Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

17 Apr 2019


janina, Fazio, Matthew_Atkinson, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, irfan, JF, IanPouncey, Becka11y, Joshue108_


<scribe> scribe: becka11y

Agenda Review & Announcements

janina: will discuss if we have any fingerprinting concerns with recent spec

zakin, take up item 2

TPAC 2019

Janina: looks like our meeting dates will be Thursday and Friday; need approval from ARIA group; matrix to be released later this week so we can see schedule
... we do have requests for meetings; time to put up an APA TPAC page? TPAC is 5 months away

<inserted> Meeting page for TPAC 2019

Task Force Updates

ian: meeting with css working group around text-transform - conclusion was that more research is needed; I am conducting that research on the JAWS side of things
... consensus that transformed data is exposed to AT should continue. Discussion was around if this could be done better; proviide both transformed and untransformed or provide untransformed and directions so SR can make the transformation
... each time we find a discrepancy, it makes the case for further research (example: handing the display property - it needs to be spelled out

janina: are we keeping a list of this type of features?

ian: that info is on tickets and mailing lists so need the research to dig out the issues; the transform issue was raised via a ticket
... what should AAM document - the spec or the existing implementations?
... AAM = Accessibility API Mapping

Michael: we have a TR item while Ian is still here
... CSS transforms level 1 - we sent feedback in 2009 - and reviewed the timeline; still need additional feedback

<MichaelC> CSS Transforms issues

ian: request was for new functionality that would apply to several models, it could affect more than CSS transforms (ex: animated gifs)

Michael: but still a CSS issue - it enables animation that can not be stopped

ian: but people can use reduced motion media query

Michael: feels that this needs to be called out in the spec that authors must respect the reduced motion query

Janina: we discussed that it would be good to have a global solution;

JF: animation can be acheived in multiple ways - mp4 is a media file; gif is a file format - so need a global solution

Michael: used to be able to stop with space but no longer works
... there are many ways to create animations; each might need its own way to stop/start; a single solution would be better but we can’t wait for that - need it called out in each spec

Ian: media query works for CSS and Script

Michael: and still depends on author to implement; Not everyone wants to turn off all animations globally (ie via preference for reduced motion)

Ian: solution for instance by instance is harder to sell than global solution

Michael: but on a page I would like to have a mechanism to stop all animations on the page;

Ian: WCAG only requires the start/stop per animation

Michael: 2 ways to control and animation - 1 use reduced motion media query; 2 - script option on the page - should mention both of those in the css transform spec

Ian: I’ll raise an issue for this

Irfan: plan to have draft documentation by TPAC for pronounciation

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> Accessibility Conformance Testing (ACT) Rules: Common Input Aspects

Michael: no need to review

Janina: group agrees

<MichaelC> Strings on the Web: Language and Direction Metadata

Janina: group agrees no need to review

JF: does this have an impact on pronounciation task force?

Janina: possibly but not really any directionality for SR, it moves always moves forward in time
... SR will read the direction that is provided

Michael: feel that is isn’t really a horizontal review

JF: willing to take a quick look

<MichaelC> ACTION: JF to review https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/WD-string-meta-20190416/ Strings on the Web: Language and Direction Metadata with a focus on Pronunciation TF

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2190 - Review https://www.w3.org/tr/2019/wd-string-meta-20190416/ strings on the web: language and direction metadata with a focus on pronunciation tf [on John Foliot - due 2019-04-24].

JF: it strenghens our position if we do review these types of items

Michael: a horizontal review is meant to flag a11y issues in the spec, this is more like a review

<MichaelC> WebVTT: The Web Video Text Tracks Format

Janina: we were directly asked to review this
... both JF and I have looked at it an agree there is no issue

<MichaelC> Feature Policy

Michael: using CFC so that people understand that if they ask us, they will get an answer back; helps strenghen our position for futher review;
... allows disabling of certain features in the browser for security purposes
... concerned that accessibility features could be removed so feel we need to review

<MichaelC> ACTION: cooper to review https://www.w3.org/TR/feature-policy-1/ Feature Policy

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2191 - Review https://www.w3.org/tr/feature-policy-1/ feature policy [on Michael Cooper - due 2019-04-24].

JF: would be good to get more people reviewing;

Michael: this coming from the security group and they have been fairly responsive to accessibiity issues

<MichaelC> action-2191: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Feature_Policy

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2191 Review https://www.w3.org/tr/feature-policy-1/ feature policy.

<MichaelC> action-2190: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Strings_on_the_Web:_Language_and_Direction_Metadata

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2190 Review https://www.w3.org/tr/2019/wd-string-meta-20190416/ strings on the web: language and direction metadata with a focus on pronunciation tf.

<MichaelC> action-2191 due 3 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2191 Review https://www.w3.org/tr/feature-policy-1/ feature policy due date to 2019-05-08.

Janina: if inform the user about security changes it can cause problems for users as well, they can’t get anything done

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

User Timing & Web Fingerprinting

Janina: 2 specs - pointers are in the agenda

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Mitigating_Browser_Fingerprinting_in_Web_Specifications

<janina> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/User_Timing_Level_3

Janina: Question: is the user timing spec going to trigger finger printing?
... the Mitigating spec tries to address fingerprinting, should we review?

Michael. thus, do we think we need a more thorough review since they are addressing the issue?

Janina: for user timing I suggest we have no comment. I read it and think there is no issue based on my understanding

Michael: will mark the user timing as complete

Janina: I read the mitigating fingerprinting spec. It appears to address the issues. We may want to add that it is an accessibiity issue

Michael: it has been suggested that using a screen reader or timing of clicking or movement issues can detect AT
... if page provides an input controls that is normally activated via mouse; someone using a different input mechanism - keyboard or head mouse, etc may have a different movement pattern that can be fingerprinted

Janina: yes, this was addressed in CAPTCHA document

<janina> https://w3c.github.io/apa/captcha/

Josh: wants to verify is referring to detecting a given user based on usage characteristic vs. acutal finger print identification

Michael: correct
... I suspect we have comments on this specification

several folks: agree that is is creepy and like big brother watching

Josh: also easy to get incorrect

<JF> @Michael - bingo!

Michael: example is adverts. today they can be influenced by multipe users on the same computer; but with fingerprinting they can be more user specific

Josh: spec does mention identical entropy - and issues determining difference between similar users?

Janina: asks Matthew for any progress on the spec

Matthew: will have something by next week

Janina: I think we need to bring this back for more discussion unless someone can review?

Michael: I think the spec references to accessibiity is being able to get at something vs. our definition

<Joshue108_> +1 to Michael

Janina: so they at least need to define their terms

Michael: I don’t know if there has been a wide review, although that is not required for Notes

Janina: but there should be, esp. with regard to a glossary and defining terms

Josh: should also be some sort of review for this creepy type of monitoring

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: cooper to review https://www.w3.org/TR/feature-policy-1/ Feature Policy
[NEW] ACTION: JF to review https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/WD-string-meta-20190416/ Strings on the Web: Language and Direction Metadata with a focus on Pronunciation TF

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/04/17 17:04:33 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: i/zakim, next item/Meeting page for TPAC 2019
Succeeded: s/specs/css transform spec/
Succeeded: s/than/like/
Present: janina Fazio Matthew_Atkinson Joanmarie_Diggs MichaelC irfan JF IanPouncey Becka11y Joshue108_
Regrets: Jonny
Found Scribe: becka11y
Inferring ScribeNick: Becka11y
Found Date: 17 Apr 2019
People with action items: cooper jf

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]