew_Atkinson
Found Date: 03 Jun 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]