Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

21 Aug 2019


janina, Becka11y, Joshue, Joanmarie_Diggs, Léonie, (tink), jasonjgw, MichaelC, Irfan, Matthew_Atkinson, JF, IanPouncey


<scribe> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson

Agenda Review & Announcements

TPAC 2019 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019

Janina: have firmed-up time with WebRTC (Friday at 1); work on scheduling is ongoing.
... Hoping to have discussions with Immersive Web; APA has been doing work in this area, e.g. from RQTF and Joshue.
... Also thinking about meeting with the Authentication group. This could relate to the CAPTCHA work.

Michael: the work being done on Distributed Identifiers may be very helpful in this regard.
... the group is being set up; worth looking into it to ascertain if it may help.

Janina: (agrees)
... More FAST conversations may be good. (Joshue and Michael agree)

Community Groups Tracking Review https://www.w3.org/2018/08/01-waicc-minutes.html#item04

Distributed/Decentralized Identifiers mentioned above is: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/did-spec/

<JF> www.w3.org/2019/04/dmpl

JF: the above spec appears to be a way to specify/manage conversational interfaces.
... Various other AI/chat-related specs are referenced.
... seems to be very-much about creating intelligent bots.

Janina: Reminiscent of the work done on VoiceXML to allow for users who don't e.g. hear or speak. This could be an alternative modality for such interfaces. (General agreement)

Janina/Josh: (context of XR) if the user has a certain disability, instead of eating bandwidth transmitting presentational elements that the user cannot consume, "modality muting" could be employed to stop transmission of those channels.

scribe: This would be less redundant for the user, and could have better performance.
... May also apply to games (Matthew agrees; it's like the general case of Audio(-only) games.)

Becky: (seeks clarification) we need to go through the list of community groups and identify the ones that should be tracked. Then figure out how to assign people. (Janina agrees; we may need to amend the current matrix used for tracking.)
... (to cover people who may be non-members/invited experts and so on)

Becky/Janina/Michael: we need to know when someone's not assigned and date of last update.

Janina: Need to know: who's doing the work, who's tracking and who's reporting.

<Becka11y> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

Workshop Updates

Task Force Updates

Janina: Pronounciation WG is getting closer to publication.

Irfan: Working on final editing folloiwng merging in some changes.

Janina: user requirements; usage scenarios and a gap analysis are included in the document.
... Joshue is working on use cases for WebRTC and another document on making XR accessible (looking at the user requirements): XAUR (modelled on the MAUR approach).

JF: Personalisation wants to provide a way to use a symbol to correspond to specific concept that has meaning. We need a standard way to reference the symbol that represents a specific concept. The numbers need to be standard. E.g. "foo" can then be mapped to any number of symbols, making symbol sets interoperable. Work ongoing.

Horizontal reviews https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Michael: nothing new

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Irfan: [ the Pronounciation Use cases doc is ready to go through the publication process ] (CFC imminent)

Michael: CSS Display Module is in CR; has one issue remaining.

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3040

Ian: per the thread, it appears there's an implementation issue; could be prevented in future by having an AAM (Accessibility API Mapping; as with HTML/ARIA).
... It appears that browsers are addressing this issue (from the thread: reports on Chrome and Firefox).
... Do we need to pursue this as an issue?

Michael: Good if it's fixed, though also helpful to have notes about potential gotchas.

JF: CanIUse has had contributions that indicate this is moving to partial support (with notes about potential issues in use).

<JF> https://github.com/Fyrd/caniuse/pull/4706

Ian: (to investigate further)

<MichaelC> CSS Lists Module Level 3

Michael: CSS List Module is in wide review.

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/CSS_Lists_Module_Level_3

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

Other Business

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2019Aug/0008.html

Janina: [the above link is to] the CfC for three Pronunciation Task Force FPWDs

<IanPouncey> https://github.com/w3c/css-aam/issues/3

Joanie: (volunteers to be a co-editor of a potential CSS AAM) The people who create the specs (e.g. HTML, CSS) need to decide what should be exposed by the accessibility APIs - then each accessibility API group would decide how to expose those things on their platform.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/08/21 17:03:15 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: janina, Becka11y, Joshue, Joanmarie_Diggs, Léonie, (tink), jasonjgw, MichaelC, Irfan, Matthew_Atkinson, JF, IanPouncey
Present: janina Becka11y Joshue Joanmarie_Diggs Léonie (tink) jasonjgw MichaelC Irfan Matthew_Atkinson JF IanPouncey
Regrets: Gottfried
Found Scribe: Matthew_Atkinson
Inferring ScribeNick: Matthew_Atkinson
Found Date: 21 Aug 2019
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]