Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

11 Sep 2019


janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, Matthew_Atkinson, MichaelC, interaccess, IanPouncey


<janina> agedna?

Agenda Review & Announcements

Next & Future Meetings -- Remainder of September

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: TPAC is next week, lots scheduled, with a small amount of open time later on the Friday.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: no APA call in the week after TPAC; next will be the 2nd of October.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: the agenda page for TPAC on the wiki provides info for people joining remotely, and background material.

TPAC 2019 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019

Workshop Updates

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: is attending the workshop on data models for transportation workshop.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (is going to be providing accessibility examples and advice)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: Looking to develop schemas that consider accessibility requirements.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (one good example is providing the ability to pay via the app, to negate currency issues. Other issues include communicating users' accessibility needs to drivers in advance of a ride)


<Matthew_Atkinson> Michael: It's a good thing to identify users' needs in advance. Could there be a risk of discrinmation however?

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: Perhaps the needs could be communicated after acceptance?

Task Force Updates

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: TFs are represented in the TPAC agenda well, and as much as possible.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: A meeting with COGA regarding the correct identification of symbollic and sign languages (i.e. ISO codes) has been recently added to the schedule.

<Zakim> joanie, you wanted to ask if we need to coordinate re CSS

<Matthew_Atkinson> Joanie: CSS discussion was mentioned, relevant to this topic.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: (wanted to check if we're happy with the agenda for the talk around CSS)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: the order of the agenda for the hour isn't yet fully decided; need to look into this.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: the meeting will be in the CSS room, so the WebEx logistics will be those for that room.

<IanPouncey> https://github.com/w3c/css-aam/issues/3

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: Re creation of CSS AAM, Joanie has volunteered to be a co-editor; need another, ideally from the CSS group.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: This is the biggest issue; expect to take up to 50% of the meeting (less if all are in agreement).

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (asks about the time on deciding /what/ needs to be mapped to the accessibility APIs.)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (suggests we focus on recruiting in this discussion)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: what expertise do we need in order to decide on the row labels for the AAM table (i.e. what needs to be mapped)?

<Matthew_Atkinson> Joanie: Direction on that needed from CSS. We already have some contacts that may be used to help populate the table, agrees the main issue is the /what/ that needs to be mapped. May find differing opinions on what the end-user experience needs to be. There already are things that are exposed. E.g. if a screen-reader developer feels they need some information exposed, they file an issue on the browser, and this has happened, but is not stan[CUT]

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: (notes that one of the links from the above issue is an issue in the CSS repo that presents a good example of a driver for AAM - text transform)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Joanie: What goes in an AAM is how to expose X to ATK, UIA, ... - however, in the case of text transforms, the text has already been exposed as being all-caps, so this may not be a good example of an accessibility-specific thing to map.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: May need to discuss further with CSS, this was something that contributed to starting the discussion.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (suggests a specific agendum for text transforms, to continue this discussion; Joanie agrees)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: Gap analysis of CSS speech

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (suggests 5min for this, to summarise the gap analysis; Ian agrees)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: Mechanism for controlling animation. Is CSS the right place to afford this? Details as to how could be a longer discussion.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: CSS provides many features for authors. Could also provide features for users to control presentation - the example of animation control being a good one.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: this started being thought of as a vision issue; also is cognitive.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: another example is abilty to mute sounds.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: we need not put this in WCAG, as a regulatory solution, seems that it should be possible to adopt a technological solution. Other examples include controlling interlinear and inter-word spacing (including punctuation).

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: (suggests 20min; Janina agrees)

<Matthew_Atkinson> Ian: Clarify effect of list styling on speech output.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: (suggested the issue; suggests it can be dropped; allows more room for other topics; could revisit if time)

<Zakim> Joshue108_, you wanted to ask about co-ord with TAG at TPAC

<Matthew_Atkinson> Josh: (TAG presence being organised)

Horizontal reviews https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<scribe> scribe: becka11y

Matthew: posted to the list a possible process for reviewing the HTML spec updates;
... there is a substantial amount to review (so large git can’t preview)

Janina: this will be a problem for all groups that need to review

Matthew: if the proposed process looks good - I can take a stab at implementing

<MichaelC> ACTION: atkinson to review HTML 2019-07

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2210 - Review html 2019-07 [on Matthew Atkinson - due 2019-09-18].

<MichaelC> action-2210: https://html.spec.whatwg.org/review-drafts/2019-07/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2210 Review html 2019-07.

Janina: I will talk about the issue of how to review HTML spec at TPAC since it affects many groups and needs input from other W3C groups
... I will help review

<MichaelC> action-2210: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/HTML_2019-07

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2210 Review html 2019-07.

<MichaelC> action-2210 due 31 Oct

<trackbot> Set action-2210 Review html 2019-07 due date to 2019-10-31.

<MichaelC> ACTION: janina to review HTML 2019-07

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2211 - Review html 2019-07 [on Janina Sajka - due 2019-09-18].

<MichaelC> action-2211: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/HTML_2019-07

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2211 Review html 2019-07.

<MichaelC> action-2211: https://html.spec.whatwg.org/review-drafts/2019-07/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2211 Review html 2019-07.

<MichaelC> action-2211 due 31 Oct

<trackbot> Set action-2211 Review html 2019-07 due date to 2019-10-31.

Michael: 3 pronounciation docs - we already approved ;-)

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/ File API

<MichaelC> ACTION: janina to draft accessibility impact statement for File API

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2212 - Draft accessibility impact statement for file api [on Janina Sajka - due 2019-09-18].

<Matthew_Atkinson> Joanie: Janina: Michael: (the spec only covers non-UI issues; however impact statement may be of help)

<MichaelC> Self-Review Questionnaire: Security and Privacy

<Matthew_Atkinson> Michael: There may be privacy/fingerprinting issues, so perhaps should review (group agrees to leave open for now)

<MichaelC> Verifiable Credentials Data Model 1.0

<Matthew_Atkinson> (group agrees to leave the above open, as well as Web of Things)

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

Community Groups Tracking Review https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

Other Business

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: atkinson to review HTML 2019-07
[NEW] ACTION: janina to draft accessibility impact statement for File API
[NEW] ACTION: janina to review HTML 2019-07

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/09/11 17:01:17 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Perhpas/Perhaps/
Succeeded: s/filed/suggested/
Present: janina Joanmarie_Diggs Matthew_Atkinson MichaelC interaccess IanPouncey
Found Scribe: becka11y
Inferring ScribeNick: Becka11y
Found Date: 11 Sep 2019
People with action items: atkinson janina

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]